Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is a neat idea for a thread, I never even heard of this particular game for Game Boy before.

The Game Boy was the first video game system I ever owned, and I remember a lot of fun road trips thanks to it, including the who-knows-how-many years it took me to beat Super Mario Land (in my defense I was 6 when I first started playing that).

I even have a (barely held together with tape) guide from 1991 that had in-depth strategies on like 30 or so games, as well as little blurbs on another 100 or so in the back. It's one of the many things I would utilize before going to FuncoLand to get a used game that seemed interesting from stuff I had read. Someone's even uploaded it to the Internet Archive which is really nice. It's over here if anyone's curious.

I've actually been playing through the games listed in that guide over the past month as a 30 year retrospective sorta thing for me, so this is right up my alley.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glare Seethe posted:

As an aside, I was a little disappointed that BGB skips the Nintendo startup logo and the accompanying 'ping'.

I can't really think of an emulator that does have the startup sequence, mostly since that's built into the system hardware and not the cartridge ROM.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mode 7 posted:

Excited to get underway, I'll also share a super secret controls tip for Monster Max when we kick off because as far as I know the game doesn't tell you about it anywhere and it's essential to progress. Fun!

Ah, the good old days when Instruction Manuals existed and you needed to read them or you were hosed.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Only had a little bit of time to mess around with this game so far, it's interesting but clearly a Rare game in that it's designed to punish the player for spurious reasons. Even in the "Playpen" training area where without warning a block vanished and dropped me down a floor.

The music is really drat nice though, I especially like how if you idle long enough Max pulls out a guitar and starts jamming and the music changes.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, all these people's collections are just reminding me of how I foolishly got rid of most of my Game Boy games at one point, or worse, had them stolen. I lost my SP and a good chunk of games after a class trip to Atlanta, Georgia (I think I just forgot it on the plane after arriving back but who knows, really). And I'm 99% sure all of my other original Game Boy hardware (Game Boy Player notwithstanding) is long gone. Slowly I've been rebuilding my collection even though I maybe only have 25% of the games I originally did, plus a load of other games that I either didn't know about at the time or wanted to get but didn't. I'll take pictures when I have a chance.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 3, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So the music is good and the environments are varied and look nice enough but man this gameplay just punishes you. I got stuck on the first mission of the second floor because It seems to be demanding a pixel-perfect jump out of me to do a long jump and yeah that's not happening.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Illuminado posted:

I was having a lot of issues with the platforming too, if you just HOLD DOWN the jump button it will immediately launch you up again, so you don't have to try to do frame-perfect jumps or anything.

It was less a double jump and more a long jump across a two block gap...or at the very least that's what I thought it wanted me to do

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Illuminado posted:

If it's the one with the block that disappears, you can jump on it really quick before it disappears and then make it to the next one by holding down the jump, hth.

No it's not that, the jumping across disappearing blocks thing is easy by comparison.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HMC posted:

Made it to the end of the third level where you have to assassinate the alchemist. Wasn’t sure how to beat him. Thought maybe I could jump on his head and plant a bomb. No dice. Mission failed. :negative:

Fortunately, these levels don’t take as long to finish once you’ve done them once. Still rather enjoying this game.

That one i figured out. If you want I can explain (behind spoiler tags just in case people want to figure it out on their own)

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 7, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HMC posted:

I ended up looking up the solution and felt kinda dumb. Didn't realize (or forgot?) I could push mines. Though, in my defense, the fact that the mines explode as quickly as they do means they don't exactly encourage experimentation.

I mean I streamed myself playing it and I think I spent a good 3-5 minutes trying to figure out what the game wanted me to do before I just kinda stumbled upon it, and yeah I agree with what you said.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wario Land came out the same year so just for a thought experiment imagine Wario having an isometric looting adventure. Even makes sense with the whole money/bounty system.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

I've always liked Heiankyo Alien and Elevator Action, they're generally my go to games. For some reason I find the shotgun in Elevator Action one of the most satisfying video game guns and it is the version of the game that finally got me to like it. I never played the arcade original and I recall disliking the NES port for some reason.

I'll second Elevator Action for the Game Boy. The NES version feels slow and clunky, the Game Boy version by contrast is smooth and the shotgun is amazing as stated before. As soon as I'd get one I'd basically never try to swap it for another weapon. It's head and shoulders above every other weapon in that game.

For those who want a bit of sports in their life, the game boy version of Blades of Steel is a great port of the NES version and also has the option to play the Penalty Shot and Fight minigames at any time.

And for those who want an improbably good fighting game, King of Fighters '95. It's fast, fluid, plays well, has a decently-sized roster (with hidden characters!), and because they weren't trying to do a 1:1 graphics port it doesn't suffer the pitfalls that many other fighting games for the OG Game Boy suffered.

