Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

please coup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/5/26/18640654/lindsey-graham-trump-invade-venezuela-reagan-grenada

quote:

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), a close ally of President Donald Trump, suggested the president take a tough stance in dealing with the ongoing Venezuelan crisis: A US invasion similar to the one executed by Ronald Reagan in Grenada back in 1983.

“Trump said rightly, Maduro’s not the legitimate leader of Venezuela. The entire region supports the Trump approach, that Guaidó is the legitimate leader,” Graham said on Fox News Sunday. “I would do exactly what Reagan did. I would give Cuba the ultimatum to get out of Venezuela. If they don’t, I would let the Venezuelan military know, you’ve got to choose between democracy and Maduro. And if you choose Maduro and Cuba, we’re coming after you. This is in our backyard.”
luv that reheated cold war propaganda

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

solidarity with the humanitarian interventions of john bolton, elliot abrams, and donald trump

love me love me love me im a liberal

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

oh yah liberal superhero maddow deserves to be on this first page using mccarthyism to express solidarity with the most noble and high foreign policy goals of john bolton
https://twitter.com/maddowblog/status/1124485992247955456

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the US has historically offered lots of support to latin american regimes it supported in a coup

it's just that support tends to be training and material support for torture, riot control, counter-insurgency, death squads, and other forms of oppression and politically defending the regime in the united nations

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Corky Romanovsky posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-colombia-militia-idUSKCN1SY1A0

One-hundred and fifty (read:8) men are preparing to take up arms and liberate Venezuela, launching their assault from Columbia.
breaking news folks *hand goes to earpiece*

im just receiving word that maduro is about to imminently and indiscriminately massacre tens of thousands of civilians in a border town and has proclaimed he is ready to make the streets run red with the blood of his enemies and the international community is pleading for a humanitarian intervention to stem the bloodshed

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the stupidest thing about all of this is that americans believe the rest of the world is run by saturday morning cartoon villains lending credibility to these insane accusations with no plausible motive

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

1. unleash previously secret high tech supersonic mindray weapon on diplomatic staff
2. ???
3. ...cackle manically?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Yinlock posted:

but really that entire allegation sounds like a skinner/chalmers situation

dave why is this report empty, our entire operation was riding on this

uh it was....uh....brain damage

from what

sonic....guns???
may i hear it?

uh.............y-....yes?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

crew member: this sounds just like the cicadas from my home back in yuma
etymologist: no no, havana. it's a regional dialect.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

they will welcome us as liberators

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

imagine being a liberal being tricked by a bush into a horrible war then a decade later you get tricked by trump into a horrible war lmao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

liberal media like npr make it a point to silence the much larger protest crowds made up of largely brown people demonstrating popular support for maduro or against guaido

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

there were a bunch of insane vietnamese expat groups that kept grifting funding to overthrow the communist government and probably killed some local journalists when they started asking where the money was going
i wonder if venezuela really did cultivate a grift defense force like some posters theorized where they get some of their military command pretending to go along w/ john bolton and elliot abrams and poo poo for a big jeb moment

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

My personal fantasy is to some day read or listen to an NPR story that is critical of the State Department, instead of just repeating what some people at State said.

Of course this will never loving happen, but I still daydream about it regularly. Could you imagine how crazy the world would have to get for that to happen? It would be like opposite day in the upside down, truly a bizarre time.
no ethical journalism under capitalism

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol using woke identity politics to insist there is not a racial or ethnic component in venezuelan politics

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

we're bringing freedom and democracy, we'll be greeted as liberators, you must support saddam hussein, you must support a brutal dictator that gasses his own people, etc. all were definitely playing around with the humanitarian cards

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

NPR gives Guaido a platform to ask "Please bomb"
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1134199308146937863
the headline begins with "A Fugitive In His Own Country" and the first 2 paragraphs describe him working out of a high rise in caracas

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

he's been literally going around and holding public rallies

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

so thomas friedman has a master of philosophy in middle eastern studies and was cited as a scholar, culminating in "suck on this"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwFaSpca_3Q

is there a scholar with a phd in latin american studies similarly advocating bombing latin america into the dirt being cited?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

loving this vigorous and lively debate between the right and left

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jose posted:

This is a twitter thread about mismanagement of municipal water and poo poo middle managers only getting the job because of who they know but I liked this bit of it

https://twitter.com/LRonMexico/status/1137468492570091520
from what i remember the water in flint became lead poisoned because some dipshit nepotism-case manager ignored an engineer on saying they needed to add something to the water that would cost a tiny amount of money to coat the pipes to prevent lead poisoning

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

well I mean it depends on how liberals react to this Iran thing.

