Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Character action games, action games, hack n' slash, whatever you wanna call them it's a really cool genre!

I had played a handful of these games over the years but never got in to them enough to get much past a run through on normal or so and feeling all cool when I saw the credit roll. One day watching the ChipCheezum LP of MGR made me realize I actually played that game like trash and didn't use the fun built in mechanics much so I went back and beat it on Hard using parries and dodges, that felt pretty good. Having eaten the apple of knowledge I played Bayonetta 1 on normal and thought about going back for more, then played Bayonetta 2 and got in to it enough to do the second highest difficulty and most of the bloody palace/witch trial things. Back to FPS games and stuff. Months later tried the DMC5 demo, shrug, Nero's arm and breaking it seemed dumb.

Then an awesome goon sold me a DMCV code for :20bux: and holy :aaaaa:

Couldn't put it down till I beat it up through DMD. Such a crazy good game, and it was so fun to start to understand the different combat mechanics available. Additionally, the rest of the game felt really drat well put together. Which got me wondering about the rest of the genre. Had I just button mashed through easy difficulty on these games and missed what made them distinct for all these years? Did devs put a bunch of time and effort into features I just blew by mashing X till I saw the credits and said THAT WAS NEAT NEXT GAME? So now I'm binging a deep dive in to the genre, playing a shitload of the games back to back to directly compare and contrast, see the DNA of what led up to DMCV, read some of the history, see what was awesome and terrible about other games, and have fun taking a more..informed? approach to playing through them.

I'm trucking through trying to play as much of the genre as I can without going crazy, and invite you to join in to pick up some of these games for the first time, or, brush the dust off and jump back in. There's a lot of good stuff out there that holds up well and can be easily played on modern platforms!

So what's up with em? This subgenre of action games generally has a few staples: directly controlling a character in a 3D environment, primary focus on fighting involving melee attacks and combos, and progressing through a single-player "Story Mode". Sprinkle in guns, puzzles, different types of weapons, level-ups, exploration, score attack with rankings, combo systems, slow mo bullet time, etc. depending on the game. The game type hails from the arcade experiences of your Final Fights and Street Fighters, blending the multiple enemy engagement management of beat 'em ups with the offense and defense options of fighters. The fun parts on the shallow end are hitting some buttons, beating up some baddies, and seeing some cool looking moves and weapons and set pieces. Then on the deep end you get in to cranking up the difficulty level, learning the ins and outs of the move sets and mechanics, and dunking on the increasingly hard encounters. A lot of the action games have a new game plus flow wanting you to run through multiple times knocking the difficulty up and bringing with you the weapons, health upgrades, and most importantly skill and understanding and ~style~ as a player through to the next level.

quote:

When Kamiya first beat a game at the arcade, “I really wanted to watch the ending of the game. But if you could beat a game and stand up and walk away that was really cool. I had a gallery behind me, so I had to...I’m looking at the ending screen thinking, ‘I really want to watch this,’ but I had to stand up because I had to do the cool thing.”

“Even in shooting or action games, if you know that you can just kill this guy this way, but maybe if I could try to do it a little bit cooler, or a little more interesting. Maybe there’s a bit of, ‘hey, I’ve got the gallery behind me and I’m going to show off some play that you’ve never thought of,’ but there’s also the element of showing off to yourself and creating your own play style. I think that had a lot to do with the games I played when I was younger, and that really came to the forefront in DMC.”

https://gfycat.com/largecreamykudu

So what are the games? I'm loosely going with the label "3D Hack n' Slash" cause there are a lot of those already, and it's easy to tip it to other genres or subgenres that then include 1,000 other games that don't really play the same. Popping them down to the second post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Devil May Cry Series
Features:

Includes: Devil May Cry 1-5, DmC: Devil May Cry
Modern availability: HD Remasters of 1-3 on PC, PS4, XBone. DmC on PC with an improved Definitive Edition on PS4/XBone. DMC 5 on PC, PS4, XBone.

Has the latest big hit of the genre, Devil May Cry 5. The series is widely considered the cream of the crop, excepting DMC2 which sucks, and the offshoot/reboot DmC which has some mixed feelings.

