Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
PS Transformers Devastation license expired so it's only available for purchase on PS4/PC used. And

teh_Broseph posted:

This game actually has the best zoom+slowmo as a fight closes effect. I thought DMC5 nailed it but having the same visual effect except instead of a Linkin Park member doing a sly grin it's a yellow VW Bug backflipping off a robot's face :pusheen:

For tech if you want to play it, the Devastator drills are pretty broken good against bigger or grouped enemies. Here's a list of what the stats do https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/168610-transformers-devastation/74405308, and recommended equipment mods https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=922373135

teh_Broseph posted:

Heck yeah they're even in the title! That's the Devastator drills I heavily abused once hitting the difficulties where everything 2 shots you and the player damage could really have used another balance pass. Take Drive, but make the projectile the size of Nico's van, and it ticks for damage maybe every frame so against something like a big boss/mob it ticks a LOT, and it goes through walls/enemies, and it only takes one second to charge. That's the drills lol. Aren't SUPER broken like Faust in practice though cause a lot of stuff is small and if on the highest difficulty will move really crazy fast so it's still better to mix in regular combos for more damage on some things, weave attacks for iframes, etc. Some of the bigger enemies, or groups, or super huge bosses it completely shits on them though.

They're a drop from this guy:

The Devastator Drills are cool and good and join DMC5 Faust hat and Tron Evolution invisibility in the most broken OP things I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Cancel Bayo 3, Switch has the character action game it deserves https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/blades-of-time-switch/

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
^^ That was on sale last week for cheap on PC, I'll be playing it soonish lol.

Tales from Tron:
https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1132989016205398018

Ever wonder if it would be good to instantly be able to go invisible to all enemies by just pressing a button for free in an action game and still be able to move around? Tron has your back! Weapon system in the game is a cool idea - your basic moves/combos are all the same but you can toggle between 4 special weapons, each has 3 different attacks you can use that use a bar of meter, and each has a passive ability while it's equipped. The specials do stuff like big single target damage, big AoE, stun, health drain. The passives are 35% damage reduction, AoE blast when you get hit (including blocks), special bar regen, and *drumroll* invisibility while "standing still". It's complete invisibility to every enemy including bosses, activates immediately when you toggle to the weapon, holding L2 to be in guard mode similar to DMC lockon mode also counts for activating so you can still move around. It's super fuckin broken.

I got a clip that showcases Real Impact, the blehh block/parry system, going invis, and the two hit combo you see a million times cause it does WAY more damage than the rest.

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1135536738951192579

And here's the final boss when you use the invis, the whole fight is just doing this 4 times:

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1134576186674372608

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 3, 2019

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Assault Spy is on sale on steam for 14.99 and it's obvious what its inspirations are.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/767930/Assault_Spy/

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RBX posted:

I've got my eye on Lost Soul Aside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u67oS8qT104

This and the steam game posted above both look a little too fast for me. When the character moves that quickly they appear weightless, and I get the sense that they’re holding back for some reason.

Nero and Dante have distinct weight to their actions, and as a result I always feel like they are really trying.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Dante most definitely is not trying

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Both are indie games that's why. They're not gonna have that polish and I can look past that. It seems to be the same speed of Turbo mode which reminds me that I need to try that mod for 5 on PC.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Namnesor posted:

Dante most definitely is not trying

This is, admittedly, why him from 4 is probably my favorite incarnation of Dante, even over 5's more powerful version. He just doesn't give a single gently caress outside of 'Hey, I'm getting paid, oh, right, gotta deal with Dad's latest fuckup'

That he ends up having to deal with his brother's 'first' fuckup is the only time he really gets serious.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Wish all these games had a proper ranking system so I could show off how high a level I play them at

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1135749305887854593

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

teh_Broseph posted:

Bayonetta 2 the good (played through Infinite Climax)
Trimmed a lot of annoyances from the first game, leaner and smoother experience overall. Pretty cool weapons which helps open up the combat variety. Devil trigger! Still rockin the great biblical heaven/hell aesthetic for the most part. Solid fun game, really hits a lot of the good things about the genre.
The bad
Platinum usually has some awesome BIG SCALE boss fights where you're fighting the literal solar system or some poo poo, lost some of that here. There are some big bosses but you fight them basically in a shmup mode, losing some of that David vs Goliath feeling. Overall the whole game just feels smoothed out with high lows but also lower highs, doesn't have some big juicy hook that wasn't already done in Bayo 1.

