Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

When I think of Vanquish i think of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tysaJyJ1hA

It's Platinum's take on 3rd person shooters. I didn't come to it looking for anything else than to shoot poo poo and it being cool so I was pleased. It having a cool shotgun and a fast reload glitch was a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX2p9oJSm-w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RBX posted:

When I think of Vanquish i think of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tysaJyJ1hA

That's pretty much what the game appeared to be. A cool cover shooter but an incredibly lackluster spectacle fighter.
Not my cup of tea.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Vanquish didn't do it for me either. Thought it looked cool, but loading it up I dunno, just didn't scratch the itch; did the last 1/4 or so of the game by bumping it down to easy and strolling through with the heat-using-laser-beam thing. :smith:

Magil of Shadow posted:

Gonna second this, because I unironically loved every bit of that game. Became a running joke between me and my cousin to declare that 'Every Crusader had a double jump' to determine the 'Crusader-ness' of anything, after playing though said Inferno. It had, for the most part, a flawless deception of Dante's writings of the Inferno in it's varied forms of hell, and, as mentioned, the Scythe was stupidly satisfying to use as a weapon. The combat in general was just choice, despite being a God of War clone though and though.

Yo I'm still laughing about this in games - did you know in Marlow Briggs he not only has a double jump, but also a scythe!?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Maybe I missed some kind of mechanic, in which case I'd be willing to give it another shot, but I quickly dropped Vanquish after realizing that the game really wanted to me to constantly switch playing a spectacle fighter and "playing" a cover shooter by loving waiting behind god drat cover until my Fun Meter recharges, without giving me any skillful way of restoring it myself like literally every other spectacle fighter with a meter bar does.

Like, come the gently caress on, why couldn't they at the very least give me meter back based on the score I was getting by playing good and only punishing me with having to wait behind cover if I didn't play good enough?! I hope whoever designed that system was shamed and never allowed to design another game.

I love Vanquish but you aren't wrong about the flaws. A shame too since it could really be amazing with a few changes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

Maybe I missed some kind of mechanic, in which case I'd be willing to give it another shot, but I quickly dropped Vanquish after realizing that the game really wanted to me to constantly switch playing a spectacle fighter and "playing" a cover shooter by loving waiting behind god drat cover until my Fun Meter recharges, without giving me any skillful way of restoring it myself like literally every other spectacle fighter with a meter bar does.

Like, come the gently caress on, why couldn't they at the very least give me meter back based on the score I was getting by playing good and only punishing me with having to wait behind cover if I didn't play good enough?! I hope whoever designed that system was shamed and never allowed to design another game.

i agree there definitely needs to be a mechanic to refill your meter faster, btu there IS a secret mechanic where if you dodge roll immediately after you start to dash, you keep the momentum from the dash without using any meter - and since you're dodge rolling, you get invincibility. So the ideal movement option during combat is to quickly juggle dashing and dodging.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo spending 45s or whatever to spawn in, hit a menu to recall spirit, run back to boss, recast a bunch of spells, then oh I guess that move I haven't seen yet from this boss on normal difficulty is a grab and kills me in one hit - tilts me sooo bad! Is there an option to auto recall guardians on death I'm missing? Hey sick idea for a patch to DMCV, what if every time you died you dropped 15% of your health and damage on the ground but could get it back by going in a menu. FUUUCK :argh: It'd be cool if TN would've learned their lesson about how much it sucks to not be able to rapidly retry bosses that can kill you in 2 of the wrong hits after they did *checks notes* Ninja Gaiden 15 years ago.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I love Vanquish but you aren't wrong about the flaws. A shame too since it could really be amazing with a few changes.
It's like they throw out their notes after every game, the hell! "Could really be amazing with a few changes" keeps being about every game I play of theirs. I start out super hype and loving it, then the more I play it starts to just get on my nerves. Maybe Bayo 3 will be good? They've made sooo many action games for almost 20 years now, all they'd have to do is stick with an IP for more than 5 minutes and fix the flaws as they go.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Hah! Prostrat of whine on SA, works every time

https://twitter.com/i/status/1183455408972845057

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

teh_Broseph posted:

Holy poo poo spending 45s or whatever to spawn in, hit a menu to recall spirit, run back to boss, recast a bunch of spells, then oh I guess that move I haven't seen yet from this boss on normal difficulty is a grab and kills me in one hit - tilts me sooo bad! Is there an option to auto recall guardians on death I'm missing? Hey sick idea for a patch to DMCV, what if every time you died you dropped 15% of your health and damage on the ground but could get it back by going in a menu. FUUUCK :argh: It'd be cool if TN would've learned their lesson about how much it sucks to not be able to rapidly retry bosses that can kill you in 2 of the wrong hits after they did *checks notes* Ninja Gaiden 15 years ago.

