Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Next challenge is draw your ponysona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I'll leave this open overnight and choose a winner tomorrow!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

lofi posted:

Next challenge is draw your ponysona

So do I just make the check out directly to Lowtax or...

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I gotta bow out of this one. So sorry, had a good idea and everything. Had too much unexpected stuff going on at the last minute and it took everything just to finish the dumb daily drawing.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Gonna do crits right now too since there were only a couple entries, I know this is a busy time of year for everyone.

Makeout Patrol posted:

I don't have a child so I kind of had to make some assumptions about what you can and cannot do

You're correct, reinsertion is generally not recommended and this is a solid second place piece.

The expressions on the parents crack me up, I get a feeling of annoyed exhaustion, which is pretty much accurate. And I like that the lettering was all hand done, and that there are so many hands in the picture and they all look pretty good which I'm sure wasn't easy. Since it doesn't look like you have a scanner I'd definitely say get a free art program and touch up the contrast, you lose a lot of what looks like nice and crisp black and white inking. The other thing is since the line weights are all fairly similar either get them even more the same, or be more deliberate in emphasis. Like Mom there has a strong jaw and chin, but the linework is more delicately done than her hair.

Al! posted:

my gross idea was too gross

"do not eat" aesprite
WINNER

I laughed out loud at these. I dig the low res look of this set, and it's a great use of animated gifs. The simplicity makes it funnier than anything more complex would be. And I have actually yelled "STOP EATING THAT POPCAN" so they're funny and also accurate. I wish the blinking was a hair slower though, it'll give me a headache if I look too long, and I do think if you're doing sets of images they should all have the ultra simple background/shadow effect like the smokes and pocketknife, or none of them should.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Solenna posted:

You're correct, reinsertion is generally not recommended and this is a solid second place piece.

The expressions on the parents crack me up, I get a feeling of annoyed exhaustion, which is pretty much accurate. And I like that the lettering was all hand done, and that there are so many hands in the picture and they all look pretty good which I'm sure wasn't easy. Since it doesn't look like you have a scanner I'd definitely say get a free art program and touch up the contrast, you lose a lot of what looks like nice and crisp black and white inking. The other thing is since the line weights are all fairly similar either get them even more the same, or be more deliberate in emphasis. Like Mom there has a strong jaw and chin, but the linework is more delicately done than her hair.

Thanks! I'll keep all this in mind, and maybe try to get it scanned at the library next time. I was also pretty unhappy with the anatomy in this one, so I guess I have a few things to work on next time!

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
thank you and thank you for the critique! i'm not going to be participating in the forums going forward for reasons i'm not going to get into here, but i'd like to pass my turn to lofi, as a punishment to all of you.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Al ! posted:

thank you and thank you for the critique! i'm not going to be participating in the forums going forward for reasons i'm not going to get into here, but i'd like to pass my turn to lofi, as a punishment to all of you.

You are not Al! I hope he/she is well.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I have no idea what is going on here.

e: Ponysona challenge on standby. :getin:

lofi fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 7, 2020

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

Keetron posted:

You are not Al! I hope he/she is well.

no it's me. i autobanned my other account. lofi you're up.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I'll put something together in case Solid Al! Doesn't reappear.

Also Al!, remember the discord is a thing if you don't want to be on SA but want to stay in shot of the community.

https://discord.gg/vmpvN3

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Al ! posted:

Aw man, sorry to see you go. :( Do you have a Twitter or something where we can keep in touch?

lofi posted:

e: Ponysona challenge on standby. :getin:

Oh dear...

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

readingatwork posted:

Aw man, sorry to see you go. :( Do you have a Twitter or something where we can keep in touch?

Oh dear...

@altheposter

good luck

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Seeing your artistic journey through cspam has been very inspiring. Sorry to see you go, Al but I totally understand.

e: I'm not working 60-70 hour weeks anymore so I'll probably join in on whatever the next challenge is.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 7, 2020

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Ohshit apparently I'm in charge of this thing...

:siren:Round XI - Ponysona De/cute Challenge:siren:

I was deeeeeeply tempted to do a Goons-as-My-Little-Ponies challenge, but the internet being what it is someone would be jerking to it. Also you'd all do Lowtax. And then people would be jerking to lowtax. SO!

Your challenge is to take something cute, and make it horrific.

OR

You can do the opposite, and take something horrific and make it cute.

It doesn't have to be an existing IP, you could do horror kittens, or flowers or something. You could make a cute ebola virus.

As always, any visual medium is cool. I'm more easily impressed by real-life 3D stuff, because that poo poo is magic.

Originality counts. I know my sample images are pretty cliched, I expect better from you lot. I'm not saying you can't win with Cthulhu, but it's going to be a lot harder. A fresh take on something unexpected is what I'm after.

You got till the 19th to sign up, and I'll hide under the blankets from all your entries at midnight on the 26th.

e: I just noticed all my examples are people/characters - that's not a requirement, you could do a deeply sinister kindergarten with no people and it'd totally fit the brief.

lofi fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 8, 2020

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I’m down like a clown, Charlie Brown.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Only a week? There's only one actual weekend day there too :(

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I'm in :toxx:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Angrymog posted:

Only a week? There's only one actual weekend day there too :(

How do you figure that? It's the 8th today, you've got 18 days, 6 weekend days. Am I missing something?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I thought you weren't supposed to start until the end of the declaration deadline

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Nah, that's just to get people to commit early so they actually finish things. You can start whenever you'd like.

Also, fantastic prompt. Really looking forward to this. :neckbeard:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

same, I am on a real wave this month and no reason not to add to the load.

e: double negatives are hard

Keetron fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 8, 2020

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I'm in for this one.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

This theme looks dope as hell and I am in.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yeah, let's give it a go.

netch-a-sketch
Dec 24, 2019
I'm 100% down to clown on this one

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Not sure if I am disqualified for missing the last two challenge deadlines but I would like to give it a go.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Question. Is reimagining classic franchises allowed or would that count as fanart?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

readingatwork posted:

Question. Is reimagining classic franchises allowed or would that count as fanart?

I feel like the Garfield pic posted answers that question. Zombie Hello Kitty? Hmm.

Relevant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeWHoeDoeYk

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 12, 2020

Oct 28, 2003

I'll make a really hosed up panda for this. It'll probably suck rear end but it will be creepy.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
it's time to draw a pandroid not a man

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

lofi posted:

I'm in, but only to not let you get away with your backdown:

lofi posted:

THERE IS NO ESCAPE

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Polychromos on cartridge paper.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
oh my god :eyepop:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I desperately need an emote that's a combination of :stare: and :golfclap:.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

:vince:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Holy poo poo, give that goon the ten thousand dollars.

No offence to the other entrants.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

HEY LOFI

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

woah, I somehow unbookmarked the thread, I came back to give you all the :siren: one week warning :siren: and lookee what I've been missing out on! Great work so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Angrymog posted:

Polychromos on cartridge paper.

Uh, I think you'll find fire isn't very effective vs steel. :tinfoil:

lofi fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 20, 2020