Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Brave New World posted:

I'm in hard disagreement with this. CO's character creation and CoX's seem to perfectly overlap with each other's strengths and weaknesses. There are things I want to do in each game that I can't, but can do perfectly in the other. Overall, CoX's is easier to work with, but CO's has more potential variety(especially with faces).

You could do some good things with CO's faces if you were prepared to put time and effort in, but otherwise they'd just come out looking weird. CoX's preset faces aren't great but it's easier to feel like your character has a distinct face.

Roach Warehouse posted:

I mostly miss the Champions creator’s ability to have arm/hip/leg accessories.

The number of characters who I’ve wanted to strap a knife to their thigh or have a holster, then remembered I can’t.

And also to have asymmetry in those arms, hips and legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
i really like this game because i never played it when it was live and now ive played for two weeks and i'm one of 24 people with The Really Hard Way badge

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
So if force field is good for MMs, would it also be good for a beam rifle corrupter? Or are there better secondaries?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Is there any way to speed up the casting animation of abilities or only the recharge time of them

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
Thinking about making a dual blades brute after enjoying savage melee. What are the attacks to bother with while ignoring the combo system? Assuming based on numbers power, ablating, sweeping strike, and maybe one thousand cuts since it looks cool.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

I really want new Blaster primary sets based on two things from other ATs:
  • The animal-related blasts Masterminds get with the Beasts set, like throwing a swarm of bugs or siccing a flock of ravens on enemies. I loving love that raven animation.
  • The shuriken throws in the Dominator's Martial Assault secondary set. Those animations own and I want a ninja-focused Blaster set that uses them.

It drives me a little crazy because savage attacks in every class that uses them still have the same stack mechanic, but blaster is far and away the best class to make use of it barring the existing savage melee classes. They'd certainly get more mileage out of it than putting it on a dominator secondary set.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

You could do some good things with CO's faces if you were prepared to put time and effort in, but otherwise they'd just come out looking weird. CoX's preset faces aren't great but it's easier to feel like your character has a distinct face.

people REALLY latch onto the face thing, to the point where I'd have to address it as a dev even if I didn't see it myself

that said, I think you could fix most of my problems with Assault Rifle if you made all the moves have normal hands-based cast animations. you know, like an Iron Man type setup. or you could be Gun Elemental or Constantly Missed By Snipers

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

boxen posted:

Oh no, I did bots/time, will I be too bored to enjoy the game?

Someone else beat me to it but you're good with time! The issue with FF is most of it's really good powers are passive buffs you toggle or apply once every four minutes, and the powers that actually involve clicking on mans are all very bad and some of them straight up don't work on the enemies you'd want to use them on (because they're too powerful for the effect). And the really good powers are very good to the point where your bots will have enough defence to put most enemies at the accuracy floor, further rendering them unnecessary, because they'll never hit them.

HPanda posted:

Masterminds are a fantastic chill out class, though. But yeah, they’re not really the best for any particular role, but they’re drat good at most things depending on the power sets. Loved my bots/dark back on live.

I’ve tried beast/time, but it’s not especially clicking for me so far. Thinking of trying a different combo soon. Maybe mercenaries or thugs.

The niche MMs fill is being able to solo hard content, in some cases to the point of being able to take AVs and GMs, with fairly routine building. They're not as much of a blender as a kitted out brute, it's fair to say, but most MMs are easily capable of handling all of those "you might want a friend" missions even on fairly high difficulty.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 31, 2019

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I think that overall CO's character creator is by far the more flexible of the two, especially given the kind of asymmetrical dysmorphic monstrosities you can create.

That said, that's pretty much all I ever felt CO had going for it. I'd spend hours mucking about in the creator, but never actually feel like playing the game for very much afterwards. Reminded me a lot of Spore in that regard.

I absolutely hate some of CoH's character creator quirks. And good luck if you want anything that isn't strictly human-shaped standing akimbo or want to design a woman. But at least I actually have fun playing the drat game when I'm done futzing about with the creator.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I'm wanting to make a TW/Fire character but can't decide between scrapper or brute. Does TW favor one more than the other or should I just toss a coin?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

LordSaturn posted:

people REALLY latch onto the face thing, to the point where I'd have to address it as a dev even if I didn't see it myself

that said, I think you could fix most of my problems with Assault Rifle if you made all the moves have normal hands-based cast animations. you know, like an Iron Man type setup. or you could be Gun Elemental or Constantly Missed By Snipers

Yeah, it feels like the big thing CoX is missing is a CO-esque Power Armor powerset.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I absolutely hate some of CoH's character creator quirks. And good luck if you want anything that isn't strictly human-shaped standing akimbo or want to design a woman. But at least I actually have fun playing the drat game when I'm done futzing about with the creator.