Also I'd say R-Type II is a pretty good shooter (either the regular GB version or the R-Type DX re-release that also contained the GB originals of R-Type I and II), but that might be bias on my part because it's literally the only shmup I've ever beaten without having to resort to freeplay cheats.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 27, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mode 7 posted:

It's been interesting reading various people's reactions to the game - a lot of the things that people criticize as unfair or unpolished seem fitting to me for a game designed by the team behind Head over Heels and with a lineage of various British isometric ZX Spectrum adventure games. I assume that sort of gameplay was never as popular in the US (where microcomputers were a distant second to consoles as I understand it) whereas the UK had a much stronger focus on microcomputer gaming. Australia from what I remember was a very mixed grab-bag of both because we'd take whatever we could get our hands on, but a lot of it was before my time or when I was quite young so I only have hazy memories of what the times were like - feel free to correct me if I've made any incorrect assumptions.

I mean a game can be hard without feeling unfair, but Rare loves to straddle that line with a lot of their games, this included. I'd say it's not one of Rare's most egregious examples at least. I liked it, I just didn't have the time to continue playing it and get past that pixel-perfect jump gap.

Mode 7 posted:

For those of you turned off by Monster Max, rest assured that we have a very different game starting in just under 24 hours that may tickle your fancy a little more...

Thanks to everyone who has participated or stopped by the thread to talk about the Game Boy, it's been great to see.

Oh nice I literally just bought a cartridge of this the other day!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Illuminado posted:

Donkey Kong also was purpose built for the Super Gameboy with tons of little extras such as this border:

The Super Game Boy started (continued?) Nintendo's long tradition of cool and functional tech that nobody really took advantage of for various reasons.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Illuminado posted:

My cousin had it, and I got to play it over one summer, had a lot of fun with it, but never beat it.

Looking forward to hopefully finishing this one.

My cousin also had it and I never got past the first 4 levels (because for some reason the mechanics of Donkey Kong escaped me at the age of 10). So learning about what it turned into afterwards was very much an eye-opener.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sadly I wanted to play this on real hardware at least for a bit, but my cartridge's battery is dead and thus no way to save progress (and I can't replace the battery at this time)

So it's back to emulation for me once I'm home from vacation.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mode 7 posted:

I've finally managed to find a physical copy being auctioned at a price I'm willing to pay so hopefully in the next few days I'll have the cart, otherwise I'd better jump on an emulator so I can finish before the end of the month!

Better hope the Battery's still working otherwise get ready to solder :v:

Also big thanks to whoever linked Sameboy earlier in the thread, I used it last night for a stream and I was duly impressed with it, including how it has GBC palettes for games that never had such a thing. I'll have to go back and get an example when I'm at my home computer.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

if the first thing you do when you get an old cart with a battery backup isn't replacing said battery i don't even know what you're doing tbh

Not owning a soldering iron, for one :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

If you gotta stall out, you could do worse than Egypt, which has the best map music in the universe.

I can confirm this, having also stalled out in Egypt

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So yeah I definetely had to tap out at the level in world 5 where you basically have to build your own platforms. Not that I think it's impossible, I just don't have the time to think through it. Still, got a couple of good streams out of the game and it was a lot of fun to finally see what the fuss was about with it. It's really neat to see how so much of Mario's 64-bit moveset is shared with this game in weird ways (the triple jump ending with the flourish, the backflips, etc. )

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with either, I'd prefer something off the beaten path but given that I didn't have any time to play last month's game I'm also good with something familiar.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's been a long time since I played LA but depositing your seashells in groups of 5 gets you a bonus shell for every deposit, right?

Essentially yes, although you don't have to do it in groups of 5, it's just a bonus for every 5 you drop off, if I remember right.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can definitely see, given how oddly the hint is worded, how someone would get confused, especially if their first language wasn't English

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This is something I feel is missing from games nowadays. Yeah it's a really simple thing but a "thank you for playing" is something I remember from my formative years, a lot of Nintendo games having a thank you message, and I remember some Capcom games having them as well (MVC1 in particular?). Again, it's really silly but it's kind of nice to see after the time investment and the experience.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

WOW! THIS LOOKS REALLY HEAVY!! etc..

Probably my major complaint with LA'93.

Ha, I said the same thing when I was streaming it a few days ago.

Anyway, because of this thread I actually went out and bought myself a GBA SP, although to be honest I now kind of want to get my hands on a backlit modded regular GBA just because I liked that form factor more.

to my surprise and joy, the backup battery on my copy of Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening DX that I've had since it came out in 1998 still functioned. Course I'm also worried it could die at any moment and considering that top save file is on the very final dungeon (for some reason I just never managed to win the last fight) that would kind of suck. Partially because of the lost effort but also because it represents a "white whale" of game completion that I just never managed to accomplish while younger (and for the life of me can't even remember why ).

