Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You miss out on the best duel in the series by not playing on SoS and DMD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean even if you don’t like V if you beat every other game on DMD this is literally the best and most fun Dante and Nero have ever been.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I actually like Dante and Nero mechanically less than I did in 4*, so compounding that with how unfun V is to play, Urizen being a chore to fight and you do it multiple times, and how gosh-darn ugly and bad the level layouts are for huge swathes of the game I just don't have the energy in me to want to play this more than once.

*This is purely a personal thing, I can 100% see why other people love these incarnations more than past ones.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I also feel like the games environments are a huge step backward from the vivid colors of 4

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
:cawg:
Oh god is this karma for talking poo poo about God Hand..X-Blades is bad, so bad. :negative:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1165729738851311616
Small enemies that melee attacks just whiff over, almost no feedback for landing or taking hits, good lord Tron was a league above this lol. It's hard to tell what's going on; reminds me of EYE except if EYE had nothing going for it. Not even just in the genre, I can't remember the last time I played a game this bland period, like maybe when I would just rent every single thing on the shelf back in NES/SNES days? It's sooo borringg. Even doing a double jump is janky.

Hey couple favors purty pleeassee? If anyone could post some sick DMCV webm or mp4 or whatever that's embeddable I could replace that not great and busted last link in the OP with it'd be great. Also been on my mind to try and find some timeline of action games released image that was posted..maybe in the DMCV thread a while ago? Be groovy to just see it again, and would be good OP material.

Some more Astral Chain footage popped up that kind of just reinforces what I'm already thinkin' bout the game. Flashy cool looking move and combo stuff the player is showing off yayyyy. Enemies doing like 2 simple attacks and the person took like 3 minutes to kill them boooo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDNCz1uORjg Astral Chain: S+ Rank On Ultimate Difficulty Gameplay

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teh_Broseph posted:

:cawg:
Oh god is this karma for talking poo poo about God Hand..X-Blades is bad, so bad. :negative:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1165729738851311616
Small enemies that melee attacks just whiff over, almost no feedback for landing or taking hits, good lord Tron was a league above this lol. It's hard to tell what's going on; reminds me of EYE except if EYE had nothing going for it. Not even just in the genre, I can't remember the last time I played a game this bland period, like maybe when I would just rent every single thing on the shelf back in NES/SNES days? It's sooo borringg. Even doing a double jump is janky.

Hey couple favors purty pleeassee? If anyone could post some sick DMCV webm or mp4 or whatever that's embeddable I could replace that not great and busted last link in the OP with it'd be great. Also been on my mind to try and find some timeline of action games released image that was posted..maybe in the DMCV thread a while ago? Be groovy to just see it again, and would be good OP material.

Some more Astral Chain footage popped up that kind of just reinforces what I'm already thinkin' bout the game. Flashy cool looking move and combo stuff the player is showing off yayyyy. Enemies doing like 2 simple attacks and the person took like 3 minutes to kill them boooo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDNCz1uORjg Astral Chain: S+ Rank On Ultimate Difficulty Gameplay

this is giving me severe lost kingdom vibes

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Wow this game, good lord. I found the answer to the question no one ever asked: "What if DMC2 released, but was worse?"
When I glanced at videos before putting it on the list I thought hey well at MINIMUM it'll be cool to mash melee and swing swords around.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1166055276866416640
OK well the aerial enemies and shooting will add an engaging element then right? Let's play a game of see how far into this clip you make it, then imagine actually playing it.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1166057272306491392
Boss fights against big creatures! At least those will be good!
https://twitter.com/i/status/1166055920608186374
Took me a bit to realize getting close to the spider (from any side) made that black squiggly stuff shoot out for hella DoT and slowdown, so melee is out as an option, always fun in hack n' slash games right. So time to figure out the interesting mechanics they created for this boss!
https://twitter.com/i/status/1166056421395484680
K so shoot fireballs at it which is the elemental weakness, nice, got this. Wait but there are little flying things that block shots so have to gun them down first. Then fireballs cost mana so have to wail on the adds a bit to get mana back, then back to more fireba-wait the flying shield things respawn pretty quick. And gotta stay moving the whole time cause the big spider shoots the purple beams every ~4s. But it's weak to fire per the Bestiary menu and there's this whole gimmick thing so the fire spell will do hella damage right? Oh.
Well how about the cutscenes and characters and stuff, that'll be the saving grace
https://twitter.com/i/status/1166056840456757249
:eng99::suicide:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

