Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

What the fuuuuuck is with these gun dudes
https://twitter.com/i/status/1159464022498074626
This section has me on tilt pretty hard. Getting closer though. Home stretch where the enemies all start to be the "big" kind and checkpoints get long, which is making me switch up from banking on hand plant kick + the Fwd-Triangle jump kick doing a lot of work for damage and crowd control, since hand plant kick doesn't launch the bigs.

That section isn't great; I usually use a pot from the edge if I can to knock those cannon idiots out as fast as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
That level is definitely real rough, but lmao I never knew the gun fatties would just…never stop shooting. Whenever they try to shoot I just rush at them and duck dodge their shots, then kick the poo poo out of them.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Is there something I'm missing about this QTE attack?
https://twitter.com/i/status/1160303678169014273
I've only managed to mash out of it twice out of a lot of attempts. Using the same controller I hit ~97 on here https://www.shmupspeed.com/ which I feel like is a pretty OK mash for trying to pass a QTE in a game, and there's been almost no delay between when the attack starts and when my mash starts cause a bunch of times I've already been hitting buttons from as it started up. Tried different buttons, tried all the face buttons :shrug:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
IIRC on Level DIE you have to mash REALLY fast to get thru that attack. Best to just dodge it if at all possible

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
YES I'M DONE I DID IT WOOHOOOOOO
https://twitter.com/i/status/1160319997966729216
:discourse::blastu::anime::goku:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hell yea :stoked:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah can't forget this shot (no timg I don't care I'm celebrating) - the time is off from having to randomly just put the controller down for IRL stuff, but the 779 continues is accurate lol. Includes a lot of long checkpoint or boss fights where I'd start out with getting hit or something and just drop the controller trying to bury the rage.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 10, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
When button mashing in God Hand, it counts any face button press. This means that you actually want to mash all four of the square buttons for maximum button mashing.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
GOD HAND (played through Hard difficulty)
From after they made DMC1 and the Viewtiful Joes, but before they were Platinum and making Bayos.
The good
Unique take on combat for a 3D game, only other thing that jumps out at me in the same vein is Zeno Clash if anyone's ever played those. Great pacing, with levels broken in to short stages with save points between, and checkpoints here and there in the stages if they're long enough. Groovin' music, fun cartoony anime style to everything. When you're wailing on stuff the combat feels pretty dang good and fun; you aren't going to get good punch and kick stuff like this outside of I dunno, Tekken (and maybe Zeno Clash 1&2!). They did pretty OK with how the difficulties work for repeat playthrough runs too. It's LOADED with style and personality, which is really the saving grace cause the bad parts are ROUGH. Whatever the problems are though, they did an excellent job avoiding the most criminal offense - being boring.
The bad
The camera, movement, and controls are all tied together in a way that suuuuuccks sooo bbadddlllyy. Anything outside of 1v1 combat gets exponentially difficult - I'm talking basic actions, like if an enemy is in front of you and you want to safely back off and pick up a health drop that's behind you and at an angle. Other games it's not even a question, you just point the left joystick. Here you tap L1 to do a 180, double-tap left joystick forward to run then aim at item, pick it up, R1 to aim your super move back at the enemy, and triangle to cancel the super. The combat, while the button pressing feels awesome, gets repetetive. Seems like there's room for some styling, but you have to get godlike at the game to not just settle in the same basic flows to avoid getting destroyed. Game is really hard, but mostly for the wrong reasons like a boss doing a big move that puts them in a recovery animation for you to attack, but it's a coin flip if your hit will land or if they'll cancel their recovery animation into either a block or a counterattack. The drop system, and enemies sometimes spawning a much harder enemy when they die just makes for a not of randomness that's kind of interesting but also doesn't feel great a lot of the time. Overall feel of the game would make sense to me in an alternate reality timeline where the Capcom folks LOVED Punch Out, said "but what if 3D.." and made God Hand before taking the lessons learned and moving on to make DMC1.

Giving this one a C. Lots of problems, but lot of memorable good parts. I'd be all over a sequel.

