Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

poo poo. I knew that stupid thing had to have more use than what you get from the story.

I wore it a lot but by the time I was playing I never really had a hard time with BTs so never noticed. It probably helps a lot with that one mission where you recover stuff in a BT area though. That one behind the craftsman was a pain in the rear end, with the weird-rear end placement of the ones really high up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

night slime posted:

I wore it a lot but by the time I was playing I never really had a hard time with BTs so never noticed. It probably helps a lot with that one mission where you recover stuff in a BT area though. That one behind the craftsman was a pain in the rear end, with the weird-rear end placement of the ones really high up.

if you actually walk you can basically walk up to any BT without aggroing it

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So... I have pre-ordered this on steam. I have some caffeine with my breakfast. Looking forward to diving into some prime Kojima weirdness based on what i know about this game.

Honestly what has me most excited is the EDF esque physicality of controlling a character with weight and movement and unique controls, and the idea of it being a delivery game on rough terrain. The set dressing of a Phantom Dust level weird game mixed with David Cage / David Lynch esque weirdness mixed in just seems like icing on that cake.

I'm prepared. I think i know what im getting into. Maybe.

Ill be honest though, im not really familiar with any actors work in this other than Guillermo Del Toro, as a director so for a lot of this, it will be me seeing Norman Reedus, and Mads, and a lot of these actors for the first time. In Fact i heard Conan O Brian is in this, and hed be the only person id actually be familiar with.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Sounds like you are going to love it Talkc, I felt much the same way going in, I had heard of Mads Mikkelsen but not really seen him in anything and had never heard of Norman Reedus. Even Conan I only knew from internet references I'm from the UK so never really sat and watched his talk show. Hell Troy Baker is probably the only guy I'm most familiar with and even then I couldn't pick him out a crowd.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Sounds like you are going to love it Talkc, I felt much the same way going in, I had heard of Mads Mikkelsen but not really seen him in anything and had never heard of Norman Reedus. Even Conan I only knew from internet references I'm from the UK so never really sat and watched his talk show. Hell Troy Baker is probably the only guy I'm most familiar with and even then I couldn't pick him out a crowd.

Oh.... of course troy bakers in it. ( wasnt aware he was ).

I just love the idea of wonky hiking my way through this torn up psycho landscape of the broken united states of america. Like i remember seeing the original gameplay reveal and people going "what is this gameplay" and me going: "Its truck sim on foot! OMG!" Its what i love about games like No Mans Sky or EDF or Truck Sim or Elite Dangerous. Sorta the overwrought mechanics of the mundane controls taken to the extreme. Between this today, and Flight Sim on aug 18, and Hardspace just having been on Early Access this summer is like perfect for me. Other than like.... Global Pandemic.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'll be playing this for the first time on PC, should I dive straight into Hard difficulty or will that make me hate the game without foreknowledge of the mechanics?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

repiv posted:

I'll be playing this for the first time on PC, should I dive straight into Hard difficulty or will that make me hate the game without foreknowledge of the mechanics?

Nah, I played on Hard Mode and it was perfectly fine.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Hard mode changes literally nothing except for enemy health/damage and even then it's not that hard. And you can change the difficulty at any time.

One thing to keep in mind is that you need to play on the highest difficulty to get the highest rank on deliveries. But again only enemies are affected by the difficulty rating so deliveries aren't actually any harder.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

untzthatshit posted:

Hard mode changes literally nothing except for enemy health/damage and even then it's not that hard. And you can change the difficulty at any time.

Doesn't it change some traversal mechanics too? Like stability goes down faster in water and it's easier to trip. Also items degrade faster.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Carmant posted:

Doesn't it change some traversal mechanics too? Like stability goes down faster in water and it's easier to trip. Also items degrade faster.

i only ever played on hard but if there was a stability change then it's negligible, you're almost incapable of stumbling if you grip both straps of your pack

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Maybe there's some other minute change but yeah I started on normal then ramped it up to the hardest difficulty mid way through and noticed no difference in controlling Sam. You might be right about cargo degradation but I still didn't have much trouble getting those S ranks. Hard mode is still very doable.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They did add a new Very Hard mode in the PC version but I think I'll start with Hard

thanks

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
Well i prepared myself the best i could. I dont have a *monster* energy, but i do have a red bull. I dont like energy drinks. I dont think im even going todrink it so i think its just here for moral support. I mentally prepared by watching Civvie 11 play Kreed which was ... *something*.