Bayonetta Series
Features:

Includes: Bayonetta 1 & 2, with 3 in development
Modern availability: Bayo 1 on PC, XBone (back compat). Bayo 2 Switch only.

Made by Platinum Games with staff that created Devil May Cry 1. Platinum likes "bullet time" slow-mo, featured heavily here along with larger than life set pieces.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Features:

Modern availability: PC, XBone (back compat)

A Platinum crossover with Metal Gear. Includes some stealth elements, slow-mo "blade time" mode, big set pieces, an amazing prologue sequence, and the bad guy is the power hungry American president saying "Make America Great Again" (released in 2013).

Ninja Gaiden Series
Features:

Includes: Ninja Gaiden 1-3, Yaiba Ninja: Ninja Gaiden Z, and a pile of different versions of those games
Modern availability: Ninja Gaiden Black, Ninja Gaiden 2, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Xbone back compat)

Made by Team Ninja, creators of the Dead or Alive fighting games and Nioh. Ninja Gaiden Black is the definitive NG experience, the rest range from OK to junk. IT'S THE DARK SOULS OF CHARACTER ACTION GAMES. Very challenging, but also very well made and rewarding. Features difficulty levels such as: You're A Piece Of poo poo, Hard, Really Hard, Most Hardest, Moster Harderist

Transformers: Devastation
Modern availability: PC, PS4 (note, the licensing has expired so it's only available for purchase used)
Platinum crossover with Transformers. Light RPG elements like loot drops and STR/DEF/AGI stats, trimmed down and short, but sweet and has the voice actors from the cartoon.
B - Dig it! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890699&userid=168706#post495602981

Tron Evolution
Modern availability: XBone (backwards compatibility)
F - It's bad https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890699&userid=168706#post495644994

Dante's Inferno
Modern availability: XBone (backwards compatibility)
C - OK, worth one playthrough https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890699&userid=168706#post495926894

GOD HAND
Modern availability: PS2
C - Lots of problems, lots of good stuff https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890699&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post497432524

Assault Spy
Modern availability: PC
C - Pretty great, but limited by being a shoestring budget indie title https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890699&pagenumber=4#post497746244

X-Blades
F - Baaaadddddd, just don't https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890699&pagenumber=5#post497882466

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
C(-) - Pretty OK, mile wide inch deep and outshined by other titles https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890699&pagenumber=5#post498186590

Nioh
Modern availability: PC, Xbone, PS4
Groovin' game, not quite a hack n' slash

Currently Playing: Shinobi

Games I haven't played on this journey and have no comments for (yet):

Blades of Time - PC
Killer Is Dead - PC
Zone of the Enders 2 (it totally counts!) - HD Remaster PC
Anima: Gate of Memories - PC
Anima: Gate of Memories - The Nameless Chronicles - PC
Devil's Third - WiiU
Rising Zan - PS1
Vampire Hunter D - PS1
Blood Will Tell - PS2
God of War 1-3 - PS2 (Remaster of 3 on PS4)
Shinobi - PS2
Nightshade - PS2
Viewtiful Joe 1-2 - PS2
Rygar - PS2
Wonderful 101 - WiiU, may get a Switch remaster
Onimusha Warlords - PC HD remaster
Sekiro - PC
Otogi - Original Xbox, not currently playable on XBone
Heavenly Sword - PS3
Ninja Blade - PC
Genji Dawn of the Samurai - PS2
Genji Days of the Blade - PS2
Folklore - PS3
Clash of the Titans - PS3/Xbox 360
Spriggan Lunar Verse - the first CAG, and by FROM! - PS1
Mad World
Anarchy Reigns
The Legend of Korra
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan
No More Heroes 1-2
Conan (2007)
Lord of the Rings 1-3 (PS2 era)
Chaos Legion
Bujingai

Things I don't know if they count:
3D Castlevanias
FF Type 0
Spider Man PS4
Batman Arkham series
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae
ONINAKI

Big upcoming 2019 releases:
Nioh 2 - PC/PS4/XBone, by Team Ninja
Astral Chain - Switch, by Platinum

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 29, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DMC5 is the GOAT but I hope Bayo 3 can give it a challenge. I hope it has Bayo 1 combat with bayo 2 general level design(but longer).

