Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
“I shall participate, good sir and/or madame!”

i'll def give it a crack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

one question, is there a file size limit? i'm specifically thinking for animation, not gonna make a 6 meg gang tag but, it's still pretty low for avatars

Al! fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 26, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ok, here is my gangtag submission:

mostly done in aseprite, then imported into GIMP to optimize the animation, 180 x 60, ended up being under 50k after optimization, so that was a nice surprise

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hell yeah!!!!!! i really think lofi's was excellent and a way cleaner design than mine, and i also think people might have been intimidated by the technical restrictions of the prompt (and animation is a very niche thing to do). i plan on making my prompt very specific but very open to interpretation

if im getting that gangtag, i just ask that you preserve smallbarf :rip: john candy. it might also be a good idea to make it link to this thread, as i plan on repping the hell out of it in cspam.

i already know exactly what im doing for a prompt but i wanna put a little work into it so it'll be coming later this evening or tomorrow

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:siren: Prompt 2: Vanitas :siren:

webster's dictionary defines a Vanitas as "a sweet painting of a cool skull with maybe some fruit or flowers and poo poo" You're probably most familiar with this genre of work cuz it was very popular with the goddamned dutch

morte sighed as he unsheathed his katana

et cetera.

But we want to be more general here so we will go with the wikipedia blurb: "A vanitas is a symbolic work of art showing the transience of life, the futility of pleasure, and the certainty of death, often contrasting symbols of wealth and symbols of ephemerality and death."

so i'm not expecting a dutch master still life, anything that meets the above definition will work for me. as such, i'm leaving the format totally up to you: painting, sculpture, photography, performance (one of my favorite contemporary artists is paul mccarthy hint hint) etc.

deadlines:

• JUNE 19: Deadline to announce your interest to compete in this contest. I'll also make this the deadline to volunteer as a backup judge
  • JUNE 26: Deadline to submit your art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjVmeKWOsEU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

thank you!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ok, signups are closed! good luck yall

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

readingatwork posted:

If you think you can finish by the deadline I’d have no problem with it. Al! Has final say though.

im ok with it but the deadline for consideration is tonight so get to it

edit: it has been brought to my attention that the deadline is tomorrow lol

Al! fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 25, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Is the deadline for the artwork to be submitted tonight by midnight or tomorrow night by midnight? Thought it was Wednesday night by midnight but I can have *something* tonight if it must be in tonight. As in 12AM tonight right? Sorry for the confusion.

This would imply I have tomorrow to work too, or am I misunderstanding?

i thought it was Wednesday already :sweatdrop:

good thing time doesnt exist

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HungryMedusa posted:

So midnight in what time zone? I have a pic of mine on my phone but I need to tweak it a tiny bit.

as a resident of the baker islands, i'll be cutting it off at UTC−12:00 :P. basically, try to get it in while 6/26/2019 still exists on the globe.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Not gonna make the deadline. Just heard that a friend died... and... I am not motivated to draw about mortality ATM. Should have started earlier I guess. Took a ton of reference too. Ugh.

im sorry to hear that, i was looking forward to seeing your submission. hope you feel better soon

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

alright submissions are closed! ill announce a winner this evening, this is an extremely tough one so thank you to everyone involved

Al! fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 27, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ok the winner is drumroll please......... lofi for a fresh and intriguing take on the prompt that i loved for its expressiveness and texture

honorable mentions to hungry medusa for excellent layering and color and readingatwork for overall technical excellence

so lofi, the prompt is up to you

critiques will come later. im not used to providing critique ha ha just kidding i hold a degree in art history im going to be brutal just kidding again but also ill get through them one at a time when i can

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

im in but ill need to think about it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sorry i havent made with the critique yet, i just started a new job and haven't had time or mental space yet, but i did manage to do this

taxi mandate, krita

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sedgr posted:

As far as the album goes, Im thinking like Grunge Electronica or something with songs such as...

Dark Matters
Watt is Love
Midnight Rider
Electric Dreamscape
Fuzzy Blanket Logic
Outworld Express
Winners Dont Do Hugs
Smoke and Asphalt
Strong Current
Extinction of the Mind
Four Phone Phreak
Beyond the Neon Event Horizon

this rules and im afraid im in trouble on this one.

im thinking of my entry as the kind of cd you find in a beach-side knickknack shop by a band that started out as a 70s funk outfit that went new age

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

im in on this one definitely

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

thank you for the critique and especially thank you for the tip on the text. i felt the same way about it, but text is really not something im super comfortable with yet so i didnt know what to do about it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i apologize i still haven't turned in my critiques for my round

but ill do it when i get my gangtag!!!!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i hit total block on the last one and couldn't get anything out but this one really

can we use fictional locations for this cloth map??? i was specifically thinking of making a cloth map of caves of qud

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

thats fine, that might be a good warmup project actually

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

starmap, all done in krita

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Thank you for the critique

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i didn't declare for this one but i had a moment of inspiration thinking about it the other day.

bloodshed:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

congrats again lofi, i love your work and you deserve it!!!!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sebmojo posted:

:kingsley:

I am profoundly excited to announce that image uploads are working again, so winners of the Artdome are finally gonna get their gangtags!

Could I ask that it be shrunk a little though? Could someone chop the black edges off the left and right, say up to the edge of the screens on the left and right?

tia, and thanks for your forbearance!

does this work?

here's a 2nd, even more cropped option

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

please respect center alignment!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

thank you for persisting in getting this done!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ok i got an idea for it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i'm back in for this one

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

early entry for me on this one, i can't just keep staring at it anymore