Next up, Assault Spy. Some new low budget indie DMC clone from Japan on Steam, and so far it surprisingly feels really good to play.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

teh_Broseph posted:

Next up, Assault Spy. Some new low budget indie DMC clone from Japan on Steam, and so far it surprisingly feels really good to play.

I bought this on sale a couple months ago but have not touched it yet, let me know how it is

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Assault Spy is pretty good, but the second playable character is more interesting. The dude has a kind of cookie cutter moveset

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestonJew posted:

I bought this on sale a couple months ago but have not touched it yet, let me know how it is
How'd it go with, what was it Bayo 1 or 2 you were checkin' out?

Got to the first credit roll for Assault Spy and it's decent! Think it's gonna be like, the most amazing an indie DMC clone (like, exactly copies a lot of moves and controls) by what looks like basically one person could be. Really barebones and didn't do much new, but there are some cool new moves, the controls feel good, some camera/shader tricks make it look surprisingly good in motion, and it's super streamlined. Limited pretty hard by what it is, but I'm guessing it's gonna play 100x better than some of the other indie stuff on the agenda like X-Blades or whatever. Steam shows me at 8 hours which includes some idle time, and is Normal difficulty of the first character, then second char is a repeat playthrough with story tweaks plus a bonus level. Story doesn't take itself seriously and has some kinda funny lines.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

teh_Broseph posted:

How'd it go with, what was it Bayo 1 or 2 you were checkin' out?

I played 1 and 2 back to back, they're both great games though I think they both pale in comparison to DMC5 imo. Came close to beating Bayonetta 2 on the hardest difficulty until I came across the encounter with 2 Sloths and decided it was time to move on.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Checked out Assault Spy cause I didn't have anything else to play.
It's totally alright. Absolutely shameless DMC ripoff with some new mechanics throws in but it plays fine and for the lack of alternatives it does the job.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestonJew posted:

I played 1 and 2 back to back, they're both great games though I think they both pale in comparison to DMC5 imo. Came close to beating Bayonetta 2 on the hardest difficulty until I came across the encounter with 2 Sloths and decided it was time to move on.

lol worrdd, that sloth fight is total bullshit. Makes me think they balanced DMD around item use, except items feel weird in maybe everything but I guess Ninja Gaiden. In NGB they're there to top off health/mana, and feel a lot like Estus in Souls in that it's very clear how much you get and when/why to use it. Bayo1 follows the trend of DMCs where items are there but maybe really expensive, and ding the crap out of your score as a like, "yeah they're here but you're not really supposed to use them" feel. Then in Bayo2 it's a weird design thing that they don't really ding your score, but there's not like a set quantity you get like in NGB, so maybe there's a stigma around using them cause you can easily farm invincibility items, but then there are some fights like the double sloths where the fight is dumb as shitttt so maybe you're supposed to use items there (I did for sure after a lot of attempts)..but then the fight is bullshit easy? :effort:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It's almost like Bayo 2 has a few really dumb design choices. :ssh:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
honestly even with the items that fight was hard as hell, their tells are just so weird and usually one of them would block my view of the other so I would think I've dodged an attack, go in for some damage and get wrecked by the 2nd one from offscreen

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's almost like Bayo 2 has a few really dumb design choices. :ssh:
:unsmigghh:

I spammed both yellows and reds to stay invincible with damage boost till at least one maybe both were dead. Ya aren't missing much past that, think shortly after is where I hit full on "done with it" truck to the end mode. Stewin' on it some more I guess most of DMD is pretty OK, but once you start hitting that level and on is where they just throw garbage fights in that either scream "I hope you didn't burn all your crafting materials on the money boost to unlock costumes skills faster" or are trash for visibility.

If ya want more and haven't hit up Transformers Devastation yet, try and get your hands on a copy (it came out on PC), it's like Bayo 2 but if it put a smile on your face the more you played it instead of making you want to drop kick it out a window.

