Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!

Fiedler posted:

if your job is to purchase enterprise software from ISVs, you learn very loving quickly to care about the implementation details

i cannot reconcile this statement with a lifetime of working with and on enterprise software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation

The Management posted:

it’s a loving filter.

all programs are filters.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation

animist posted:

ai won't kill us

not all of us anyway, and certainly not all at once.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
For real though anyone doing research in ML or machine vision should stop. The downsides of these technologies significantly outweigh the benefits.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation

lancemantis posted:

tbh that can be said of pretty much any technology

you can say anything you can think of but for some things its true and for some things its not

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation

rotor posted:

For real though anyone doing research in ML or machine vision should stop. The downsides of these technologies significantly outweigh the benefits.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation

DaTroof posted:

if it's the ray phan i'm thinking of, he was probably interviewed as an expert in the field, not one of the course's students

since the course copied stuff from github, some of phan's code might even be in it

yeah ray phan at hover is a phd in computer vision

but also no one should be a phd in computer vision, the field should be forgotten, the books burned and the earth where you bury the ashes should be salted.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
the minute anyone says the word "ontology" I want you to shout BULLSHIT as loud as you can

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
idk that seems ok to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
i spent a lot of time around AI people in the late 90s and for whatever reason every time someone said 'ontology' it was like "ok we're at T-minus-some-bullshit o'clock"