Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really don't know what to think about ziplines. On one hand they're very convenient but on the other hand they completely change the way the game is played to the point that I never walk a route more than 1.5 times AT MOST (less if I get lucky with online ziplines) ever, which sort of defeats the whole point of the game. Them being practically free to place doesn't help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

The thing about them though, at least for me, is I didn't have a full zipline network until well after I finished the story and just about had all roads built already. I really only used them to grind out the last few stars for most settlements. Most of the ones that appeared from other players were placed fairly haphazard and I only ended up using a handful of them in my network. So I feel its pretty balanced for effort vs reward.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maybe it's just my playstyle but from a point where I unlocked ziplines I never walked to any new place without carrying enough PCCs to construct a zipline highway on my way back. It seemed to be most efficient.
That basically made the whole second part of the game a complete breeze.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sam's purpose is to connect people, build bridges, and be a literal trailblazer. It makes sense that after doing a route once you can make it easier to travel that route in the future for yourself and others. The ziplines are also not perfect, since they only allow you to carry cargo on your body so carriers and vehicles are still useful.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Yeah I'm also kinda miffed about HZD holograms everywhere. The signs and holos in general make some high-traffic places look like shopping malls.

Signs never got obnoxious for me but I derezzed those ugly longneck fuckers every time I saw them. Their inclusion was a mistake.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
The only signs I really hated were the ones that make your vehicle boost. Mostly because people would place them on the ramp down to the distro centers and make me boost into the thing when I didn't want to. (you can turn off just the signs in the settings)

I also hated the robot dinos. Mostly because I saw one when I first started playing and I nearly poo poo myself... I saw a huge creature in the distance and immediately paused the game to look at my inventory to see what I had to defend myself with. Cautiously crept forward with a hematic grenade in my hand ready to throw down until I realized it was just a hologram. Same thing with the porters, I panicked and thought that the MULES could now leave their territory and come for me... Good thing I didn't have a gun at that time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The only signs I really hated were the ones that make your vehicle boost. Mostly because people would place them on the ramp down to the distro centers and make me boost into the thing when I didn't want to. (you can turn off just the signs in the settings)

I also hated the robot dinos. Mostly because I saw one when I first started playing and I nearly poo poo myself... I saw a huge creature in the distance and immediately paused the game to look at my inventory to see what I had to defend myself with. Cautiously crept forward with a hematic grenade in my hand ready to throw down until I realized it was just a hologram. Same thing with the porters, I panicked and thought that the MULES could now leave their territory and come for me... Good thing I didn't have a gun at that time.

That was my main gripe with them, getting surprised when they popped in the first few times thinking they were some new BT. They’re the only gigantic holo in the game.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I just wish you assholes would stop leaving your rusted rear end vehicles all over my beautiful roads. At least park them off the power strip!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I was describing the game to a friend and realized I didn’t ever catch if there was an in universe explanation for why there’s all these structures getting built constantly and other versions of, I guess ‘you’, delivering your dropped packages. Is there an explanation? I figured there wouldn’t be but the game goes out of its way to explain like every other minor detail.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There are other porters doing poo poo other than Sam.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Jack Trades posted:

There are other porters doing poo poo other than Sam.

Yeah I was gonna say that, but there’s like two of them.. or I assume you can’t see more than two at a time. And idk why anyone would want to do such a lovely job, even if you were Sam and you can survive void outs.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I find myself often pruning signs and structures that suck. The boost ones don't usually bug me unless it's placed on that windy switchback bit of the highway up to Mountain Knot.

Also if you don't want to disable/remove structures, you can change the hologram/song/whatever to whatever you want on other players' structures. I do it any time I see the more obnoxious ones if the structure is worth having.

I often use the BT hologram on my upgraded structures just to keep people on their toes, but I think I'm sitting in the like desert since I get so few from my stuff. The highways were my gateway to 100k likes but nobody gets my whole zip-line network, just the few little pieces here and there that I want to redo but are getting me internet points.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Imhotep posted:

Yeah I was gonna say that, but there’s like two of them.. or I assume you can’t see more than two at a time. And idk why anyone would want to do such a lovely job, even if you were Sam and you can survive void outs.

this is repeatedly hammered on from the beginning to the end of the game, to the point that the entire MULE faction are comprised of people who went delivery crazy, a literal cargo cult

this game is weird and operates on its own logic but if you're paying attention almost everything makes sense

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Jack Trades posted:

I really don't know what to think about ziplines. On one hand they're very convenient but on the other hand they completely change the way the game is played to the point that I never walk a route more than 1.5 times AT MOST (less if I get lucky with online ziplines) ever, which sort of defeats the whole point of the game. Them being practically free to place doesn't help either.

