Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«266 »
Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is a really weird take, but did anyone else feel like a lot of the deliveries were just way too short? At least from the first gameplay trailer I was expecting them to be sprawling survival horror-y things where it's like "You have a ladder and two pairs of shoes to get over 250km, don't use your ladder early jerkface." I really enjoyed the hiking gameplay, but everything was so close together that I pretty much never felt obligated to carry more than a bola gun and single ladder + climbing hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Omi no Kami posted:

This is a really weird take, but did anyone else feel like a lot of the deliveries were just way too short? At least from the first gameplay trailer I was expecting them to be sprawling survival horror-y things where it's like "You have a ladder and two pairs of shoes to get over 250km, don't use your ladder early jerkface." I really enjoyed the hiking gameplay, but everything was so close together that I pretty much never felt obligated to carry more than a bola gun and single ladder + climbing hook.

I think they were just the perfect length so it kept you hooked on the gameplay loop. Getting those S ranks was addictive.

"Just one more delivery" - Me at 3 AM

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Finished it a few days ago at around 50 hours. Working on 100%ing it, thoughts:

I enjoyed the game, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with suggesting it to someone unless they specifically knew it was basically an art project from the crazy dude behind the metal gear series. Storywise, it felt like things missed as often as they landed. The insanity felt a bit front-loaded which sort of desensitized me to a lot of the "shocking" things happening later on. One gripe I especially had were all the data interviews being text only, I was hoping for something like MGS5 where I could run around the landscape listening to info dumps. Combat blew on Very Hard and looking back, I should have just played it on Normal or lower because trying to beat a sequence for upwards of 45 minutes took a lot of the drama out.

I wouldn't really call this game a flawed masterpiece, because I think that would be too generous, but im certainly glad it existed and I really want more game studios to take risks like these and try something completely different. All in all, happy to give Kojima my $60. I hope he keeps on throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.

Jack Trades posted:

I really don't know what to think about ziplines. On one hand they're very convenient but on the other hand they completely change the way the game is played to the point that I never walk a route more than 1.5 times AT MOST (less if I get lucky with online ziplines) ever, which sort of defeats the whole point of the game. Them being practically free to place doesn't help either.
I basically slept on ziplines until I got to the snowy mountain region and decided I was done with trying to rough it. Oddly, I had a lot of fun setting up zipline infrastructure in the area. Its quite satisfying to zoom over an area you were once struggling to get through on foot.

oh christ on stick, how could I forget, this was a hilarious part of the game for me, especially with the added monster footsteps. I laughed aloud:
didn't know kojima was into giantess stuff but im not one to kinkshame.

buglord fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 8, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Omi no Kami posted:

Yes and no. I thought the game was going to be more like that as well but I wouldn't have wanted to be halfway through a long delivery and have to start over because the game required me to bring along a certain number of ladders.

Like any real delivery worker, the challenge (and fun) usually came more from maximizing the number of deliveries I could do along a particular route rather than how challenging any individual delivery was on its own.

Wow, typing that out I only just now realized the connection to my dad. He was a delivery driver and you'd think it's just a job of being told to go here and then go there but at night he would take home the customer order papers and plan out optimal routes to do everything the next day. Literally haven't thought about that in years but I was doing that the whole game!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

buglord posted:

I wouldn't really call this game a flawed masterpiece, because I think that would be too generous, but im certainly glad it existed and I really want more game studios to take risks like these and try something completely different. All in all, happy to give Kojima my $60. I hope he keeps on throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.

Death Stranding is a bad game trapped inside an entertainingly dumb and good Kojima art project.

It's worth experiencing once, but I can't see ever playing it again after one thorough play through.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Keep on keeping on.

Incorrect, it's a very good game

edit: trapped inside an entertainingly dumb and good Kojima art project.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I also don't want to play it again but I don't think that's a knock against the game. I know, I know, it's a "game" so shouldn't replayability be a factor in how good it is? But I don't really view a game like this, or most AAA titles for that matter, as something like Tetris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

«266 »