It's definitely something that feels like it's in there cus Dark Souls does it. The Souls series itself has a TON of baggage that are holdovers from previous titles, much of which has only really been stripped away in Sekiro. Tons of classic souls mechanics were established in Demon's Souls, where they were designed around creating a threatening yet adventurous tone. Dark Souls more or less kept this tone, but some of the mechanics already started feeling a little weird - there's no reason to turn human if you don't want to summon help, thus eliminating a ton of chance of invasion; the fog gates have no story-reason to exist, and are just there purely as a video gamey mechanic; shortcuts, while fine from a mechanical standpoint, start feeling arbitrary and out of place (why are so many doors only openable from one direction? even just gates you could reach through!) and predictable, eliminating lots of tension.

To wrap this back around to Nioh, I feel like while it's a strong game, a ton of its mechanics feel quite a lot like "well, Souls games do this, and we want to make a Souls game, so let's do it too" without considering how well the mechanics mesh with the rest of the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I will never forgive that Nioh fixed souls co-op in the beta and then went and broke it before retail release

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I've never had a problem with Nioh coop but then again I only play passworded sessions with my friend in Torii Gate or the Abyss and it owns.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

Don't have to recover your guardian spirit if you unequip your guardian spirit :pseudo:

Based on this I'm assuming you're at the ice boss? I'd honestly rate her as one of if not the hardest boss in the non-dlc game. Just a ton of bullshit. You can kind of cheese her by shooting her in the head repeatedly if you don't want to learn how to deal with all of that poo poo to get in on her.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Patent solution on normal difficulty is to use tools like exploding knives and onmyo that inflicts elemental statuses.

Two debuffs causes discord debuff that cripples all yokai bosses

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
loving poo poo the tedium in Nioh is killin me and I might have to drop it (I mean, it's not a char action game anyway really). Was doing one of those optional missions in the second DLC where at the end a bunch of mobs spawn along with a miniboss dude, open square with the miniboss constantly chasing while 3 others are firing really fast projectiles, I'm running in circles getting 1 small hit in as I pass then dodging away before the storm of poo poo lands, just wondering why I'm still playing. Took a decent amount of tries, time I finally got it was pretty easy. I think that's my big beef, everything is so feast or famine. Running through a map easy and boring, but oops stopped paying attention for a sec and died. Fight a boss a bunch of times doing the boring runback and spell recasting, oops cat jumped on my lap I missed a dodge, dead. Then it's real unsatisfying to die so much, run in another time, try using a different skill at a different time and boom boss is dead in 15 seconds. Then the reward is to spend 5+ minutes digging through menu poo poo to deal with loot/XP. If the damage was this high on the last 1-2 difficulties, cool I'm game. But mistakes getting punished so hard now and knowing there are 4 more difficulties to go just sounds exhausting. And add on I feel like the learning and git gudness I still need to do is just as much or more googling about builds and stats and rerolling items and all than it is actually playing the game and pressing buttons and ughh. One one hand pressing buttons is really important, but on the other all the menu stuff is the difference in an attack doing 5% or 30% of a boss health bar, and even regular mobs either getting erased or taking a bunch of hits. A lot of stuff is pretty fun to fight and do in the game, but goddamn the balance is so whack. You can deffo tell it was in dev hell forever till they said "hey Dark Souls is popular let's make it that".

fedit: Yeah, bunch of IRL stuff going on that means I can't really sit down and super focus in and my sleep schedule is messed up, don't think this is the game for me right now.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

For what it's worth, quick-change scrolls help a lot with all of that, basically giving you a get out of jail free card. Also in NG you should just be equipping the stuff with the highest numbers of your favorite weapon type and armor lightness and shunting literally everything else into your choice of garbage bin (probably the one that gives amrita), none of the modifiers make any difference at that point and everything is going to be trash after a level or two anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WaltherFeng posted:

I've never had a problem with Nioh coop but then again I only play passworded sessions with my friend in Torii Gate or the Abyss and it owns.

