Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'll give it a shot. No idea what I'll be drawing, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Fuseli's "The Nightmare"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Okay this is way too dumb and gimmicky to be an actual entry, but HERE, have Fusili's Super Fun Nightmare Maze. Can YOU navigate Dreamspace from the Start to the Finish!?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

:D

Dreamscape? Isn't that a new Netflix thing?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Only a few days left...

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

sigma 6 posted:

Only a few days left...

Gonna art tomorrow for this and the other dome. Problem is that I have an idea but it is just so stupid that I hope another idea comes up.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I can't ever sleep.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I am not sure how I feel about this entry.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I tried to think of something monstrous and harrowing, I really did. But everything turns out kind of silly and wholesome.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

No other submissions?

:(

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Yeah, it seems Art Dome tapered out a bit, maybe we should try a restart in 6 months?

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

sigma 6 posted:

No other submissions?

:(

A bad scribble with lots of problems

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

I tried to think of something monstrous and harrowing, I really did. But everything turns out kind of silly and wholesome.

Winner.

Go forth and be thematic.

Patterns are mesmerizing and tiling keeps me awake at night. Extra points for tiling monsters. Loving the tiny repeating details.

Keetron: I dunno. Was hoping this art dome would ramp up with ideally with two a month vs. tapering down. Seems like there is a lot more activity on discord TBH.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 23, 2022

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

There is an Art Dome discord?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sedgr posted:

There is an Art Dome discord?

There is a Goon Art Discord that is filled with goons but not really part of the GDN. There is an Art Dome Channel there.
Find the discord here: https://discord.gg/25e2VpE

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Meant to critique a bit more.

Keetron: Cute concept but I am not sure about the execution. Also watercolor is a daring choice. My brain wants this to be an anthropomorphized soda can, kind of like those M&M characters but it doesn't quite read like that. It reads more like the blanket has the monster logo and the eyes are just kinda floating. Make the cylinder/can first and then go from there? Keep the logo but ditch the blanket or move it to the side. Also what keeps a can of Monster soda up at night? Now I really want to know... Red Bull? Watercolor texture is super nice for the background but maybe go for markers vs. what looks like brush pen for the character? Red eyes are a great touch.

Keetron posted:

I am not sure how I feel about this entry.

Idle Amalgam: Loose sketch or not, it has some charm. I thought at first it was meant to be tiling too because the arm is at an angle that could imply swinging a weapon. Great pun on the title but I thought the expression looked more like a smile vs. a yawn. If the O shape of the mouth looked more like a scream or yawn vs. a smile, the whole thing would read better.

Idle Amalgam posted:

A bad scribble with lots of problems

Tree Bucket: Still my favorite. How did you do it? Offset filter in photoshop or something else? Really cute and a little maddening to look at but in the best possible way. My only small critique might be to make it tile both directions so it works like a true texture / wallpaper pattern etc.

Tree Bucket posted:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

sigma 6 posted:

Tree Bucket: Still my favorite. How did you do it? Offset filter in photoshop or something else? Really cute and a little maddening to look at but in the best possible way. My only small critique might be to make it tile both directions so it works like a true texture / wallpaper pattern etc.

I've made a few before, usually of local wildlife.

Once I've got the initial set of pictures, they can be copied and pasted to make the mosaic. But getting the initial set is the tricky bit. I'm sure there are clever ways to do it, but at the moment it is purely by dead reckoning ("I think a flax lily might fit in with the rufous fantail's feathers") with a quick copy and paste to make sure it tessellates properly.
As a bonus, my wobbly Pasting means you can do the "magic eye" thing with it to reveal random shapes mystic runes

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Also- I know this thread is slowing riiiiight down, and we might need to look at rebooting things- but in the meantime, have an artdome challenge:
* B E S T * O F * A R T D O M E *
This one's real simple: pick a previous winning Artdome entry... and recreate it, as faithfully or messily as you want. (Be sure to post the original with your own efforts.) If nothing else, it's a chance to look back on some of the rad stuff this thread's produced!

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 1, 2022

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Great prompt! Count me in!!

Tree Bucket: So - you DIDN'T use the offset filter in photoshop? :psypop:

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 28, 2022

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

sigma 6 posted:

Tree Bucket: So - you DIDN'T use the offset filter in photoshop? :psypop:

I don’t know what that is.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

I don’t know what that is.

Like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuNaxrgL-gw

It is standard workflow for 3d textures which tile. If you don't have photoshop use photopea.com

https://www.photopea.com/

Admittedly, Substance products can automate this I believe. Especially Substance Sampler which is super impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3DTive0Urg

Did I mention tiling keeps me up at night?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 1, 2022

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

sigma 6 posted:

Like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuNaxrgL-gw

It is standard workflow for 3d textures which tile. If you don't have photoshop use photopea.com

https://www.photopea.com/

Admittedly, Substance products can automate this I believe. Especially Substance Sampler which is super impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3DTive0Urg

Did I mention tiling keeps me up at night?

That's mad. Well, I've learnt something today.
My approach is extremely analogue, and based on Escher's basic rule of "everything you take from one side, gets added to the other side, but flipped around."
Anyway. I've had my mind blown by "undo," "copy-paste" and layers. Beyond that it looks like there's a looooot of stuff I'm missing when it comes to digital art, but I just don't have the brain space to get the best out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

That's mad. Well, I've learnt something today.
My approach is extremely analogue, and based on Escher's basic rule of "everything you take from one side, gets added to the other side, but flipped around."
Anyway. I've had my mind blown by "undo," "copy-paste" and layers. Beyond that it looks like there's a looooot of stuff I'm missing when it comes to digital art, but I just don't have the brain space to get the best out of it.

Offset filter is basically "shift to one side, so I can see the seam in the middle". Then photoshop or paint over or just plain fix the middle, so it is seamless. Often using a clone stamp tool. Then you have something that tiles in one direction. Do that in both directions and you have something that tiles like wallpaper. In every direction, in other words.