CoX hair not being unisex is really poor, and it bugs me that there's a ton of headpieces/hats that leave you bald even if you could technically put hair with them. I'd love to see an update that fiddled with all of these things. I had an idea with, I think, the Imperial Defence hat but I didn't want the character to be bald.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

clone on the phone posted:

I'm wanting to make a TW/Fire character but can't decide between scrapper or brute. Does TW favor one more than the other or should I just toss a coin?

Fire for scrappers = lots of runner

I've done both version and canned the scrapper version because of runners.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Yeah, it feels like the big thing CoX is missing is a CO-esque Power Armor powerset.

CO also had like, generic Sorcery powers too. I forget if they ever had staffs or wands or anything, but I feel like that's a big omission in CoH.

Getting friends to come try CoH who never did before has been a lot of fun, but it's actually pretty eye-opening when they ask if they can make something like characters they like and there's no good option. Meanwhile, take Kinetics: high-concept as gently caress, crazy good, but I try to think of someone who actually has that ability and I've got like... Sebastian Shaw? Sorta? Not really? And that's about it. And then a lot of really "broad use" powers like Assault Rifle or Broadsword or whatever end up being outclassed.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I usually just stretch Kinetics out for any concept that can like, bestow power or boons upon others like a wise sage or a tech doctor something because "controls friction and inertia" is an insanely specific and narrow powerset

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Being able to customize colors also helps to fudge things a bit conceptually.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

CO also had like, generic Sorcery powers too. I forget if they ever had staffs or wands or anything, but I feel like that's a big omission in CoH.

Getting friends to come try CoH who never did before has been a lot of fun, but it's actually pretty eye-opening when they ask if they can make something like characters they like and there's no good option. Meanwhile, take Kinetics: high-concept as gently caress, crazy good, but I try to think of someone who actually has that ability and I've got like... Sebastian Shaw? Sorta? Not really? And that's about it. And then a lot of really "broad use" powers like Assault Rifle or Broadsword or whatever end up being outclassed.

Magery of any sort. Speed up and slow down, especially since Super Speed itself is a very small powerset. Transferring speed to others, taking it away.

You can make a lot of mage-like characters, really. Though sometimes you'll have to go around the houses a bit. I'm trying to make Balrogs. It's harder than you think. Fire and shadow. But they're also known weapon users(Sword, Axes, Titan Weapon), which means the other half must be fire(A Balrog without flame isn't much of a Balrog), and there's precious little access to shadow after your primary and secondary outside of Soul Mastery, and the only whip is Mastermind(Which is not exactly bad, your Balrog has his followers...). You know? Sometimes you compromise, and sometimes you go with weird or extrapolations.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 31, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So my CD's were destroyed along with everything else I own in a fire. Guessing that means i'm SOL? Or did I miss something in the OP about not needing the CD's or keys?

Also, I remember some of the most bullshit farming abilities were the ones that increased movement speed and reduced cast time. I remember rolling in a raid with like 3 people with Kinetics or whatever it was and it was like watching a light show with all the crazy poo poo popping off.

Edit: Clarification, it was not just a light show. It was a light show while people spammed the poo poo out of melee powers, knock ups, and everything else. We're talking, just, a super-speed beat down on all fronts. Some of the powers were just amazing when you thought out how to use them like that. :allears:

Also, Masterminds may have been subpar compared to some other builds but drat was it fun to just tear poo poo up with a horde of mooks. MMO's don't let you roll around with that many pets any more. Never mind just run a straight up army of mooks like that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 31, 2019

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Archonex posted:

So my CD's were destroyed along with everything else I own in a fire. Guessing that means i'm SOL? Or did I miss something in the OP about not needing the CD's or keys?

You do not need the CDs or keys. Tequila/IslandRum will download everything you need.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Daztek posted:

You do not need the CDs or keys. Tequila/IslandRum will download everything you need.

Holy poo poo. Well, i'm definitely getting in on this. Between this and Tabula Rasa i've been hoping someone managed to snatch the source code for both from NCSoft since they were both shut down.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

khy posted:

If anyone's playing on Homecoming and wants an updated version of Pine's, I have been updating it and posting it over on their forums.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,3093.0.html

Since I assume the Goon Server runs i24, it won't be accurate for that in terms of powerset proliferation.

