Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every single time an enemy animation cancels in a souls game, and most recently jump canceling in Elden Ring I sigh a little bit.

I unquestionably died way way more in Ninja Gaiden 3 than anything in Elden Ring, but thats not fair because Ninja Gaiden 3 is baaaaad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I have specific kind hatred for DMC and its that you literally do not have enough fingers for comfortable setups without getting hand cramps.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

I have specific kind hatred for DMC and its that you literally do not have enough fingers for comfortable setups without getting hand cramps.

Are you thinking about anything other than charging the gun? Because you can easily solve that by either rebinding the gun to a trigger or just using the X and Y with the same thumb like I do.

Besides that I don't think the game requires many buttons at once?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 3, 2022

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah I actually find DMC’s controls way easier to wrap my head and hands around than any later Kamiya titles.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Honestly despite being one of the few big devs in the genre, I don't like how Platinum makes them , and the controls are a part of that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TBQH I've never liked dodge on R2, or any non-face button for that matter.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

IMO you should never put any time critical action on a trigger, whether that's dodge or shoot.

Hel fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 3, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I always rebind dodge to RB in Platinum's games, because having dodge on a trigger is for masochists.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Ninja Gaiden (not Black) was my entry into the genre and I feel I was spoiled with a control scheme that didn't make my hand cramp.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I move Nero's shot to LB or LT because I rarely use it to shoot normally and mostly just for the charge shots but I do keep Dante's guns on a face button since I'm not only charging those.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What’s unwieldy about dodge on trigger? Is it too mushy? But anyway Ninja Gaiden controls perfectly and hopefully Wo Long controls more like it compared to Nioh

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

hatty posted:

What’s unwieldy about dodge on trigger? Is it too mushy? But anyway Ninja Gaiden controls perfectly and hopefully Wo Long controls more like it compared to Nioh

Finger has to travel much further distance to press it which means that it takes more time.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
I just use my middle finger to hold down R2/L2 for charged stuff. I've only played enough Bayonetta to tell it can run on my laptop.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Jack Trades posted:

Finger has to travel much further distance to press it which means that it takes more time.

That’s never been a problem for me, maybe if I swap dodge to a bumper it’ll be like removing my weighted training shoes

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Imo this was clear when alot of Souls fans disliked Sekiro, one factor being it's difficulty. Action games test different skills than the action rpg like Souls/Nioh. There is similarity in that you need good reactions to dodge but in action games you usually need better memorization and just hand eye coordination to execute the combo perfectly. There is a element of fighting games in those games. Learning a combo is easy but doing it on a enemy that's trying to kill you is a lot harder.

I would say in terms of overall difficulty though, soulslikes are harder on the first run while action games usually really start testing you in further difficulties where there are significant changes to the game.

Barudak posted:

Every single time an enemy animation cancels in a souls game, and most recently jump canceling in Elden Ring I sigh a little bit.

I unquestionably died way way more in Ninja Gaiden 3 than anything in Elden Ring, but thats not fair because Ninja Gaiden 3 is baaaaad.

NG3 is like the worst habits of Team Ninja, bosses with a poo poo ton of armor and invincible frames, cheap regular enemies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whether or not you think it's true though, is there any criticism less helpful than "the wrong kind of hard." Unless the controls flat-out don't work then you can eventually master any system, it really just comes down to if the essential gameplay experience is fun enough to bother learning.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sekiro has the good kind of clang and ninja gaiden has the bad kind of clang

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ulio posted:

Imo this was clear when alot of Souls fans disliked Sekiro, one factor being it's difficulty. Action games test different skills than the action rpg like Souls/Nioh. There is similarity in that you need good reactions to dodge but in action games you usually need better memorization and just hand eye coordination to execute the combo perfectly. There is a element of fighting games in those games. Learning a combo is easy but doing it on a enemy that's trying to kill you is a lot harder.