I watched Digital Foundry talk about how well the game runs. Apparently i can just run this at 1080p at whatever settings i want and it will look amazing with my specs.

I think theres really only one other thing to do. Watch this over and over til launch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I know Death Stranding has some sort of asynchronous multiplayer stuff in it. Is this of a nature where the experience playing it down the road will be different to playing at launch?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

K8.0 posted:

I know Death Stranding has some sort of asynchronous multiplayer stuff in it. Is this of a nature where the experience playing it down the road will be different to playing at launch?

I found it didn't make much difference

Source: played at launch, picked up again midway through last week

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

K8.0 posted:

I played it at launch and again about a month ago on PS4 and didn't notice much of a difference. Plus there's a pseudo-friends system in the game that makes those peoples' items show up more in your game and it shows when they last played, so you can befriend a bunch of people you know to be active if you're really worried about it.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

do I really want to play this game again on PC? I really enjoyed it first time through on PS4 but im not sure I can be hosed doing it again... I keep flipping back and forth on a decision.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Qmass posted:

do I really want to play this game again on PC? I really enjoyed it first time through on PS4 but im not sure I can be hosed doing it again... I keep flipping back and forth on a decision.

Death Stranding is a potential masterpiece that I enjoyed, I will never ever replay it, its just not that kinda game.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Qmass posted:

I was in the same boat and just said gently caress it and bought it on Steam 10 mins ago. I love playing the game so much and it's so relaxing. I doubt I will push hard to finish it, just unlock the map and go to town delivering poo poo.

My mind is blown after playing this last year and now we are in the middle of this loving pandemic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Playing the PC version live for a bit if anyone would like to see how the port plays at 60+ fps.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

I think my plan is going to be a blitz to mountain knot city, then I'm just gonna chill and explore. Not even bother going through the full thing, or at least no rush.

Looking forwards to seeing this on an ultrawide in 60fps

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Made it to Knot City in the intro and had to stop. Man it looks so good. I envy you that can run better than I can.

Pretty much stuck at 60fps at 1440p with an i5-2500k and 980TI. Minor hitches when loading new things but totally playable so far.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

ghostinmyshell posted:

Made it to Knot City in the intro and had to stop. Man it looks so good. I envy you that can run better than I can.

Pretty much stuck at 60fps at 1440p with an i5-2500k and 980TI. Minor hitches when loading new things but totally playable so far.

I have similar specs so that's good to hear that it runs well

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

This game is Real Pretty on PC. Happy to be rebuilding America again.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i grabbed this on steam since ive heard interesting things. im like 1 hour in, and im pretty hooked!

doing the first real mission after all the cutscenes after the corpse desposal part, is that first intro city totally destroyed then?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

queeb posted:

i grabbed this on steam since ive heard interesting things. im like 1 hour in, and im pretty hooked!

doing the first real mission after all the cutscenes after the corpse desposal part, is that first intro city totally destroyed then?

yes

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

It sure is! You can see the crater on the map and if you're very sneaky or look it up on YouTube you can literally climb over the invisible wall blocking it off and go walk around it.

I'd like to see how the PC version handles zipline travel. That was by far the jankiest time I had with the game, I had some slow down or freezes as the game loaded areas because I was ziplining too fast.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zonko_T.M. posted:

It sure is! You can see the crater on the map and if you're very sneaky or look it up on YouTube you can literally climb over the invisible wall blocking it off and go walk around it.

I'd like to see how the PC version handles zipline travel. That was by far the jankiest time I had with the game, I had some slow down or freezes as the game loaded areas because I was ziplining too fast.

I never had this on PS Pro for what its worth.