somehow all these years i've managed to avoid knowing she has a gun/guns

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My biggest V annoyance was the multi-second button hold moves on face buttons. It's a problem with DMC in general but he's by far the worst. I don't have a problem with being able to charge some moves while executing others, but I feel like it's a control design failure if I can gain a massive advantage by remapping them in a weird way.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 26, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The voice acting in that cut scene seems like goofy fun at least. Reminds me of old PS1-Era voice acting!

But yeah X-Blades was not great, there's a reason they leaned so heavily on the protag's sexualization in the marketing.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
It was easier to figure out the spider boss gimmick cause it's the SAME THING ON MOST OF THE BOSSES MAYBE?? uuugguhghhhh. Check out a cycle of this one:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1166069416943116290
Boss is invincible while the adds are alive, kill them first to do damage. But they all respawn independently and on a pretty quick timer so you have to kill them at the same time by herding them around a crystal that'll freeze them so your AoE does a lot more damage. That bonus damage isn't enough though so you have to do it twice (if you're lucky). You have to wait on the freeze crystal to respawn to use it again. Also you need lots of mana for the AoE, plus mana to activate fire bullets so you can do noticeable damage to the boss, which means running over to one of the respawning red mana crystals to refill - your main source of mana is usually melee attacks, but that would mess with the whole boss invincibility respawn timer thing if you accidentally killed something. Then once the whole cycle lines up check out the damage you can take off before the adds pop back - 14% or so? And that was a good cycle where I didn't have stragglers where the janky freeze missed an add or something. Oh and the boss also does the same purple beam shot every 4s that maayyyy be a recurring theme. I feel bad for their QA team.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please don't play X-Blades. I got a copy for £3.50 and felt ripped off.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Sakurazuka posted:

Please don't play X-Blades. I got a copy for £3.50 and felt ripped off.

I pirated the game way back and I felt cheated. I couldnt stomach the game past the first level

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm thinkin' the break even point on X-Blades cost-wise is if you were paid..$30? to play it. Finished it up and :torygov:
It's actually perfect timing to have played it right after Assault Spy. Cause where AS is excellent at maximizing making a good fun well thought out game from the resources they were working with, X-Blades is a goddamn masterclass at gamedesign.txt how to make every single thing bad. Bear with me on this, here's the flow of a game where you do everything wrong. It's interesting to see imo for the good games, getting a peek at how many things they really do get right.

