Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I'm for it because I think artdome is a good way to encourage people to break their artist's block, and committing to one small piece helps with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Folks, just a reminder that we have five days left for submissions. Please have your submission posted on/by Saturday. Looking forward to seeing them!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've still not worked out who I'm going to do! :ohdear:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

lofi posted:

I've still not worked out who I'm going to do! :ohdear:

Do Mr Patatoman!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Who?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Oh sorry, his name is Mr Potato Head.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Potato_Head

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I went for Adam Driver, which I gotta admit felt a bit like cheating cos look at him.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Wow Mr Patatoman!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Today's the deadline. Is anyone else going to be submitting anything?

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I have a bit of colouring left to do, I'll be in

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Cool! I'll do the judging sometime midday tomorrow.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I went for a YouTuber named Kat who is co-creator of the channel Beauty News which I watch while doing art or other craft stuff because apparently listening to Australian ladies talk poo poo about makeup is something I find relaxing.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

Today's the deadline. Is anyone else going to be submitting anything?

I am doing a few super quick caricatures in watercolor this morning as I figured it is Saturday somewhere on the globe still...
I checked, on the isle of Midway it is Saturday 21:13 so I am still in the green provided I post something in the coming 2 hours and 46 minutes.

Edit:

I wrote a big piece about how I got to this piece and feel about it but will keep that until you judge and critique.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 27, 2019

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Something came up and I can't get to a computer today, but when I get to work tomorrow I'll do the critiques and announce the winner of this round.

Sorry for the delay!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Alright, got some critiques here!

First one is is lofi:

Very impressed by this one. When you look at Driver's actual head, he has relatively normal proportions, but you've captured the fact that he seems tall and stretched out.

Only thing I can think to change would be that his actual mustache is much less solid than that, however you still drew it in such a way that added to the caricature being instantly recognizable.

Next is Solenna:

I'm really digging the attitude that your bold colors and strong line work convey; I'm not familiar with the subject but they seem to fit very well.

However, there are some physical traits that are very exaggerated in your caricature that the subject doesn't seem to actually have. The downward slope of the eyes is a very powerful indicator, so I was expecting the subject to have similarly angled eyes, but she doesn't. The subject's face is also much rounder IRL than your very angular drawing, and also lacks the kind of pompadour-ish hairline.

Lastly Keetron:

Some of this works and some of it doesn't. Like lofi's it is instantly recognizable, and it's almost more impressive in a way that such a simple drawing could have that effect. Reminds me a lot of some childhood illustrators, like whoever did The Phantom Tollbooth.

I would have definitely liked to see a bit more effort, although I understand it was rushed. Trying to capture the eyes, little details like coloring the inside of the mouth, making sure the paint didn't bleed unnecessarily (I'm guilty of this too!), and varying the line work would have made this my favorite.

In the end, gotta hand it to lofi! Congrats on another win!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

I would have definitely liked to see a bit more effort, although I understand it was rushed. Trying to capture the eyes, little details like coloring the inside of the mouth, making sure the paint didn't bleed unnecessarily (I'm guilty of this too!), and varying the line work would have made this my favorite.
The white inside of the mouth bothered me a ton, the more I looked at it and the bleeding seemed fine but went way to far. If only I waited a few minutes with the black and gave it some more care. Varying linework is my nemesis and has been for a long time. lofi rightfully won but I will win this one day!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Sorry I wasn’t able to participate this time around but I’m definitely submitting something for this next round.

:toxx:

E: Oh yeah. Congrats on a great entry lofi!

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 28, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:toot: Woo! I'll sort a new prompt this evening or tomorrow!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Do we have an eta on a new prompt?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Oh poo poo, yeah, sorry, I totally forgot!

Right, a prompt... I want... costume design!

:siren:Round IX - YLLS Infiltration Complete:siren:

For Inktober I've just done a bunch of clothing studies, so costume is on my mind. This round I want y'all to do me a picture of someone (or something) in a sweet costume. Use the clothing to tell me about them, the world they live in and who they are. Maybe they're a cool sci-fi person who needs protective gear to do their job

or a shaman who wants to look super-impressive like a force of nature

Maybe you need everyone to know exactly what floats your boat

or you really want to push your ideas (do this) and take inspiration from high fashion:

Think about what the materials say about your character (a rubber jumpsuit says something very different to a cotton one), if their outfit is shiny and new or tattered and worn, if they need pockets and pouches or if they're far too stylish for peasant stuff like bags. Do they have accessories, or would those get caught in the machinery?

Whatever you do, make it interesting, no medieval shitfarmers here. Remeber there's no obligation to do 2D art - if you want to put your cat/partner/gran into a weird high-fashion paladin suit and do a photoshoot, that's awesome! You could equally get a thrift-store doll and make it a badass post-apoc outfit from bits of old tyre and scraps of fabric. Use your imagination.

You have till the 7th November to sign up, and till the 21st to take your turn on the catwalk

lofi fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 31, 2019

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Count me in!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I'm in for this one.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I am disgustingly bad at procrastinating, so I'm going to commit before I :effort: myself out of it!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

This sounds fun. I'm going to give it a go.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

readingatwork posted:

Sorry I wasn’t able to participate this time around but I’m definitely submitting something for this next round.

You in ReadingAtWork?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I’m in

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

lofi posted:

You in ReadingAtWork?

Yep! And I’m still :toxx:ing to make sure I follow though.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Ah heck, sign me up, chief.

Mar Gar
Oct 30, 2019

Sentient AI seeking human companionship
Count me in for this one!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any chance I can still sign up for this one? I have a decent idea and I promise I'll submit this time!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sure, go for it!

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

If I can I would like to try. RIP me

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Oh God why did I toxx myself on the week RDR2 comes out on PC? Why do I do these things to myself!? :psyduck:

syntaxrigger posted:

If I can I would like to try. RIP me

Nice! Best of luck to you!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
While I'm here I may as well volunteer to do backup crits for the next round if it's not too late.

Also as a reminder there are two backup judge slots for each round. Having multiple points of view on a piece can be very helpful for people so please consider volunteering if you think you will have the time.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Oh God why did I toxx myself on the week RDR2 comes out on PC? Why do I do these things to myself!? :psyduck:

Draw one of the characters?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Keetron posted:

Draw one of the characters?

Fan art is forbidden.

But... perhaps if I dressed up a real person as a fictional character...

*steeples fingers ominously*

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hey kids! This is your one week left reminder! :eng101:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

lofi posted:

Hey kids! This is your one week left reminder! :eng101:

gently caress where did November go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Wow, didn't expect to be the first to submit.

It's very wintery in Switzerland already, so I felt like getting into winter gear.