I think a big factor here is that a ton of people play through every Souls game by spamming 2-hand Great Weapon attacks that break everything’s poise and deal massive damage with Super Armor, and Sekiro is the one Souls game that just doesn’t offer that option (you have the Axe, sure, but it costs Ammo and doing lots of damage in Sekiro is pointless anyway), so lots of people who really believe in themselves to be skilled warriors discovered that they were actually just oafish brutes.

Devil May Cry 5 Vergil is harder than any Souls boss, and you can’t summon or ask for help.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

In practice it feels sloppier, but on paper shouldn't it be faster cause less friction to reach activation, and the game should be coded to start the dodge at like 10% activation definitely not full trigger pull.

Ulio posted:

NG3 is like the worst habits of Team Ninja, bosses with a poo poo ton of armor and invincible frames, cheap regular enemies.

K so what if like *bong rip* the folks from TN who made NG3 like, *more bong rips* teamed up with the Plat folks who made W101 to make a crossover collab game??

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

teh_Broseph posted:

In practice it feels sloppier, but on paper shouldn't it be faster cause less friction to reach activation, and the game should be coded to start the dodge at like 10% activation definitely not full trigger pull.

It should be, if they're gonna use triggers but I haven't see a single game that does that. They're all require full trigger pull for a dodge and it's a loving nightmare.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

It should be, if they're gonna use triggers but I haven't see a single game that does that. They're all require full trigger pull for a dodge and it's a loving nightmare.

I was playing wonderful 101 on pc with a series x controller yesterday and specifically paid attention to this (easy to test with the unmask characters during dialogue thing) and it definitely activates at an extremely shallow angle, probably around 10% of a full trigger pull. could be different on ps4. Switch doesn’t even have analog triggers so not an issue there

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I think a big factor here is that a ton of people play through every Souls game by spamming 2-hand Great Weapon attacks that break everything’s poise and deal massive damage with Super Armor, and Sekiro is the one Souls game that just doesn’t offer that option (you have the Axe, sure, but it costs Ammo and doing lots of damage in Sekiro is pointless anyway), so lots of people who really believe in themselves to be skilled warriors discovered that they were actually just oafish brutes.

Devil May Cry 5 Vergil is harder than any Souls boss, and you can’t summon or ask for help.

Ya I think all the souls game are very similar so if you find a broken playstyle you can just use that to go through the whole series. You can just be a shield dude poking with a spear and easily get through the entire series. You are right, Sekiro has just one playstyle and it takes a lot more skill. If you start using abilities + ninja tools on top of that, it requires even more in depth understanding of the game's mechanics.

I would say Dark Souls is a hard game but it takes less skill than action games because of the rpg mechanics, summons etc. There is definitely skill oriented builds, I always go Dex or no defensive type builds, if you have a build based on parry. You can make the game more fun and really get creative with your playstyle. But it's inherently limited due to the rpg mechanics. Hopefully Fromsoft go even further into action territory if they make a sequel to Sekiro. There should have been no emblems for the special abilities but with the current balancing of the game it would have been too easy but if they build the sequel with that in mind from the start they could balance it properly. Like Sekiro has some of the coolest looking abilities but I've seen so many playthroughs and no one uses any of them. Some like One Mind you only get after the short ending.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/N6a5-8_kt3E

So this is where Phantom went? I guess he got lost on his way to DMC5 and turned up in a different game.

Also wow, do the environments look like complete garbage thanks to the Switch.

EDIT: Also, is it just me or does Viola look like someone just smashed together Lady and DmC Vergil together (minus the Plan B sniper rifle)?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 13, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

So this is where Phantom went? I guess he got lost on his way to DMC5 and turned up in a different game.

EDIT: Also, is it just me or does Viola look like someone just smashed together Lady and DmC Vergil together (minus the Plan B sniper rifle)?

She looks like DMC5 Nero

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Phantasmaraneae (yes, I had to google the name) was in both Bayo 1 and 2 already. In 1 it was part of one of the boss finishers and in 2 it's a mini boss.

