Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I am pretty tempted, the casual group content is some of my fondest mmo memories, pretty much any archetype comp worked and you were still somewhat self sufficient if you had the right inspos. Just absolutely demolishing a building full of goons felt great.

My forcefield / elec defender being able to do content despite being a healer with no way to heal is fond memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
ooooh

quote:

*Immobilize Powers in Controller and Dominator primary power sets should no longer make their targets immune to KnockUp. KnockBack will be converted to KnockDown. This helps sets like Ice and Earth, as their AOE Immobilize power will no longer make their AOE Knockback power useless.

*Increased the reward for completing a Morality Mission to 40 Reward Merits. Originally this was lowered from 50 to 20 based on datamined times it took to receive a new Morality Mission after completing one, but that time was skewed by the above bug allowing players to run Morality Missions back to back.

*Death From Below will now gradually grant less Experience Points after level 10. The effect is based on the experience points required for each level, so it has a built-in curve that starts with a very minor decrease and ramps up until level 20. Please see GM Jimmy's post below for more details on this change.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,3220.0.html

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hakarne posted:

Does anyone have that tweak to extend the view distance? Someone posted it in the last thread. I've been noticing the pop in more and I'd like to just load the whole zone or w/e on my beastly modern rig. :smug:

/vis_scale 10

Might go up to 20

Beard Collector
Sep 2, 2004
Skallet8732's pain brings me the pleasure of demon cock.

OgNar posted:

ooooh

*Immobilize Powers in Controller and Dominator primary power sets should no longer make their targets immune to KnockUp. KnockBack will be converted to KnockDown. This helps sets like Ice and Earth, as their AOE Immobilize power will no longer make their AOE Knockback power useless.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,3220.0.html

Bonfire with KB -> KD IO + fire cages is insanely good now. The control from bonfire + immobilization from fire cages + containment from fire cages all at once is nuts. Only done proof of concept on small packs of mobs but it feels like a great buff.

(Yes, I know without the IO you'd still have some control. With the IO you don't have to worry about immobilize fading and them getting pushed out and when more people run into your fire).

To make incredibly clear what I am saying this patch does:

Before, if you casted KB -> KD IO Bonfire and fire cages on the same target you would get:
1. Immobilation from fire cages
2. Containment from said immobilization
3. Damage from Bonfire

After:
1. Immobilization from fire cages
2. Containment from said immobilization
3. Damage from Bonfire
4. Knockdown from Bonfire (which they can't leave, because they are immobilized).

Beard Collector fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 30, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Everslain posted:

As a returning player to Homecoming I think you'll appreciate the free travel powers obtainable at level 1 (ninja/beast run and a jump pack), earlier unlocked travel powers, baseline stamina on all characters, plus a bunch of other quality of life changes.

Travel Power changes and Inherant Fitness were from Live.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

kumba posted:

I hope they tweak some of the other stuff, like DiB, upwards to actually encourage it since I see almost no one running it. Everyone just runs Posi 1 at that point but I'd like some variety!

DiB's biggest problem is how bland it is, IMO. It somehow has less going on than DFB or Posi and the final double AV encounter feels slightly overtuned. (Would probably be fine if the two shivans spawned with 50% max HP rather than just 50% HP, so struggling teams aren't hosed over when they regen back up to full.)

Mesadoram posted:

Dual Swords - Bio stalker is super fun. Am I missing something, or do you take basically all of the Bio moves? They all seem super useful.

I'm possibly unaware of some secret optimization tricks, but generally speaking the newest powersets have zero skippable (or at least out and out bad) powers for better or worse.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 30, 2019

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I only played this a little way back when, and mostly that was the character creator. I'm getting back into it and dragged a few of my friends as well. And I have no idea what I'm doing.

When/where do I get recipes?
How should I be doing my enhancements?
Where are the instances/dungeons/that sewer thing people keep talking about?
Should I do the old game or going rogue?
Does it matter what your Origin is?

Also I made this and I'm pleased

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

World Famous W posted:

I only played this a little way back when, and mostly that was the character creator. I'm getting back into it and dragged a few of my friends as well. And I have no idea what I'm doing.

When/where do I get recipes?
How should I be doing my enhancements?
Where are the instances/dungeons/that sewer thing people keep talking about?
Should I do the old game or going rogue?
Does it matter what your Origin is?