Oh good, it fixed the issue where the levels you get powers at were wrong for Stalker Rad Armor. And you're right that it won't really work with old builds, but remaking them should be simple enough.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The CD timers are such an amazing addition. I never realized how short the CD timer for the Warshade Dwarf buff was.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

The CD timers are such an amazing addition. I never realized how short the CD timer for the Warshade Dwarf buff was.

Definitely a major quality of life improvement for powers like self heals that can make or break what you're jumping into for sure.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Fire for scrappers = lots of runner

I've done both version and canned the scrapper version because of runners.

What about the TW part?

e: Actually while I'm asking, how are sword / mace / axe? I need some kind of martial weapon for the theme i'm going with.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 31, 2019

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

What about the TW part?

e: Actually while I'm asking, how are sword / mace / axe? I need some kind of martial weapon for the theme i'm going with.

I heard Mace is pretty solid, but I am talking from memory so take it with a grain of salt.

Kodilynn posted:

Definitely a major quality of life improvement for powers like self heals that can make or break what you're jumping into for sure.

It makes the timing of pulls and popping cool downs soooooo much easier. I feel like if a lot of players use this there might be a nice boost in teams overall dps. I could just be dreaming though...

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Songbearer posted:

Only very tangentally related but Freedom Force is on sale in GoG (and its sequel!) for the ridiculously low price of £1.19. It's a cornball as all hell superhero tactical RPG with a limited yet cool hero creation system where you choose a model and make your powers from the ground up if you like. Figured there'd be some fans in this topic because man was I excited to see this again.

Thanks for reminding me this exists, enjoyed the original back in the day and never played the sequel. It's kind of surprising to me that superheros as a genre is so neglected in videogames (at least on PC). Given the amount of freedom the concept allows, the huge interest in hero movies and TV shows, and the built-in power fantasy fulfillment that make gaming fun in the first place, it seems like a no brainer.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Actually while I'm asking, how are sword / mace / axe? I need some kind of martial weapon for the theme i'm going with.

Axe and Mace are both extremely average due to their secondaries only being a mild crowd control effect. Sword is very, very good, since its secondary effect (-Def) is consistently useful, and it gets a power that can give you 30% Melee/Lethal defense for free. It's great when combined with a strong healing or resist secondary.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Vermain posted:

Axe and Mace are both extremely average due to their secondaries only being a mild crowd control effect. Sword is very, very good, since its secondary effect (-Def) is consistently useful, and it gets a power that can give you 30% Melee/Lethal defense for free. It's great when combined with a strong healing or resist secondary.

Yea this isn't true. Mace is one of the hardest hitting sets in the game. Axe didn't get the same love so its middle to lower pack. If you need parry for defense there are quite a few sets that have that.
A few pages back Tommy posted a quick review of melee sets for scrapper and brutes.
Stalkers are a bit different since Assassins strike replaces some attacks so some sets move up or down.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh, I don't remember where I'd heard that Broad Sword was bad. Maybe people just said it didn't "feel" as good as Katana or something?

Also, I'd be interested in similar reviews of blaster sets (both for blasters and defenders/corruptors) and defender/corruptor support sets. It seems to be generally agreed that Kinetics, Time Manipulation, and Dark Miasma are all fantastic, but I'd love to learn more about the other sets from someone with more experience.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Harrow posted:

Huh, I don't remember where I'd heard that Broad Sword was bad. Maybe people just said it didn't "feel" as good as Katana or something?

broadsword is very similar to katana but the swings are slightly slower. it's really not the sort of disparity you'd ever notice in practice unless you level a sword character and a katana character simultaneously

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ClassH posted:

Yea this isn't true. Mace is one of the hardest hitting sets in the game.

That's fair. I simply don't value raw damage as highly as utility, especially the utility of Parry and the ability to slot Achilles' Heel. You can get the same defense with Katana (which is functionally the same as Broadsword) and superior defense with Titan Weapons, but if you're looking solely at Sword/Mace/Axe, I'd take Sword every time.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I think my biggest hangup with a lot of sets is that I don't like just doing one damage type, especially smashing or lethal. I'm a fan of the multiple damage types to help smooth things out a bit, though I guess that also means that some enemies get an extra defense check.

One way that they could have improved things for customization and getting people over the hangup of using lethal damage sets could have been some customization of damage types. Like after doing a mission set for the midnighters, getting the ability to convert some percentage of damage to fire, for example. It'd be a reasonable buff since it could let people switch up damage types depending on what they're fighting, and would be something they would have to earn in-game, but wouldn't be overly powerful since the base numbers stay the same. I guess it'd be sort of like pistols now, but without the different secondary effects.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

What about the TW part?

If TW doesn't gib it, it will be running the hell away after it gets up.