I haven’t looked but if they buy into this there is no hope for them.
maybe this time liberals wont want to bomb brown people i say for the 1488th time

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1139930212362330112

remember when Maddow was scaremongering over Russia possibly doing this to the US during the polar vortex?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Percelus posted:

the thing that really confounds me about the ramos "gotcha" is that i could go to any city in new jersey probably and get video of someone dumpster diving
you can go to any major city in america and find people living in abject poverty and destitution with literally no shelter

the only reason the US doesnt have permanent favelas is the police are ordered to routinely go there and club their heads

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

smdh hillary wouldve saved the venezuelan people with a massive humanitarian bombing campaign

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

fnox posted:

ok, evidence of what specifically are you talking about? because I can probably find it.

btw they did bang about it 24/7 it wasn't on every headline because tbh atrocities occurring abroad barely blip in the american news cycle unless they're of really absurd scales.
the US literally fabricates atrocities from whole cloth to justify war. the first gulf war was preceded by lies about iraqi troops massacring incubator babies in a prelude to genocide

the US literally bombed and couped libya on the absurdly flimsy justification that there was going to be atrocities, not that atrocities had happened during the civil war

"killing hope" is a tome full of the US fabricating claims to justify bombing and overthrowing governments all over latin america during the cold war

propaganda about the horrors of the maduro regime was blasted constantly into literally every american household with a tv, radio, or internet connection

no one should trust any of your analysis on US foreign policy and coup attempts. my suggestion to you is to read killing hope so you have an idea about how american foreign policy works

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.newsweek.com/venezuela-spy-chief-nicolas-maduro-coup-padrino-avengersendgame-1445701

quote:

Uncertain of the general's continued support, Figuera called Padrino the following day to shore up the planned coup, now just days away. But Figuera said Padrino was watching Avengers: Endgame and said he "didn't want to talk."

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lmao a random youtuber just randomly travelling with a camera does better journalism than the entire western media
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee0CHgjOOzw&t=767s

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

luv 2 ban anti-coup activists from youtube
https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1156800663029870596

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

536 posted:

I wonder why his youtube channel was banned? Oh wait its this dummy

https://twitter.com/ahmedkaballo/status/1096206372931293185?lang=en
lol of course you're a dumbass that thinks showing factual evidence challenging the mainstream narrative on venezuela is propaganda. have you ever considered why showing stocked grocers in wealthy opposition neighborhoods is problematic for the pro-coup supporters?

meanwhile maddow remains unbanned after insisting trump getting bored of a failed coup is evidence of a trump-putin conspiracy to do whatever putin wants

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you could have searched for something that is problematic and full of bias with no evidence, but you had to choose simply pointing a camera at wealthy neighborhoods in venezuela as your hill to die on for why they should get banned from youtube lmao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's really simple

pro-coup narratives funded by the government (e.g. the bbc) or private corporations (e.g. msnbc) are okay

anti-coup narratives should be banned from social media

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i'd have to take back my criticisms if you were also calling for banning cnn, msnbc, the bbc, etc. from social media so that your arguments are consistent, but i suspect this is not your position

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

536 posted:

You don't understand how the anti maduro argument of "the poor people are starving and can't afford food" is insincerely argued by this reporter when he goes to a rich neighbourhood grocery and he in turn claims there isn't a hunger crisis?
he literally says he's not saying there aren't food shortages in the beginning of the tiny 15 second clip you linked in the hopes that people like you wouldn't completely miss the point

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

536 posted:

People have been starving and mass emigrating for years because of the USA?
obama started the sanctions in 2014

loving with countries and blockading them economically and trying to induce famines and mass strife is part of american foreign policy to install friendly puppet governments throughout latin america

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

showing that opposition wealthy neighborhoods are doing fine and have stocked grocers is not an attempt to say there is no food or economic crisis in venezuela.

what is being demonstrated is that the food crisis is selective and not universal, most of venezuela's economy is privatized, venezuela has very large inequality, and the wealthy who want to coup maduro for their own interests are living comfortably.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

in case you're unaware, the wealthy strata of latin america has a long history of colluding with the US and the dictators and puppets they back to support their own interests and murder, torture, and oppress the non-wealthy

sitting back in material comfort while the US and death squads run around causing chaos and misery to try to install a puppet government or get the masses so immiserated they overthrow the current government has precedent

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

like read literally any of the latin american chapters in killing hope or any book about US imperialism in latin america instead of supporting the US puppet and narrative backed by donald trump, elliot abrams, and loving john bolton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1157698378463088640