Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Problem description: My primary browser is an install of Firefox Portable. Clicking on links from non-browser sources (such as the news feed in the Steam client) opens up an instance of regular Firefox without any of my extensions or settings. This happens even if Firefox Portable is running.

Attempted fixes: Checked on Google for fixes. People report the opposite issue; they want to be able to run Portable and regular in parallel. I reversed some of the fixes suggested for those people; I placed a FirefoxPortable notepad document as per the template from the Other/Source folder and followed the instructions in the ReadMe, making sure that "AllowMultipleInstances" was "=false". I placed this notepad document in the main folder that has the .exe, however that didn't fix the problem and links still opened up an instance of regular Firefox. I also tried adding "AllowMultipleInstances=false" to the FireFoxSettings notepad found in the Data/settings folder of the install, again to no avail. I checked to see if there was a different install location for regular Firefox however Task Manager tells me its running from the Portable version's .exe. As far as I can tell there is no option in Firefox's internal settings menu to disable this functionality or force links to open in a Firefox Portable instance.

Recent changes: No, the issue has been ongoing for a while now, I just finally got fed up with it enough to try and resolve it.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64-bit

System specs: Not sure it's relevant at all, can provided if I'm wrong.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
By "primary browser", do you mean that Firefox Portable is set as the system's default program for handling http(s) links? It seems it's a bit problematic to get the registration to take. I found this utility that should do it, and they claim that it works from Vista through Win 10:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/register-firefox-portable-with-default-programs-in-vista/

The executable checks clean on Virus Total.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Thank you very much, the guide and the executable did it, this was exactly the fix I needed!