Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

lofi posted:

Uh, I think you'll find fire isn't very effective vs steel. :tinfoil:

Just hit it, ehm, twice?

My entry is simply this:

oh drat, that picture sucks so bad but I wanted to snap it with the paint still wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Am I on time for a change?

Oct 28, 2003

You are, I'm kinda worried for mine. found out that a glue I really like doesn't dry in the cold. also, that's really great

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Just nail it on if glue won't work - 'bad' is far better than 'didn't enter'! :eng101:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

138 posted:

You are, I'm kinda worried for mine. found out that a glue I really like doesn't dry in the cold. also, that's really great

I think adding a few clamps to the final piece would be totally on-theme

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
hey, yeah! drill in some braces!

Oct 28, 2003

I wish I had more time to make a proper hellraiser panda.

edit:if glue fails things will just get wired into place in a really ugly way
double edit : I think I need to buy some fishhooks.

138 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 25, 2020

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

138 posted:

I think I need to buy some fishhooks.

I want to point out to everyone, this is how you play to the judge. :allears:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Another one. This one in graphite vs. marker.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sigma 6, which is your entry?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I think I will go with the second. Although I like them both to a degree.

Oct 28, 2003

Do we have another day for this or is the deadline midnight tonight?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I believe it’s tomorrow night at midnight.

Oct 28, 2003

cool, could use some time to take a new picture of my panda.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Deadline is 'when I get to my PC tomorrow'.

Oct 28, 2003

I'll try to get a better photo, but just in case I don't here's this:

edit: changed my mind. I like the other picture better but this one is angrier.

138 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 26, 2020

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

gently caress this gerbil thing

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Upmarket Mango posted:

Take it easy now, Lenore.

I am not saying anything about the panda (?) lest it haunt me.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Keetron posted:

Take it easy now, Lenore.

whoa, deep cut

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

138 posted:

I'll try to get a better photo, but just in case I don't here's this:

edit: changed my mind. I like the other picture better but this one is angrier.

What SCP number is this?

Oct 28, 2003

um, not sure but here's my final entry:

138 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 27, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

lofi posted:

Next challenge is draw your ponysona

This still counts for the prompt because I took something adorable (me) and mixed it with something horrifying (My Little Pony).

Also: JFC this turned out so much more disturbing than I intended.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Times up, artfans!

:siren:The winner this time is 138 with their Five Nights at Fursona tribute! Congratulations!:siren:
I guess you're the loser too, now you have to live with that thing. :ohdear:

Loads of great stuff here, you all took really fun angles with this. I'll write up crits soon!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

138 posted:

That makes way more (terrifying) sense when not at phone resolution...

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Angrymog posted:

Polychromos on cartridge paper.

Wow, you got this one done superfast, and really set the bar high (low?) for the others! I should say before I write any more that I know veeery little about pokemans, so some of it might have flown over my head.

I really like the idea here, you definitely hit the brief. I don't personally find most pokemon very cute, but that's just my taste, they're definitely a cute-thing, and the super-commercial vibe ties the concepts together nicely.

I'm not so keen on your execution, though - your colours look pretty washed out compared to the fully saturated typeface, and the changes in ground level (particularly in the last evolution) are distracting. You've kept to a similar art style as pokemon which is good, but the difference in materials is really obvious and pulls your entry down. I'd look into burnishing and layering coloured pencils if you want to get more vibrant colours with them, I tend to avoid them for exactly this reason though.

Your idea was brilliant, and if your follow-through had been a bit better, or if I was more of a pokemon fan, you might well have taken it.

Yeah, OK, I should have stuck to my guns and done a straight ponysona challenge I reckon. Hindsight, etc.

Those are some tasty colours, I'm a big fan of super-saturated colours, and it's nice to see a digital entry with some texture to it, I find digital can easily look very flat. The colours contrast well with the monochrome gibbering-skull-bit. The tentacle-reading-bit was superfast, so I had to take a good look in photoshop and...

Holy poo poo, that's my last AV!

:aaa: That is sweeeeeet! Well, now I'm glad I brought your gif into photoshop, that's such a nice detail.

I like the use of gif, and fast transitions like that are a nice way of making the animation jarring, uncomfortable.

So why didn't you win? Well, the thing is... it's still cute! You've taken uber-cute and made it horror-cute! Your entry is really well-executed, it's gorgeous, but it just isn't that creepy. I wanted horror, not creepy-pasta.

Keetron posted:

My entry is simply this:

oh drat, that picture sucks so bad but I wanted to snap it with the paint still wet.

Well, you said it. That photo does suck, and it spoils your entry. If you're going to do something like this, where the art is only going to be at it's best for a few seconds, set the photography up first. Having the blood be still wet and glistening was a good idea, but you've done your entry a lot of harm chasing it. Hell, even a quick GIMP cleanup would have helped. This is photoshop, but same principle:

All I did was cropped it and hit auto-colour, and it looks so much better.