Its fine but it suffers from the same issues souls combat does where if you die it takes way too long to set up the session again and if one person wins you still have to beat it again for the other person, so you end up playing everything twice.

And what kills me is Nioh devs actually took the time to say, "this could be better!"

They added a special co-op mode where you stay together, if you both die you respawn and try again, and if you win then you both finish the level and get credit. It was in the beta, and it worked great.

Then for retail release they made it a prereq to beat the level normal before you can play it in the special co-op mode. COMPLETELY defeating the point of it.

teh_Broseph posted:

A lot of stuff is pretty fun to fight and do in the game, but goddamn the balance is so whack. You can deffo tell it was in dev hell forever till they said "hey Dark Souls is popular let's make it that".

This doesn't seem accurate to me AT ALL.

The worst part of that, the infinite loot drops, is something dark souls doesn't do. Sekiro even went the other direction and removed gear entirely.

Its Ninja Gaiden Souls and it very clearly always was. And it does things the way it does more because of ninja gaiden than because of dark souls. If things are imbalanced its because they ran out of budget.

But also remember that the Gaiden games were always about punching you in the dick over and over until you became gud. Ninja Gaiden Black was the tryhard before Souls and IMO is way way way more punishing and frustrating than souls ever was. Souls is fair. NGB isn't.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 16, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

They actually fixed that coop thing you are talking about.

You both get credit now for finishing the level.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

They actually fixed that coop thing you are talking about.

You both get credit now for finishing the level.

Oh nice. Good.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
WHEW, ok
https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1134499625304514561
Thanks Optimus; I took a chill, caught up on some sleep, and heard I needed to upgrade my armor. Hayabusa set dropped, switched to that, and started pumping up the levels on it all to 150(+3)-ish and maxed my guardian spirits. Incoming damage got a lot more manageable. Finished up all the DLC main and optional missions, now back to NG+ to cruise through the main missions and go back to do all the optional ones that I skipped for the most part on the first pass.

Zaphod42 posted:

This doesn't seem accurate to me AT ALL.

The worst part of that, the infinite loot drops, is something dark souls doesn't do. Sekiro even went the other direction and removed gear entirely.

Its Ninja Gaiden Souls and it very clearly always was. And it does things the way it does more because of ninja gaiden than because of dark souls. If things are imbalanced its because they ran out of budget.

But also remember that the Gaiden games were always about punching you in the dick over and over until you became gud. Ninja Gaiden Black was the tryhard before Souls and IMO is way way way more punishing and frustrating than souls ever was. Souls is fair. NGB isn't.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-30-nioh-director-fumihiko-yasuda-on-difficulty-player-feedback-and-whats-changing posted:

Eurogamer: Has Nioh actually been in development for the whole 12 years since it was announced?

Yasuda: The objective truth is that yes, the project has been on and off. But on a bigger level, Kou Shibusawa [CEO of Keoi Tecmo], the creator of Nioh as a gaming IP, has a lot of passion for this title. He had a lot of high standards and high expectations for this game. For 12 years it was a process for him to contemplate the title and how to perfect the game. You could say it's been an ongoing process.

Eurogamer: How has it evolved in all that time?

Yasuda: Team Ninja has only been on this for 3-4 years, so this is what I've heard (but can't attest the whole truth of it). Initially it was meant to be a JRPG, then at some point it was handed to Omega Force and it resembled something more like a Warriors-style game. And after Team Ninja took the baton, then it became a hardcore action game.

Eurogamer: Were the previous versions cancelled because they didn't live up to Kou Shibusawa's vision for it?

Yasuda: The short answer is yes. The earlier versions didn't live up to his vision. And ever since Team Ninja took over he has been rather hands-off, but he has been vigilant. So basically he would not question every decision that we'd make, but on the other hand he would constantly play the game himself, so we could feel his watchful eyes. But he does respect what Team Ninja does, so he hasn't been heavily involved in its development recently.

Eurogamer: Was Dark Souls what changed the game's direction? It doesn't look like a typical Team Ninja game. Or a Musou (Warriors) game for that matter either.