:argh: Holy poo poo the whole game was going swimmingly till maybe halfway through the highest difficulty. Would love to know the frame data on enemy attacks cause it feels like 15-20 frame attacks with little to no audio cue that you have to react to with a dodge that feels like it only has 3 active frames, then on top of nearly impossible dodge timings the attacks will come from offscreen with enormous range, and on top of that hey let's zoom the camera out to show stage animations and give you an AI partner throwing stuff everywhere to further obscure the enemy attacks. Hey yeah awesome. That junk was the most bewildering thing I've seen yet. Oh and thinking I dodged an attack, GETTING WITCH TIME TO TRIGGER, but still seeing my health go down like I didn't dodge it, that's my fave (no the only accessory I had equipped was the moon).

I hit the same problem as some other Plat games at the highest difficulty. DMCs the difficulty curves have felt great, like each time it ticks up I know I just need to do more things faster and more accurately. Some of the Plat stuff is great for a few runs then I load up the highest difficulty and it's like I have to throw out most everything I got settled in to before and am now playing with a new set of rules that they don't tell me what they are. Figuring out what to do is frustrating cause the games are so fast paced and brutal that it's tough to even play around with the tools available.

teh_Broseph posted:

Hey you wanna see some examples of super groovy action game design, make sure to turn sound on so you can hear the audio cues that aren't there

https://twitter.com/i/status/1129388621520183297

e: Fun part on this one is I dodged fast enough to get witch time but still took a hit
https://twitter.com/i/status/1129388052349050880

https://twitter.com/i/status/1129229681381715969

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
OK I'm all caught up from the DMC thread reposts except for I think a couple history bullshit things.

Bust Rodd posted:

This and the steam game posted above both look a little too fast for me. When the character moves that quickly they appear weightless, and I get the sense that they’re holding back for some reason.

Nero and Dante have distinct weight to their actions, and as a result I always feel like they are really trying.

quote:

I wanted to know exactly what that meant. “What are video games that feel good?” I expected Itsuno to mention something like Bayonetta. Instead, his face lit up and he mimed out a baseball swing worthy of Barry Bonds. The thing that made Famista [old Famicom baseball game] work, according to Itsuno, was a sense of impact. It wasn’t a complicated game, but hitting a home run was exciting. The swing, the hit, a brief hit-stop that emphasized the powerful connection between bat and ball. Then the ball flying back, back, back—home run!
Itsuno is super good at that part! It's a Big Deal in fighting games too, how to do all the hitstop, keyframe animations, particle FX, sound FX, everything to make a hit in a video game go BOOM. And a lot of the time that will show up in 2 seconds as the difference in a AAA and an Indie game of one having a bigger budget, experience, timeframe, etc. It's something I don't think any of the Platinum games I've played have really nailed either. Transformers does some of it pretty well, but man the DMCs are awesome about all that.

And I finished Tron! Glad to be done with that one; hardest difficulty run I started to get some stockholm syndrome but then the first 30 minutes or so of Dante's Inferno was way better and rumor goes that's not even a Good Game.

