Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Fleetwood posted:

Maybe a month ago, I was in class and afterwards a classmate was going around showing everyone that video of the APC vehicle during the coup attempt. He showed me the video from his phone. "Look, we're bringing democracy to Venezuela." Exact words.

I told him they already have a democracy but he was so in the moment that he just moved on to the next person, so excited. It was awkward but this guy is also a Jordan Peterson nutter so I guess that's just life on Planet America, where chaos reigns.

Well, that's my story. Thanks for listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/hshaban/status/1133742314726264833

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

buuuuhhhhhhhhhhh whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa huuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh??????????????

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the sonic attacks are a personal bugaboo of mine because i yell at anyone who brings them up

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Al! posted:

the sonic attacks are a personal bugaboo of mine because i yell at anyone who brings them up

talk about a sonic attack :dadjoke:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

p. lol that a bunch of state department dipshits had gangstalking disease for a month I guess

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Dr. Killjoy posted:

p. lol that a bunch of state department dipshits had gangstalking disease for a month I guess

i can't believe members of the state department had preexisting brain damage

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the stupidest thing about all of this is that americans believe the rest of the world is run by saturday morning cartoon villains lending credibility to these insane accusations with no plausible motive

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Al! posted:

what were they? mass delerium? I remember Greenwald blaming it on crickets that magically only affect embassy personnel for some reason he didn't explain because he was late for Tucker

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Crickets came up because some chucklefuck offered a recording of what the personnel were supposedly hearing, a bunch of Cuban scientists were like “this is a recording of crickets”, and later an American entomologist confirmed (because we definitely needed an American’s final say on the subject) “Yeah this is a loving cricket”. That probably wasn’t the impetus of all this though, just State Department trying to cough up shoddy evidence.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

zegermans posted:

what were they? mass delerium? I remember Greenwald blaming it on crickets that magically only affect embassy personnel for some reason he didn't explain because he was late for Tucker

yeah, there were no effects beyond nonspecific symptoms, and the "brain damage" wasn't real except in the sense that drinking a little too much or being too dehydrated or not getting enough sleep causes brain damage

it's as fake as gulf war syndrome

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Crickets came up because some chucklefuck offered a recording of what the personnel were supposedly hearing, a bunch of Cuban scientists were like “this is a recording of crickets”, and later an American entomologist confirmed (because we definitely needed an American’s final say on the subject) “Yeah this is a loving cricket”. That probably wasn’t the impetus of all this though, just State Department trying to cough up shoddy evidence.

i assume the reason why the embassy staff were adamant it must be a super weapon is because they'd never lived in the tropics where theres a lot of uhm, bugs.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

zegermans posted:

Dr. Killjoy posted:

It's honestly impressive how well they're able to twist things so that obviously the people who aren't screaming about secret commie super weapons are the crazy ones.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

turns out that us imperialist diplomats are just kinda dumb actually, who would have guessed that the clutch of state department vilerats and rich kids whose only real job is springing american tourists from cuban drunk tanks aren't the brightest bulbs

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/scientists-are-questioning-whether-sonic-attacks-are-real

What’s more, in the JAMA study, scores that classified diplomats as having a deficit in brain function fall into humans’ normal variation, says Sergio Della Sala, a cognitive neuroscientist at the University of Edinburgh.

The University of Pennsylvania researchers gave diplomats a failing grade on the brain tests if their score on at least one test was below the 40th percentile (meaning that 40 percent of people who take the tests have scores that fall at the low end of the scale), an impairment threshold that Della Sala argues is too high. That’s because, statistically speaking, people would get failing marks on at least one of these tests 40 percent of the time, even without an attack.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

1. unleash previously secret high tech supersonic mindray weapon on diplomatic staff
2. ???
3. ...cackle manically?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Gotta assume the species of cicada I'm familiar with in the Midwest is the same as everywhere else in the world.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the state department accidentally discovered their diplomatic corps are r*******

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

THS posted:

the state department accidentally discovered their diplomatic corps are r*******

Hey now, they have a long, arduous hiring process.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Was there actually anything in that article? I lost interest about 2/3rds of the way through, around paragraph 90.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

there were a bunch of insane vietnamese expat groups that kept grifting funding to overthrow the communist government and probably killed some local journalists when they started asking where the money was going

PBS did a good documentary on that a few years ago.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/terror-in-little-saigon/

ProPublica did a print story but I've never read it.
https://www.propublica.org/article/terror-in-little-saigon-vietnam-american-journalists-murdered

It got called "controversial" and prompted this great petition, that is a great example of "woke" reactionary politics that parts of the Venezuelan expat community use.
https://www.change.org/p/michael-getler-pbs-ombudsman-investigate-frontline-propublica-s-reporting-in-terror-in-little-saigon

quote:

As a taxpayer-supported broadcaster, PBS should maintain the highest standard of journalistic integrity. The program “Terror in Little Saigon” aired by Frontline on November 3, 2015 fails both professional and ethical standards.