Level starts, combat room, so you start with attacking - Melee is bad DPS, guns do almost as much a la DMC2. Use melee to refill meter and spam the strongest meter ability you have at the time. Sometimes just holding shoot for literal minutes straight is the fastest option. Most unlockable abilities are less effective than just holding shoot or using the first ability you unlock for AoE. Some enemies you can only damage by doing the ice/fire/light/dark opposite game of picking which color fireball to shoot at them (for minutes straight). There are no combos or special moves. Well technically you can unlock some slightly different attack animations or something but they're extremely difficult to execute and don't seem to be any different functionally from the basic Attack-Attack-Attack combo. Oh I almost forgot, you get 2 other types of gunshots about halfway through - a faster shooting but inaccurate mode, and a charge up mode. They're both useless.
But in combat, what about defending - Enemy damage is so low and health refills between fights so dodging, defensive maneuvering, etc. doesn't matter as much as just trying to melee enemies to get mana to use your best ability and end the fight. Sometimes taking damage to get meter to use your best ability is more effective than attacking. There is a really awkward roll you do by holding lock on with L2 then tapping the right stick left or right (right stick being only for camera control otherwise), but it appears to not be invincible, and just doesn't help. There's a teleport dodge that costs meter you can unlock that has too much recovery time to be useful that upgrades to do damage to anything you dash through which ends up being a net meter gain, but again it doesn't matter because mashing melee until you have meter to do your AoE will kill things faster than they kill you anyway so there's no reason to dodge outside of a couple specific enemies.
Super basic offense/defense, what about the encounters? - Minutes of the same 2-3 enemy types spawning in the combat rooms. There's an OK spread of enemy models and animations and all, but to actually fight them, effectively all you do is either melee till you can use current best AoE ability, or hold shoot, or charge up and spam your best projectile ability. There's some surface level variety but nearly every encounter is a combat room with WAAYYYY too many respawns.
What rewards are there for gitting gud at combat? - There's a combo meter that just counts up for doing melee attacks and every 10 hits gets a new "EXCELLENT" or whatever name along with a cash multiplier. But the timer is really short, the only way to keep it going is to keep mashing the basic attack, sometimes it just drops..maybe from getting hit? but you can't dodge or anything either cause then you'll drop the combo. The cash multiplier effectively doesn't matter because the combo gauge disappears real quick when you stop swinging your swords, and it's hard to actually kill things with your swords, so you aren't actually getting cash to be multiplied until you stop using your swords which ends the combo. (And currency gain is a badly implemented system anyway, so the combo gauge really doesn't matter.)
After the fight, what's in the world to break it up before the next one? - For exploration there are coins and breakables that drop coins and upgrades spread throughout the level. The breakables take multiple hits and sometimes have bad hitboxes you have to attack from the right angle to break them, and there's no skill jumps or anything to pick things up, there will just be a big empty area that would take easily 2 minutes to walk around picking up every coin and breaking every box. There are a LOT, like 30+ coin pickups and 50+ breakables. Luckily, it doesn't actually do anything useful so you can just ignore it.
What does the currency you picked up do? - First broken part about currency is it scales. A LOT. Get a coin pickup in level 1 and it'll give you one to five "souls". Same coin pickup just laying around the map at midgame, now it's worth 10k, then at endgame 100k. I think they tried to do that for pacing of what to spend it on, but it's a terrible implementation as you can ignore even thinking about it since enemies will drop PLENTY of cash to get you the handful of unlocks that are worth it.
OK what do you spend it on? - You can buy abilities that become available at different parts of the story. But again, most are either recolored sidegrades, not as good as your basic guns and first unlocked ability, or a hard requirement like when you come across an ice elemental you HAVE to unlock the fireball to damage it kind of stuff. Half of the abilities are recolors of each other for the elemental thing which really only matters for 2 specific types of enemies where you have to pick the opposite color ball to shoot at them. You can also buy a health regen passive that makes the game even easier, upgrade your Devil Trigger to last longer, and straight up health/mana refills from the menu. The health and mana refills start at an almost 0 cost then double with each use, but thanks to the whack currency scaling by the time you mayyy run in to enough problems to warrant using the refills you have plenty of cash to do it as much as you want.
Non-cash upgrades for pickup on the maps? - You can find items on the maps to add combo moves, increase your gun damage, and add aerial attacks. Everything sucks and isn't worth the time to even pick them up. Except the shooting upgrades, cause the final enemy before the last boss only takes damage from doing a melee-melee-shoot combo that is unlocked from the gun upgrades so maybe that's a requirement to get? Not super sure, and I didn't notice any particular difference in melee or gun damage after upgrades. You can also upgrade your DT form to last longer, but while you attack and shoot faster and (some?) abilities cost less meter, you don't regain meter from sword attacks. And again, most of your DPS comes from spamming your best meter ability so since you don't regain meter normally, DT form is only even worth using in a few certain cases where you're only using guns, or buying the mana refill from the menu.
Get through the level loop of encounters and exploration, then comes the boss fight. These are all slight (and I mean slight) variations of 1) Run in circle to dodge a shot every four seconds, 2) Kill adds, 3) Spam whatever color ball projectile the boss is "weak" to, 4) Repeat for minutes. Like the bosses are invincible to everything except the right color fireball, and will only take damage from it when their adds are dead. Still, taking damage isn't a big deal as long as you keep up your mana generation and spam the right attack ability, so you don't need to learn any attack patterns or timings or anything, just accept that there's only one move you can use the whole fight.
Rinse. Repeat. :suicide:
Replayability? - No new game+, nothing carries over to new playthroughs. I skipped Hard and went to Pro difficulty (highest), and the ONLY difference I noticed was maybe I took a little more damage and I'm not even 100% sure about that (save file shows the difficulty so I definitely picked it). Wouldn't be surprised if difficulties were either bugged or health/damage numbers were only adjusted by an unnoticeable percentage. 2 costumes unlock - one that gives you the buyable health regen upgrade, and one that reduces incoming damage. They are both pretty OK, but the game is easy enough it doesn't really matter anyway.