From the devs that brought you..wait, there was a 2008 Turok reboot?
Tron Evolution the good (played through Insane)
OK this is hard, uhh let's see. Daft Punk! Ranged and melee attacks are intertwined. the toggling 'weapons' around to different passives is pretty cool and may be the grooviest standout thing in the game? It's short and pretty compact. It has a Real Impact.
The bad
I think the elevator pitch is: What if you took the gameplay of DMC2, the vehicle levels from Bayonetta 1, the platforming from the new Tomb Raiders, and gave it the length and trim of Transformers Devastation, then slapped a Tron theme on it? There are some neat ideas, but everything is badly executed. Animations, sound, visuals (much better on PC)..it just feels like the budget all went to the Hollywood parts and not the gameplay, and was some quick turnaround project dumped on inexperienced devs. Props for some of the ideas, like trying to make a parkour based CAG, it just didn't fire off.
:argh: Getting ragdolled everywhere, and the higher damaging moves have slloowww animations

Some other stuff - There's a kind of neat navigation thing where you hit Select and a breadcrumb pops up of where to go, but it's only in some parts of the game and sometimes doesn't work. Damage, hitreg, and aiming is inconsistent. There's a block/parry system but it's boring and sometimes you take tick damage. Again, the game tried to be parkour based - there's a room with a locked door and 4 spots you have to wallrun on to unlock the door, they are clearly marked and in a parkour path that the camera pans through when you enter. But instead of doing some cool parkour path like the camera and room layout imply you actually have to hit the wallrun spots completely out of order, and the door doesn't even open once you hit them and light up all the symbols you still have to kill a wave of enemies. On the last level, during a cutscene you get the traditional powerup and a recolored suit and new disk like you just went saiyan, but I didn't notice any gameplay effects. The audio mix isn't just bad all around, the treble is also so harsh for some sound fx I have to turn the speakers down (same on PC and Xbox, different speakers, headphones, etc.) so it doesn't hurt my ears. The credit roll is unskippable - then if you pick Continue right after, instead of dumping you into the next difficulty level or whatever it puts you at the final cutscene, which you can skip, then you're back at the unskippable credit roll.

E: Oh yeah, the difficulty curve cause that's a big part of running through all these games multiple times. Umm, ehh? Only changes are upping the enemy damage and health with each difficulty bump. I don't really know how it's supposed to affect gameplay cause I just abused the poo poo out of the invisibility and barely got hit through the 2nd and 3rd difficulty runs. It was that or die in 2 seconds at every encounter cause the animations are garbage and your offensive/defensive options kind of suck, so meh. It was kind of interesting to learn how to properly abuse invis into highest damaging/crowd controlling moves back into invis I guess.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 4, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dante’s Inferno was too edgy and religious to become mainstream but it’s my favorite GoW clone by far.

More Scythes in gaming, please!

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Dante’s Inferno was too edgy and religious to become mainstream but it’s my favorite GoW clone by far.

More Scythes in gaming, please!

Gonna second this, because I unironically loved every bit of that game. Became a running joke between me and my cousin to declare that 'Every Crusader had a double jump' to determine the 'Crusader-ness' of anything, after playing though said Inferno. It had, for the most part, a flawless deception of Dante's writings of the Inferno in it's varied forms of hell, and, as mentioned, the Scythe was stupidly satisfying to use as a weapon. The combat in general was just choice, despite being a God of War clone though and though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shame the developers just gave up about four hours from the end.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The scythe is Bayonetta 2 is hella sick. Give Vergil one, please

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So there was an update to DMCV that claimed to be just bugfixes... except it isn't It changed a lot of boss-Vergil's behaviours and added some moves to the dummied out unplayable Vergil.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Onmi posted:

So there was an update to DMCV that claimed to be just bugfixes... except it isn't It changed a lot of boss-Vergil's behaviours and added some moves to the dummied out unplayable Vergil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug88HO2mg44

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Onmi posted:

I don't think that update claimed to be anything. As far as I know there weren't any patch notes at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

Can you clarify what got changed?

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teh_Broseph posted:

Shinobi - PS2
Nightshade - PS2
Rygar - PS2
Ninja Blade - PC / XB360

These games are really cool and overlooked entries in the genre although Shinobi hasn't aged as well as the others

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Can you clarify what got changed?

From searching the subreddit, Boss Vergil can now cancel Judgment Cut into dashing slash, aerial Judgment Cut into Helm Splitter, and possibly vice versa.