I second Viola being Bayonetta's Nero.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/chaserbait/status/1547239329130430464?s=20&t=Pc__ESq4zb-TTszuy1AAzw

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Been playing MGS Rising again, recently, and yes, absolute stone cold classic whatever issues it has. Level design is good, enemy roster is good, length is good, core mechanics are chefs kiss, and of course it gets quadruple narrative bonus points for the hero getting to give the villains speech.

I won't lie, I now realize what sekiro was missing for me, dismemberment.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

Been playing MGS Rising again, recently, and yes, absolute stone cold classic whatever issues it has. Level design is good, enemy roster is good, length is good, core mechanics are chefs kiss, and of course it gets quadruple narrative bonus points for the hero getting to give the villains speech.

I won't lie, I now realize what sekiro was missing for me, dismemberment.

I am not much for gore but Ninja Gaiden 2's dismemberment really made every hit feel much more surgical and that game had comical blood sprays, too bad we got Sigma 2 instead. It's good but NG2 OG was the better version.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I never cut Sundowners shield off before but this playthrough I did it and lol, why would you do that hes not any easier or really less spongey.

Also the Jetstream Sam fight is way different than my memory. Weird.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

I never cut Sundowners shield off before but this playthrough I did it and lol, why would you do that hes not any easier or really less spongey.

Sundowner has no HP, if you cut off his shield then you can just skip the whole fight by juggling him to death.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Also cutting the shield triggers the vocals in his song to kick in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Sundowner has no HP, if you cut off his shield then you can just skip the whole fight by juggling him to death.

You can proc a juggle even while he has shield (somehow, I really don't know how I did it) the ninja run->heavy bypasses like all his defense so you can do it everytime to get close. I think its why Jetstream auto counters that when he doesn't have a sword.

He really doesn't have like any HP as you mention though, hes the big gooey punching bag so it probably does speed it up but even gunning for this, although admittedly not good and a decade between runs, I had him at like 30% hp remaining when he broke so not much left to destroy.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Crowetron posted:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Crowetron posted:

And Red Sun might be the best vocal track on the soundtrack imo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just can't get into Vanquish no matter how hard I try.
The actual gameplay is fairly fun, once you see it as a cover shooter rather than a character action game but I cannot handle the controls.
If I use the controller then the game wants me to have a finger on LT, RT and LB at all times, which very annoying because then I don't have any fingers left to actually support controller's center mass, and then if I use Mouse and Keyboard the game is comfortable to play but they bug out every 5 minutes and my Google-fu haven't given me a solution that works.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

You're playing is all wrong lol. Its not a cover shooter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bFT9QREtyU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

RBX posted:

You're playing is all wrong lol. Its not a cover shooter

my reply last time op came in to talk about Vanquish

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You could play it like a cover shooter or...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORat7h-KC3s

The breakdancing against Bogey Alpha and Bravo is particularly steezy.

You briefly use cover to launch yourself to do rad poo poo. I think that's all it's there for, to allow acrobatics??

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

also for a quick cigarette break

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please do not ask how many attempts on Metal Gear Excelsius I needed before I learned you can, get this, parry its moves. You know the core mechanic the game is built on??? I also died an embarrassing number of times to Jet Stream Sam for not realizing you have to defeat him via QTE. I was like why won't this last .1% of HP GO AWAY.

Currently took a break at Armstrong the final Battle and my god, the cutscenes in this are still so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

Please do not ask how many attempts on Metal Gear Excelsius I needed before I learned you can, get this, parry its moves. You know the core mechanic the game is built on??? I also died an embarrassing number of times to Jet Stream Sam for not realizing you have to defeat him via QTE. I was like why won't this last .1% of HP GO AWAY.

Currently took a break at Armstrong the final Battle and my god, the cutscenes in this are still so good.

If it helps, I didn't realize that you could parry boss moves at all until after my first playthrough, and same with the multiple zandatsu squares mechanic, which made the last boss insanely difficult because I'm clever that way. :downs: