Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Put me down for Zodiac Clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Trying to channel that generic paperback cover of something on your required reading list that you buy at Waldenbooks the night before itís due.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sedgr posted:

Krispy Wafer: You nailed the look you were going for. This definitely hits the "book I was forced to buy for a reading list" vibe right on. I think it's maybe a bit too spot on for me though and overall ends up being a bit of a negative. The result is a little monochromatic and I wish there was just...more. I dont know how to put it exactly. More color, or detail, or a gradient or something. It's well done, just a little too plain for my tastes.

Despair is what I was going for and despair is what I accomplished.

I had a more colorful detailed variant, but it just didn't quite work. I was working on something similar to Solenna's entry, but I couldn't nail the look like they did.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I'm going to be repetitive and say count me in too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Doing reps...

Is there not an Inktober thread this year?

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 1, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Good choice. I love messy watercolors.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I've been totally dragging my feet on a Medieval/plague comic strip idea so I'm down with some motivation.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Ok, submissions closed. Iíll have a verdict once I get home tonight (yes Iím still working in an office despite the plague)

Whoa whoa I thought we had until midnight?

I have a submission that I'm trying to get finished.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

The deadline was for yesterday but if you think you can get it in tonight I donít mind pushing back the date until tonight.

Yeah, I can get it in tonight. I just need to put everything on one page and maybe ink the last comic panel.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iíve been mulling doing a comic strip about 13th century England because whatís funnier than the Black Death. Yeah, that idea aged surprisingly bad incredibly quickly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, Iíll throw in one an equine theme.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I just want to say, gently caress horse anatomy. I will never not screw up the legs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Itís horse time! Iím trying to teach myself woodcut printing and this is my first finished product. Itís messy and the lines are rear end, but lino carving is without a doubt the most calming thing Iíve ever experienced. Put on your magnifying glasses, turn on some Jim Croce and itís like happy little trees, but sharp knives.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

That looks like a huge amount of fun.

It is, and it was surprisingly inexpensive to get into. The biggest problem is transferring the image onto the lino block. There are multiple ways to do it and the way I tried didn't really work, so I had to free hand about half, which is rough when the image is reversed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I tried using a laser printer and acetone. It gave the faintest of impressions, which was enough for the basics, but not fine detail.

I'm going to try the method where you stick the laser printer image on the lino with wood glue and then slowly rub off the paper until all that's left is the image on the carving surface.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

138 posted:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-White-PVC-Panel-204496/205533723 this stuff is great. It's a little tougher to carve but more durable. Cheaper too, I think.

Neat idea. I was having trouble using wood, but lino seems too soft. I'll see if I can find one of those PVC panels.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

For wood your tools have to be really sharp and even then you can will be victim to the whims of the wood. But if you do want to do wood, use something like basswood or high quality birch plywood.

I was using a highish quality birch, but I'm still trying to figure out my knife technique and how to best integrate that with the v-gouge tools. I need sharper blades. That's partly why my lines were such rear end.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

It was a fun theme topic. I enjoyed trying something different and I hope we never have another horse prompt.

138 posted:

Having good tools is key if you're going to do wood carving. If you want to do block printing, you can do most everything with https://www.amazon.com/PFEIL-Swiss-Made-No-15-V-Parting/dp/B0032YYWLE . I have one that I've used for years. A bigger scoop will save you time and a smaller v gouge will help with detail, but you can do detail fine with the one I linked if you use a light touch.

edit: it's key because blunt tools are most likely to hurt you and are harder to use.

Iíve got some good gouge tools, but Iím not sure if Iím using the right straight edge knife to score the surface. Any suggestions there or does it really matter as long as itís sharp?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I actually will use my non-dominant hand depending on the angle. I try to score the lines at a 45 degree angle away from the line and then gouge up to the line. When I do it well it makes a great crisp edge. I just donít do it well that often.

But itís neat to hear thatís a technique. I noticed I could sometimes get a better line with my left hand which was confusing me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I'm in on the greco-roman theme.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tried a little paper craft...

And hereís the image with all the layers in one place.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Me too. Time to try and figure out how a cow in a space suit would work.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iím going to be traveling during the deadline and more importantly I need to stop tinkering with this so hereís my submission.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

This was a surprisingly tough topic. I burnt through 3 failed entries and wasted a dozen hours before I got something I liked.

Itís not so much that we canít draw farm animals in space, but what are they doing in space?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Angrymog posted:

They didn't have to be farm animals. I admit I was hopping for some frogs

Donít get me wrong, itís a good prompt. It was just a lot more challenging than I expected.

