Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Will Be AEW Champion?
This poll is closed.
Jericho 101 40.24%
Hang Man 91 36.25%
Omega 10 3.98%
Mox 49 19.52%
Total: 251 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Legitimately I think the only complaint I have about the show was that it was annoying that the commentators didn't explain who the Super Smash Brothers were. I know there are copyright concerns, but there were better ways to handle it.

That said, that's seriously the ONLY complaint I have to make and that's loving incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

remember when dustin rhodes was the best worker in a match people are saying is their motyc at 50

A 50 year old has been in my MOTY or close to it like 4 times this decade.

Dustin is by far the lamest of all of them so that is notable.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Legitimately I think the only complaint I have about the show was that it was annoying that the commentators didn't explain who the Super Smash Brothers were. I know there are copyright concerns, but there were better ways to handle it.

That said, that's seriously the ONLY complaint I have to make and that's loving incredible.

i think that mine would be that JR was going out of his way not to say that dustin's face was a crimson mask. its a pretty minor complaint :)

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Jerusalem posted:

I felt there was a similar problem in the BR when they had like 5 people all come out at once. Didn't give people time to shine, or even get introduced. A few people even got eliminated and were never mentioned.

They did a good job in the later matches explaining to new fans why these wrestlers and histories are important, though, but that's something they need to work on a bit more throughout the card as they head to TV.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

what a loving incredible show, I'm excited for wrestling in a way I haven't been in a long time

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Posted in the GDT but I'll post it here, too.

That was awesome. Felt like things really got started with the joshi match and everything before that was just okay. Cody/Dustin somehow had my favorite match of the night. 

I want weekly TV right now!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sleepwalkers posted:

foochs, i hope you get the dean ambrose you've been wishing to see all these years and that watching him ends up being a highlight of your week for years to come. :)

I do too, but hot take, I don't want AEW to "take down" WWE. Monopolies are bad. What I want is for AEW to keep kicking rear end and for WWE to hopefully get its poo poo together out of a necessity they haven't had in about 20 years.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Here's my story of watching this show:

I had been joking that I was wasting the evening on wrestling because I am degenerate. I was watching this show, and my wife made dinner right when Cody and Dustin was about to start so I went away from the stream thinking I'd be able to start it from where I left off. Right after we finished our dinner I turned it back on, and it was near the end of the match.

Wife: Is.... is that real blood?
Me: Yes
Wife: You actually are a degenerate

lmao. Sucks I missed the best match but I'll watch it tomorrow.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WWE should be destroyed because the WWE puts out bad wrestling shows.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Taintrunner posted:

hey remmeber when dustin rhodes loving bled to death tonight

I'll never forget as long as I live.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
SCU/Strong Hearts was great but there was a lot of confusion on whether or not those guys with CIMA were the OWE guys. Technically, yeah but Lindaman and T-Hawk are both friends of CIMA from Dragon Gate. Hopefully in the future the OWE rookies get a showcase against any number of the talented tag teams on the roster.

The Women's Four-Way was good to great and a nice change of pace from the WWE multi-woman clusterfuck matches where one or two women are just inserted in at random. All four women could really go and it showed, and Awesome Kong showing up after the Brandi swerve had me marking the hell out

Best Friends vs Angelico and Evans was great and like people mentioned even though there were multiple types of teams with similar STYLES no two matches looked alike.

That Joshi Showcase blew a lot of people out of the water, tons of new fans for Hikaru Shida and AYAYAYAYA and Emi's Freddie Mercury tribute + getting the whole crowd to sing We Will Rock You was awesome. Riho didn't get a ton of attention (The smallest girl there, wearing all white) but she's only 21 years old and has wrestled for thirteen years Hope they get to put on more showcases like that in the future for other lesser-known styles that American audiences won't get much exposure to!

The Rhodes match was surprisingly brutal and a southern style bloodbath with a lot of emotion at the end. That's a masterclass on how to put on a true blood feud and they didn't even have much to build off since this was only their second ever show

Bret Hart showing up was another HUGE loving surprise and I just wonder how livid Vince is right now after just recently inducting him into the Hall of Fame again

The Double Main Event matches were both good but kinda of just lesser versions of matches we've already seen. That's not a BAD thing at all, because they still put on great matches, but I'm more excited to see the future matchups that haven't been seen in NJPW or the indies a dozen times.

Also Jon F'n Moxley popping up was one last final gently caress you to Vince & Co to end the show. By 2020 people are probably going to be doing heroin on twitter just to get releases from their contracts

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Cody is becoming a god.
The God of Gods

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i really thought angelico/jack evans vs the super friends was entertaining as heck too, even with no stakes

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey remember at the beginning of the women's match when Brandi Rhodes came out like she was gonna enter the action and she loving worked us all for an AWESOME KONG entrance

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chris James 2 posted:

that tag division is going to be so incredible btw

Bucks
Lucha Bros
Angelico/Evans
Best Friends
SCU
OWE guys
Did I hear the SSB?

