Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Where's it at people? I'm somekindofguy, and as is the usual I'm starting up the discussion for the 2019 season of America's Got Talent.

What is this?
Basically another talent show in the wasteland of primetime TV. But there's the chance you get something other than singers and dancers along the way. Hell, last year was won by Magician Shin Lim. You'll get singers with sob stories, yes, but you will also get magic, comedy, danger, acrobatics and a lot of stuff in between. And hey, if an act you like doesn't get through, feel free to :qq: here about it.

What's new this season?
Well, we have a fairly significant lineup change this year, with two new female judges and a brand new host.

Joining everyone's favorite germophobic comedian Howie Mandel and reality TV kingmaker Simon Cowell are:
-Dancing with the Stars veteran Juliane Hough
-Actress and activist Gabrielle Union
-And all around killer Terry Crews as host

Along with various guest judges throughout the season.

Where can I catch this?
The first episode of the auditions airs tonight on NBC, 8 PM Eastern. Don't worry if you miss it though, as NBC tends to put clips on via Youtube the next morning, letting you catch the highlights without all the fluff.

Hope you enjoy, and pray for less singers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Watching it now. Meh that female comedian Jackie did some pretty mediocre observational comedy but I guess people loved her so what do I know

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Wow this thread is dead

Violin kid got a golden buzzer? Eh I dunno he’s cute and all but he’s not izthak perlman

Also can we agree that terry crews is leaps and bounds better than Tyra?

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Yeah sorry,been busy with other things. Been a lot of the usual it seems. Though I zuppose we have Judge Cuts to look forward to in two weeks.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Final auditions on tonight, next week begins Judge Cuts to whittle down acts for the final 36.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
There have been a few decent acts but those golden buzzer picks are awful...almost all singers, and violin kid

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
First round of the judge cuts is on, with Brad Paisely as a guest. Expect a singer to get through.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I know musicians aren't popular on here but I like Swedish guitarist dude.

I'm glad the mentalists got kicked off. It's probably from something biased, but I hate when, in a group of 2 mentalists, one puts on a pair of glasses with the intent of reading some words or looking at a picture and the other mentalist with a blindfold on can suddenly see what his or her partner is pointing their glasses at. Stuff like that. Fuckit. Who knows what magician's trick they're using is but with today's technology that, not just what's available to magicians but what's available to regular consumers , the magic in this type of act is completely gone.

Little girl who does folk guitar with some mid-song rapping. Eh. It's good the first few times. She covers subjects most everyone can relate to. She has to be able to evolve that song formula and so far it's the same both times. If she keeps doing it she's a goner.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Go Kevin. Whoops you got cut. Good job though dude

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I missed the end, did the acrobatic handsome men and their dad get thru?

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
I love this show but do they have to cut to judge/audience reactions 30 times an act? Jesus. Also, bring back Tyra. We are back to Nick-Cannon-level of "Whoa! Now that's talent!" Or "They're juggling!" backstage reactions from Terry.

There, that's off my chest. I enjoyed Robert Finley (the blind vet who sang his original the last week of auditions). Other than that, boo to singers.

The Nastier Nate posted:

I missed the end, did the acrobatic handsome men and their dad get thru?

Yes.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Secks posted:

Also, bring back Tyra.

No

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

the only thing I liked from tyra was her tits when she showed em. as for doing her actual job she was definitely a downgrade

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
Hey, if it cuts back on the stupid "host comes out and does a wacky dance with a contestant" stuff, I'm all for it.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Glad to see we got some activity. Reminder that round 2 of Judge Cuts is coming shortly, featuring Dwayne Wade as the guest.

I'm just hoping he doesn't put through another musical act, but who am I kidding.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Judge Cuts 3 is on with Ellie Kemper as guest judge.

I clapped, I clapped when the singer sung!

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Halfway through this episode, and I guess Sexy Xenomorph Acrobatics are my pick for best of the night so far?

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I can only sigh as another kid singer gets through. This is the usual I know, but the number of kid GBs is a little disheartening.

Least we got a couple dancing acts I guess.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 7, 2019

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

somekindofguy posted:

I can only sigh as another kid singer gets through. This is the usual I know, but the number of kid GBs is a little disheartening.

Least we got a couple dancing acts I guess.

hey it's been a whole

*checks notes

2 years since we had a kid singer win!

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
First live show is in in about 15 minutes! Time to actually support the acts you really want to see go through.

Performing tonight:

Alex Dowis
Blacklight Painter

Ansley Burns
Singer

Bir Khalsa
Danger Group

Carmen Carter
Singer

Emerald Belles
Drill Dance Team

GFORCE
Vocal Group

Greg Morton
Impressionist

Kodi Lee
Singer and Pianist

Luke Islam
Singer

Messoudi Brothers
Acrobatic Trio

Sophie Pecora
Singer and Guitarist

Voices of Service
Vocal Group

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 14, 2019

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

lol so i guess the fat chick comedian ended up to be a really lovely prop comic? that or she mistook what the audience enjoyed the most out from her first performance

she'd probably be better if she was a magician and was able to pull like 20 things out of her tits

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Bir Khalsa was robbed. That is all.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Also god loving dammit, more kid singers. Least a golden buzzer got eliminated.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

somekindofguy posted:

Bir Khalsa was robbed. That is all.

That act was loving insane and should have sent them straight through, bypassing any votes. :argh:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I'm surprised Kodi Lee hasn't gone as viral as I was expecting; he sounded like he had everything to tug at America's heartstrings all summer. I'm still picking him to make a deep run because he's a singer.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

This episode has been an amazing disaster almost entirely across the board. drat you, Armless Comedian, coming in and ruining a night full of crap with a good performance!

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I know right? And double drat V Unbeatable for one hell of a performance!

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Simon, to the foot fetish knife act: "That was the worst live act I've ever seen."

The Sentimentalists: "Hold my cannoli..."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Holy gently caress Howie Mandel is the most obnoxious human being alive

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Who's ready for some more trash fires tonight?

Dont gently caress up Eric!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
These guys win it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

why is a tambourine dipshit in the quarterfinals? did howie do this?

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

why is a tambourine dipshit in the quarterfinals? did howie do this?

That one's on all the judges.

Semis next week. Anyone excited for any particular acts?

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Semis are on. Who will Ansley rob of a spot this time?

Edit: Greg honey, bless your heart.

ALSO: YA hosed UP ERIC

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Quick, someone Photoshop an "Oops, All Berries!" cereal box to be about child acts.

(Unless Toots from Clone High wins the Dunkin save.)

edit: lol at Simon just saying "the youth choir!" and not even bothering to gently caress the name up like the rest of the judges.

A Big Dark Yak fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 5, 2019