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Metal Gear Rising and Sekiro are probably my favorite action games of all time followed closely by Soulslike Nioh.

Something about two blades exchanging blows and thrusting deep inside your opponent makes me excited.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 29, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I didn't see God Hand on that list young man, and that's a paddlin'

e: ignore this I'm dumb

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

WaltherFeng posted:

Metal Gear Rising and Sekiro are probably my favorite action games of all time followed closely by Soulslike Nioh.

Something about two blades exchanging blows and thrusting deep inside your opponent makes me excited.

I'm p excited to get to Sekiro and Nioh (basically waiting till they're on sale real cheap since I have so much other stuff on deck). Playing through Ninja Gaiden Black again in 2019 made me really think..and these are heavy words I don't use lightly, may never say anything more serious in my life..that it's the Darrrkk Souuulllsss of character action ggammeesss. Really there are a whole lot of similarities to the flow - the combat is a lot more methodical than other action games, with rolling and iframes and guard breaking and blocking all mattering a lot more. You upgrade weapons. You hit save points instead of checkpoints and move through a connected world sometimes unlocking shortcuts to the save point. It's really hard if you mash buttons and go all out offense like other games, but very manageable if you slow down and learn the mechanics.

Why I'm more excited now bout Sekiro and Nioh is the neat history - NG came out in 2004 by Team Ninja, Demon's and Dark Souls in 2009/2011 by FROM, and now we have Nioh and Sekiro by the same companies in a similar space in 2019 but from what I've seen they look flipped with TN's Nioh being more on the RPG side, FROM's Sekiro more action, but both in this vein of high difficulty 3D hack n' slash.

I also didn't know FROM has been in the genre forever, I just knew them as the Souls and Armored Core people. In 2002 they released Otogi (and Otogi 2 in 2003), featuring Agni and Rudra before DMC3 came out in 2005:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR9hfZnZQc8&t=3504s

They've cranked out about 50 games since 1994 and a pile of them aren't quite hack n' slash but pretty close, so they've had their toes in it forever. A couple others from them on my list besides the Otogis are Ninja Blade, and what appears to be the first actual character action game - Spriggan: Lunar Verse for the PS1 in 1999! 'Course it has to be based on an anime.

e: Soulses and Gaidens and stuff are deffo different types/genres of games, I just think it's neat after going between the two how much DNA they share and that the same companies are making both types.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 29, 2019

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Cvit_/status/1106026911447298049?s=19

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nioh is fantastic and I can't loving wait for 2. More weapons, more monster variety, more everything!

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

teh_Broseph posted:

Space Marine (I think this counts? I'm gonna play it again and see) - PC

Although there are some melee options, I'd just call Space Marine a shooter.

Don't forget about Platinum's upcoming game: Astral Chain. There'll probably be proper gameplay of it shown at E3.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Nioh is fantastic and I can't loving wait for 2. More weapons, more monster variety, more everything!

Double Flux is one of the most mechanically satisfying mechanics I've ever encountered. Hope it's still in Nioh 2.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1133847620051456000

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I've got my eye on Lost Soul Aside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u67oS8qT104

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna be reposting my takes on games from the DMC thread till they're caught up. Currently playing through Ninja Gaiden Black, up to about 1/4 of the way through Very Hard. It's an effin beast of a game though so I'm also playing Tron: Evolution on the side, which is an embarrassing use of the Tron brand.

teh_Broseph posted:

Here's what I have for the DMCs. Before, I had only played through DMC4 and DmC once (and thought hey it's pretty great why's everyone rag on it so hard??). This time I did one normal run of 1-2, then re-runs up through VH of 3, DMD of 4 and DmC. In the order I played them:

DMC5 the good
Best game
The bad
Not ZoE3

DMC4 (standard edition) the good
Nice variety in enemies and how you have to fight them, graphics still look good, some neato environments and aesthetics. Fake edit after playing a bunch of other games, the combat controls and move sets the player has in this and 5 are really outstanding and in a class of their own and I didn't realize until really spending a lot of time playing with everything and going back to other games again.
The bad
Only a few environments which got stale, slow to pick up, camera still sucks.
:argh: Gryo blades and dice

DMC1 the good
Solid building blocks for the series, great environments that make DMC4 look bad, great bosses. Was expecting some awful early days 3D game I was gonna skip, but legit ended up really enjoying playing through it.
The bad
Some of the cons of an early 3D game, but feel like I'd need to replay it a few times on the higher difficulties to fairly comment.