There's a pretty dang decent amount of stuff that's actually IN the game. It's just ALL BAD. They spent a lot of dev resources creating and implementing all these things that are either neutral or make the game worse and less fun than if they just gutted all of that and made it play more like a basic arcade beat 'em up. It's like they had a requirement checklist of things that HAD to be in based on other hack 'n slashes, then implemented all of them poorly. I thought Tron was bad but gaawwwdd. This one was like playing DMC2, except if you took all the good things out of it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
X-Blades (played through Pro difficulty)
From the developers of..wait what? IL-2 Sturmovik and War Thunder? 2007 release date, slotting it between DMC3 and 4.
The good
There's an attempt at what could be an interesting system of using melee to build meter for special moves. Once you learn to ignore collectibles, game's pretty compact and focused. Some of the graphics, animations, color palettes, and enemy models are OK and have variety and pop.
The bad
Everything else. Like, for real. It's super boring and bad and grindingly repetitive.

:argh: GRINDING. REPETITION. Cutscenes are easily skippable on accident.
:yikes: "Do your parents know you're here?" an NPC asks of the barely clothed main character the marketing relied on.

A solid F. What's the opposite of S tier? Completely awful.

Couple video captures to poke through and clean up from X-Blades, and it's on to Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death which I'm kind of excited about.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
:siren: Astral Chain is out!:siren:
I'll have to bookmark the Switch thread again. Any feedback here be groovy too if anyone's playing it. Rumor goes toilets are an integral gameplay component.

Also :siren: there's an actual good interesting unique thing in X-Blades! One of the flying enemies, if you decide to let go of R2 for some reason and let em chill, they'll do this sick attack too powerful for even video capture
https://twitter.com/i/status/1167141295086870529
There's like, one level after you unlock some abilities but before you unlock the godlike chain lightning that erases everything, where you can kind of get a glimpse of what the combat they were trying to implement might look like
https://twitter.com/i/status/1166372005530296320
Back to the bad stuff, one more dump and I'll shut up about this dumb poo poo
This section lasts FIVE MINUTES and is stupidly boring, and at the end in both playthroughs I missed the cutscene at the end cause I tried to jump but pressing a button skips cutscenes immediately, and I guess one of the only 3 characters in the game was introduced there.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1167139992243773440
Here's the final boss on Pro difficulty, where I missed what the "good" ending was cause again, accidentally skipped
https://twitter.com/i/status/1167064558512553984
This is an actual attack one of the bosses has lol
https://twitter.com/i/status/1167140669657407489
This looks like an intro to the game tutorial stage, but it's actually the dedicated solo enemy level right before you walk in to the final boss (if you can't see it, there's a tutorial message there saying you can only hurt that enemy doing an X-X-RT combo)
https://twitter.com/i/status/1167140337049133057