Trying to crank through and finish up Assault Spy cause I'm feelin' the Tekken itch; getting repetitive but still feels really good to press buttons in. I'm getting mad framerate drops when I use Devil Trigger if anyone knows what's up with that.
The main/first character has a pretty neat take on Nero-ish timing/just frame attacks and combo routes.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1162548103423168512
Check out the flash on the briefcase. If you dash, or combo Y-Y-pause, or air Y-Y-Y-pause, you get that flash. There are some moves that if instead of doing raw, you just frame it during that flash you get an EX version with extra hits and/or damage.
Also all 4 (more like 3) of your attack buttons can be charged for both ground and air release moves, which also have just frame versions:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1162547393075830786
Yeah, the shameless DMC ripping off is no exaggeration. That's OK though, it's ripped off very well. So what's pretty neat on the dev's take of it is you have Y light attack which can be charged for 2 levels of a projectile, B attack for misc launcher helm breaker etc., R2 slower sweeping katana-like attacks that deflect projectiles, and R1 to throw out an assist to either taunt mobs or juggle an enemy back to you for a combo extension - plus a few button combos like B+Y for a short range Nero-like kind of grab. It makes for an interesting mixup of Dante, Nero, and Vergil wrapped up with all this emphasis on combo routes, timing, and charging to do everything and keep the damage up.
I don't remember what the default buttons are, what I said above is remapped cause the out of the box settings get pretty rough once most of the movelist is unlocked.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 20, 2019

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You bet your rear end the first thing I did in Assault Spy was to remap all the controls so that the dedicated dodge button was on RB (instead of X) as god intended.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I beat Assault Spy on Normal with one of the characters. It took me about 4 hours.
I'm definitely going to beat the game again with the second character (she plays way different) and then maybe even dip my toes into higher difficulties.

The enemy variety is kind of lacking, the camera loving sucks and I've had several occasions of my character attacking 180 degrees away from the enemy I'm looking at AND pointing my stick towards, but all in all it's a pretty enjoyable DMC rip-off with a bunch of neatly remixed mechanics.
Definitely recommend getting it if you're out of Spectacle Fighters to play and are able to stomach extreme amounts of anime.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
SoS credit roll knocked out, woo, into the first 20 minutes of DMD. They even call it "Spy Must Die" when you unlock it, but not on the main menu lol. This thing with activating Devil Trigger destroying my framerate is gonna be a real problem now and I think I'm gonna have to play in a lower windows res to get around it (even though CPU/GPU usage hangs out around 40%, some kind of bug I guess?), booo.

The second runthrough was better - the enemy variety was gonna be a big sticking point for me too, but the encounters in SoS (and looks like again in DMD) are wayyy different, with better enemies showing up everywhere that I barely remember being there period in Normal. Plus the usual DMC fun thing of finishing up unlocking your movelist and getting practice with it so you can start slam dunking everything.

Are you using lock-on at all? I get some of that slippery control stuff too where I'll just whiff a bunch of point blank attacks and haven't figured out why it sucks sometimes. I'm not using lock-on at all cause I'm just in the habit of not in these games but wonder if that would help.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

teh_Broseph posted:

SoS credit roll knocked out, woo, into the first 20 minutes of DMD. They even call it "Spy Must Die" when you unlock it, but not on the main menu lol. This thing with activating Devil Trigger destroying my framerate is gonna be a real problem now and I think I'm gonna have to play in a lower windows res to get around it (even though CPU/GPU usage hangs out around 40%, some kind of bug I guess?), booo.

The second runthrough was better - the enemy variety was gonna be a big sticking point for me too, but the encounters in SoS (and looks like again in DMD) are wayyy different, with better enemies showing up everywhere that I barely remember being there period in Normal. Plus the usual DMC fun thing of finishing up unlocking your movelist and getting practice with it so you can start slam dunking everything.

Are you using lock-on at all? I get some of that slippery control stuff too where I'll just whiff a bunch of point blank attacks and haven't figured out why it sucks sometimes. I'm not using lock-on at all cause I'm just in the habit of not in these games but wonder if that would help.