Why can I see your pencil lines? I should not be able to see your pencil lines. Buy a better eraser, and learn how to use it.

I feel like you half-assed this one, your concept of making a cute anthropomorphisisation (:pseudo:) of your fear was a really good one, and I think you could have made a much better pic of it. Losing teeth is a really common fear, so it's #relatable as well.

sigma 6 posted:

Another one. This one in graphite vs. marker.

Not just on time, but two entries, well done! ;)

I totally agree, mange-dogs are horrific, and definitely taking something cute and make it horrible!

You've worked fairly loose here, which I think suits the horror-aspect of what you're going for - suggestion is always more horrible than seeing something in detail. Areas like the muzzle where you've suggested scales work really well, as does the patchy hair. Did you invent the lower neck and body? They have noticably less texture, and feel less convincing as a drawing - the collar looks like it's not quite sitting right either. I think your pic would have been much better if you'd cropped it more tightly, ended about where the collar is.

I think you were right to go with your second entry. I prefer the first one as a picture (due to the sepia toning and nicer mark-making), but the second one sells the horror vibe much better. The first one still looks kinda cute, but the second one is a true abomination.

I think you were a bit let down by your linework on the second pic, the outlines are very chicken-scratchy. It doesn't hurt this pic as much as it would others, because it maaaaaybe fits the theme, but it doesn't feel deliberate enough to work with the picture. I think you could have made your entry pop more by making the background toned, if it was a dark shade it would fit the horror theme, and make your pic look much more finished.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Utterly unsubtle, crude and violent. I love it. A lot of weeks, you'd have had the win. Your rendering is perfect for the subject, harsh and 'hacked out' - I like how you've worked back into your black lines with white. The poo poo, the eyeballs popped out, they're so childish but they're right for this. It's going to sounds weird, but I like its elegance - you've had a simple idea, and done it well.

I'd have liked to see maybe a touch more shading on the gerbil-butt to seperate it from the fingers (it looks a little like an extra finger atm), but you'd have to be so careful to avoid overworking this one.

As with Sigma 6's entry above, I think a black background would work better. Especially with digital, you could make such a strong contrast that way, and make it look more finished and easier to read. I find too much white on a monochrome drawing makes it look unfinished.

I don't have much to say on this one, really - that's no reflection on it's quality, just that it's such a simple idea.

138 posted:

Just for comparison:

What did you DO?! gently caress me, that thing is horrible. And that's exactly what I was after! I think you've used 3D really well, getting in the sort of texture that would be an absolute nightmare to think of and create in 2D. Your final photograph (by far the better one) makes great use of your surroundings and the perspective to make that horror look person-sized. It looks like a human-sized monster living in your garage, waiting to spring out and murder someone.

You've got a very similar vibe to the mange-dog, that sort of patchy nastiness that hints at things rather than showing them all, and you've played to that by half-hiding it and keeping it in the shadows. A photo taken at night or in dimmer light might have worked even better, but with so much black on the model it might become unreadable. Maybe against a white background?

Do you know Five Nights at Freddies? Very similar vibe.

You use of crude techniques and parts works really well - horror is hardly ever clean and well-lit, it's grimey and half-broken, and you've hit that on the head. The eyes peering out from that broken snout help it read as an animal, otherwise it might be difficult to tell what it is. The teeth are just... teeth are horrid. Let's just get rid of teeth.

Well done, A++, would hide from in a darkened amusement arcade again.

readingatwork posted:

This still counts for the prompt because I took something adorable (me) and mixed it with something horrifying (My Little Pony).

Also: JFC this turned out so much more disturbing than I intended.

I...

Umm...

There's something wrong with your... I'm gonna say 'horse'?

I love the way you've blended your chin into the horseneck, and the combination of realistic and weird gives it a nice grotesquery (that's a word, right?). The cutie mark (I hate that those things have a name and I know it) is a really nice touch, as is the way it's living in a cartoony cute world (backgrounds make illustrations better, people!). Did you do the background yourself or borrow it from a legit MLP thing? The slight outline on the... pony... makes me think it's borrowed. Not saying that as a negative, it makes a lot of sense to save time and add authenticity like that.

I think my favourite bit is actually the leghoof, it's just so wrong and makes me think of a fly more than a horse. Actually, come to think of it, the whole thing is very The Fly.

What doesn't work for me mostly is that the... equine... feels a bit disjointed from the background due to the different rendering styles. I think you could have improved it a lot by blending the two images slightly, maybe giving the nearby hills an outline, maybe some light texture close up. Or you could try knocking some of your lines back (having them be, say, a purple rather than black, disney-style). Maybe give it an apple, tie it together with a prop.