Between unlocking bikes, roads, teleportation, powersuits, trucks, and ziplines, I think the entire structure of the game is overcoming hardships and then defeating them fully. The whole point of the game isn't walking places, it's making the journey. And you did make that journey, ONCE, now that you've done it, it is simple to repeat.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Imhotep posted:

I was describing the game to a friend and realized I didn’t ever catch if there was an in universe explanation for why there’s all these structures getting built constantly and other versions of, I guess ‘you’, delivering your dropped packages. Is there an explanation? I figured there wouldn’t be but the game goes out of its way to explain like every other minor detail.

Personal pet theory that's probably wrong (massive endgame spoilers]: Sam is the original Bridge Baby, right? It's not outside the realm of possibility that he's been cloned and that there are other Sam Porters out there. It would explain why preppers are always quipping about how you're a one-man army and making deliveries faster than seems possible. It also explains why, when you call out "I'm Sam!", and another Norman Reedus answers "Hey, I'm Sam too!"

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Man the auto pavers on the way to Mountain Knot are insanely expensive. I'm basically driving back and forth between there and the MULEs near the Engineer making supply runs (usually stopping to farm the BT at the abandoned factory near the Craftsman for crystals).

Is there a closer source I'm missing? The terrorists nearby all stock Special Alloys.

(I admit it's entirely possible that once I actually GET to Mountain Knot they'll dump materials on me and I'll feel dumb)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

thumper57 posted:

Man the auto pavers on the way to Mountain Knot are insanely expensive. I'm basically driving back and forth between there and the MULEs near the Engineer making supply runs (usually stopping to farm the BT at the abandoned factory near the Craftsman for crystals).

Is there a closer source I'm missing? The terrorists nearby all stock Special Alloys.

(I admit it's entirely possible that once I actually GET to Mountain Knot they'll dump materials on me and I'll feel dumb)

All the cities have resources so you might try just walking or biking to Mountain Knot if you’re close but have already tapped out Lake Knot, South Knot, the DCs, and the easily accessible shelters and camps. I didn’t finish those roads until after I’d been in the mountains for a couple of chapters because they were so costly. Remember to bring the shelters onto the network to get community contributors to the roads, they’ll do half the work for you most times.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Midjack posted:

All the cities have resources so you might try just walking or biking to Mountain Knot if you’re close but have already tapped out Lake Knot, South Knot, the DCs, and the easily accessible shelters and camps. I didn’t finish those roads until after I’d been in the mountains for a couple of chapters because they were so costly. Remember to bring the shelters onto the network to get community contributors to the roads, they’ll do half the work for you most times.

Ahhhh this explains why I'm building roads by myself, I've been stubbornly paving my way everywhere before I check in, I figured that the game must require you to finish roads yourself to discover the terrain, then let's other players provide repair materials. It didn't occur to me that those regions just weren't online yet.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

thumper57 posted:

Ahhhh this explains why I'm building roads by myself, I've been stubbornly paving my way everywhere before I check in, I figured that the game must require you to finish roads yourself to discover the terrain, then let's other players provide repair materials. It didn't occur to me that those regions just weren't online yet.

Oh yeah, get the region online and it will make roads waaaaay easier.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

thumper57 posted:

The roads are just for convenience. You can go basically wherever you want if you're fine trekking there on foot or a vehicle can navigate the terrain and has enough battery to get you there. Also I'm pretty sure you'll have to build the roads entirely by yourself if you're doing it in regions that aren't in the chiral network yet, whereas some of the materials will be filled in by other players if the auto-paver is in a networked area. It's almost always better to go somewhere on foot first and then worry about the roads later.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

I never built a single road after the first one Die-Hardman has you finish as a tutorial order, Sam don't need no roads.

