Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Extremely pro Guaidó interview/story in npr this morning including some cheerleading for us invasion via claiming more and more Venezuelans support it. Also claiming popular support for Guaidó and that he's "winning the popularity contest"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

A Fugitive In His Own Country, Venezuela's Juan Guaidó Insists His Movement Is Strong
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/30/728079493/a-fugitive-in-his-own-country-venezuelas-juan-guaid-insists-his-movement-is-stro

manufactured consent

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Truga posted:

yeah that poo poo fell apart pretty quick when it became clear that no, people don't support guaido because he's an alternative, it's because he's their alternative.

Alternative for Deutschland Venezuela!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Kindest Forums User posted:

The entire world is going to descend into full blown fascism before we cook to death from climate change. What a loving time to be alive.

It's going to be really bad, op

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I know it wasn't intentional, but Hillary Clinton praising Nancy for her AIDS work during her funeral leading to multiple media stories about how poo poo she, her husband and his administration actually were to gay people was an excellent troll, even if accidental.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Crazycryodude posted:

It's like 95% actually good and just the occasional scene that reminds you it's definitely made by and for Americans, like there's just a handful here and there where people are cowering in fear of the KGB agents listening to every word or of getting sent to Siberia in 1986, at points they act like it's still 1952 to... make the USSR look bad, I guess (or I guess a more charitable interpretation is to fit what the audience expects of the USSR but it's still lovely).

I thought it was made by Brits?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Following in Reagan's footsteps

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

tankies are bad but tankettes are adorable

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Maduro clogged up all the drills with empanadas

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Assad is a bad man, imo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Gonna assume this is about Guaidó

https://www.twitter.com/NelsonSuniaga/status/906262384603525123

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

Guiado: THE PEOPLE OF VENEZUELA ARE WITHOUT POWER

*cut to Maduro, he is messing with a circuit breaker when he notices that some fuses are missing*

*cut to Jack Ryan*

(in all seriousness it is funny that Venezuela accuses the CIA of loving with them and then the neolibs all declare that to be patently absurd on its face but then the USA is also making a TV show about the CIA loving with Venezuela)

I like that it's about a potentially suspicious illegal arms shipment

Good chance it's just the CIA doing it's thing

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

USA... Bad???

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I was in the infantry during the surge op. You've seen war from one side. You didn't see it from the side of the Kurds in Iraq, who were protected from a second Anfal campaign for a decade through a no fly zone, which ended with Saddam hanging at the end of a rope on a day that is still an unofficial Kurdish holiday. You didn't see it from the perspective of Arabs in Iraq who were subject to unaccounted violence from US forces that unjustly targeted them, to the extent that they were willing to support loving AQI and bloodthirsty Shia militias in Iraq because they were so desperate. You don't know what it is to be under a boot, you've only worn it. And yet you sit there and judge people who are under one themselves, because you haven't experienced anything like what they experienced, and you refuse to acknowledge or listen to them. I don't give a gently caress about what Guiado, Bolton, or you have to say about what is going on there. I want to know what the protesters are saying. What the streets want, what they feel, and why. And that's the only information that will factor into determining what I want to see in Venezuela. In lieu of that, I'm not going to make poo poo up to serve my own ends, because I don't have any beyond human rights and dignity for Venezuelan people who as of right now, are being oppressed by a shithole government that refuses to cede power. Those are the people who need to be at the center of this discussion, not the US. Maybe if people had a coherent counter-strategy to the John Boltons of the world that wasn't rooted in some cold war era chessboard nonsense that sees those trapped in the middle as pawns on a board rather than people entitled to self-determination, those types of neocons would become obsolete. But as it stands, they're the only people offering solutions, albeit ridiculously lovely ones. If the "anti-imperialist" left ever offered anything other than the status quo, maybe they wouldn't lose the debate so goddamned always.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

wait that’s volkerball, that’s cheating the dude might actually be John Bolton

it's a quote from D&D

I thought about responding to a "Iraq invasion was good, actually" post in tyool 2019 with the Grover Classic but don't feel like getting another probe

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Be careful or the thread cop will roll in to yell at you for posting anything but Maduro Bad

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

in "the other thread" fnox seemed to completely reject the idea of sanctions having a material impact, and instead blamed Maduro (again) for forcing the US to impose sanctions by being a bad leader. idk for sure because he constantly talks out of both sides of his mouth and won't ever defend any actual specifics beyond vague notions like "international pressure"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

yeah even from an international perspective, the governments currently under leftist control are

uh

well

hmmmmmmm

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

WampaLord posted:

also we don't post here to post "behind your back" many of us tried to engage you earnestly in the bad thread in the bad forum and for our efforts we were rewarded with probations galore so the negative reinforcement finally worked and you have the thread basically to yourself now, congratulations

enjoy your safe space to yell at leftists who can't respond without getting a forums timeout

they're the ones responsible for all of Venezuela's woes. If only they'd shut the gently caress up so we can just INVADE INVADE INVADE!