We urge you to investigate why and how the reporting team of Frontline and ProPublica was allowed to broadcast a flawed report based on the preconceived narrative of a militant, extremist Vietnamese American community.

Consider the following:

1. The program misrepresented key sources.

2. The Vietnamese American community is portrayed as a terrorized community.

Just by its name this documentary already established an antagonist as a monster-like character who instilled fear in its victims. This false portrayal facilitated the preconceived narrative that an anti-communist organization must be behind all the unsolved murders.

3. The reporting team exhibited a cultural bias demeaning to Vietnamese Americans.

The program labeled Vietnamese Americans who opposed communism and supported a free Vietnam as “vengeful” and “aiming to restart the Vietnam war.” The reporting team treated the viewpoints of non-Vietnamese as authority while dismissing how Vietnamese American describe their own motives and aspirations.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
come now when have anti-communists murdered anyone

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

if bernovich sandovsky doesn't condemn all anti american sentiment from latin america well i'm gonna lie on my belly and pound the floor with my fists and feet

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Weren't some of the people in that room entirely unaffected?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the embassy thing was definitely aliens btw

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the embassy thing was definitely aliens btw

Yes.

That poo poo was bananas.

We must invade NOW.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ya gotta listen to this noise, doc. it's approximately what I hear whenever I get these strange headaches.

"this is tinnitus."

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

genetically modified crickets that sound out the internationale

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Goon Danton posted:

It's honestly impressive how well they're able to twist things so that obviously the people who aren't screaming about secret commie super weapons are the crazy ones.

I remember when this was bring discussed, and a bunch of posters were acting like "it's technically not impossible that Russia could do this" basically means you have to assume they did until proven otherwise. It was always utterly ludicrous, but they enjoy the benefit of being the "default" opinion with mainstream support and it doesn't really matter if they're inevitably proved wrong months later, since they'll have moved on by then.

The same thing happens in Venezuela discussions. Maduro being responsible for every bad thing and the opposition being good are always treated as defaults, and by the time individual claims are debunked they've moved on to something else.

comedyblissoption posted:

1. unleash previously secret high tech supersonic mindray weapon on diplomatic staff
2. ???
3. ...cackle manically?

The main theory at the time was that it was a side effect of Russian spying technology, so not quite that goofy, but pretty close.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 07:29 on May 30, 2019

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

hey joe, it's your cousin marvin! marvin mccarthy! you know that new sound you were looking for? well listen to this!

*holds up phone, lasers the gently caress out of your brain*

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

I want to believe (that the Russians have awesome superscience psychotronic microwave weapons from the Soviet era)

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 08:59 on May 30, 2019

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Echo Chamber posted:

Sorry; I know it's been goldmined, but I was still inspired.

lol

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I wonder how it would feel for scientists to start dismantling my story only after my boss had me declared brain damaged.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

the stupidest thing about all of this is that americans believe the rest of the world is run by saturday morning cartoon villains lending credibility to these insane accusations with no plausible motive

tbf this allegation has an insanely plausible motive, the motive being lmao gently caress the usa

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

but really that entire allegation sounds like a skinner/chalmers situation

dave why is this report empty, our entire operation was riding on this

uh it was....uh....brain damage

from what

sonic....guns???

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
What's a cricket? What's a diorama?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Yinlock posted:

but really that entire allegation sounds like a skinner/chalmers situation

dave why is this report empty, our entire operation was riding on this

uh it was....uh....brain damage

from what

sonic....guns???
may i hear it?

uh.............y-....yes?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

crew member: this sounds just like the cicadas from my home back in yuma
etymologist: no no, havana. it's a regional dialect.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Extremely pro Guaidó interview/story in npr this morning including some cheerleading for us invasion via claiming more and more Venezuelans support it. Also claiming popular support for Guaidó and that he's "winning the popularity contest"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

they will welcome us as liberators