Yasuda: Yes, it did have a big impact on the direction this project eventually took. We have very, very high opinions of the Souls series and it's captivated a very wide audience, even here in Japan.

The wikipedia page for Nioh has some stuff about it too. The broad strokes where I think it shows is the levels play like they're from a Souls, bosses play like they're from Ninja Gaiden, and the itemization and skills are..I didn't play it but gonna go out on a limb and say Baldur's Gate 2? It all works well enough, but I don't think it really meshes together. It's close though, and now that they have the template I hope can knock it out of the park in the sequel. Might keep the copy of Ninja Gaiden 2 that just showed up in the box till after release so I don't send any bad juju out.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
oh yeah I think the devs expected you to go into the DLC with some + level Divine gear before tackling it. By the time I started the DLC I had around +6 level equipment, that's probably why you were taking so much damage

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

I was thinking about why it feels different to me and imo, Nioh (kind of Soulses in general but especially Nioh) punishes really hard for mistakes and being in a bad spot - NG is a softer punish for mistakes, just gives you a bazillion more opportunities to get hit. To me, the NG way feels more fair. Nioh damage is really high overall, and you don't get a lot of oh poo poo moves. If you get in a really bad spot there's what, a single cast of living weapon, quick change scroll (which has a lot of downsides), and I guess parry? NG takes a few difficulty levels to really ramp up damage, and for oh poo poo moves to get out of a really bad spot you have up to 4 or 5 magic casts which are instant invuln and will probably kill whatever's attacking you, the magic casts can be refilled a few times from the pause menu, probably the same amount of heals except they aren't a risk to use since you heal from the pause menu, up to 3 auto revives that give you full health and magic casts, and in general you have a few moves to use with hella iframes. Hell with Alma you can get grabbed for huge damage, but mash pause and do a full heal to survive before the hit lands. But NG also throws a ton more enemies and attacks at you, aka a lot more chances to mess up. *Early game NG when you have a small health bar and no/few items suuucks. Also, much like Nioh, it's wayyy better with modern web knowledge resources as opposed to doing it all blind in 2004 with maybe just the garbage paper guide. Another plug that everyone with an Xbone that hasn't played NGB in the past 10 years should go get it for tenbux and check out 0joebutton0's youtube guides, game is so good.

And it's not just the player that it's feast or famine, enemy punishes are nutty. So many enemies and bosses that I just dodge and chill, wait for the right opening, then boom they're dead in 1-2 hits. The last DLC fight against 9 Tails and Samurai Guy was silly. I got all amped up like it was gonna be this crazy Ornstein and Smough flashback, but eventually I just ran in and smoked 9 Tails with living weapon. Running around with Samurai Guy throwing all this poo poo at me, I'm low on resources like oh wowzors I've gotta clutch through duking it out with this guy and gonna have to learn a lot of fast timing reads real quick for this epic fight. Then I just shot him in the head, ran over and nuked half his life bar off to end it like umm :shrug: got em?

They're very different games and both have a lot of groovy stuff going for them, I was just trying to nail down what's different in the Nioh blend for curiosity's sake. I think it's that if you say a boss fight took half hour for me in each, in Nioh it'd be 60 thirty second fights, and NG it'd be 15 two minute fights. Deffo have my hopes up for Nioh 2 smoothing everything out and praying they don't Ninja Gaiden 2 it.

Hit nearly all the optional missions ticking up through the other difficulties, now halfway through doing all the main missions on the highest difficulty before calling it good :black101:. Well, halfway in the standard sense. In the programmer sense I might be getting through the first 90%, then the DLC on WotN might be the second 90%. Lmao how is sloth still this good in WotN.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Callin' Nioh done! Did all main and some side missions on normal, all DLC main+sides on normal, some main and caught I think all of the side missions to get through hard, harder, and harderer (excluding DLC), then just did all the main story+DLC missions for most harderist. That seems good enough. Planned on playing more through the difficulty levels below WotN but they really didn't seem to remix anything much and once I settled on a build and used the forge everything started dying in 2 hits; after checking out all the hard optionals I just sprinted to WotN. Groovin' game. I kinda cooled on Souls-likes, this was a really good take on the formula though and an OK char-action-adjacent. If after playing Dark Souls 1, instead of 2 or 3 coming out it was this this game and you said hey Beeseph there's a new Souls but you can be like
https://twitter.com/i/status/1188817593584553984
I woulda :vince: right out of my chair and played it for like 600 hours for sure. Just happened to burn out on 'em after some serious hours in DS1-2, didn't even hit the DLC of 3 and still haven't gotten around to more than a couple hours of BB.
Stuck a few clips together I had laying around cause I'm feelin' like I'm past a mountain climb and wish I had more to look back on from when I started Nioh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyy1eRPFrAQ.