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 29, 2019

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Since the DMC5 thread is dead, I figured this would be the best place to give this some attention:

https://youtu.be/xvRqxeaeeew

This is a "High Score" run of Nero's Bloody Palace in DMC5, something I haven't really seen much of. Much more interesting to me than just a raw speedrun, a High Score run means you have to balance style and efficiency. The "score" is measured in bonus time. You get time by killing enemies; the higher your style rank when you kill them, the more bonus time you'll get, but of course, it takes time to get a high style rank, so you have to be both stylish and quick. You also get a small bonus for finishing floors without taking damage, so the ideal run is one where, on every floor, you quickly achieve SSS style without killing anything, and then very quickly kill everything without dropping rank or getting hit.

This guy has figured out how to do that. Very well. When I did Bloody Palace, I finished with about an hour and a half of bonus time. The current world record speedrun finishes with 3 hours and 5 minutes. This guy's final time? 4 hours, 13 minutes, 22 seconds. :supaburn:

It's even more impressive as Nero, because it means on top of the challenge of just doing the palace with these parameters, he also has to perfectly ration Nero's limited arm supply for each set of ten floors and for the palace overall (note how at the end, he starts stockpiling Buster Arms for the final fights).

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
That was extremely good. Thanks for sharing it.

My favorite was planting an Overture bomb in a berserker, knocking it back, and then setting off the bomb when it charged back toward its friends.

Also immediately running up and dropkicking the final boss.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
First playthrough of Marlow Briggs is done, and :shrug:. Has Easy/Normal/Hard/Hardcore, but no ng+ so I'm skipping Hard and have started a Hardcore run. Ho-hum overall, but a few neat things jumped out. Some nice style and I'm sure big savings on budget allocation was a lot of cutscenes do this slow camera pan freeze frame thing that's too long to gif, check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqlXhUy_6RM&t=228s. The pacing is pretty good, combat broken up with short SNES platformer mine cart type segments (autoscroller where you tap left/right to dodge things), first person turret shooter segments, and even shmup stuff! (Capture flipped out some so stealing clips from Youtube.)
https://twitter.com/i/status/1171069786652123136
Credit roll gets a minigame too
https://twitter.com/i/status/1171070185098399745
I'm not thrilled about kicking off Hardcore; got the feeling pretty quick it's gonna be HP sponge enemies that it's best to use the same 2 moves and 3 hit combo on for the whole game. The between combat minigame stages and traversal stuff will be nice to break it up and while not interesting, at least it's all short and simple to help with repetitiveness. Like, I don't think it's gonna actively make me hate it to play through again on hardest which is more than I can say for some other games lol.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
And boom there's Marlow Briggs done, that hardest playthrough was quick.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death (played through Hardest difficulty)
Developed by now defunct Zootfly, released September 2013
The good
Graphics, characters, script, and gameplay have this nice cohesive laid back 80's action movie meets God of War meets Tomb Raider/Uncharted feel. Weapons and combos look kind of groovy, pretty great pacing with a spread of combat, platforming, and minigames. Some nice QoL touches like quick checkpoints, tells you what all the combos are (supposedly) good for, e.g. "Heavy single target damage" and gives some bonus XP for doing a quick training runthrough of the combos.
The bad
Mile wide inch deep. There's a lot in the game, but each piece isn't particularly compelling. They don't have down the less-obvious things that make combat good, like good iframes, hitboxes, and damage output. No NG+ and highest difficulty only cranks the health/damage knobs high enough to show the massive imbalance/gaps in the moveset - no point in playing past Normal.

:argh: Nothing that super got on my nerves actually, big props there.

C- Has a lot going for it, just not quite enough in some spots that count for a lot. Definitely worth a playthrough if it was 15+ years ago and we didn't have a billion awesome games coming out all the time to play, but eh, most everything else I've gone through has been better.

