Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I don't know anything about any of this but what I do know is the Hawaiian Hitchhiker involves an anus, a thumb and a pineapple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

the magnum pi reboot looks weird as hell

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

i found ThreeOlives new avatar.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

wildboars have always done something wrong, ecologically speaking

Guilty of hogging while delicious.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

She is either lying or should never go outside by herself again. Even that idiot push cart goon would of walked out of the woods once his Doritos stash ran low.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
she photoshopped her leg

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

quote:

Eller's mother, Julia, said her daughter hiked into the woods, stopped to meditate, then couldn't find her way back to her car. The SUV was found in the Makawao parking lot, her wallet and phone inside.

Julia Eller said her daughter kept walking, surviving by drinking from the creek and eating wild raspberries and other fruits. Amanda lost about 15 pounds. She fell two feet off a ledge and broke a bone in her leg. She lost her shoes in a flash flood. But she did not give up.

“I heard this voice that said, ‘If you want to live, keep going,'" Amanda Eller told The New York Times.

That voice was trying to kill you by pushing you as far from the trailhead as possible. This is an anti-the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon scenario.

quote:

Julia Eller said Amanda waved at helicopters that occasionally flew overhead, but that the canopy was apparently too thick for searchers to see her.

Maybe if you are seeing helicopters, find a darn clearing?

quote:

Hundreds of volunteers who aided the grim search and sensational rescue of Amanda Eller will celebrate Monday at a barbecue bash promoted by the "Findamanda" Facebook page.

Dozens perish trying to follow her hand drawn map.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/26/amanda-eller-i-chose-life-when-lost-hawaiian-forest/1245028001/

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I often get so disoriented waking up from naps that I wander aimlessly into the wilderness such that I get lost :lsd:

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Big Beef City posted:

No content in the OP, only a signature.

Mods?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

“Big Beef City" posted:

Mods?

I resign as OP :doggo:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Aloha

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

quote:

On Friday afternoon, less than an hour after her family announced a $50,000 reward for information, rescuers found Ms. Eller

hmmmmmmmhmm

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

Big Beef City posted:

Mods?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
never heard of this before this thread but what im reading reminds me of the everest thread

people who literally dont know how a compass works, or own one, who cannot hunt or even fish or learn any of the basics of the outdoors

gets herself lost on a casual hike, now the world rallies to call her a hero for 'refusing to die'? if only they knew that after a day of being hungry, i too often find and eat food

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

In case you're lost in Hawaii please remember that the tiny branches of papaya trees are hollowand perfect for an on the go marijuana pipe

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
you could walk across the entire island of Maui in like 2 days and this bitch hero got lost in 4 square miles for 17 days

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Isn't the island like 30 miles across?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Edgar posted:

Isn't the island like 30 miles across?

It seems like if you go downhill or follow a river in every national park on the island you’d be out of the park in a day.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
She’s gonna get a medal or some award.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

Burt Sexual posted:

She’s gonna get a medal or some award.

A lifetime tv movie most likely.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Edgar posted:

A lifetime tv movie most likely.

On day ten R Kelly just showed up and went to town

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

On day ten R Kelly just showed up and went to town

she's 20 years too old for r kelly

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

The White Dragon posted:

she's 20 years too old for r kelly

He was on vacation anything goes

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Supreme Allah posted:

I dont think it's hard to survive in the open in hawaii at all

I also read hitler at first

Water can be hard to find, but fish and fruit are plentiful. A land of contrasts.

Offer only applies to Leeward side, Windward side is wet and has running streams.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

KiteAuraan posted:

Offer only applies to Leeward side, Windward side is wet and has running streams.

yeah if you wanna get the lepto maybe

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

kazr posted:

In case you're lost in Hawaii please remember that the tiny branches of papaya trees are hollowand perfect for an on the go marijuana pipe

And you can sound yourself with palm leaves...

... I have heard...

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

value-brand cereal posted:

wht the christ is the pathetic poo poo I wished the ghosts of genocided native hawaiians murdered her rear end. Goddamn. Pathetic.

I wish the actual Hawaiians got her. Seriously, don't gently caress around there, don't be a dick, don't be a haole, don't gently caress up someone's forest grove at night.

Now if you know people who are Kanaka Maoli and are respected and they're cool with you, you don't get your rear end beat, but you don't get to that level without minding your poo poo to begin with.

The White Dragon posted:

yeah if you wanna get the lepto maybe

Yeah that, it's also why you don't go for the springs and few streams and creeks that exist here in Arizona. Unless you like lepto and glacier gut.

KiteAuraan fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 27, 2019

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

And you can sound yourself with palm leaves...

... I have heard...

Truly a land of plenty

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"I have a strong survival instinct so I just walked where my intuition told me to!"

The dumb bitch walked around in big circles for 2 weeks lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

maxe posted:

I thought U said Hawaiian Hitler

considerably way more chill

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
is this the cliff wife or is that a different thread

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Pistol_Pete posted:

"I have a strong survival instinct so I just walked where my intuition told me to!"

The dumb bitch walked around in big circles for 2 weeks lol
my idiot friend who i ride bikes with is also super dumb and has no sense of direction

we got slightly lost and he said "well we should go downhill and then we will find the river and then we will find the lake and then we will know where we are"

and i just said "no we just backtrack and follow the same trail in reverse until we arnt lost"

some people really are that dumb or have problems with awareness

im not the best at mountaineering or whatever but like some people are tragic at it

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
jokes on everyone when we find out what shes telling us with that "i chose life" line is that shes an undead

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

She's a Hawaiian native and couldn't find her way to the edge of the island?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I want to say that I don't believe people are dumb enough to get lost in they own back yard for 2½ weeks, but I can't.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

She's a Hawaiian native and couldn't find her way to the edge of the island?
you look at it on a map and it looks small but its pretty easy to get turned around and in deep poo poo before you know it

my best advice like i said is if you are getting lost back track the way you came

tree, bushes, and all kinds of foliage all look the same, stick to the trail

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

now this chick might be dumb for sure but there is a big rear end park that you could totally just live with the bears if you wanted to near where i live, you could absolutely get turned around and lost. i dunno about 14 days though, like i could imagine getting lost for a couple days maybe even a few.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

shes hot though id downward doggie with her for sure

edit: WP sucks and TRUMP RULES

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
You say it's unlikely she could have been wandering lost for all that time, but I once spent an hour in an Ikea car park trying to find my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Washington Post posted:

As the days wore on, Eller’s father’s tech background became key to search efforts.

John Eller, the chief executive of a telematics company, introduced a search interface that allowed volunteers to log via their smartphones where they already looked. When they returned to camp, they handed over their own GPS data to coordinators, which then colored in swaths of a map and revealed which areas still needed to be combed.

Lol now I’m convinced too. Her dad just happens to own a company that develops software for just this thing? This seems like a big marketing stunt for the software.