The incomplete playable Vergil now seems less buggy, and has a sort of concentration mechanic that affects the range of his slashes and apparently changes his shadow.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Spergatory posted:

From searching the subreddit, Boss Vergil can now cancel Judgment Cut into dashing slash, aerial Judgment Cut into Helm Splitter, and possibly vice versa.

The incomplete playable Vergil now seems less buggy, and has a sort of concentration mechanic that affects the range of his slashes and apparently changes his shadow.

At this point, I'm loving calling it. E3 is gonna have Capcom announce a proper Vergil setup, possibly, if we're lucky, explaining how the gently caress he came back from his 'exploding' in 1.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Someone in here was asking about proof of a Wonderful 101 port a little while ago, and inside Gematsu's BitSummit interview with some Platinum folks there was this tidbit.

quote:

You’ve previously brought up the possibility of bringing The Wonderful 101 to Switch. What do fans need to do to make it happen?

Inaba: “Yeah, I think I said that on multiple occasions. And I’m glad that I did. So if you could be patient with it, that’ll be great.”

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/platinum-games-interview-with-atsushi-inaba-and-takahisa-taura-at-bitsummit-7-spirits

Also in that interview, an explanation for their logo being dropped from the Granblue game. It's exactly the mundane thing people thought it was.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Its a bit shame but if that game ever comes out in the west I hope it has that Platinum feel. It looked really nice imo.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

puve posted:

These games are really cool and overlooked entries in the genre although Shinobi hasn't aged as well as the others

Rygar is a trip. The gameplay is a pretty bog standard God of War rip-off but the cutscenes are an endless, beautiful fever dream. It's like having Roman history described by a guy who watched two episodes of Xena and tehn took a bunch of acid. There's an honest-to-god musical number.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rygar predates God of War by quite a few years, people were writing off the first GOW as a Rygar clone for a minute.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Finished up the first playthrough of Dante's Inferno and wowzers, it was neat. The combat kind of sucked, but seemed like it started to get a lot better once I got a bunch of moves unlocked but then the game was over, will have to see how that pans out on the next runs. Everything else though, woah I'm impressed and surprised that game got greenlit as a real AAA release, props to them! All of the art side of things - level design, characters, story, cutscenes, sound FX and VA are all Mortal Kombat-ey over the top. On one hand it's video game cheesy, but imo they also did a surprisingly good job of incorporating not just the based-on-classic-literature stuff but also "hey people did a lot of bad poo poo during the Crusades".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would solidly classify it as a AA release

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Dang, last batch of Xbox back compatibility games announced and no Otogi in there. That one may be lost to the sands of time and only available on original Xbox hardware, ouch. I really wanted to see what was up with that game, too.

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1138432143678418945

The last boss of Dante's has a neat move where he teleports and either does nothing, a wave attack with one timing, or projectiles with a different timing. It's annoying to adjust to the timings but thought it was neat mechanically and thematically to have an enemy white out the screen with a "holy blindness" to obscure their moves and make you look close and use audio cues. He does the same thing if you shoot your glowing cross projectiles too much, reflects it back and does the blind effect that's usually more an FPS kind of thing.

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1138138468406693889

Oh and it's Satan with his dong hangin out.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

teh_Broseph posted:

Dang, last batch of Xbox back compatibility games announced and no Otogi in there. That one may be lost to the sands of time and only available on original Xbox hardware, ouch. I really wanted to see what was up with that game, too.

They're stopping Xbone BC specifically because their next system is supposed to play everything and that's where the resources are going.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3WqG1-7Ogk

Here's some Astral Chains footage. It's definitely leaning way more towards arpg than character action game. Even the "expert" combat just seems like Nier: A but with V's devil trigger pets.