DMC2 the good
Arius was a groovy bad guy, nice design and cohesiveness with stuff like giving him a move where in the fight he just teleports out of camera and chills sipping wine letting his lackeys fight until you run over and hit him :allears:. Props for attempting the hell world wobbly stuff, some cool devil trigger modes maybe? Added some series building blocks like BP and fast weapon switching.
The bad
It was pretty much made in 6 months, don't need to beat this dead horse.
:argh: Camera and attack direction REALLY latching on to enemies (shoutouts to the tip to hold R2 to attack switches instead of enemies in AccountingNightmare's LP..which I saw after I finished the game RIP!).

DMC3 (special edition) the good
OK after 1 and 2 now the series is starting to feel like proper DMC again, dang groovy overall and just a great all in one package. Not gonna call out what was good cause I'd just be writing out everything in the game.
The bad
Series still getting its feet for nailing combat variety with some cramped fighting areas and limited active weapons/styles.
:argh: Platforming, DMD enemy HP (I didn't even finish through the first boss battle before saying fuckit and moving on)

DmC (standard edition) the good
So the game is actually really good :smug:. For one playthrough :suicide:. Combat, level design, lots of set piece goodness, bunch of look and feel that I think carried over into 5. QoL is great with restart from checkpoint, practice mode, fast loading, quick restarts. Vergil DLC is a better tighter version of the game too. DMCV combat now seems straight up to me like they took the controls and movesets from 4 and gave them the sound/VFX/"feel" of DmC.
The bad
Dead horse about the script/chars and all. Where it gets rough is the more you rerun the game and knock up difficulties, imo it gets more about puzzle solving than ~styling~. See a certain enemy, do the one set of moves you figured out is way more effective than anything else. Then platforming that was neat the first time but now you're just trying to mash through as quick as possible to get to the next fight. Boss fights same thing but worse, just press the exact same buttons you did last time and wish you could skip all the mid fight cutscenes.
:argh: Unskippable cutscenes

I initially brushed off ~old~ games but I totally need to go back and play through the higher difficulties of DMC1 maybe after playing some more games that came before it, cause I hear DMC1 was the first legit good char action game.

Fedit: ^^That Lost Soul Aside vid looks super sick. As of Mar. 25 2019, looks like they're still plugging away:

https://noisypixel.net/china-hero-project-interview-lost-soul-aside-ai-limit/ posted:

BC: I know this is on a lot of people’s minds, but how is Lost Soul Aside doing and can we expect any new updates on its progress, perhaps a release window?

CHPO: During the spring showcase, we said that the game is still being worked on and development is steady, but no other information can be told right now. Since last year, Yang Bing received the fundraising he needed to complete his game without any concern of money. After this, he requested that his team be removed from the spotlight so that they can go back to working on the title. Before this, in 2018, we were showing the game’s concept to give the western audience a chance to see how great this game is and show potential investors that there is a demand for the game. We respected his request to focus on game development as the team size is 20 people now and they are preparing something big to show off.

The release window is tough to say given that the team is so young, but you might hear something in the next couple of years. However, this is after the game goes through testing and approvals. We never push the Lost Soul Aside team, but I can confirm that the game can be completed.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Does Mad World count as a character action game? And if not, why not?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Crowetron posted:

Does Mad World count as a character action game? And if not, why not?

Doh somehow I missed just going through Plat's release list. That looks kind of groovy; wiki says it also had a spiritual sequel called Anarchy Reigns which at a glance straight up looks like a Metal Gear Rising precursor and came out about a year before. I also missed Korra which I heard is an OK not-as-good-Transformers, and I guess they did a Ninja Turtles game?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Ninja Turtles game is the worst game Platinum has done. It's funny that nobody brought it up until you saw it on a wiki, but also not surprising.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teh_Broseph posted:

Doh somehow I missed just going through Plat's release list. That looks kind of groovy; wiki says it also had a spiritual sequel called Anarchy Reigns which at a glance straight up looks like a Metal Gear Rising precursor and came out about a year before. I also missed Korra which I heard is an OK not-as-good-Transformers, and I guess they did a Ninja Turtles game?

Madworld is boring, anarchy reigns is a dead multiplayer game similar to Gundam VS. it also had a rad soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dVKMla1LAY

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1134466103072219136

Things I wouldn't expect to hear in a Tron: "I'm gonna tear you a new board port, you little glitch."

PC port cleans up a lot visually vs the Xbox version. Game still rear end though, and what I was hoping were audio emulation issues on the Bone is just the sound mix being terrible. For the most part they kept the Daft Punk loud though which is arguably the best part of the game :gaz:

e: vv yeah that makes more sense my hearing sucks

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 31, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I definitely hear “tear you a new port

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

teh_Broseph posted:

Aight next batch of game notes. I'm trying to keep these shorter but going hard on DMC then switching to Platinum was a trip.

Bayonetta 1 the good (played through Infinite Climax)
imo knocked the environments, level design stuff, and aesthetics out of the park. Fast paced combat that's pretty fun and witch time is a great gimmick. Amazing set pieces, bosses, and set piece bosses. There's some platforming and level transversal that unlike DmC is still fun on subsequent playthroughs. Shoutouts to Griphon, Phantom, and Shadow.
The bad
This is tough. Yin yang. Same stuff I love about the game has stuff that drive me nuts. Level design is awesome, until slipping on something just a touch and whoops there's a death bye-bye stage rank. Aesthetics are great until the 800th crotch/butt zoom in. Highest difficulty combat I feel like I'm just playing it wrong or missing something. Boss battles got old. Loved the game at lower levels, started really disliking it at DMD difficulty.
:argh: Bike and Space Harrier levels, one shot deaths, being attacked IMMEDIATELY out of nearly every cutscene. Now I'm scarred and will be dodging out of every cut scene for every one of these kind of games till the end of time.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance the good (played through Very Hard)
Sword mode an awesome mechanic and gimmick, very tight and compact game, excellent enemy variety visually and mechanically. Boss fights were good too and mixed things up. While short and not a complete bundle like say DMC3, it's a really solid A+ fantastic game through and through. Sam DLC was cool, dog DLC was :effort:.
The bad
Mechanics strongly steered me towards using a handful of attacks/moves and away from a lot of what was there by the end, ho hum level design, handful of frustrating enemy attacks.
:argh: Unblockable attacks into chain stunlocks, camera

So :words: on Bayo 1 combat after I've also replayed MGR. There's some breakdown video of what sucks about Bayo 2 compared to 1 where the guy says the high level combat takes a hit in 2 for relying on witch time but imo that's taking the icing off a cupcake. My experience in 1 was VH was still pretty groovy, but going to DMD where they disable witch time I just learned to cheese. I kept trying to do different combos, and use parries, and different weapons, but it was all really hard and kept not having much of a reward (like how Royal Guard is tough, but do it right and you get rewarded with mad damage. Here I'd get a parry and like, cool I can tap them once or twice before they recover from stagger and parry me right back). Figured out to just hang back from the enemies and one frame punch cancel into dodge, one frame kick cancel into dodge, one frame punch cancel again to finish the combo and fire off a weave attack. It did a lot of area damage while leaving me almost fully invincible and since weaves reset combo score degradation it'd also give S rank combo score. So I still liked VH a lot. But DMD I felt like pulled back some of the options that first gave the game its uniqueness, and once those fun/unique options are taken away or made less useful the game kinda loses its identity and hook.

It shined a bright light on how awesomely designed DMC combat is. Some of the Platinum games I feel like have a sharp curve up to get their gimmick thing down, then as the difficulties go up I'm just ignoring a lot of what's there. Why figure out the nuance of 20 different combo routes when I can just sit there, get a parry timing right (with the help of iframes), and do 10x the damage of any combo? Whereas in DMCs as I've gone through the different games and difficulties it feels like each time it's throwing new and more options that are all viable and helpful in different situations and pushing towards and rewarding trying them all out. I may get stuck on a boss for a bit and DMC youtube results may be 5 different versions of ways to tackle and dunk on it. An MGR result though will just mostly be how to perfectly time nothing but parries, dodge attacks, and a basic combo. Like the difference in practicing scales vs. freestyling solos. Looking forward to replaying Bayo 2 and hitting DMD difficulty there.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
The tanks in Tron don't do a lot of damage (on Normal at least) with their cannon, but the hitbox may instakill you. Or not. But probably will.

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1134552836669366272

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Abandon tron evolution, play tron 2.0

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Thanks for reminding me that I own a back-compat PS3 and a copy of God Hand

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Man I just recently was playing through No More Heroes and Metal Gear Rising, what an aptly timed thread. :v:

Pomp posted:

Madworld is boring, anarchy reigns is a dead multiplayer game similar to Gundam VS. it also had a rad soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dVKMla1LAY

Madworld had a good soundtrack too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gre-o_tsumk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRwFwNr3a4U

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Please god play Wonderful 101. IMO it's Platinum's best game, and has a ton of play style options and variety. It doesn't quite reach the amount of options DMC5 gives you, but what does?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

love this thread though I really don't think games in that larger list like GoW/Dante's Inferno have anything to do with the Platinum/DMC stuff at all, former being buttonmashing poo poo that's aged poorly with the latter having way more of an emphasis on style and a vocabulary of things you can do. I thought the common term was "character action game" since googling that brings up all the DMC/Bayonetta/Revengeance games. Anyway I'd put No More Heroes 1+2 in this too even if it's incredibly bizarre and has a lot of weirdo minigame poo poo; still focuses on combat and at least for 2 has an emphasis on multiple playstyles.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
God Of War 1-3 can be played button mashey but there actually was a lot you could do with juggling and grappling and launching and really wasn’t as mindless as people say it is.

The problem was the every game was only slightly iterative so that while by the end of DMC4 Dante has literally 3 times the moveset as DMC1 Dante... Kratos is basically doing only slightly cooler versions of the same moves as he was in like 2002.

I beat every GoW on the hardest difficulty and still suck at perfect parrying etc. but the game’s hardest fights are at least as difficult as some of the Dante Must Die encounters.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I have a lot of respect for the GoW series, in that though they never went for the depth of Japanese character action, they stayed in their lane and did the whole epic spectacle murder-brawler very, very well. I would recommend them for people who're intimidated by how crazy DMC can get but want to get used to learning patterns and getting good without getting crazy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Beating the valkyrie queen on GMGOW last year was definitely just as hard and technical as anything I've done in DMCV up to this point, although it had more in common with a Dark Souls fight than the character-action of previous GoW games.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Double Flux is one of the most mechanically satisfying mechanics I've ever encountered. Hope it's still in Nioh 2.

Have they mentioned anything about the insane loot treadmill and the overly complicated stats system that somehow didn't seem to actually have any effect? Nioh had some great stuff, but huge chunks of the mechanics were flat out bullshit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All that stuff was still present in the Nioh 2 Alpha, according to goons

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

CodfishCartographer posted:

Please god play Wonderful 101. IMO it's Platinum's best game, and has a ton of play style options and variety. It doesn't quite reach the amount of options DMC5 gives you, but what does?

Holding off on W101 for a while hoping for the Switch release they said they'd like to do :pray:.

From what I can tell, "character action" is a newer label that popped up, and earlier they were just called action or hack n' slash. All in all not great labels lol, like "third person shooter" is pretty descriptive, the CAG type labels aren't really descriptive, and like the GoW talk above leaves some more room for interpretation than like "a shooter that uses a third person camera." A lot of the games you can definitely just button mash your way through and ignore all the mechanics and fancy stuff, ask me how I know :smuggo:.

Removed Space Marine from the 2nd post list, adding NMH1-2, leaving GoW1-3 (at least for now?).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yo if loving Tron counts than God of War counts good grief

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yuup for sure, looking at stuff now. Somehow I managed to know basically nothing about em over the years besides playing the (obviously different) new one. Man I missed a lot of cool poo poo never having a PS2 or PS3.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A good one missing from your list is Muramasa for the Wii. It's from the maker's of Odin Sphere and follows a lot of the style, but it's like they looked at Viewtiful Joe and went "What if that, but Ghost Samurai?" You can button mash your way through on lower difficulties but it takes finesse to make progress on the higher ones (including one where you only have one hit point).