Holy crap.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Jerusalem posted:

Could have honestly just called them Evil Uno and Stupified/Dos. It's been AGES since we've seen them in the US and they've changed their looks up quite a bit but it was frustrating that they had to dance around what to call them

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Burn Down Canberra posted:

They really couldn't have done any better imo.

Smashed it out the park and left me wanting more.
:yeah:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

destroying that cheesy rear end throne with a sledgehammer was just...the best thing

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't know who the girl was who looked like the child of Rebbecca Chambers and Sabu, but she's swell

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Midnightghoul posted:

I felt there was a similar problem in the BR when they had like 5 people all come out at once. Didn't give people time to shine, or even get introduced. A few people even got eliminated and were never mentioned.

I missed the Battle Royale but I did read people in the thread who were taking it as a bad sign that we were just going to get WWE style booking/matches, so it is a relief that basically everything that happened after that was so much better. I guess battle royales really are just clusterfucks that nobody likes.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boar guy posted:

destroying that cheesy rear end throne with a sledgehammer was just...the best thing

so loving stupid but it was so loving wrestling-rear end wrestling poo poo

also all those times steph would hand HHH the sledgehammer. incredible throwback.

Also the loving throne exploded. THE THRONE EXPLODED

https://twitter.com/tde_wrestling/status/1132461249319579648

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I think there's that and the camerawork was pretty disjointed for the first half of the show.

Otherwise that was a loving stellar show, and I am so goddamn excited for the future.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

My only negative was that I wanted to listen to Yuka Sakazaki's entrance music because it sounded weird and everyone was posting AYAYAYAY but I couldn't find a link on youtube

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

that show ruled

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Double or Nothing was great and it feels great to finally be excited for American wrestling again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

RealFoxy posted:

Could have honestly just called them Evil Uno and Stupified/Dos. It's been AGES since we've seen them in the US and they've changed their looks up quite a bit but it was frustrating that they had to dance around what to call them

Every time I've seen them recently in SMASH they were just called "SSB" anyway. I actually assumed they had just adopted that name when they turned heel and ditched the video game gimmick. I actually was surprised at how intimidating and effective Evil Uno was.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I missed the Battle Royale but I did read people in the thread who were taking it as a bad sign that we were just going to get WWE style booking/matches, so it is a relief that basically everything that happened after that was so much better. I guess battle royales really are just clusterfucks that nobody likes.

It was this plus that backstage thing which was legitimately loving awful.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E
I got my $50 worth and I am looking forward to the next one. It's been a long time since I had this much fun watching a professional wrestling show from start to finish.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Taintrunner posted:

so loving stupid but it was so loving wrestling-rear end wrestling poo poo

also all those times steph would hand HHH the sledgehammer. incredible throwback.

Also the loving throne exploded. THE THRONE EXPLODED

https://twitter.com/tde_wrestling/status/1132461249319579648

If only they had the technology to make Pharoah melt it with fire breath.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Taintrunner posted:

hey remmeber when dustin rhodes loving bled to death tonight

remember when cody got his rear end out?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love how Reddit is melting down about the throne smashing and trying to poo poo all over something fun and cool

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i hope the barrel is never explained. when people ask kenny or jericho they should just go "what barrel"

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Man, what a time to be alive. I cant wait for Fyter Fest!

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Jerusalem posted:

I think a battle royale is probably a safe thing to ape the style off of WWE for. Say what you will about the winners or whatnot, but they do a very good job setting it up so each person entering means at least something. I imagine they didn't do individual entrances due to time constraints, but they should definitely go back to the drawing board before the next one.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

Taintrunner posted:

I love how Reddit is melting down about the throne smashing and trying to poo poo all over something fun and cool

Like, I could understand this if the match was awful, but it all made sense. They got to do the match they wanted to have finally and it turned out amazing.

And the ending was just a tear jerker. You let the wrestlers be themselves and it feels 100% real.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

it was loving hilarious, three little skulls on dowels and the big rear end iron cross, and then the fucker exploded when he sledgehammered it. i say god drat

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The BR only felt "WWEish" because the clumped entrances resulted in that thing where WWE BRs that aren't the Rumble start with everyone in the ring brawling chaotically and you can't tell who is even in the match let alone what's happening.

Obviously the "suits" entrances was just an idea they had to save time and I get it, but it just didn't work. That's not a sign of some deeper problems or something, its just a mistake that's easy to identify and avoid repeating.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
That show was just really, really loving good glad I got to poo poo post with you all during it

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Mr Snips posted:

My only negative was that I wanted to listen to Yuka Sakazaki's entrance music because it sounded weird and everyone was posting AYAYAYAY but I couldn't find a link on youtube
It was literally on YouTube until the show started and got copyright claimed :negative:

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF6KbhngASE&t=75s

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
mike is me when cody starting going up the ramp with the sledge hammer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebb8baFaQ-s&t=3387s