Hope you guys enjoy this game, I liked it a whole lot

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All done with the stream. The PC version is truly incredible! Not a single technical hitch, a rock steady 144fps. The mouse and keyboard controls are actually really fluid and intuitive if you really want to play it that way. PC is definitely the best way to experience the game, it's honestly worth double dipping if you own it on PS4 and want to play through it again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

All done with the stream. The PC version is truly incredible! Not a single technical hitch, a rock steady 144fps. The mouse and keyboard controls are actually really fluid and intuitive if you really want to play it that way. PC is definitely the best way to experience the game, it's honestly worth double dipping if you own it on PS4 and want to play through it again.

Let the data mining commence!

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Just started playing this on PC and the story so far is proper poo poo.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

ColdIronsBound posted:

When you get to the part where they let you play the game it becomes pretty fun. There's a solid 40-50 hour chunk where you just get to play then at the end it's a movie you watch again.

night slime
May 14, 2014
https://twitter.com/proxidog/status/1283135096418172931

Nice...sounds kinda tempting but donīt have a proper gaming PC.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

ColdIronsBound posted:

Look this is one of those games where the story is objectively poo poo but also still great somehow, so if you don't like it now it won't get any better.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Did anyone manage to find whatever the Distribution Centre guy is talking about when he mentions a cube on a riverbank? It's marked as PC content so I assume it's one of the new Valve items but I can't see poo poo, and there doesn't appear to be an order for it either.

Man though I missed this game a lot. It's still so good.

Edit: Also while I'm asking is it possible to make Strand Contracts directly with your friend list? I got a bunch of pals playing.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 14, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rabidsquid posted:

if you actually walk you can basically walk up to any BT without aggroing it

Could you please explain that a little further?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Pierson posted:

Did anyone manage to find whatever the Distribution Centre guy is talking about when he mentions a cube on a riverbank? It's marked as PC content so I assume it's one of the new Valve items but I can't see poo poo, and there doesn't appear to be an order for it either.

Man though I missed this game a lot. It's still so good.

Edit: Also while I'm asking is it possible to make Strand Contracts directly with your friend list? I got a bunch of pals playing.

the game makes it sound way creepier and more interesting than it is but when anyone talks to you about seeing a glowing object or a ghost or whatever it's just one of the games collectibles it should show up if you scan with the odradek

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Could you please explain that a little further?

i'm not sure what you mean. if you're wearing the oxygen mask it's like holding your breath but even harder to detect. i fired the game up yesterday to check it out and if you walk slowly or crouch you almost have to physically bump into a BT for it to notice you, and you get the prompt to cut their cord before any of them ever notices you

interestingly i discovered you can cover your mouth while wearing it still, he puts his hand over the breathing apparatus. i genuinely have no idea what situation you would need to do this since the mask itself seems to drop the detection level to really really low levels and so far as i know none of the BTs have a wider detection range or anything. maybe once they've already detected you it helps?

night slime
May 14, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

interestingly i discovered you can cover your mouth while wearing it still, he puts his hand over the breathing apparatus. i genuinely have no idea what situation you would need to do this since the mask itself seems to drop the detection level to really really low levels and so far as i know none of the BTs have a wider detection range or anything. maybe once they've already detected you it helps?

The mask turns off and goes away if you run out of battery so I think maybe it could be like a preemptive thing, for the transition.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Carmant posted:

Look this is one of those games where the story is objectively poo poo but also still great somehow, so if you don't like it now it won't get any better.

It's a fantastic setting and world but a very Kojima-esque journey through it: Extremely hammy, myopically focused on certain themes, weirdly wandering when it comes to anything else, eerily prophetic, underrated technically cinematic style, specifically very American cinematic style, but being wielded by a pointedly Japanese weirdo guy.

I love it, not everyone does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It's baffling to me that he hasn't attempted to make any sort of actual short film/movie of any sort yet. He has everything he needs to do it.

He reminds me a lot of Thomas Bangalter from Daft Punk who obsessed over photography and cinematography magazines for years on end and then finally went and shot his own art film (Electroma) and visually it looks like something a true established cinematographer did. I assume he's going to do it someday and I also assume it's going to be similarly shockingly accomplished despite being a debut.