A few more on the margin titles that wouldn't be what I jump to with character action but based some of the titles you're listing would fit for you are Conan for the Xbox 360 and the Lord of the Rings movie tie-in games for the GameCube/PS2/Xbox. These games are similar in that they put the player up against a hoard of monsters and have you earn points to buy extra moves. Personally, I think they're a bit shallow mechanically, I'm just mentioning them since they are similar in mechanics to other games on your list.

For 3D Castlevanias, the N64 ones definitely would not; they're clunky and slow. The PS2/Xbox ones are closer but I feel like they cut closer to the standard beat-'em-up action game rather than a game where you have to use some style and technique to excel. Judgment... is not something to talk about. I haven't played the PS3/Xbox 360 games (or their 3DS spin-off) so I have no opinion there.

Prototype is an open world smash-'em-up that's closer to Grand Theft Auto. The combat system in it is about as basic as you can get.

The Arkham series... The combat system is complicated with a lot of options and you have to use your defensive abilities with precision so I'm going to say it counts, but the games have you use those flashy combat moves on generic thugs 99% of the time so it might not scratch the itch. Also, Arkham Knight is really bad and spends a lot of time on tank combat.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

teh_Broseph posted:

Holding off on W101 for a while hoping for the Switch release they said they'd like to do :pray:.

Has there been any actual evidence this is happening? I'd love for it to, but I've been hearing rumors about it since the switch came out with little more than a promotional CGI image where if you squint it looks like Wonder Red is playing W101 on a switch.

Honestly if it doesn't get announced at E3, I wouldn't hold out hope for it. It's a fantastic game, and has the absolute best ending sequence of any game ever. I swear there were 3 or 4 times I went "okay THIS has to be the final boss, it can't possibly get more over the top" and then sure enough it keeps outdoing itself.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I haven't played the PS3/Xbox 360 games (or their 3DS spin-off) so I have no opinion there.

The Lords of Shadow games are just God of War clones, really.

LoS2 is a good example of how not to design a game like that, though. Lets make enemies with shields and guns, you can only break the shields by using meter which you can only charge up by comboing enemies and not getting hit, oh there's no other enemy type in the arena and they're flying off to the rear end end of the battlefield to shoot you, okay.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Has there been any actual evidence this is happening? I'd love for it to, but I've been hearing rumors about it since the switch came out with little more than a promotional CGI image where if you squint it looks like Wonder Red is playing W101 on a switch.

I think somebody from Platinum had an interview with... Hajime Tabata of all people where they said they wanted to port it, and also there's been weird promotional images aside from that one that hint at it, but it's been wink wink nudge nudge stuff for years now with no announcement or anything so who knows?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm super digging Ninja Gaiden Black! Most of the way through Very Hard, difficulty 3 out of 4. It's taking me a lot longer than other games to get through and is a lot more demanding, but imo it's designed very well and is more in line with say DMC3-5 where running it back at higher difficulties is all about learning how to flex through all of your options and keep adapting while feeling..well, mostly fair. It just does it on a very tough scale. The changes they do between difficulty levels is a step above too - there's no NG+ carrying through all your stuff, and they remix a lot. New enemy types show up, a lot of fights are mixed up with new/different enemy types and amounts, bosses start to get adds, and they even give you weapons, moves, and items in different spots. It changes at every difficulty level, too. Very impressive. I guess there are 2 new bosses I haven't gotten to yet, even.

You can grab NGB for just :10bux: on the Xbone store! I haven't finished it yet but any fans of the genre I'd deffo recommend scooping it up and playing it for the first time or doing some more runs through if it's been a while, graphics and gameplay and everything hold up great. I played a chunk back in the day of the original release and got the two DLCs, but I think I just beat it on Easy and Normal or maybe Normal/Hard then did the mission stuff. (NGB's Normal being NG's Hard). Kicking it up through the higher difficulties and with them just making Black harder period has been real fun.

