Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I'll join in on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Did most of the "inking" with the pen tool, and then added color with various brushes. I'm fairly happy with the result!

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 4, 2020

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I'm in! I had so much fun getting back into art, I wanna keep it going.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Yeah I wasn't sure what the temperature was after the news, so I felt awkward just getting to business as usual. I'd be fine with either an extension or we start with a fresh new prompt.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I'm in!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Francia & Gunn: Partners in crime. Death has claimed Francia's beloved Gunn, however, a ritual by which the elusive garden serpent's blood spilt on the remains of the damned will tie the dead to the mortal plane for a short while, allowing the pair to be reunited once again.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

there wolf posted:

And now having stared at these for three loving days, your winner is - void_serfer

for the best combination of good art and pandering to my specific tastes!

Wow! Thanks so much, this means a lot!

Thank you for the pointers on positioning. I have a habit of finding the "voice" of my work halfway through the process, making adjustments a bit more challenging, but I need to see that criticism to become the artist I want to be. I'll have my prompt for y'all tomorrow, and thank you all for your hard work and incredible entries. So much drat talent everywhere!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Alright folks, so my prompt is Robots/Deus Ex Machina.

Sky's the limit with this subject, as you can go from Wall-E to Gundam and anything in between. It can also be a cyborg, or an evil sentient Roomba! Have fun with it, and get weird please.

Sign-up Deadline: Friday, November 27th

Due on Sunday, December 13th

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 21, 2020

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Sign-up is now closed!

Can't wait to see the entries from these participants!:

piL
Mar Gar
Sitting Here
sigma 6
Angrymog
Doll House Ghost
Zonko_T.M.
Krispy Wafer
Tree Bucket
Truman Peyote
Trabant

Entries are due by Sunday, December 13th @ 11:59 PM PST

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 10, 2020

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

These entries kick rear end! Deadline is flexible up until I wake up, so I can get the late entries but I'll have my decision by tomorrow night.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Time for submissions to be turned in is now up. I'm putting together the critique now, and we'll have a winner announced in a few hours. Thanks again to all who participated, this is going to be hard as hell for me to judge, which is a pretty awesome thing.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Doll House Ghost posted:

Bobot.

Media: Realistic Paint Studio

This is really fantastic work. I'm enjoying the range of colors, the melodrama juxtaposed with the cuteness of the robot, and the overall craftsmanship. I love the dreamscape depicted and the overall aesthetic. I'm getting huge NieR: Automata vibes, which is a good thing imo. I just wish the shading/shadows were more pronounced underneath the robot itself, to really establish a light source and help to create a focal point. Those are really minor complaints, because so much works for me with this piece.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Submitting early so I donít tinker with it anymore.

This is so charming! I enjoy the 50's pastiche as it reminds me of those Ren & Stimpy in-universe commercials. I'm a kid raised in the 90's and Terminator was one of my favorite franchises ever when I was but a wee lad. My issue comes with the lack of shadows to really ground the figures in the image. I'm also not sure about the scaling of the robot itself, as the skeleton has a rather large head, and some of the detailing gets lost in various areas. Getting back to the lack of shadows, it makes the dog look a bit out of place. I'm fine with the font used, but I also think spacing is a bit of an issue there, as I think more could be done to emphasize that cute Kyle Reese is saying the quote in the drawing. It still wins me over in its creativity and pop-culture reference. This is unfortunately fan art and I'm partial to the source material so I'm going to have to disqualify it, I apologize.

Tree Bucket posted:

A Robot
Drawn on my tablet
At 3 in the morning, aagh
I'm really into this one. I love the choice of colors, the imposing image of the robot itself while it's doing something as gentle as engaging with plant-life in a seemingly post-industrial setting. The sense of atmosphere is really nice. The "head" of the robot stands out prominently against the cast-shadows of the overall figure and helps to establish the light source and gives us an undeniable focal point towards the center. My few complaints stem from the softness of the lighting on the arms, as there's not enough detail to insinuate if it's covered in moss or whatever greenery a techno-swamp would have. I'm also not sure about the placement of the plant as the leaf covers the left hand, as it makes slightly difficult to discern where the plant exists in space. This is a really strong piece, criticisms notwithstanding.
This is cute as hell, and I love seeing cats depicted all sorts of neat ways. I generally enjoy the colors used and I appreciate that the text doesn't stray to far from the color selection you've chosen. I'm also liking the shadows which help establish the figures in the painting. I'm not entirely keen on the simplicity of the background, as well as how the detail gets lost with the robo-mice. A bit of shading along the tail of the bot would do a lot to help add depth to the catbot. I also believe a bit more tweaking to the tail would help. Something could've been done with the placement of the text to make it a bit more dynamic using space in a clever way. I'm still overall really feeling the charm I'm getting from this particular piece.