Sticking to the theme, scooped a copy of Ninja Gaiden 2 a couple weeks ago which I never played back in the day. That sounds exhausting though so I think it's time for PS2 Shinobi first if anyone has a heads up on what's up with it?

PS lmao sloth, lmao headshots

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 28, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

teh_Broseph posted:

Sticking to the theme, scooped a copy of Ninja Gaiden 2 a couple weeks ago which I never played back in the day. That sounds exhausting though so I think it's time for PS2 Shinobi first if anyone has a heads up on what's up with it?

Been a while since I played it, but if I remember right a large part of the game is trying to quickly string together kills. Your HP constantly drains, and you need to kill enemies to refill it - killing all enemies in a group quickly not only gives you more health, but also powers up your attacks I believe, so you're heavily encouraged to not just kill quickly, but kill groups quickly. I don't remember the specific execution of combos / attacks to be as technically complex as something like Devil May Cry, or even Platinum games, but it's more about positioning and reaction times with dodging.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Been a while since I played it, but if I remember right a large part of the game is trying to quickly string together kills. Your HP constantly drains, and you need to kill enemies to refill it - killing all enemies in a group quickly not only gives you more health, but also powers up your attacks I believe, so you're heavily encouraged to not just kill quickly, but kill groups quickly. I don't remember the specific execution of combos / attacks to be as technically complex as something like Devil May Cry, or even Platinum games, but it's more about positioning and reaction times with dodging.

Yeah the shinobi deal was anybody you killed would stay dead a few seconds, and you'd do more damage, and could keep them dead but not dead as long as you combo, then they all die at once, stylistically.

Boss fights people screwed up by clearing adds, then fighting boss after.

The whole idea is you kill a couple dudes and then slash the boss real fast, you do like 5x damage that way.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nioh 2 beta is live!

Gonna try out the Hatchet and Switchglaive.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Y'all should recommend me some good games that are on sale on Steam right now.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Jack Trades posted:

Y'all should recommend me some good games that are on sale on Steam right now.

Sekiro is the best action game in a long time and is 35% off

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1233018578615578625?s=21

What could a live-service action game even be like?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1233018578615578625?s=21

What could a live-service action game even be like?

I believe that if you're very good, you might be able to make a spectacle fighter pseudo MMO. Something like Warframe.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ehhh it'd be doable if the core combat was incredibly fun and varied. Think Destiny but all melee and more competent.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

stev posted:

Ehhh it'd be doable if the core combat was incredibly fun and varied. Think Destiny but all melee and more competent.

Honestly this would be such a dream game. Like all the PCs are just Dante/Vergil/Bayonetta/Lady/The dude from Vanquish/The dude from GodHand and you spec into things like Style or Substance.

Watch though it’s gonna be an MMO with the combat from Neir: Automata :negative:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They said as part of that announcement that they want to branch into other genres, which is where the live-service thing comes into play.

This thread completely missed the whole Wonderful 101 kickstarter, by the way. I think it's still going? but it was a transparent marketing ploy and the ports are already done and coming out in May for PC, PS4 and Switch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They said as part of that announcement that they want to branch into other genres, which is where the live-service thing comes into play.

This thread completely missed the whole Wonderful 101 kickstarter, by the way. I think it's still going? but it was a transparent marketing ploy and the ports are already done and coming out in May for PC, PS4 and Switch.

The KS was specifically to cover publishing costs (cert, production runs etc) and they said from the start that the ports were basically done.

It was obviously a preorder campaign too, but there were legit reasons for doing it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bumping this old thread to tell people that the Samurai Jack game that just came out is worth playing - it was made by Soleil, which is basically Itagaki's team of former Ninja Gaiden devs minus Itagaki himself, and the game's very much a diet Ninja Gaiden in the same way that Transformers was diet Platinum. It's on PC and consoles (even Apple Arcade, I think) and it plays fine on everything, as far as I know.

