Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I feel strangely drawn to "Zodiac Clone" so I'm in. And thank you GBS thread talking about good threads throughout the forums or I would have missed this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Earth's most brilliant scientist sends twelve of her clones to twelve orbiting research stations, where one will discover the terrible secret that could destroy everything.

All Clip Studio Pro, referencing a pile of old sci-fi books I have.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Sedgr posted:

Solenna: I really liked this entry and I'm imagining I've seen this book at the local library. It's been sitting on the shelves since 1974 and I can practically tell the color of the aged pulp paper from that era. I think it's something about the green textured look, sets a pretty specific timeframe in my mind. That single open eye pulls focus really nicely. I'd maybe remove the texturing from the text to make it stand out a bit more but it all works pretty well as it is.
I am so happy to hear that, because it was exactly the look I was going for! (this is one of my books at home I used for reference) I never quite figured out a text look I was happy with, no texture looked like it didn't fit the rest of the picture, but I understand about making it stand out too.

And I'm in for the maps prompt too, tweaking childhood to more along the lines of baby to toddlerhood

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I've done some outdoor climbing in the past, and I have a toddler, so now I have an ages 0-3 sport climbing topo map.

Since it's a pretty niche thing, here are some legends and symbol guides, and two topo maps that I have actually used.
https://imgur.com/AJgvHzK.jpg
http://www.oocities.org/summitcorock/pictures/topoguide.jpg
https://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=395812&confirm_post=12
https://www.summitpost.org/rock-gardens-topo-2/392550/c-392116

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Thanks! I didn't even think of there being two ways to read it until you pointed it out, and I totally see that now. I haven't done outdoor climbing since my kid, I'm a total gym rat now.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Artdome 5: Make a Map Results and Critique
:siren:Winner!:siren:
:words:
Well done to both of you, two very different but engrossing interpretations of the prompt! Congrats Solenna, I'm excited to see what you come up with for the next round.
Thank you so much! Being able to mash two of my hobbies together was a fun change. And aaaaaaaaaa dammit a crack on problem #3 would have been brilliant. Some of the obstacles were on purpose, boob and bottle diverging but ending up in the same place was on purpose, but some was just what looked good on the picture. I intentionally made Peeing in the Potty the longest and most difficult, with a bunch of roofs to climb over because I am so goddamn sick of cleaning up pee.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

:siren:ART PROMPT:siren:
A small bit about the written word: one of the coolest things about humanity is our ability to use metaphors, and read deeper meanings into what would otherwise be simple and straightforward descriptions. You can evoke feelings and images without ever directly stating what you're talking about. Descriptions can mean things other than what they're actually literally describing. Well I say enough of that nonsense, it's time to take things incredibly literally, whether it's a common turn of phrase, a product/business name or a childish insult.

Does someone have a couple screws loose? Better get the Robertson screwdriver. Or Phillips if you're an American I guess.
Is that guy a complete dickhead? Get ready to bust out the :nws: tags, it's penis time
Cool Ranch Doritos? Sounds like an Arctic Dorito farm.

Taking descriptive words and phrases incredibly literally is another broad prompt, but a lot of phrases and descriptions are super weird when you think about them.

Declare by August 26 (you don't have to say what words you're using but you can if you want)

Deadline Sept 4 SEPT 8! so you have two weekends!

Solenna fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 23, 2019

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Keetron: if there's something in your first language that fits go for it! It might need a little explaining but that's no big deal.

Everyone else: how about I bump the due date back to the end of Sept 8, give it another weekend. I'd rather wait a little longer and have more art!

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Just over a day left, and this is all great so far!

:swoon:

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

T-minus a couple hours! Though I'll have to decide after work tomorrow

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

So many cool entries, but I think I have to give it to lofi, because the picture is rad as hell, and I'd never considered the weird implications of the phrase, and now that's the only thing I'll be able to think of when people say it.

lofi posted:

"...Police are still attempting to track down the escaped killer known only as Game Face. Residents are advised..."

The more I thought about the phrase 'game face' the clearer it became that it could only be referring to a slasher villain who wears a mask made from skinned animals.

Critiques will be tomorrow I think.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Sounds different from what I usually do, I'm in!

Critiques!

lofi: again, really cool, with a concept that gets weirder the longer I think about it. I dig the lighting, especially the black shadows cast by the lantern. The broken doorknob is a nice touch too. About the only things I can really think of critique wise is the curly shading on the lower pants keep reading as hair, and the hand holding the axe looks a little wonky in the thumb area.

Keetron: adorable, and I learned about a delicious sounding dessert! The mice all look very personable and I like that you added shadows from the falling anise. You should pick up a free art editing program and crop it a little, and adjust the white balance, it almost always does a picture a disservice otherwise. (I'm pretty biased, I have a friend I bug all the time about it, and do this to them whenever they send me stuff they're working on)

Angrymog: this was my husband's favourite entry, and I laughed too. I do agree with what you said about rough execution, but since you already know, I won't harp on it too much. Those pink bums look like they'll need sunscreen!

readingatwork: I really like how crisp all the linework, and keeping the hatching all at a consistent angle, and the flat grey in the background all adds to a really clean look. I think with how clean, and how accurately proportioned everything is the feather detailing on the wings looks a little last minute.

