Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Look Sir Droids posted:

Sure hope so, but did they do this for PS3 digital libraries converting to PS4?

PS3 ran off a custom 64 bit PowerPC “Cell” professor and used graphics chip co-designed by Nvidia and Sony, and used a graphics API PSGL specifically designed for the Nvidia chip. PS4 runs off a 64 bit x86 processor from AMD and uses AMD graphics in the same chip, and GNM/GNMX graphics API specifically designed for that AMD hardware. Both OSes ran off a fork of FreeBSD but what matters is the major difference in hardware and API to program in.

I think any “remastered” game that went from PS3 to PS4 was definitely worth paying for again, for reasons at least due to the hard work and time involved with the programmers porting it without breaking the game while improving the graphics. According to the current PS5 specs, getting a PS4 game to run on a PS5 should be a piece of cake in comparison. My previous comment is solely based on companies getting some easy profit out of it, but I guess Sony isn’t going to allow that, at least in regards to running older games on newer hardware.

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jim Long-un posted:

MGS5 is technically good, like the game play is really solid, but it IMO it's not at all memorable like the other MGS games beyond a few of the story sequences that are extremely good (like the intro mission in The Phantom Pain, the doctor trying to gently break the news to Snake about his injuries really grabbed me). but it's 90% filler and my 50000000000000th time kidnapping a soldier whose stats are incrementally better than one of the other 5000 faceless name-and-stat-rank blobs back at Mother Base will never be more than simply that, a rote task that was kind of fun at the time and nothing more. personally I'd rather have mediocre game play coupled with the screaming insanity of, say, MGS4's batshit story. say what you will about MGS4, but being unmemorable is definitely not an easy criticism to level at it lol

Yeah this. I'd kill for a version of that game that was just the main missions and story, except actually fleshed out and finished. The open world and everything that came with it was a soulless money sink and those resources could've gone towards some proper wacky poo poo.

MGS4 did it right. It was just 15 hours of linear crazy nonsense and no one could call it 'good' - but I'm so glad we have it. I wouldn't really care if MGSV was deleted from the universe (except for the trailers, which were way better than the game).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I guarantee you've forgotten more cut scenes from MGS4 than make up the entirety of V. 4 had poo poo loads of filler but you were watching it instead of playing it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

MMF Freeway posted:

I guarantee you've forgotten more cut scenes from MGS4 than make up the entirety of V. 4 had poo poo loads of filler but you were watching it instead of playing it.

That's a different kind of filler. The filler in MGS5 was cookie cutter side ops. You were playing those on auto-pilot after the first few. I'm not sure I think that's better than watching bonkers cutscenes, even the Mei Ling butt shot cutscenes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MMF Freeway posted:

Different strokes. :shrug:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Yestermoment posted:

I can't wait to oogle over Mads Mikkelson's ghoulishness.

pfff I'm doing it right now

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Not even Kojima's graphical wizards can fully capture the otherworldly movement of Mads' weird fish lips

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Look Sir Droids posted:

That's a different kind of filler. The filler in MGS5 was cookie cutter side ops. You were playing those on auto-pilot after the first few. I'm not sure I think that's better than watching bonkers cutscenes, even the Mei Ling butt shot cutscenes.

What I'm saying that 4 had a bunch of non-bonkers cutscenes.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it's pretty cool how Kojima managed to get a bunch of serious Hollywood actors to say the name "Die Hardman" without laughing

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

That first chapter of MGSV was probably the most invested and immersed in a game than I’ve ever been before. It’s such a shame the second act drops off so dramatically with straight up repeat missions as padding between the unfinished parts of the game.

Still say it’s probably up there with my favorite games ever just from that one chapter. Spent over 400 hours messing around in that game because the Fox Engine was so drat smooth and fun to mess around in.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Steve2911 posted:

MGS4 did it right. It was just 15 hours of linear crazy nonsense and no one could call it 'good'

MGS4 is fantastic

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

CharlestonJew posted:

it's pretty cool how Kojima managed to get a bunch of serious Hollywood actors to say the name "Die Hardman" without laughing

Norman Reedus has been on The Walking Dead for almost a decade. Kojima is an upgrade in the dialog department for him.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just want someone to pay Mads to play Hannibal again. I'll take this in the meantime.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Steve2911 posted:

I just want someone to pay Mads to play Hannibal again. I'll take this in the meantime.