IRAQ 2.0 BABY WOOOOO LET'S DROP SOME MOTHERFUCKING MISSILES I LOVE IMPERIALISM AWWW YEAH FIXING THE WORLD ONE BOMB AT A TIME!

read the op, op

any discussion of bad consequences or historical examples of what foreign intervention actually does is strictly verboten

e: there are unironic Afghanistan and Iraq invasion defenders over there lmao

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

jfood posted:

the first conceit in the supposed free and fair elections is that maduro and probably large portions of the psuv ain't allowed to run

not even the least bit shy about that one.

Just ban everyone ffs

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

isn't ortega kind of a piece of poo poo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Frijolero posted:

If you speak Spanish, this is the most concise and straightforward report and rebuttal of the "election fraud":

https://www.celag.org/sobre-la-oea-y-las-elecciones-en-bolivia/

To translate it and summarize:

- The transmission interruption after 80% is a feature.
- The OAS said that Morales having 60% support in the final ballots is "unsual." However, in the past similar locations have given him 84% of the vote.
- They conducted a model that resulted in Evo wining by 10.9% based on the fact that the not-yet-counted votes leaned heavily for Evo.
- The electoral system was itself implemented because of OAS recommendations.
- The OAS study on the alleged forged tallies was not conducted in a way that could have produced statistically relevant data.
- Finally, the electoral system includes thousands of citizen and party officials supervising and overseeing it. It is sound and the data is available online. This is not a system that could easily be manipulated.

hmmm sounds like proof that Evo has always stolen the elections!!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Warren is really really bad on foreign policy, one if the areas a president has enormous unitary powers

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

2009 me was very naive/dumb about "intervention, but the good liberal version"

Thanks for permanently and quickly disabusing me of that idea, Obama

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Can't wait for democracy, which Evo personally killed, to be restored!!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

There were a handful of (not a) coup supporters posting but the right wing fascists pulled the mask off right away so a lot of their "buhbuhbuh democracy!" excuses evaporated

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

is guaido right wing or just typical lovely neoliberal rear end in a top hat?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

idk I think there's a difference between say US Democrat-style neoliberalism and the rampant christo-fascism we're seeing take over Bolivia

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Addamere posted:

Oh? More Americans have died from lack of access to healthcare since the Bolivian coup than have Bolivians been killed by the coup forces in that time.

That one does it while being decorous and wearing a suit and gladhanding for the cameras while the other does it with a gun does not make one less evil.

different flavors of poo poo, sure. thought I made that pretty clear?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1197189270961840128

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

anyone who doesn't successfully implement global stateless communism is a neoliberal shill

anyway

https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1199323654808584192

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/jornalistacmprj/status/1199346288183037953

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Mister Bates posted:

also isn't it literally written into Interpol's charter that they're not supposed to be used as an instrument for settling internal political disputes and that they are supposed to refuse requests for notices when there is a clear political motivation for the request

Yes, iirc Russia has been scolded for abusing the system in this way before

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Pinera's low approval rating proves that he's no threat to democratic order and the right man for the job, unlike the dangerous Morales and AMLO who prop themselves up with being popular thanks to good governance

-WaPo, probably

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

But does that Strongman's populism play well in his supporters' strongholds, or just with the party loyalists he's packed government with??

The language US newspapers use to cover these other countries could very easily be applied to other "Western" countries and especially the untied states itself, but never is :thunk:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Extremely wikipedia based research:

The United Workers' Party is a centrist political party in Dominica. As of the 2009 general election, it is the only opposition party represented in the House of Assembly of Dominica, holding three of the twenty-one seats. Its past Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly is Hector John.

In the 2000 election, the UWP were defeated by the DLP, led by left-leaning Roosevelt P. "Rosie" Douglas; however Douglas died after only a few months in office.[14][28][29] He was replaced by Pierre Charles, who also died in office in January 2004.[14] Roosevelt Skerrit, also of the DLP, replaced Charles as Prime Minister, becoming the worlds youngest head of state.[14] Under Skerrit's leadership, the DLP won elections in May 2005 that gave the party 12 seats in the 21-member Parliament, to the UWP's 8 seats. An independent candidate affiliated with the DLP won a seat as well. Later, the independent candidate joined the government and one UWP member crossed the aisle, making the total 14 seats for the DLP and 7 for the UWP.[16]

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

an entire country of population 71k lmao

that's like a small city, but as a whole country

must be wild

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lmao that is still the provided definition, incredible

meanwhile in the US we have no less than three billionaires running for President and that's after another lovely billionaire dropped out already lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

for sure it's just hard for me to conceive of living in a metro area that small let alone an entire country (have lived in or near Chicago my whole life)

nothing at all wrong with being a tiny island nation just completely outside of my experience