Have you tried lowering the Shadows and Post-Processing from Ultra down or High or Medium? It solved my occasional frame drops.

I'm using lock-on but only against bosses or when I can remember it exists. I've had the character turn around 180 degrees and do the attack even when I was using lock on and there was only one enemy left so I think it's just occasionally bugged.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I resorted to knocking it down a couple res notches (which does windowed mode, so no more Shadowplay captures) and Post Processing to high. It's weird cause at 1440p even with resolution scaling set to 0% and all settings to low, framerate still takes a nosedive during devil trigger, but knock the actual res down just a little bit and put everything back to max and it's butter smooth the entire time.

A big plus imo and really unique thing Assault Spy has going for it..that feels weird to even say it's unique..is the combat room layouts. What I'm remembering offhand is most of the combat in other games takes place in what's mechanically just an empty square/circle of varying size to adjust how much you can or can't run away. AS has a lot of different layouts where it puts (minor) elevation differences, walls, and hazards to mix things up. You have to get some familiarity and practice with your different aerial and traversal moves to keep up your damage, combos, and crowd control. It doesn't have the fancy window dressing other games do of the Lava world, and the Ice world, etc., but mechanically there's a lot of room variety, and the different levels kind of have themes of what hazards and layouts are used. E.g. there's:

Cubicle world, which has a lot of blocks/walls/corridors. Smartly they're all jumpable and some are breakable glass.

Roof world, which you can knock enemies off of. You don't take damage for falling off which I disagree with in theory, but also the camera and controls can be slippery sometimes so that would have to be polished up before making it cost you to fall off anyway.

There are also lasers that damage you or you can knock the enemies in to for an instakill, and land mines that you have to just frame dodge out of if you step on. It's all really nicely done since they're not strictly negative. Like if the roof stage you were easily knocked off and took damage/died and the enemies were hard to knock off, it would be Air Man all over again and incredibly annoying. But there are enough potential positives for the player it turns in to another mini game piece. Same for the walls in the way that can be used as cover or to split up enemies and traversed over, or the lasers that damage you but line up the right combo to use them for quick kills. I don't think any of it is overdone, usually the gimmicks show up for a couple rooms then it changes to something else. Big props to Wazen (the dev) for this part, cause what other games really do much at all with combat room layouts? I have a lot to play/replay still, but coming to mind is like..a little bit in DMC1-3? Some in Ninja Gaiden Black?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
And another one down..

Assault Spy (played through Extreme difficulty)
Credited as a solo project by "Wazen" from Japan (with support from other people/groups), an indie DMC-alike.
The good
Straightforwardly cribs a lot from DMC, but does it well. Nice spin on remixing the moves/characters. Mechanically the level design is amazing! Makes other games look bad on that front imo. Lots of smart touches all over the place; you can tell the dev was taking notes when playing other action games. Assault Spy is all about the combat, focuses heavily on it, and is better for it. (To re-iterate, the combat is a LOT like DMCs.) Surprisingly nice graphics with some flashy bits - not a lot there for models and poly count etc., but very clean looking. No unskippable cutscenes!
The bad
Really just what comes along with it being what must've been a passion project on a shoestring budget. The controls can get a little slippery. The whole thing is pretty short, and there's not much to it outside the combat. Some minor bugs pop up (rarely), and there's the occasional hitbox or timing where you aren't sure if it was you or the game being wonky.

:argh: When the controls wig out a bit, or when timing for dodges and counterattacks doesn't /quite/ feel right 100% of the time, especially with the 2nd character.

Another C here. Fantastic gameplay, just not much depth.

That one was p good. Looks like it's on sale for $13.49 after coupon code over at Fanatical (cheapshark link) which is a great price point for it imo. I hope it's a springboard for the dev to get hired on somewhere or funding to make a sequel or something with 10x the budget. There really were a ton of smart choices to maximize project resources.
Next up I think I need to scratch the Tekken itch some, and it's a coin flip between garbage X-Blades or Marlow Briggs; probably run through 'em both before moving on to a known Modern Good™ game, Nioh. Astral Chain is on my mind, but I'm kinda chillin on it, seeing if the library can get it, and see what other goons have to say about it (hopefully in here!).