My big takeaway for the "What do Good™ games do right?" question was how if you don't put in good windows for iframes on dodges and other animations, attack timings between enemy animations, and hitstun and hitstop combat starts to feel real bad and cheap real quick. (And Marlow whiffed on about all of it.) Next up, I need to loop back around to at least one newer Good™ game so it's time for

:getin:
I'll load it up enough to at least check out the menus and all today. I basically avoided hearing anything about it when it came out knowing I'd get around to it sometime - anything big I need to know before diving in, like is there a certain difficulty level I should or shouldn't do, or broken DLC items, etc.?

PS Tekken owns, play Tekken

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Nioh's great, I finally beat it and the DLC a week ago after owning the game for like a year. You only have access to 1 difficulty mode in the beginning, the rest are NG+ options. For your first playthrough you can do pretty much whatever you want build/equipment wise, the only recommendation I'd have is to slowly level up your Dexterity and Magic to at least 20 before the end of the game, even if you don't use them that much, so you can unlock the training missions that give you access to all the ninjutsu/magic in the game.

And before you tackle the DLC do a mission or 2 in NG+, it's a big difficulty jump from the base game and they kind of expect you to have some NG+ gear going into it, even on the base difficulty.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
On your first playthtough you can completely ignore the loot system and just use stuff that has big numbers.

Magic, Dexterity and Spirit should be your priority at first and whatever stat that your weapon uses.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's the correct way to use Taunt in DMCV to gain the most Style?
I remember there was several speculations about that in the DMCV thread, something about how it only gave you a meaningful amount of style in certain situations, but I don't remember what was agreed upon in the end.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The correct way to taunt as Nero is to use a level 3 charge shot and taunt while you're waiting for the explosion

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's eerie how many times I've gotten good timing on the charge shot explosion and Nero taunting, especially the one where he spins his gun, points it forward, and goes "Bang!"

Vakal
May 11, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTEGUlAE_Yo

Brandon Heat-Ah!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

A very nice surprise.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/siliconera/status/1173170961354383366

Nioh 2 beta from Nov 1st to 10th on PS4.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I should finish Nioh 1, but it got pretty hard at the end and the lack of enemy variety past the first 5 missions slowly drove me to lose interest.

Combat was great though.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I just couldn't get into nioh the way I got into the souls games. The grinding for randomly generated equipment was really not what I wanted. Combat was okay.

Everything I wanted from nioh I got from sekiro (except different weapons). I think it has the best combat of any game I've played in at least a decade? The posture/parry mechanics really helps to deal with the "waiting to react to an enemy" problem a lot of games combat systems have.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Zaphod42 posted:

I should finish Nioh 1, but it got pretty hard at the end and the lack of enemy variety past the first 5 missions slowly drove me to lose interest.

Combat was great though.

they really seem to be focusing on enemy and boss variety for Nioh 2, so I'm hopeful for that. Hoping they add some new weapons though, I tried the dual hatchets in the alpha and they were pretty underwhelming.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I bounced off Nioh at first because I was playing it like a souls game but then I learned how to do Double Flux and started playing it more like a spectacle fighter and suddenly it became way more fun.

The only part I didn't like was the diablo style loot. Hoping that Nioh 2 will tone it down a little (it probably won't).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nioh’s loot needlessly bogged the game down. They should’ve just given you fixed rewards at the end of each level and then activated the loot system after you beat it, because it’s just an interminable slog throughout the entire game for such a deceptively simple system.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I kind of liked the loot system of Nioh, but my brain is broken and I really like seeing numbers go up, and the game would have been perfectly fine without it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

I bounced off Nioh at first because I was playing it like a souls game but then I learned how to do Double Flux and started playing it more like a spectacle fighter and suddenly it became way more fun.

