Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Did/does the City of Heroes homecoming server cull old accounts? My email doesn't seem to be tied to an account anymore. No huge loss since i'm just screwing around waiting for POE's new league to launch, but this is odd..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Deki posted:

Did/does the City of Heroes homecoming server cull old accounts? My email doesn't seem to be tied to an account anymore. No huge loss since i'm just screwing around waiting for POE's new league to launch, but this is odd..

No, there's no reason to do so. MMO companies almost never do stuff like that. They're counting on you coming back, so Grondarth the Scrotum Crusher resides safely in the server database.

There was talk about freeing up names if a character hasn't been logged in within a certain amount of time, but they never actually implemented it.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 17, 2020

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/22535-page-6-preview-sonic-manipulation-game-balance-piecemeals-shop-of-horrors/

Page 6 preview!

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

So it turns out no freakshow costume bits for players on the horizon. My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If you can pump out two new power sets in a year, there's no excuse not to add even a single new costume piece.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Every single new powerset we've gotten, AFAIK, has been built out of pre-existing assets. Like you can even see in that Sonic Manipulation screenshot the character is emitting entirely stock Sonic FX and doing a stock animation.

New costume parts require totally new geometry to be built. And remember that every costume part is actually 3, one for each body type, and also has to be rigged to not immediately break the second you touch the sliders.

Like maybe if your argument was that the art time put into the new Freakshow designs could've been put towards player costume parts you might've had a point. (And even then the new designs appear to be 95% cobbling together existing enemy parts and 5% new texture work.)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 21, 2020

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
And animations may actually be one of the hardest assets to add, since they require multiple variants for things like flying, swimming, holding a shield, etc.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

The Viking at the end of the post has one shoulder guard, one arm guard, from parts that do not have one shoulder, one arm options. That's new costume.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
For those who (like me) don't venture out to GBS or FYAD (I originally heard via Twitter), it seems like it's been confirmed by people who knew him in RL that OG CoX goon Barnacle Jim (Miracle Midget) has passed away: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942972&pagenumber=1

Condolences to all of his loved ones. He was a swell person and great fun to play alongside.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Aww hell, I remember Miracle Midget :(

Condolences all around.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Peace be upon all CoX goons. I don't think I played with Jim but I still wish him rest and his family condolences.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Interesting article about CoX and Cryptic here: https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/06/cryptic-studios-interview-reflecting-on-20-years-of-adventures-starships-and-superheroes/

Fun tidbit: When Cryptic bought the IP for Champions, they didn't just license it, they completely bought the IP. Nowadays they license it out to companies making p'n'p stuff to keep the brand alive.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gynovore posted:

Interesting article about CoX and Cryptic here: https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/06/cryptic-studios-interview-reflecting-on-20-years-of-adventures-starships-and-superheroes/

Fun tidbit: When Cryptic bought the IP for Champions, they didn't just license it, they completely bought the IP. Nowadays they license it out to companies making p'n'p stuff to keep the brand alive.

Ha the same thing wound up happening with Vampire: The Masquerade. Well, it was actually a little weirder. The whole pnp RPG company got bought by the folks who made Eve, they kept the rpgs alive as an IP and brand thing while working on a PC game off and on and eventually sold the IP and white wolf off to another developer. They new publisher also kept it around as an IP thing while working on new Vampire videogames until the RPG writers did some very questionable stuff like writing a source book about current real life genocides being an evil vampire plot. So this got the whole RPG line and company shuttered. Then they relaunched the RPG lines licensing stuff out.
Some of the folks currently licensing White Wolf IPs are actually the volunteer/semi-pro folks who were previously patching and fixing the math behind some of the more broken and shoddy systems and books.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
the whole "Paradox, White Wolf/oWoD Onyx Path/nWod" split and the stuff with swedracula and stuff is *wild*

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Page 6 morphed into i27. :toot:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I did the heroside arc and I thought it was really cool.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Holy crap, that's some serious changes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wow, there is a lot going on there :eyepop: I'm really intrigued by all these power set reworks. Makes me want to try some of them out again.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, wow. I'm in love with those changes. Deffo gonna play again.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

the Teleport pool changes sound super cool. a combat teleport plus the flashstep thing you can do with the super speed from the experiment pool, combine it with elec melee and shield defense, and you're just like. everywhere at any time. then you pop that thing that sucks all the enemies in and just rock it.

adding more mobility to CoH is definitely gonna get me interested in playing more again

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Combat Teleport ability is definitely what caught my eye the most. I've always thought the idea of teleporting around a bunch was really cool but just not all that practical in CoH. This might make enough of a difference that I'll go for it with a couple characters. I have a Time Manipulation Defender who has flight right now just for ease of use but teleportation feels much more right for him.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Taking out the / command to teleport to base sucks. :(

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Comfortador posted:

Taking out the / command to teleport to base sucks. :(

Yeah, this is like, one of only a few things that actually annoyed me from those notes. Going "just use the 10 other 10 sec cast/30 min recharge powers" is such an inelegant solution.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"We brought back the Vahzilok plague and you have to engage with the side-swapping mechanics" is like the perfect way to keep me at arm's length.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bieeanshee posted:

"We brought back the Vahzilok plague and you have to engage with the side-swapping mechanics" is like the perfect way to keep me at arm's length.

