Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

That's sounds cool, count me in.

EDIT: poo poo, got the signup/due date mixed up. Will join the next one instead.

NAG fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

I'm in!

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Here is my submission

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

In for some hands and feet.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

submitted for your approval: one hand to the face

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Congratulations to Sigma 6 and thank you for the feedback!

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

there wolf posted:

Ugh, I hate it all.

I'm in.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

I don't have a garbage pail kid yet but I was hoping to wing it at the last minute

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Could use more work, but I can't stand thinking about these horrible things anymore

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wait, did we both pick the name Art Dome Kids independently? Because that's...awesome.

Sadly no, I was just going to call it Garbage Pail Kids but then I saw your picture and changed it for unity

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Using the extension to touch up my submission

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

:toot:

I will need a couple of days to think of a new prompt (I just saw my skull idea had already been done!) but shouldn't take too long.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Just want to say thank you to Sigma 6 for taking the time to provide critiques even though they've so much going on. I really appreciate it!

Now for the next theme: Sharks!

That's right, those big fishy thingies. They've a fairly simple shape to them, but can appear scary, gracious, or even goofy-looking.

Sharks come in a variety of shapes and colors, and different species have different superpowers, like the goblin shark that can extend it's jaw when it bites.

I'll accept any species, setting, scenario and medium. Acrylics, watercolor, charcoal sketches, knitted toys, sculpture, ASCII, 3D models, you name it.

Your shark doesn't have to look realistic if you don't want to, and can be anthropomorphic, as long as it is clearly imbued with sharky-ness.

Deadline is Saturday, August 29th, so let's get sharkin'

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Awhaaaaaat? There's one week left until the deadline? Don't forget to get your submissions in before next Saturday!

Liking the pixel offering so far! More in-depth critique will follow after a winner is announced.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Thank you for the entries! There were several other people that signed up but haven't delivered yet, so I am extending the deadline slightly until Monday, 23:59 PST. Get your shark together folks

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Right, this contest is over! Critiques will follow in the order of submission, with the winner announced at the end.

First, we have Johnny-on-the-Spot's offering of a vicious pixel shark.

This is a clean and simple piece, as is suitable for pixel art. It's a nice, dynamic pose of the creature with a clear and recognizable silhouette. Cudos for moving the whole tail and not just the tail fin. However I feel the pectoral fins look a bit stiff, some mild movement there would have really given the shark some more life.

I especially like the detail of the eye rollin' over white as the shark bites. The spectator's eye is naturally drawn to the bright red gums and the gnarly teeth contrasted against them, making the beast appear extra threatening.

It's nice to see that you use dithering sparingly, as it tends to be overused by pixel artists. You also demonstrate good artistic sense by going from bright blue to turquoise-green to grey for your background gradient instead of just three shades of the same blue.

Overall, this was a fine piece.

Next, Angrymog graces us with this fluid, bloody scene.

First off, using watercolors for this prompt was brilliant. It really feels like we're watching a scene underwater, and the background has a lovely flow to it. As your canvas is bigger than the other two entries, the scene looks a bit empty. I would have liked to see maybe some seaweeds or other water creatures in the picture to provide some more excitement, but that's just a personal thing.

You've struck a good action pose for the shark, with it's whole body bent. The darker splashes around the tailfin add a nice suggestion of movement. I also love how the blood looks, but would have liked to see a trace of what the shark was eating. As is, the red could be interpreted to be just the color of the shark's mouth, instead of what I think you intended as blood.

The design of the shark, the teeth and the spatter of blood reminds me a bit of Ralph Steadman's work, it has real character to it!

One final criticism is that the shark quite blends into the background, maybe some highlights here and there would have helped it pop a bit more, even if it's by no means invisible as-is.

This piece has a great mood to it.

Finally, Krispy Wafer out of nowhere with a AD&D throwback.

There is a lot to like here. You've used the animated medium to tell us a complete story with terror, transformation and humor. I felt sorry for the poor fellow who not only had to endure the horror of transforming into a beast, but also facing certain death from suffocation.

It's an interesting choice of scenario for a shark; I didn't think anyone would depict the subject in a sympathetic, helpless state, but you did a great job!

The shark itself is well depicted, and you've managed to get a lot of emotion out of the eyes and mouth using only a few pixels for each.

A strong submission, I don't really have anything negative to say about it.

Thank you all for your sharks. And the winner is...

Angrymog! I know I gave you probably the most criticism but overall I think you delivered the best-looking piece. It was by no means an easy call though and you should all be proud of your sharks.

If anyone still has a shark to share, please do, but you have forfeited the glory of winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Oooh that's a great idea, I'm in.