The only part I didn't like was the diablo style loot. Hoping that Nioh 2 will tone it down a little (it probably won't).
For all 10 of you reading the thread, I'm still doin' my thing! I'm in the wombo combo of my schedule and free time got fuckzilla'd, and it happens to be when I'm playing Nioh which good god is long. I'm kind of love hate on this one too. I'm having fun, and really dig the world. Graphics, environment, animation stuff do a lot for me and how they do all that is way up my alley. On the other hand I'm a lot of hours in having just gone through the main missions to the first credit roll, starting out the NG+ playthrough, and still feel like I'm unlocking the gear and skills to actually have fully fleshed out mechanics to play with. Which to be this many hours in is just, gently caress you. Then add on how punishing everything is which slows down progress and learning patterns it's a double gently caress you. To generally gauge mechanics I like to imagine them in DMCV - like what if in DMCV the first playthrough on DH kept the same pace of skill unlocks by the credits but it took 5 times as long to finish, and if Nero's Exceed instead of a bonus was always maxed but if you messed up the tap timing you couldn't jump or attack for a sec, and on DH your health bar was 1/5th the size. I think the bones are there that it's fair to compare Nioh to DMC-likes as opposed to just being a Souls, it just takes a whiilllee to get there. At least while my schedule sucks I kind of want to hop to something shorter to keep me on pace on the list, but Nioh is pretty groovy and I think I'm close to really having fun with it; plus if I swap off now god knows how long till I actually picked it back up to keep trucking.

Bust Rodd posted:

Nioh’s loot needlessly bogged the game down. They should’ve just given you fixed rewards at the end of each level and then activated the loot system after you beat it, because it’s just an interminable slog throughout the entire game for such a deceptively simple system.

CharlestonJew posted:

I kind of liked the loot system of Nioh, but my brain is broken and I really like seeing numbers go up, and the game would have been perfectly fine without it.
Hopefully it's good in 2! I usually like builds and numbers and stuff in games, there just feels like so much in this. I'll kill a boss, be all in the zone to hack and slash, then WAIT gotta feel optimal and go in one menu set to compare equipment drops for eleven slots, check usable items for hair, another menu set to decide to scrap/sell/donate items, pick stats to level up, back to the other menu set to spend skill points from leveling up, and maybe back to the other menus to equip the items from spending points. The true end of level boss.

e: Oh and thanks Jack that helped me keep goin when I was thinking about switching off the game early for being too Soulsey

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 9, 2019

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

I liked it because I could do the interminable build of "shoot them with a matchlock for massive damage and then switch to the kusarigama that never runs out of ki"

the magic in particular was underwhelming, save for absolutely saving up for the slowing spell

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/_EcW7IPb-yo

This is the specific video that made me pick up Nioh because knowing all that turns the game into a sort of spectacle fighter instead of your usual souls-like.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I’m not sure if it really “counts” as a spectacle fighter, but Vanquish definitely scratches a lot of the same itches. High technical skill ceiling, super stylish, hardest difficulty requires tons of advanced technics to really get through, etc.

If you're looking for a shorter game, the main campaign is something like 4 or 5 hours, so it's real quick to get through and get to the harder difficulties, too.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

CodfishCartographer posted:

I’m not sure if it really “counts” as a spectacle fighter, but Vanquish definitely scratches a lot of the same itches. High technical skill ceiling, super stylish, hardest difficulty requires tons of advanced technics to really get through, etc.

If you're looking for a shorter game, the main campaign is something like 4 or 5 hours, so it's real quick to get through and get to the harder difficulties, too.

It's a Platinum game. It drat well better count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maybe I missed some kind of mechanic, in which case I'd be willing to give it another shot, but I quickly dropped Vanquish after realizing that the game really wanted to me to constantly switch playing a spectacle fighter and "playing" a cover shooter by loving waiting behind god drat cover until my Fun Meter recharges, without giving me any skillful way of restoring it myself like literally every other spectacle fighter with a meter bar does.

Like, come the gently caress on, why couldn't they at the very least give me meter back based on the score I was getting by playing good and only punishing me with having to wait behind cover if I didn't play good enough?! I hope whoever designed that system was shamed and never allowed to design another game.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 10, 2019