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/1133093208211091456

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Eh, I could see a lot of games getting PS5 ports regardless of BC.

raytracing is supposed to be a big component of PS5 tech, I bet we see ports that add raytracing. It's a more worthy reason to purchase a game again than the "apply sharpening filter to ps3 textures" remasters of yesteryear, even if porting was a tech challenge the consumer experience wasn't very significant.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah this. I'd kill for a version of that game that was just the main missions and story, except actually fleshed out and finished. The open world and everything that came with it was a soulless money sink and those resources could've gone towards some proper wacky poo poo.

MGS4 did it right. It was just 15 hours of linear crazy nonsense and no one could call it 'good' - but I'm so glad we have it. I wouldn't really care if MGSV was deleted from the universe (except for the trailers, which were way better than the game).

Yall are nuts. "No one could call it good" It's good. IT's fun as poo poo. It's wacky and silly and earnest and finally getting the end of Snake's story was stupid and satisfying all at once.

MGS5 should have been a series of Ground Zeroes style missions rather than one big open world. Big mistake. I'm hoping DS makes better use of the open world format this time around.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Re-watching the trailer.

I'd be surprised if this isn't on the nose commentary on social media and the information age. Where MGS2 was predictive, this will look at the aftermath.

I'd also bet the Mads scenes that bookend the trailer is the opening of the game, like the hospital in TPP.
That sounds likely. The scenes seem to be reversed chronologically though with Mads' face covered in blood seemingly after the poo poo went down in the opening. I like how that last little synth musical cue at the end of the trailer uses the same melody as the lullaby Mads' sings earlier.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
If the monster guys from MGSV, the Skull unit, are any indication, I think an emphasis on weird encounters and unexpected poo poo happening during travel would work really well in this game. Some cool chases, 3-way combat situations, poo poo like that. There were glimpses of brilliance in the open world stuff in V for sure.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I loved every single moment of MGS4 and I'd be lying to myself if I said otherwise.

The only bad thing was it had to end.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Donovan Trip posted:

raytracing is supposed to be a big component of PS5 tech, I bet we see ports that add raytracing. It's a more worthy reason to purchase a game again than the "apply sharpening filter to ps3 textures" remasters of yesteryear, even if porting was a tech challenge the consumer experience wasn't very significant.

To me way Cerny described in the hardware reveal sounded more like "uh yeah sure and we'll reserve a few cores for raytracing effects because that's big with the kids these days" rather than designing their entire architecture around it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

UP AND ADAM posted:

If the monster guys from MGSV, the Skull unit, are any indication, I think an emphasis on weird encounters and unexpected poo poo happening during travel would work really well in this game. Some cool chases, 3-way combat situations, poo poo like that. There were glimpses of brilliance in the open world stuff in V for sure.

Yep, I'd put good odds on a lot of surprise encounters like the Man on Fire "boss fight" in TPP.

If the weather system is dynamic and the, whatever you call them, dimensional ooze zombies only come out when it rains, that could be cool.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

WaltherFeng posted:

I loved every single moment of MGS4 and I'd be lying to myself if I said otherwise.

The only bad thing was it had to end.

If I'm being fully honest, I do think that after a certain number of playthroughs, the level where you follow the guy can get dull.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

UP AND ADAM posted:

I really hope DS pushes hard in that direction. Stumbling onto D-Puppy and the Quiet fight was magical, it made the open world feel full of possibility.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gripweed posted:

If I'm being fully honest, I do think that after a certain number of playthroughs, the level where you follow the guy can get dull.

Even on the first playthrough that part sucks. I still love 4 but that part was such a missed opportunity. Snake having to sneak through a civilian area is such a good idea but they dropped the ball.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yall are nuts. "No one could call it good" It's good. IT's fun as poo poo. It's wacky and silly and earnest and finally getting the end of Snake's story was stupid and satisfying all at once.

MGS5 should have been a series of Ground Zeroes style missions rather than one big open world. Big mistake. I'm hoping DS makes better use of the open world format this time around.