This guy on youtube has been doing recent well organized videos covering a lot of info on game mechanics (boss strategies, weapon explanations, etc.) to help new folks get in to the game and covers a lot of stuff the game doesn't tell you that I think is essential to succeeding without getting crazy frustrated cause the pacing of the difficulty is not good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?0JoeButton0?featured

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I would love to try out Ninja Gaiden unfortunately Black is probably never coming out on Sony systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
NGB super deserves a Steam/PS4/Xbone re-release, I'm pretty sure it's in the top 3 CAGs for me.

More repost from the DMC thread, almost caught up to where I'm at:

teh_Broseph posted:

Back in town, action game odyssey continues.

Transformers: Devastation the good (played through Prime difficulty)
This game is awesome, do yourself a favor and go play it! It's the candy bar of action games. Bayo combat meets MGR level flow but really pared down to the essentials. Guns are good and there are a lot of types! Melee is good too and there are a lot of weapons! 5 varied and good characters to play as! Good enemy variety! Level transversal is even fun! There's almost zero "unskippable cutscenes", even door opening animation stuff you can skip. No hidden missable health/mana upgrades so you can just keep cruisin. Highest difficulty was a fun twist too, the DMD->H&H sort of jump was that enemies moved and attacked MUCH faster so it became a game of how to keep near constant witch time and iframes. Enemy attacks wipe your life bar but you always go to 1hp then next hit kills, and it's not frustrating cause you can spam a very generous Bayo style dodge which automatically does dodge offset combo-ing and health drops are everywhere. Excellent graphics, it looks amazing in motion. Solid cutscenes/VA/music/etc.

The bad
There's an RPG style char/weapon stat and levelling system that I'm sure some audiences loved, but I wish wasn't there and more focus put on balance instead. Maybe part of how it turned out so great but it's REALLY pared down - not many different levels, game's really short, just not a lot of meat to dig in to.

The :argh: I was almost going to put nothing here but by the end a couple "protect the AI" checkpoints were awful when they died in a few hits, and converting $$->XP by the end took literal minutes just holding a button in a menu.

teh_Broseph posted:

Huuuge props to the DMC move design for most of the series. The move sets are great about having damage/speed tradeoffs, single target vs AoE, and stationary vs moving you in different directions and amounts. It's more "soft counter" than "hard counter" too, so even if you're doing the "wrong" attacks somewhere it still works and feels like you're doing cool stuff. Then learning to use more of the movelist and weapons and being able to hotswap through everything feels really good and rewarding to find and use the "right" move in each moment. Plus different moves can be the right answer. It all adds up to feeling ~super stylish~ AND effective. Add the style meter on top and you get another thing ticking your brain to try out all the moves and give you a flashy thumbs up. It's not as cool and flashy as the Platinum stuff when you just mash buttons, but the skill/reward curve for learning the combat system is crazy good.

The Plat stuff instead puts "hard counter" type rewards into the moves, like weave attacks at the end of Bayo combos. So the more you play it instead of learning to expand the movelist it feels more like learning how to trim it down and use the fastest route to the reward. In Bayo you can use PPPKKK to trip the mob and hit with a weave. But the trip doesn't come till the 4th attack and as the difficulty levels go up each attack you do is more likely to get parried and your combo broken, or you might just get hit out from the flurry of 4 mobs attacking, and by the time the trips come out they might whiff, and you have to successfully get to the 6th attack for your big damage weave to hit. Why figure out how to use that long combo when you can just do PKP to get a quick weave which is way easier to land and still gets you big damage and score. Or even better use dodge offset cancelling to skip the PK and just fire off the P weave at the end. Same thing for MGR, whole bunch of combos and moves that you first learn how to do them all just to learn why most aren't worth doing and it's way more effective to just learn how to royal guard everything and mix in quick attack spam and a few other moves. It's all a different approach that I think is better for teh casuls - you get a lot of kind of flashy stuff for mashing buttons with some BOOM attack at the end, and some ~trick~ thing like witch time to feel all pro to use after getting used to the game a bit. Then there's a sharp spike up to reward diving in more, like getting longer witch time for parrying or mad damage for MGR parries. Then the variety falls off a cliff in repeated plays cause you just find the handful of OP things to use and abuse.

Or I might just be bad :D