Seems fine but it won't be dethroning DMC5 as the king.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Spergatory posted:

Nothing happened at E3 but I'm gonna say Capcom was loving with people about DMCV being done because between this and the rumored "Ladies Night" content, there's def something cooking. Zero reason to tinker with Vergil like that unless he's gonna be playable eventually.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a clip showing how annnoooyiinngg all the MASH B mini QTEs are that pop up all the time in Dante's, but also how groovin' some of the level art and animations are. Seriously that mash prompt comes up everywhere - opening doors, health/currency pickups, finishing moves, etc. You have to mash faster than a chunk of the Bayonetta QTEs too, even just to open a door. They nailed a lot of the attack animations though; moveset is real stylin.

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1139228375342604288

Third playthrough and the levels are still cool to look at and run through. The visuals are hella striking, and the traversal is some of the best in the biz imo. DMCV went the route of just cutting it out, but a lot of action games still have some elements of traversal between combat rooms - this one keeps a lot of it in, but does it as kinda fun old school Castlevania style platforming. Instant/quick death in a lot of places but the platforming isn't difficult and the checkpoints are plentiful. I also like how they mix the lore with the mechanics. Instead of random walls to climb and all, you have the setup of climbing down through hell/Inferno, and you're climbing across bodies. Random fire obstacles have the setup of flames there to punish the damned you're climbing across. (And there's more lore+mechanic crossover in combat and upgrades.)

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1138501774816534529

The last difficulty run is just a formality at this point; found the super broken stuff! Just a couple more levels to knock out.

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1139364537939963905

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Did the Ladies Night DLC come from anywhere of substance or it just like a “some guy on reddit with no street cred”

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Did the Ladies Night DLC come from anywhere of substance or it just like a “some guy on reddit with no street cred”

Datamined files from the PC version iirc

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
And done!

Dante's Inferno (played through Inferno difficulty)
Released in 2010 (so shortly after DMC4 and Bayonetta 1), made by EA's American studio Visceral, who among a bunch of other stuff did Dead Space shortly before, and the LotR Return of the King action game back in 2003.
The good
Level design is great (combat areas are ho hum mechanically). Some fun old school platforming with checkpoints. Everything art related is awesome - the levels, story stuff, enemies, animations, etc. etc. There's a neat system to your melee (unholy) and ranged (holy) weapon - the upgrade/skill tree is split in half, and picking which weapon to use in a finisher (which behave the same for combat) or against NPCs between fights will give you XP down one or the other upgrade tree. With upgrades, killing/finishing with melee will refill mana, and with ranged refill health. Then you also get 4 accessory slots to customize your playstyle some. One really cool part is at the end, instead of doing a boss rush you go through a series of rooms that are like DMC Secret Missions, giving you challenges to complete with big currency bonuses for doing an extra requirement.

The bad
While the combat moveset you have is awesome, it doesn't really apply to the enemies in the game. It falters in the same way not-excellent action games do that once you start turning the difficulty up, it falls apart cause you die in just a few hits and your moveset isn't balanced around how the enemies behave so you just fall in to using the same few moves for everything the entire game. Enemies get hit really inconsistently since they may block, may parry (which can knock off half your life), and if you get a knockdown the next hit will instantly restand them so they can block or parry the rest of your combo. So throw out most of the movelist cause it's all risky to try and use. That adds in with the DMC2 problem it has of guns are really good so chilling at a distance and mashing shoot is a lot of times both safer and more effective. But at least the ranged weapon is closer to Gunslingery stuff of you have a few different moves with great animations, instead of just plain camping back mashing pew pew pew. I think the only changes going Normal->Hard->Very Hard is the enemy damage gets WAY ramped up the first time, then a little more the second. I wanna say there are no other changes to items, enemy placement, or even enemy health. If someone told me they were on the project and the above normal difficulties were an intern adding a +X% enemy damage modifier 2 days before the game went gold I'd believe them.

:argh: Having to mash B for mini QTEs aaallll thhhe tiiimmmeee, the 3 phase final boss is total trash, handful of checkpoints that are long and easy but with one or more things that can instakill you right at the end.