Al! that shed is haunted as gently caress, goddamn. The colours of the background adds to the gloomy and foreboding mood. I'm not entirely sure I would have pegged it as blood though, it looks more like it's glowing lava or something. I'm not entirely sure what would have worked without an external light source though.

sigma 6: I wasn't sure if the belated map entry was something for "wearing your heart on your sleeve" it works for both prompts! As for the talking head, the updated tv and black suit made it look way better, and the whole effect is really pretty unsettling. Maybe not quite as bafflingly literal as a talking head could be, but still cool.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Eeeeeeeeeh I can tell I hit art block pretty hard, but it's something. And I didn't yell at Clip Studio while trying to do the animation, so there's that.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

lofi posted:

It's crit time! In order of when you posted.

Solenna
The first crit I've got is don't shoot down your work before you show it to people judging it. Seriously, all you're going to do is sound like you're making excuses and bias people against your work. I know it's only the forums, but it's a bad habit. If you really gotta kvetch, at least put it after the art!

The picture (video? gif?) is pretty sweet, it's making me think of... 80s music videos? MTV title cards? Something along those lines, though I can't put my finger on it. It's cool, whatever it is. When they figure out how to do animated tats, I'd get that done. If you were going with a snake for 'repetition', it's weird that you didn't use an ouroboros, but I think a circle might have been a less interesting shape. Why the snake? Is it shedding pattern-skins?

Other thing I'd suggest is leaving out the plain-black frame - it's very distinct in the loop, and makes it feel more stilted than it otherwise would.

I am wildly annoyed at the first part of your crit, because criticizing your own work before people have a chance to form their own opinion is something I give friends hell for on a regular basis and I did that exact same thing. I see what you mean about the black frame though, I was toying with having it go black between patterns or fade from black to others, but never had enough time to play with it.

I know it's past declaration date, so I might not get a crit, but I'll give this round a shot anyways.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I have a bit of colouring left to do, I'll be in

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I went for a YouTuber named Kat who is co-creator of the channel Beauty News which I watch while doing art or other craft stuff because apparently listening to Australian ladies talk poo poo about makeup is something I find relaxing.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Despite the terrible pun above, I'm in too

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

If the Norse pagans had been in a position to build fancy cathedrals instead of the Christians we could have had stained glass of Yggdrasil the world tree, with the three wells/springs that feed the roots, Odin's ravens Huginn and Muninn, and the Nine Realms in the branches.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Flavius Aetass posted:

Can you tell me how that was made?
I sketched it out on paper, went over the black lines in felt tip marker and then scanned it into Clip Studio Pro to get the lines solid black and fill in the rest of the black around the picture. The colouring was all digital with a couple different filters applied over different colours to mimic stained glass effects. I've done stained glass in the past and this is similar to how I've laid out real glass patterns, so I tried to keep this layout fairly plausible.

Solenna fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 17, 2019

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Holy poo poo that's hilarious.

Thank you Flavius Aetass! Current circumstances mean no doing stained glass for me anytime soon and I haven't even been doing pattern layouts, so this was a really great challenge to get me back into that sort of mindset.

I will write up a prompt tomorrow!

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Art prompt: Draw some baby advice! I've having my second kid in just over a month, and while I haven't gotten as much advice this go round (thankfully), people do feel like they need to tell you all kinds of stuff, and they rarely provide helpful pictures.

It can be information for the parents

Or it can be information for the kids themselves!

If you don't know much about babies or don't particularly like them, just make something up I'm sure it will be fine.

Let's have the sign up deadline December 26th and the due date Jan 5 because Christmas/New Years is such a mess for people.

syntaxrigger posted:

A lot of yall would have caught on sooner if you were on the discord :smug:
Is there a link to the CC discord? Damned if I can find the right channel on the goon server.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Goddamn ambiguous grammar

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Last weekend for this challenge!

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'll leave this open overnight and choose a winner tomorrow!

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Gonna do crits right now too since there were only a couple entries, I know this is a busy time of year for everyone.

Makeout Patrol posted:

I don't have a child so I kind of had to make some assumptions about what you can and cannot do

You're correct, reinsertion is generally not recommended and this is a solid second place piece.

The expressions on the parents crack me up, I get a feeling of annoyed exhaustion, which is pretty much accurate. And I like that the lettering was all hand done, and that there are so many hands in the picture and they all look pretty good which I'm sure wasn't easy. Since it doesn't look like you have a scanner I'd definitely say get a free art program and touch up the contrast, you lose a lot of what looks like nice and crisp black and white inking. The other thing is since the line weights are all fairly similar either get them even more the same, or be more deliberate in emphasis. Like Mom there has a strong jaw and chin, but the linework is more delicately done than her hair.

Al! posted:

my gross idea was too gross

"do not eat" aesprite
WINNER

I laughed out loud at these. I dig the low res look of this set, and it's a great use of animated gifs. The simplicity makes it funnier than anything more complex would be. And I have actually yelled "STOP EATING THAT POPCAN" so they're funny and also accurate. I wish the blinking was a hair slower though, it'll give me a headache if I look too long, and I do think if you're doing sets of images they should all have the ultra simple background/shadow effect like the smokes and pocketknife, or none of them should.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I've hoarded all my old art since I was in my mid teens so I guess I'm obligated to enter this one.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Check out my cool dragon!

The other side of this picture is a field trip form from 1998, so I would have been in grade 8 and 13 at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Solenna posted:

Check out my cool dragon!

The other side of this picture is a field trip form from 1998, so I would have been in grade 8 and 13 at the time.

rawr