And yeah, frogs would have been pretty cool.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Captain Space Pig was all digital using a half-tone set I bought but never got around to using. Iím trying to get that 1950ís comic book style figured out. Still havenít managed it, but Iím a little closer. Happy it won. I had two other efforts before that which werenít gelling.

As for the next prompt, Iím working on it. Hope to have something by tomorrow.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sorry for the delay, weíve been out of town and like the old adage ďthereís always money in the banana shackĒ, thereís always drama on vacation.

Iíve been trying hard to think of a new prompt and think Iíve come up with hands and/or feet. Make some hands and/or feet. But not like an art class exercise. Design them wrong. Like anatomically incorrect. Something like someone saying theyíre all thumbs and well...being all thumbs. Or quadruple jointed. All I ask is that theyíre vaguely human looking and with minimal functionality.

Deadline for sign-ups is 7/15. Submissions by 7/22.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lost track of time. So the deadline will be midnight tomorrow (7/22).

The entries all look great. You wouldnít think a relatively open ended theme would be difficult, but it always is.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Just to preface, the entirety of my formal art training was Life Studies freshman year in college so that's the level of critical expertise you're getting here.

Creepy. I like the economy of colors and lines. This could be clipart and I don't say that in a bad way. Strong imagery, limited colors, easily scaleable/reproducible. I can see this being an illustration in a psych magazine article or children's horror anthology. The messy coloring works well for the subject matter.

I really like the line work here. I've never been confident enough to not outline most everything I draw so only using black on the shadows really makes this pop out. This feels like a book cover or a concert poster. It feels weird to compliment shadows in a drawing of a shadow puppet, but the shadowing is very good.

The frantic ink strokes and that one finger dragging across the ceiling are horrifying. This could also be a magazine illustration, but probably in a Christian youth magazine about the dangers of masturbation. This was the most animated of the entries and it does a good job of implying motion and a sense of panic.

If I didn't know the theme I'd have a tough time telling what this was. That's not necessarily a negative. This could be a tree you pass every day on your way home and then one day you realize what it looks like and you're thoroughly weirded out and breaking into cold sweats. Or maybe it's a gnarled dead tree in a field outside your window that appears to be getting closer each day. I like the shading. The whole thing looks very organic, which is probably helped by the physical media.

I can't tell if this is physical or digital. The warm tones and not so nice subject matter are unnerving. This is really making me uncomfortable, but I can't stop looking at it. The shading is great, especially around the toenails. There are a lot of different textures being reproduced here with only the color brown. The way the image fades away as we move up the body makes me wonder how twisted the rest of the person looks.

-----

Thanks for all the entries. Everything was very different in both subject matter and technique. The judging was close, but I still can't stop looking at Sigma 6's twisted feet. They're freaking me out. That's in part because of the work and partly because ankle injuries give me the willies. So Sigma 6 is our winner this ArtDome.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

How does the Garbage Pail Kid version of Donald Trump look more sympathetic and human than the real life version?

Count me in. Pun times are ahead.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, yeah, the name isnít great but have you ever tried to rhyme something with Karen?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wait, did we both pick the name Art Dome Kids independently? Because that's...awesome.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NAG posted:

Sadly no, I was just going to call it Garbage Pail Kids but then I saw your picture and changed it for unity

I figured it was easier to kern Art Dome Kids in the limited space than Garbage Pail Kids. Glad my laziness is being recognized.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

Most of it's going into storage and then I get to pretend I am from Sparta.

Krispy Wafer: The crocs are a nice touch. Did she use her venti, iced skinny hazelnut macchiato, sugar-free syrup, extra shot, light ice, no whip to summon the ghosts of art dome's past?

I'm most pleased with the pentagram. Otherwise it's a bog-standard Karen joke that we've all seen before.

Also the red rimmed eyes were a happy accident. I added the background last and hadn't fully colored the eyes in white.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I'll join the shark feeding frenzy.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lifeless eyes, black eyes...like a 8 bit dollís eyes.

Now I want to do a pixel shark too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Oh man, I can hear that big guy's oddly high pitched voice in my head.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

When I was a kid the wereshark was my favorite creature in the AD&D Monster Manual. This is the first edition one which just looks absolutely ridiculous. Like, what does this do that a shark already doesn't do? How is this thing any worse than an actual shark you might encounter?

Later versions had legs and swords and could chase you on land, but the first one is still the best.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Great submissions. I'm glad people liked my wereshark and I'm also glad I didn't win because that was a very sloppy and rushed pixel art job on my part. Johnny-on-the-spot did it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iím in.