Death Stranding's greatest secret is that it's an extremely easy game and you don't need any of the utility poo poo beyond PCC's to make ziplines and the occasional charging station beyond the early game, even ladders and climbing ropes are never necessary to get somewhere and are really only for convenience in some locations, you can get to every peak just running and climbing, I have no idea why people built poo poo like those umbrella posts

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 6, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The timefall shelter is useful even outside rainy areas because it repairs cargo boxes when you walk under it, removing the need to carry around repair spray. Rain doesn't actually destroy the cargo, only the container, but if you eat poo poo while carrying a box with 0% health it's almost guaranteed to be destroyed.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is the Long Range Truck strictly better than the Truck, or does it have reduced cargo capacity?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Strictly better. The batteries are attached to the outside of the hullchassis.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Finally got the whole roadway done. What a chore. I mean, I didn't have to. I was just obsessed. I do wonder how it works. If anyone was helping I didn't notice. There was one section down near Lake Knot and other than that the other builders were completly empty save one or two with a measly like, 100 metal donated. It was 99% all on me to get it done. Be damned if I'm keeping all that repaired. Nothing about it felt like the community effort I thought I was getting into.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, I thought folks were exaggerating when they said the early game has become too easy in online mode on PC, but I started a new game this afternoon and I totally agree. I set out to build a bridge across the river(s) outside Capitol Knot and...

There already are bridges, with tens of thousands of likes apiece, in pretty much every reasonable spot. I think either something may be a bit broken with early game Bridge Links, or the underlying system that slowly rolls out structures just wasn't designed for the sheer amount of players. I'm only in Episode 2 and my Bridge Links list is at least a hundred users long.

edit: When do you unlock the ability to disband Bridge Links with other players? I think you can do that eventually but I don't remember when. Some of these people who are already at 500/500 LoL with hundreds of thousands of likes need to go or the early game won't be fun on this playthrough at all. :sigh:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 7, 2020

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I also just started on PC and my episode 2 has a few ladders and ropes and bridges but none have thousands of likes and I still seem to kinda have to find my way?

I feel like anything I contribute to the world won’t get many because there are already so many.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That problem will go away once you get to the central region and start building roads.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I've definitely found that things were easier the second time around, after connecting anybody to the network there's already a safehouse and whatever else. I still enjoyed going through again but there was close to zero challenge. It's a shame that there can't be user defined missions or mods or something to extend the game, the systems of DS are great but something like the Vog for example only comes up once and then you never have to worry about it again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the game was going to have much more varied terrain at first, but the scope was just too wide. Asylums For The Feeling was envisioned as playing while you walked through a desert for example.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I half wish Kojima just ripped off the Horizon map for the landscapes. I would love to actually see the American landscape while hauling everything.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

I think the game was going to have much more varied terrain at first, but the scope was just too wide. Asylums For The Feeling was envisioned as playing while you walked through a desert for example.

my greatest disappointment with Death Stranding was when i realized that the central region was the entire game. right up until the late stages of the mountains where you're linking up the scientists i assumed that all the constant hand-holding and giving out new gadgets that fit one specific use case were basically preparation for entry to the final more 'wild west' region which would be truly challenging and force you to mix it up and employ everything you've unlocked and learned to that point; remembering the varied terrain from trailers and other pre-release media, seeing Sam riding a bike across deserts and the like, made me think the game world was going to be larger and individual biomes not limited to singular little spots.

joke's on me because the plot instead just goes from 0-100 whiplash fast and the game ends, and the plot really doesn't have much to say that the game doesn't cover in the first few hours, this ain't no MGS2

Death Stranding has a lot of truly striking moments, like that first climb to the incinerator, which along with the contrasting surreal writing and hyperreal imagery help it become a worthwhile experience despite the sum of its parts being a janky mess; my conclusion regarding the game's worth ultimately doesn't align with his, but dunkey's review of Death Stranding is basically the most accurate despite being a shitpost in video format.

should have waited for sale/10

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 7, 2020

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I both love and hate this game. It's technically brilliant and incredibly engrossing but also seems intent on finding new and innovative ways to waste my time. Fell into one of those BT muck pools on the mission to deliver the chiralium gauge without any warning; the odradek went from blinking once to "immediately hosed." Didn't get the chance to struggle out this time either, just got sucked 5 miles out to fight a ram-looking BT without any weapons (as my cargo all fell off when I got sucked 5 miles out). Think I'm done for today.

Xbone
Nov 3, 2013

the_enduser posted:

I half wish Kojima just ripped off the Horizon map for the landscapes. I would love to actually see the American landscape while hauling everything.