I like the intention of this piece quite a bit. The dichotomy between a manufactured being vs. a living creature helps to establish mood in this work. I enjoy where some of the thick lines are applied, and some of the forms you've depicted here. I do think the cat's neck is a bit overly long, and the pervasiveness of the thick lines kinda detract from realizing the detail therein, and some of those details appear rather flat because of those aforementioned thick lines. I'm also not quite sure what the machine is supposed to do. Again, I think more shadows would help to play with the white space here, and it would also help things appear less flat. Still some great work, though!

Truman Peyote posted:

I didn't end up devoting much time to it but here's what I've got.

This is some pretty good work. I enjoy the perspective, I also enjoy the expressions seen on all of the figures in this drawing. I wish there was more to the robots themselves, as their innocuous nature kind of make it easier to overlook what's implied here. I also wish the rain were more prominent, and that the application of rain drops weren't as slap-dash in some areas. If you played a bit more with detail there, it'd really sell that this was a sort of "oppressive storm" of sorts to create mood and help sell what's transpiring in the drawing. I love the drawing of the vehicle, but it needs larger tires all around, heh.

Trabant posted:

Calling this one American Cybergothic

Linocut print using oil ink on mulberry paper. Sorry for the photo instead of a scan -- it's very much not dry in the least, so a scanner is a no-go.
Ahhhh poo poo, a Blade Runner drawing! This is like a cheat code for me, because of course I'm a huge fan and this overall does not disappoint. I'm in love with the sharp details, and the very detailed background. So much here captures exactly what I want to see in a drawing and the medium itself really elevates it to an attractive piece. The faces need some work as well as some subtle shading (lol) to play off of the light source. This is really great work though, dope as hell. Unfortunately, this does count as fan art and simply in observance to the rules and to foster creativity in Artdome, I'm gonna have to disqualify it :/ so sorry!

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 15, 2020

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Trabant posted:

Oh wow -- thank you! I really appreciate the kind words and feedback, esp. when all the other entries kicked absolute rear end. It feels great to hear when I land on something others liked.

That said... I now realize I pretty much cheated, even though I didn't mean to. Hell, void_serfer actually said that using Blade Runner was a "cheat code." It just happened that the phrase "American Cybergothic" popped into my head as I was browsing the thread and welp.

Anyway, the rules clearly say no fanart, and what I put up is definitely fanart. That's on me and my failure to read the OP fully, so I'll happily give this one up if the judge/mods wants me to and do better next time.

Hmm, yeah I admit that I also kinda forgot about that rule, which also disqualifies Krispy Wafer's submission and that hurts. Honestly, just to keep things fair, foster creativity and not set a precedent I'm going to change my vote to Tree Bucket:

This was my favorite completely original piece and the atmosphere established here is undeniable.

My apologies, everyone!

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 15, 2020

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Count me in for this prompt, as I have some ideas!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

This one is sneaky. I nearly missed it.
Here is an astronaut, tethered to some kind of spaceship. The composition is excellent, very dynamic, and I like the figure's pose . The linework gives the impression of highly technical detail, which never quite resolves when one focuses on it. (This is a cruel trick to play on a recovering scifi nerd.) The background wash is really wonderful and provides a sense of space and movement that-
Wait. Everything is white. Or light grey. You've drawn a space scene with no black.
It's great. The question then becomes, is this Void space, or something stranger? Is our subject an astronaut at all?
My one complaint would be the thingy at the bottom right- I feel it would have benefited from having less detail, on par with the other Void Thingies. It seems somehow a bit cartoonish compared with the rest of the picture?
Still. Great composition, great ink, the linework is making me feel truly envious and "space scene w/ white background" is just genius.
Thank you for your critique! I definitely always want to improve my linework, so this is welcome to see.

Congratulations, Truman and I love the prompt! I'm in for this one as well.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 1, 2021

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Congrats to Tree Bucket for the win! Also, thank you for the awesome crit, Truman Peyote!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Sign me up

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Love all of these entries so far!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Congratulations, hallo spacedog! That really was an amazing entry.

Also thank you Tree Bucket for your great feedback! The T-Rex's neck is a little thick behind the head, kind of softening it up a bit. His bottom jaw is pretty wonky too. I noticed this through the process, but I forgot to actually address it lol. I've never heard of the piece you mentioned. I just thought "dinosaurs but also kaiju" and just started drawing!

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 1, 2021

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I'm in. Always down for a challenge to draw more environments.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

There isn't a huge amount of similarity, I guess, but it's just one of those images that's burned pretty thoroughly into the memory of Young Me!

This is amazing. drat that cute little trike.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Went with color this time!

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Congratulations, Doll House Ghost!