Also I made this and I'm pleased

Recipes are gotten through drops during gameplay or bought on the Auction House /AH in chat.
Many times you can just use 1 accuracy, 3 dmg, 1 endurance reduction (depending on how much it uses), 1 recharge(depending on its recharge or if you have hasten).
this is all relative to the power though.
The first is Death From Below (DFB) which you can access through the LFG tab above chat or ask in goonsquad /chanjoin goonsquad
I'll leave the other instances for others to list
I prefer old game hero/villain. You will find way more people there, mostly on hero. try the new stuff if you want more story line.
Origin does not matter one bit

Edit: I actually recommend running DFB a few times as it gives a choice of buffs each time +recovery, +accuracy, +defense and +damage which will last you through level 21 or 22.
Also be sure and pick up some free enhancements from the P2W vendor (on your map in 1st zone) that you dont outlevel.
P2W vendor also has a ton of other free stuff like attacks and a Ninja Run travel.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 30, 2019

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Thanks for the info and thanks for your avatar of reminding me of Twice Upon a Time. Going to try to track it down and watch it

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Super Science Friends!

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Do the buffs in DFB stack? A pubbie in chat said they did. Like, multiple damage buffs will stack up. I was planning to create a new character tonight and try it out, but maybe the goon hivemind knows the answer already?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

World Famous W posted:

Thanks for the info and thanks for your avatar of reminding me of Twice Upon a Time. Going to try to track it down and watch it

Yeah good luck finding it. Too old and obscure. Maybe a crappy copy on youtube though.

Variable Haircut posted:

Do the buffs in DFB stack? A pubbie in chat said they did. Like, multiple damage buffs will stack up. I was planning to create a new character tonight and try it out, but maybe the goon hivemind knows the answer already?
I have multiple alts with at least 2 of the buffs.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

World Famous W posted:

Warner Archives released it just last September!

https://www.amazon.com/Twice-Upon-Time-John-Korty/dp/B014Q67MJU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Variable Haircut posted:

You can get all four rewards, but you get nothing from picking duplicates.

Edited: well, almost nothing. I believe they expire after a long amount of time in game, and you can reset the timer? Usually they'll just drop at 22 though.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 30, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
bury me under aegia leaves

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Is the gameplay actually fun or will coming back tarnish my rose tinted memories of running through The Hollows with whatever alt I had made that week.

From the perspective of someone who didn't really play much when the game was originally out: yes, the gameplay is extremely fun. I mean it's still an MMO so if you don't like MMO combat anymore that might be a thing, but the variety of power sets and builds and the 8-player team stuff has been an absolute blast. I don't even really have the nostalgia to color my perceptions. It's just a real fun game.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I still think Kinetic Melee has some serious Real rear end Potential with the second wave of ATO sets. On a Stalker you're looking at pretty insane synergy with the Assassin's Strike proccing Hide for a guaranteed follow up crit, the tier 9 recharging Build Up on a crit, and the second Stalker proc recharging Build Up in whatever other power you wanna throw that in.

Put a Gaussian's proc in Build Up and reap the rewards of that double Build Up life.

You could do something similar for a Scrapper as well, keeping Power Siphon and the stacking damage buff going constantly, but I dunno if that makes up for the loss of Assassin's Strike.

kinetic stalker is the only stalker

its so much fun you just pop in and out of stealth doing sick kung fu moves and making chumps eat dirt while they all act like your too fast to see or w/e

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

/vis_scale 10

Might go up to 20

Awesome, thanks!

nerox
May 20, 2001
I decided to make a knock-off copy of Wolverine like if you bought one of those terrible Chinese toys you get in the dollar store.

If anyone has any tips for a better character description, let me know.

Machinegun Arm!
Oct 22, 2008

It's been a ruff day
I never got into IOs on live, they were added as I was getting out of the game and they seemed too complicated. Now, though, they're a part of the game at the same time that I'm getting into it, so I'm interested in playing with them. They are, however, still really complicated and my brain has gotten dumber with age. Plus, I have no inf to play with.

Looking at the boards, there's plenty of advice on how to make an absurdly powerful end game character, but nothing that I can find about budget building. Are there less desired/expensive IO sets that are worth messing with? And if so, what are they? Basically, if anyone has advice for IO slotting on the cheap I'd be thrilled to read it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

John Murdoch posted:

I'm possibly unaware of some secret optimization tricks, but generally speaking the newest powersets have zero skippable (or at least out and out bad) powers for better or worse.

That is good to know, thank you. I thought I was crazy when making the build that I took everything.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

nerox posted:

If anyone has any tips for a better character description, let me know.