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
What do you mean Assault Spy cribs DMC? Well,
https://twitter.com/i/status/1165096924254482432
e: And yes, the move "Elite Step - Uses your enemy as a step to jump off. A skill that can only be used by an elite spy." allows jump cancelling :v:

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 24, 2019

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

did yall get the true ending for assault spy?
because amelia as a character is cooler by a lot than the regular guy and the true ending finale area has such a cool mechanic that i'm surprised didn't make it into other stylish action games

https://twitter.com/tab_dmc/status/1047682863234277376

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DMCV's V just sucks, dont he? Like its a character concept that has never really worked and it... still doesnt work here.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I would probably like V more if he was a character in an action rpg. His style would work really well in a game like FFXV or something.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Barudak posted:

DMCV's V just sucks, dont he? Like its a character concept that has never really worked and it... still doesnt work here.

No we’ve had a couple videos posted in the thread that prove that V can definitely hang with the boys, you just have to play him radically differently and use him as more of a zoning character.

His biggest issues are that he doesn’t have as many intricate lines of play as Nero/Dante, and that his Devil Trigger doesn’t scale as well as theirs because on higher difficulties you have to rely on Nightmare to make space and clean up rooms a little too often.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really liked playing V, I just wish he had more moves.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Having just bought and finished DMC5(it the first two difficulty levels, do I have a lot left) V really is the worst, and it's pretty odd that his cane works on bosses but not on regular mobs since it makes bosses a lot better than the chaff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hel posted:

it's pretty odd that his cane works on bosses but not on regular mobs since it makes bosses a lot better than the chaff.

Que?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think V really needed at least one more upgrade. I honestly thought he was going to get one after what turned out to be his last level.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Just striking with his cane bounces of regular enemies (unless they can be finished) but deals decent damage to bosses.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hel posted:

Just striking with his cane bounces of regular enemies (unless they can be finished) but deals decent damage to bosses.

I'm really not sure why you would do that when you've got 3 other, much better damage sources.
I only used the cane strikes for clashing when I was feeling saucy.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hel posted:

This is less damage than cane JC on big bodies btw

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Jack Trades posted:

I'm really not sure why you would do that when you've got 3 other, much better damage sources.
I only used the cane strikes for clashing when I was feeling saucy.

Because the thing with V is that you aren't picking one or the other you are doing everything in addition.

That is probably the source of a lot of the problems, you can't really have too many moves if you are handling 4ish characters at the same time. The other characters are just doing one thing after another plus charging guns & breakers whereas with V you can make multiple moves at the same time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I really enjoyed V a bunch but he feels dearly lacking compared to Nero’s endgame abilities and Devil breakers, or any of the ludicrous poo poo Dante can pull off. I also thought he’d unlock some cool AoE spells or something.

Also having just plowed through DMC 1 on my Switch, not having Phantom is super noticeable and there is no satisfactory reason in or out of game that we didn’t get Phantom as a middle ground between Shadow and Nightmare, like a slower and heavier normal summon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vs moveset feels really limited in terms of moveset, reliant on not particularly interesting zoning setups*, has a secondary penalty beyond health loss that needs to be juggled where the penalty is "the game becomes boring for a little bit", some occasional issues surrounding his deathblow mechanic not functioning properly, and needs the AI to work correctly in addition to your inputs because sometimes it just hasnt got the interest.

Oh and he has stage segments with forced slow walking so even ignoring or correcting me on all of the above hes the worst.

*Maybe Im missing something but as someone whose beaten the previous games through DMD difficulty (fuuuuck hell or hell) Im not seeing anything I want to explore more on a second pass and his existence is 50% the reason im probably going to bin this after one playthrough.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
While V is just ok Nero and Dante are more fun to play as than they've ever been, I had a blast playing with them through DMD