Very nice use of hatching, you've made the form feel really 3D.

Having to pick just one winner this week has been tough, so many great entries! Thanks*, everyone!

So, 138, what's next?

lofi fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 27, 2020

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Thanks for the critique! I’ll be sure to keep it in mind for next time. Everyone had great pieces. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the Crit!

The background was done by me but I used screenshots of the show to try and mimic MLP’s color scheme and style. I could have just used a screenshot but I wanted to see what would be involved in making it for myself since color backgrounds aren’t my strongest skill. I think it actually came out a little too close to the source materialthough, so if I had to do it again I’d probably tweak several things to get a more original result.

Good prompt Lofi! Now let us never speak It again.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

Well, you said it. That photo does suck, and it spoils your entry. If you're going to do something like this, where the art is only going to be at it's best for a few seconds, set the photography up first. Having the blood be still wet and glistening was a good idea, but you've done your entry a lot of harm chasing it. Hell, even a quick GIMP cleanup would have helped. This is photoshop, but same principle:

All I did was cropped it and hit auto-colour, and it looks so much better.

Why can I see your pencil lines? I should not be able to see your pencil lines. Buy a better eraser, and learn how to use it.

I feel like you half-assed this one, your concept of making a cute anthropomorphisisation (:pseudo:) of your fear was a really good one, and I think you could have made a much better pic of it. Losing teeth is a really common fear, so it's #relatable as well.

Good points, all of them. The erasing was done with the paint wet (I forgot to do it earlier) and the smear is a result from that. The whole piece is a "poo poo I doxxed myself and now I need to make something" exersize and you all deserve better. It wont happen again and I'll prep stuff better.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I don't think there's anyone who hasn't rushed something out to meet a commitment, don't worry about it. :) I was harsh because this is SA, but the point here is to have fun.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

lofi posted:

Times up, artfans!

:siren:The winner this time is 138 with their Five Nights at Fursona tribute! Congratulations!:siren:
I guess you're the loser too, now you have to live with that thing. :ohdear:

Loads of great stuff here, you all took really fun angles with this. I'll write up crits soon!
A well-deserved win!

Oct 28, 2003

Thanks for the critique and the kind words all. The next theme is doing whatever you like in the style of german expressionism. Here's a great link if you aren't terribly familiar with it: https://www.moma.org/s/ge/curated_ge/styles/index.html
As you can see, it's a pretty loose genre.
Almost forgot important details. You have until February 9th to sign up and until the 16th to turn in.

138 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 28, 2020

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Interesting choice!

You’ll want to set a deadline to declare participation and a deadline for submission. I’d recommend Feb 9th and Feb 16th respectively but it’s up to you.

E: Also I’ll participate.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 28, 2020

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Yes, I'm in

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Cool, I'm in. I love Schiele's drawings, it'll be fun to mimic him.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
My art history is pretty patchy. Does German expressionism include the dadaist, post-war grotesquery stuff, or is that it's own thing?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

there wolf posted:

My art history is pretty patchy. Does German expressionism include the dadaist, post-war grotesquery stuff, or is that it's own thing?

Not dada, but definitely post-WW1 grotesquery, Grosz, Kirchner, Beckmann, Kokoschka, Dix, etc.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Mach ich ja

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lofi posted:

Not just on time, but two entries, well done! ;)

I totally agree, mange-dogs are horrific, and definitely taking something cute and make it horrible!

You've worked fairly loose here, which I think suits the horror-aspect of what you're going for - suggestion is always more horrible than seeing something in detail. Areas like the muzzle where you've suggested scales work really well, as does the patchy hair. Did you invent the lower neck and body? They have noticably less texture, and feel less convincing as a drawing - the collar looks like it's not quite sitting right either. I think your pic would have been much better if you'd cropped it more tightly, ended about where the collar is.

I think you were right to go with your second entry. I prefer the first one as a picture (due to the sepia toning and nicer mark-making), but the second one sells the horror vibe much better. The first one still looks kinda cute, but the second one is a true abomination.

I think you were a bit let down by your linework on the second pic, the outlines are very chicken-scratchy. It doesn't hurt this pic as much as it would others, because it maaaaaybe fits the theme, but it doesn't feel deliberate enough to work with the picture. I think you could have made your entry pop more by making the background toned, if it was a dark shade it would fit the horror theme, and make your pic look much more finished.

Thanks for the crit! I originally wanted to ink the second one like the first but ended up going with only graphite when the shading got out of hand. No point markering over too much graphite because it just gets too dark and too difficult to control values. Speaking of struggling with values... I ended up laser burning it but because the midtones weren't there I went back and inked it. Turned out better than the drawing I think and wish I had turned in this as a submission instead.

Oh - count me in for the next one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I think that would make a lovely context-free gift for someone.