Well, if you want to call back to the classic, it should wind up being the origin story of a completely different super hero. Green Lantern, maybe?

Also it should borrow heavily from the storytelling traditions of whatever country made it. Mention his Chi Meridian Chakras getting opened, or that he was the fifteenth son of Vishnu who was later shot in an alley, or something.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Machinegun Arm! posted:

I never got into IOs on live, they were added as I was getting out of the game and they seemed too complicated. Now, though, they're a part of the game at the same time that I'm getting into it, so I'm interested in playing with them. They are, however, still really complicated and my brain has gotten dumber with age. Plus, I have no inf to play with.

Looking at the boards, there's plenty of advice on how to make an absurdly powerful end game character, but nothing that I can find about budget building. Are there less desired/expensive IO sets that are worth messing with? And if so, what are they? Basically, if anyone has advice for IO slotting on the cheap I'd be thrilled to read it.

Some quick and dirty rules of thumb:

-barring maybe some very specific unique IOs, you do not need purple or PvP IOs
-Incarnate powers, especially the alpha slot, costs no inf and can supplement or cover things that you would otherwise gear your set bonuses toward. Spiritual specifically gives recharge which is notably desirable on many builds and can be the centerpiece of expensive set bonuses, such as the luck of the gambler unique.
-bid for recipes you need well in advance for a few million below the "buy it now" price and you can save a lot of money

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Honestly I like the idea of "wizard gives up Magic for fancy gadgets from catalogue" a lot more than I do the idea of playing a robot MM. But robots and a beam rifle make that concept more real than anything else I can think of.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Honestly I like the idea of "wizard gives up Magic for fancy gadgets from catalogue" a lot more than I do the idea of playing a robot MM. But robots and a beam rifle make that concept more real than anything else I can think of.

recommend immediately rerolling out of FF, unless your intention is to fall asleep in combat

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Bots / Traps may fit the catalog of doodads concept better and gives you more active things to do other than watch Netflix while your unhittable robots clear the warehouse for you. And you even still get a force field generator!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Songbearer posted:

bury me under aegia leaves

Time to go run Whirlwind in the GAHBAGE

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
as a protip to new players:

do not play bot/ff

you will be very powerful and so so bored

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
elec/shield stalker is loving hilarious

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

spectralent posted:

do not play bot/ff

Well great. Now I need to come up with a pun name for a Bots/FF Mastermind. Thanks, jerk. :mad:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gynovore posted:

Savage Melee: Eh. Feels like Claws with a coat of paint.

Savage Melee is loving crazy on a Brute if you've got a set that gives you extra +recovery. I solo street swept my SM/Bio from 20-22 in less time than it took me to IO out at 22. Those DoTs are no joke.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Maggy posted:

elec/shield stalker is loving hilarious

I started one but I'm to distracted by other builds to level it yet. Three "jump" AoE attacks is a pretty strong selling point though.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Thundarr posted:

I started one but I'm to distracted by other builds to level it yet. Three "jump" AoE attacks is a pretty strong selling point though.

I had that on live and while it sounds good in theory, in practice it's actually :krad:

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

my only disappointment is that Spring Attack from leaping doesn't cause the 8x "WHAM" SFX that Shield Charge does

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kheldarn posted:

Well great. Now I need to come up with a pun name for a Bots/FF Mastermind. Thanks, jerk. :mad:

There's nothing wrong with re-using the name, that name is baller and still works.

Just that this mage went a lot more in on the tech. Maybe take Sorcery pool as a follow-up.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

spectralent posted:

do not play bot/ff

Oh no, I did bots/time, will I be too bored to enjoy the game?

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Nehru the Damaja posted:

should've been Sharper iMage

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Savage Melee is loving crazy on a Brute if you've got a set that gives you extra +recovery. I solo street swept my SM/Bio from 20-22 in less time than it took me to IO out at 22. Those DoTs are no joke.

It is nuts. I got lucky on Superpack draws and got four of the Unrelenting Fury set including the Rech/Chance for -Def one. Plopped them right down on my Savage/Rad and watched mobs melt.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

boxen posted:

Oh no, I did bots/time, will I be too bored to enjoy the game?

no, time is busy as poo poo. you will be playing time defender while your bots do the actual damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I'm thinking of a Defender, Rad is traditionally strong and seems moreso with Defender numbers; what about secondaries though? Should I just eschew damaging sets and go for something with powerful riders like Dark? (I think I could entirely tank an enemy's tohit with Rad's toggle and Dark...)