As for swords? Dual Blades, Katana, then....broad sword. Both DB and Kat are really really good numerically. BS is a pretty poor performer number wise.

War Mace is just bonkers numerically.

Axe is middling. Performs better than BS (not a high bar) but noticeably less performing than War Mace (even without numerical measurements).

TW
-
DB
Kat
WM
-
BA
-
-
-
BS
Staff Fighting (this is actually good on a stalker)

*You said martial so I included Staff.

ClassH posted:

Yea this isn't true. Mace is one of the hardest hitting sets in the game. Axe didn't get the same love so its middle to lower pack. If you need parry for defense there are quite a few sets that have that.
A few pages back Tommy posted a quick review of melee sets for scrapper and brutes.
Stalkers are a bit different since Assassins strike replaces some attacks so some sets move up or down.

<3

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 31, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

spectralent posted:

Someone else beat me to it but you're good with time! The issue with FF is most of it's really good powers are passive buffs you toggle or apply once every four minutes, and the powers that actually involve clicking on mans are all very bad and some of them straight up don't work on the enemies you'd want to use them on (because they're too powerful for the effect). And the really good powers are very good to the point where your bots will have enough defence to put most enemies at the accuracy floor, further rendering them unnecessary, because they'll never hit them.

Lies! Force Bolt might very well be the most low-key potent power in the game because it's on a hilariously tiny cooldown and has a high magnitude which means you can spam it to blow anything and everything into ragdoll at will.

Everything else though... Detention Field, like all "remove this rear end in a top hat from the fight completely" abilities, is slightly underrated but I get why it's not popular. Repulsion Bomb isn't terrible but it's pretty blah. Repulsion Field is also underrated (it and Repel got buffed so they don't devour your endurance anymore) but is also kinda redundant with Force Bubble. And that works in the opposite direction as well; sometimes one will work where the other would screw everything up. Force Bubble in general is a bit finicky and hard to use. The occasional times where it works, it works wonders.

That's really the issue, the four main enemy-affecting powers are all just slightly different flavors of "I would like this bad guy to be over there instead of over here". Plus you've got Personal Force Field stinking up the set far worse than any of them.

Bloodly posted:

You can make a lot of mage-like characters, really. Though sometimes you'll have to go around the houses a bit. I'm trying to make Balrogs. It's harder than you think. Fire and shadow. But they're also known weapon users(Sword, Axes, Titan Weapon), which means the other half must be fire(A Balrog without flame isn't much of a Balrog), and there's precious little access to shadow after your primary and secondary outside of Soul Mastery, and the only whip is Mastermind(Which is not exactly bad, your Balrog has his followers...). You know? Sometimes you compromise, and sometimes you go with weird or extrapolations.

Why not Fire Melee? That has three fire sword powers. Alternately, I don't remember if it was all sets, but those same fire sword (and ice sword) models got ported to other sets.

Axe < Sword < Mace, IMO. (Less raw numbers more just general utility/fun factor.)

Axe is so painfully in need of love. It's the most generic of the bunch and even has the smallest number of weapon customization options. :(

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Vermain posted:

That's fair. I simply don't value raw damage as highly as utility, especially the utility of Parry and the ability to slot Achilles' Heel. You can get the same defense with Katana (which is functionally the same as Broadsword) and superior defense with Titan Weapons, but if you're looking solely at Sword/Mace/Axe, I'd take Sword every time.

Mace is kind of one note, but it's a pretty good note for a tanker. High damage, PBAOE stun and a pretty decent sized cone knockback, and all their single target has some CC built in.

I ran a Shield/WM tanker on live that was a blast. Shield charge in, wait a tic for Against All Odds to kick in, PBAOE, one shot most of the minions and then drop Shatter and hit a boss like a goddamn truck.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Out of curiosity what makes Staff good on Stalkers but bad on Scrappers? I've been running a staff/sr Stalker and it feels solid enough but I haven't tried the set with other ATs.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Staff has a gimmick that isn't great. Stalkers, like with most of their sets, remove most of the gimmick.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You trade a little AOE from an AOE heavy set for an auto-crit instant cast extreme damage single target attack.

Sounds like a good trade off to me.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

From what I understand Staff has decent AoE but terrible single target damage. However, on stalker you trade out one of the staff AoE cones and the gimmick move for AS and build up. So now you have a Stalker set with decent AoE and good single target damage thanks to having AS.

Also my staff/Nin Stalker is super fun but holy poo poo does he run out of end quickly

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I can't decide what to pair a katana brute with!!!

Claws/Bio is dope as gently caress but I want to make a robot samurai next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

elec or energy!!