Ok it's good. But in the same way that the Mario Movie is good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SeANMcBAY posted:

Even on the first playthrough that part sucks. I still love 4 but that part was such a missed opportunity. Snake having to sneak through a civilian area is such a good idea but they dropped the ball.

It was a neat twist on the typical sneaking formula, you gotta protect a guy without letting him know you're there, it's good

Steve2911 posted:

Ok it's good. But in the same way that the Mario Movie is good.

No it was just good in the way that things are good

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

It sucks THE MOST on the first playthrough because you don't know where the loving guy is going and there's nothing redeeming about it after you figure it out. It's actually better on subsequent playthroughs since you can just beeline it to get it over with. MGS4 owns, but I could do without that part, the on rails shooter part right after it, and the bulk of the Naomi and Vamp cutscenes.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I really didn't find MGS4 that fun, and most of the story stuff just wasn't that interesting. For all its faults V was a much more appealing game to me. I'm really glad Kojima was finally able to get away from the baggage of the series while still showing off the kind of stuff he loves.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Steve2911 posted:

The most disappointing thing about that in MGS5 was how you had this big open world and this huge private army and various buddies and then for the final boss fight it's like YOU'RE NOT GOING ALONE BIG BOSS WE'LL BE FIGHTING ALONGSIDE YOU and it's just, like, the same one helicopter you've had since the beginning of the game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
In PW theres a similar scene but literally everyone from Motherbase shows up to save Boss.

Peace Walker was really good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Peace Walker was better than V in a few respects. Like having coop missions.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
What are the odds this turns into another MGS5 where everything we've just seen is literally 100% of the cutscenes and dialogue because the main characters are expensive as poo poo?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bedshaped posted:

What are the odds this turns into another MGS5 where everything we've just seen is literally 100% of the cutscenes and dialogue because the main characters are expensive as poo poo?

it's possible but it won't be for lack of resources, since kojima's budget for this caper appears to be "$Yes"

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

exquisite tea posted:

To me way Cerny described in the hardware reveal sounded more like "uh yeah sure and we'll reserve a few cores for raytracing effects because that's big with the kids these days" rather than designing their entire architecture around it.

Yeah the PS5 has no raytracing hardware (nore will the... XBox poo poo we did not think far ahead when we called the third one the One). They also aren't going to be incredibly huge leaps forward, so realistically a solid 4k/30 is the best you can expect for the average PS4 > PS5 move.

Bedshaped posted:

Extremely good. People like to blame Konami for the stuff that went wrong with MGS 5, but in reality Kojima had an enormous amount of time, money, and control and didn't even come close to finishing a game. His best games were the ones made on tight schedules, low budgets, and intense pressure from above. Death Stranding has been in development for 3+ years with Kojima again having a huge budget and no apparent oversight, so while it'll probably be a good game, it's also probably going to be shockingly disappointing in certain ways. Still, MGS5 is hands down the best stealth game ever made and Kojima finally learned how to design game mechanics so there are some reasons to be very optimistic.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Die-Hardman?

Hell loving yeah!!!!!!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bedshaped posted:

:negative:

Hopefully we'll at least get a poo poo load of Troy Baker.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's worth pointing out that a lot of MGSV's development was spent on building out Fox Engine. Getting Decima probably saved a mountain of engineering work, even if Kojipro spent some time improving it. And a lot of MGSV's development would have been experimentation and playtesting around open world game design and third-person action controls, which may not need to be repeated judging from gameplay in the trailers. MGSV was in development for close to seven years, three years is a much more reasonable timeline and gives me confidence that this time Kojima bit off something he could finish chewing.

Another good sign: DS didn't even have an announced release year until 6 months before release. This isn't MGSV's long forced march to an unreleastic ship date, this looks more like releasing once it's done.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 30, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That's disappointing about the raytracing, I heard something different in another thread. Maybe ps5 pro will embrace it fully.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Donovan Trip posted:

That's disappointing about the raytracing, I heard something different in another thread. Maybe ps5 pro will embrace it fully.

Cerny dropped ray-tracing in an interview specifically to whip up hype like this. Pretend it was never mentioned until you actually see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Do people really care that much about raytracing?

I'm not sure it's a big hype generator when 95% of the market doesn't know what it is.