While i'm at it, here's almost everything else Game Boy related I currently have (not pictured: the Game Boy Player for my Gamecube or the Retron 5 I own)

Game Boy
Here's the games that I owned at one point before I started rebuilding my collection about 5 years ago. I think the only "originals" (as in, have owned them all this time) I have in this are Tetris, Final Fantasy Legend III, and Choplifter II

(Games I owned but don't have currently, and can recall: Fortified Zone, Super Mario Land 1 + 2, Baseball, Asteroids/Missile Command, Battlezone/Super Breakout, Pokemon Red, Pokemon Yellow, Game & Watch Gallery, Street Fighter II, Game Boy Camera (specifically the Gold version you could get from Nintendo Power) )

Here's the rest of my current collection

Game Boy Color
Games I owned at one point before 2014 ("originals": Super Mario Deluxe and Link's Awakening DX)

(Games I owned but don't have currently: Game & Watch Gallery 2, Micro Machines 1&2: Twin Turbo. I feel like I had more but unfortunately this is around the time I started discovering emulation so what I owned and what I emulated are bleeding together )

Everything else

Game Boy Advance
Games I owned before 2014 ("originals" : Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Fire Pro Wrestling 2)

(Games I owned but don't currently have: Namco Museum, Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Advance 3: Super Mario World, Star-X, Advance Wars, Advance Wars 2)

Everything else

I should really see if my brother has any of the older cartridges I owned, I know some of them are lost forever because of trading them in or losing my GBA it Atlanta.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love the new graphics and soundtrack but this is the main reason the remake is the definitive version now imo. It only shows you if you purposely press a against a boulder in it before getting the bracelet.

As in purposefully pressing against it for more than one nanosecond? Because that would be a great change.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes. You can rub against them all you want and it doesn’t trigger it. It only does when you’re facing it and you press A after the prompt appears.

Oh awesome, that's exactly what it should be.

Also I took all those photos earlier and completely forgot to upload the one import game of my collection (thus far)

I saw this at a con, interspersed with other Game Boy games and the fact it was a Hudson Soft title intrigued me. It's a very interesting game that mixes turn-based SRPG mechanics with Chess. For whatever reason it was only released in Europe, ported from a Japan-only Famicom game.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So, due to time constraints I just couldn't get my run of Link's Awakening finished...so I decided to finish what my high-school self started and complete my old save file of the game.

I remembered why I "quit". The final iteration of the final boss can only be hurt with arrows...needs like 15-20 of them to kill it, and I just didn't have any at all. I guess I probably planned to go back to the shop and buy more like I did this time but I probably ended up losing my GBA around that time and just never got back to it. Until now.

Sadly no "golden ending" as I'm sure I'd died plenty back then. But I finally finished the first Zelda game I really ever played (I had played a bit of the original Link's Awakening probably the year it came out, only really sinking into it when I got my hands on the DX edition)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can kill the final form of the nightmare with the boomerang. He dies in one shot I think on the original but they changed that for the remake I noticed.

for gently caress's sake :argh:

Oh well.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wish I wasn't stuck in the "Tower Monster" which is like the first real stage after the intro. Only being able to take two hits combined with all the platforming surrounded by spikes makes it nearly undoable.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Best of all, you can just let go of walls if you don't feel like jumping into a ceiling of loving spikes!

Automatically makes it 100% better than Gargoyle's Quest I

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

e: my "biggest bullshit game" was Hyper Lode Runner (Robocop is an honorable mention). Hyper Lode Runner had some really fun gameplay but gated it behind ridiculously difficult puzzle levels that effectively reduced it to "demo with editor" for 10-year-old me.

I was so disappointed when I played Hyper Lode Runner earlier this year. Couldn't figure out how it could be so obtuse considering what I knew and had played of other Lode Runner games

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

That being said, I can think of much worse ways to spend 20 minutes on the Game Boy (the deplorable Total Carnage, for example, quickly earned the nickname "Total Garbage" from my 8-year-old self for being ugly, boring and above all just an awful racket of noise -- in other words, it's poo poo).

Who the hell took a look at Total Carnage, a game that relies on having a lot of sprites onscreen and a lot of stuff going on and decided "I'm going to put it on the Game Boy which is not at all configured for that kind of action" :psyduck:

Also speaking of games that probably only take 20 minutes to beat, I suggest people here give HAL Laboratories' Trax a look. It's a top-down tank shoot-em-up that came out a year before Kirby's Dream Land while also suspiciously using some of the same sprites. But it's a fun little shooter that you can definitely finish in one go.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mode 7 posted:

Bennvenn ( https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/collections/game-cart-to-pc-interface ) has a GB/GBC cart dumper that you could potentially use to pull the save off of it - although if you've powered on the game though then it's probably too late and yeah, it's gone. He's sold out at the moment but might be worth looking around for something similar!

Edit: Sorry I'm hungover and on re-reading your question this doesn't help at all! It might help someone else in the future at some point, maybe :v:
I think earlier in the thread I was asking about battery replacement and someone was linking some good tutorial videos of how to replace the battery, it seems pretty straightforward, I just haven't gotten around to sitting down with all my carts, a stack of batteries and a soldering iron yet.

I finally got off my butt and purchased a soldering iron kit and replacement batteries...only to find out that the ones i had were too big for the cartridge I was trying to use it on (basically in most cases you can fit a CR2025 or a CR2032 in the place of a default CR2016 battery, but not really the case for me this time)

Anyway, I got some CR2016s and i'm going to give it another shot over Christmas. Fortunately I'm glad I decided to test it on a relatively cheap game first rather than risk damaging Donkey Kong or Super Mario Bros. DX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

That was my music of choice, tbh.