Bridges into other games would be amazing. Just play as Sam, delivering packages, same animation/movement tech in the worlds of Breath of the Wild, Grand Theft Auto, Horizon

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Psycho Mantits posted:

I both love and hate this game. It's technically brilliant and incredibly engrossing but also seems intent on finding new and innovative ways to waste my time. Fell into one of those BT muck pools on the mission to deliver the chiralium gauge without any warning; the odradek went from blinking once to "immediately hosed." Didn't get the chance to struggle out this time either, just got sucked 5 miles out to fight a ram-looking BT without any weapons (as my cargo all fell off when I got sucked 5 miles out). Think I'm done for today.

You are playing correctly

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thumper57 posted:

I'm curious if there's a way to get stuff from the eastern region over to central, only way I know how to get back there is doing a Quiet jump. Terrorists don't spawn jack poo poo really until they're in an online area, and even then, mountain know seems to have way less mule loot than previous zones. Maybe just my luck or online region?

I do know I'm not doing the Mountain Knot city mission until the highway is done. I don't have a good excuse for this behaviour besides I know they purposely jacked up the rates on the first several pylons up that slope because they really want you to have the dramatic moment in the mission with BTs and rain and poo poo. Maybe I'm robbing myself of that moment, but I'm gaining one I look forward to like when I finally officially came to this region. Die Hardman crying about BTs and using Ziplines to get overm ountains and watch out its a danger-trip... Bud I been building highways and hoovering chiral crystals out here since before you even had me go to South Knot.

Shinmera posted:

Ah, yeah, holding fire is my mistake. I'll try to be more careful next time.

Anyway, today I went up to Mountain Knot. If I hadn't thought to put the bomb onto a carrier it probably would have been much more of a pain.

Exactly the moment I'm robbing myself of but in return I will get to just take a relaxed truck ride up the highway. I'm also very curious where the highway goes once it gets to Mountain Knot.Don't see more pylons, but do see an area westish I haven't started building roads in yet... if they are there. Sadly, no road pylons in Eastern region even once you unlock em. That region seems to benefit from ziplines a ton.

Jack Trades posted:

Maybe it's just my playstyle but from a point where I unlocked ziplines I never walked to any new place without carrying enough PCCs to construct a zipline highway on my way back. It seemed to be most efficient.
That basically made the whole second part of the game a complete breeze.

On the other hand, zip-lines kinda suck. They're so boring, you can't even even like look at your wristcuffs to read emails or the pile of data you have to catch up on. It's cool to make a delivery in 2 minutes with 1.1x trail difference but woof, if you don't have a podcast on it's just like a waste of time. I'm saying that as the kind of braindead weirdo whose been hauling resources up to road pylons for like 50 hours. I definitely want to build a few serious zipline networks, one to go a distro center to weather center to over the mountain, but I always forget to bring ladders or get distracted. I'm also not the best zip-line planner yet, Ive got at least 4 zipline thingies built just between mountain waystation and mountain distro center. Like just pylons you can skip over, either I built them too close thinking I would have to for them to connect over a ridge or whatever, or one of them is just a weird deal that only works one way. I should go clean them up to free the bandwidth, but I haven't.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Assassin's Creed Odyssey makes me want to deliver packages all over Greece. It's a beautiful game but the controls are so slick that you're totally detached from the environment at all times. You can climb everything, everywhere, except in certain plot areas that are all fancy corridors. There's no engagement with the environment and I often find myself wishing that there was because some of the locations are gorgeous and would be fun to travel through, just not in this game engine.

I don't need to deliver mail in every game ever but I hope future games take notes from how Death Stranding makes the environment itself the main obstacle. The environmental design means so much more when it actually affects your character instead of just being basically wallpaper.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Today I did the trip up to mountain knot with Mama. What a ride. I decided to take a different route, this time through the mountain range instead of through the valley like last time, and I'm really happy I did. Caught some stunning sights that I really enjoyed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Question for anyone who has fiddled around with the difficulty settings: Do BT bosses act smarter/more aggressive on higher difficulties? Big Squid doesn't seem to do much unless you get extremely close, at least on Normal. It spends most of its time pathing its way to Sam from my experience. Gribbly Lion is much more proactive by comparison.

Edit: Think I figured out why it's so docile. The lower the difficulty setting, the easier it is to stun the boss. It only takes two grenades to stun Big Squid, sometimes one if you hit a health breakpoint, so it doesn't really get a chance to do anything because you're constantly resetting it. After some testing I think Hard is the best middle ground of enemy health and stun resist.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgu3WbLnqqg

I am now the master of fighting Big Squid