Game is a solid C, worth playing through once imo.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 14, 2019

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Some gamedesign.txt from Dante's:
Why is the last boss hot garbage? Phase 1 is just a jumping rhythm game to avoid attacks while you mash shoot until you hit him enough to get a stun which lets you actually do damage, by just shooting more. But you die in 2 hits, and while trying to do the fairly tight jump rhythm there are also 2 tornadoes flying around that go faster than you, are hard to see, and have gigantic hitboxes, and it takes a lot of time staying alive through that before you can get in to do moderate damage and repeat. Phase 2 is a more regular Vergil-ey fight except it's the bullshit of unpredictable very fast behavior that kills you in two hits so you just kind of go ham trying to stunlock with the same move and hope the AI plays nice. And he has SO MUCH HEALTH in phase 2 that get this, if you're fully invincible just wailing on him and burning your giant devil gauge bar, it takes THREE ENTIRE MINUTES just mashing out your highest damage combo. Like nonstop hitting him while invincible just pressing Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y and sometimes refresh your invincibility, for three minutes straight. Now imagine how long it would take to kill him if you weren't invincible, and trying to do damage while not getting hit more than once in any action game for 5+ minutes and you have zero healing/res items. And it's both Hard and Very Hard where he starts 2-shotting you. Total trash. Phase 3 is short and OK.

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1139017141326352384

Invincibility?
Following the bad game trend of weapons and abilities and all ranging from near useless to completely broken - in this you have 6 spells mappable to the face buttons, and a mana bar. One of the spells makes you completely invincible (you don't even take hitstun), heals almost your entire health bar, has an invincible casting animation, can be recast before it wears off, and costs so little mana that if you equip the mana regenerating accessory it lasts for 15 seconds then you're back to full mana another 15 seconds later so 50% uptime. Some enemies drop mana too and there are refill stations between a lot of fights, so you can very easily just be invincible all the time and get a free health refill in case you don't feel like casting it and get hit.
They also made the ranged attack pretty strong - it does good damage, has just as much or more stun potential than most of the melee moves, can do huge AoE, and causes enemies to drop health when they die. The air attack with it does more damage and is safer than the ground attack, which pairs nicely with an accessory that gives bonus damage to air attacks. There's 1 accessory to boost melee damage, but 2 accessories to boost ranged damage, so once you stack those with the aerial boost and just jump and mash B, you get probably the highest single target and AoE DPS in the game and it's extremely safe.
I mean, I guess it fits the lore cause when you cast invincibility and do the air attack you're floating in the air with angel wings blasting crosses out to the minions of hell.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I hate button mashy QTEs. One of many great things about the PS4 Spider-Man game is the option to turn rapid-mash QTEs into "press and hold" QTEs, which are much less annoying, especially given how weirdly demanding and strict the game's mashing requirements are. Hell, you can set all the QTEs to auto-complete if you want, something I almost did as QTEs add basically nothing to most games I've played. I love fighting and gameplay and I love well-directed cutscenes; I don't appreciate trying to mix the two, especially when the game is inconsistent about it. Why does the game need my input for Spidey to do some cool things, but other feats of badassery he performs entirely on his own? Make up your loving mind! Do you want me to play your game or not? :argh:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Bunch of different moves to pick what to map to buttons, a weird style meter, more Tekken-ey hand to hand combat, one of the first mobs turning in to a demon and totally wrecking me till I ACTIVATED THE GOD HAND, a devil trigger meter and meter for ability charges, tank controls, some dude did an E Honda flying headbutt at me. I'm still in the first few rooms and wow there's a lot to unpack and get used to wth is going on here but I'm down with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
It took me awhile to figure out that just mashing the hell out if the right stick is how to dodge enemy attacks. Pretty sure it will cancel you out of almost anything you are doing.

Also the move Yes Man Kablam is amazing and amazingly exploitable.

Oh yeah and in regards to the style meter: the game gets harder the higher your current grade is. This adjusts on the fly as you gain and lose rank.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 17, 2019