Didn't they even nerf that plague back on the real servers? Like adding a timer to it so it was "sure you can play the missions weaker, or jist wait 90 minutes?"

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yeah, this is like, one of only a few things that actually annoyed me from those notes. Going "just use the 10 other 10 sec cast/30 min recharge powers" is such an inelegant solution.

I'm pretty mad about this as well. As if my bars weren't overcrowded enough as it is already. That hub teleport has been freeing up a lot of space for me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Basically as soon as they said "we're gonna drag our asses on patching this out, but btw it's totally going away eventually" I knew they were spinning up a shitstorm of their own making.

I'm largely neutral on it myself. I never used the command, but also the defacto replacements do seem a bit clunky and overly fussy. It was a bad idea to leave it hanging for so long, but also people are immediately losing their poo poo about not being able to be instantly anywhere in the game in 5 seconds like it's a huge upheaval to...use the tram or TUNNEL network or Ouroboros once in a while.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

remembering all the correct transit links that will or won't take you to specific places sucks rear end, actually. there should in fact be one reliable button that can get you anyplace you need to go, and having to wait for ten minutes to change maps again is really total garbage

people will fall right back to ouroboros, which will limit the maps they're willing to go to in the first place

people invested some serious craft and effort into player-made transit hub bases, which is greatly disrespected by this update

this was a stupidass thing to do, not sure if it actually affects my chances of playing the game again, but it's still a pointless own goal

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

My understanding is the transit hubs will still be immediately accessible if you’re in range of a portal (which sounds like it may include the temporary portal power), they’re adding and relocating the portals in zones, and the command still works exactly as it does now for base to base transitions. So it’s not end of the world but will definitely be a bit of an adjustment from the current status quo.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

honestly it's the player teleport hubs that wind me up the most. that stupid /command created something the game has never had before, which is a practical, gameplay-driven reason to visit somebody else's base. imo that kind of thing should be pursued maximally

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
that's such a weird change. its like how sub based mmos will get rid of something convenient to pad your play time

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
My understanding was that the salient issue was that you could use it to instantly vanish and retreat to the safety of your base at any time, including combat. I understand why they'd take that out.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Abhorrence posted:

My understanding was that the salient issue was that you could use it to instantly vanish and retreat to the safety of your base at any time, including combat. I understand why they'd take that out.

So? PvP or combat balance was never a thing that mattered in this game. It's not like anyone is racing to be world's first whatever in a taskforce.
A "I can avoid xp debt by sitting through loadscreens" /command is hardly a pressing issue -especially when weighed against the quality of life expected in a modern game vs oldschool mmo timesinks.
How many powersets had a never die button? I know at least 3 off my head could phase even in combat.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Abhorrence posted:

Allegedly there's some other more serious exploit with the command, though there's only been vague allusions to it from the closed beta people

Which still doesn't explain why they wouldn't just make a supergroup portal power and make it recharge really fast instead of this 10 power juggling act, but I guess they haven't hit the "elegance in simplicity" phase of design yet :v:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It took a long time for MMO developers to understand what ease of access really means, so I don't expect a rag-tag group of fans who spent several years locked away from the outside world to really appreciate how convenient that teleport to base command was.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I would also say in a more abstract sense having the functionality be A) tied to a command intended for GM use only and B) require a specific SG base passcode is actually kinda bad. I know it's not some big complicated messy thing to set up and have work, but there's just enough cracks in the "implementation" such that it is that it would definitely be better to have a cleaned up, slightly more user-friendly version of the same concept at the very least.

LordSaturn posted:

people invested some serious craft and effort into player-made transit hub bases, which is greatly disrespected by this update

Did anyone really care about how nice the transit hubs were? You zone in, you zone out. Basically as long as the teleporters are arranged in a sane way one's as good as another? Though on that note I'm petty sure at least on Everlasting most everyone uses the exact same public hub so acting like the efforts of dozens of hard working base builders has gone to waste is kind of a stretch.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Honestly? Everyone gets long range teleport now for their first explore accolade. Shouldn't that be enough? I never used it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

Honestly? Everyone gets long range teleport now for their first explore accolade. Shouldn't that be enough? I never used it.

You get to teleport to the zone you get the accolade for, so lol @ getting every badge in every zone on every character

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
They said it was an exploit and they were eventually gonna patch it out; and now it's patched out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

John Murdoch posted:

Did anyone really care about how nice the transit hubs were?

me, genius. if you're going to quote my posts you could at least read them