Other thread-worthy poo poo that happened between the last posts and now: Wonderful 101 came out (and nobody cared, again), Nioh 2 came out, Sekiro got a boss rush... anything else?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 24, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wonderful 101 is so good though...

There's also a mod for DMC5 that allows for PvP combat amount a billion other features.

EDIT: oh and there also has been a big update for Assault Spy, which a perfectly fine indie spectacle fighter, if you're out of things to play.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
IRL stuff wrecked my time and attention span so I won't be continuing my game dive streak for who knows how long, booo. Trying to cram in a new save DMC5 through DMD as time allows now that I know gold orbs are scrubbery, which reminded me I should at least get around to knocking out the tier list I always wanted to make. So *drumroll* here it is more or less for the ones I got through don't @ me:

https://tiermaker.com/create-xy/character-action-ranks-570024

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Personally I'd bump both Transformers and Rising up a bit as those are both games I've played through a bunch of times in an afternoon when I've felt the need. Rising I've been through probably as many times as DMC4 which is probably 8 times by now. It's so good to just fire up a game and instantly feel at home with it.

Ninja Gaiden is one I've never been too fond of, I think the static cameras and the INSANE difficulty just made it a misery to play for the longest time and even when I figured it out I still didn't feel like I was particularly enjoying it. I'm not saying people who love it are wrong, it just never quite clicked for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I don’t know I can handle DMD and Bayonetta Infinite Climax modes and Guve Me God of War no problem, really, but Ninja Gaiden’s base difficulty made me feel like I had never played a video game before in my life, I find them inscrutable.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

teh_Broseph posted:

IRL stuff wrecked my time and attention span so I won't be continuing my game dive streak for who knows how long, booo.

Glad you are alright :glomp:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ninja Gaiden is one I've never been too fond of, I think the static cameras and the INSANE difficulty just made it a misery to play for the longest time and even when I figured it out I still didn't feel like I was particularly enjoying it. I'm not saying people who love it are wrong, it just never quite clicked for me.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I don’t know I can handle DMD and Bayonetta Infinite Climax modes and Guve Me God of War no problem, really, but Ninja Gaiden’s base difficulty made me feel like I had never played a video game before in my life, I find them inscrutable.

:agreed: The camera and offscreen projectiles bullshit is just so frustrating that it feels that certain parts aren't even about skill anymore, just luck.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

teh_Broseph posted:

IRL stuff wrecked my time and attention span so I won't be continuing my game dive streak for who knows how long, booo. Trying to cram in a new save DMC5 through DMD as time allows now that I know gold orbs are scrubbery, which reminded me I should at least get around to knocking out the tier list I always wanted to make. So *drumroll* here it is more or less for the ones I got through don't @ me:

https://tiermaker.com/create-xy/character-action-ranks-570024

Still waiting on that Bolognese recipe tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I finally got around to playing Assault Spy (had it on my radar forever and in my library four about a month). I was pretty cold on it after finishing the story as the first character, Asaru. All his movements felt too sticky; there are a lot of attacks that just leave you stuck in ending lag for what feels like eternity, and cancelling moves seems inconsistent. Also, he feels like he has less range than he should on a lot of moves. He was, like, 80% of a fun character, and that other 20% felt pretty bad. And maybe I was missing obvious things, but there are way too many ranged enemies in this game, and he doesn't feel like he has the kit to answer them. Sure, he has a teleport, but the input for it is way too touchy, so I often ended up just jumping in place instead of teleporting.

And there's a stealth section. Why? Just, why? It's not that long once you know what you're doing, and there's only one tricky spot, but it still feels way too long, and every time you mess up, they replay whatever inane dialogue shows up at the beginning of the room.

So after that mediocre run, I figured I should at least try the other character, and, ya'll.

Ya'll.

Amelia kicks rear end.

Make sure your first upgrade purchase is her teleport kick. It's powerful, useful, and feels great. It solves every problem I had with Asaru, and the rest of her moveset is great too. I don't know if I'll ever touch Asaru again, but I'm definitely trying out the higher difficulties with Amelia.