Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I seem to be getting more zipline links as I progress. Someone in here said they link mostly with people around their porter level, which makes sense and explains the increase as I progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You should also delete any online structures that aren't useful. Those will be eventually replaced by other, hopefully more useful ones.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

WaltherFeng posted:

You should also delete any online structures that aren't useful. Those will be eventually replaced by other, hopefully more useful ones.

or the same useless bridge i keep deleting keeps coming back no matter what i did until i built a pointless postbox to stop it from showing up ever again

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Ostensibly, when you die, if you touch other people in the seam you increase your chances of swapping buildings with them

I don’t know if that’s the same as the Strand Contracts you can make in the Bridge Links but if you trip across people with useful stuff you should make contracts with them so you can get more useful stuff

alternatively just contract with the funniest names you find

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Was I supposed to lose all my stuff at the beginning of Chapter 10? I thought it said my stuff was in the private locker of the safehouse but it wasn't. Not a huge issue since I have a shitton of resources but I lost 2 of my Chiral boots :(

Also the plot sure goes off the rails after chapter 8 huh? Every 5 minutes something happened that made me say "wait, what?".

RatHat fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 1, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I absolutely thought it was going somewhere in that general direction, yes, and was pleasantly surprised to be wrong-- it's impressive how frequently the game hits those "You've played an RPG before, you know exactly where this questgiver is going! Haha no you don't we're playing it straight and they're actually fine" points, it's like a reverse Yoko Taro game

The recurring thing always seems to be we did the lovely thing for either noble reasons, or what we thought were noble reasons at the time-- both in terms of Bridges 1 and everything around it, and later on when Amelie does a secret heel-turn and Bridges still thinks she's on the up-and-up-- and even then she's got the flawed-but-valid-to-her "spare everyone suffering and get it over with" rationale going on. The fact that there only seems to be one Cliff does beg the question of if the other BBs were "more ethically sourced", though-- assuming that every one of the seemingly-many BBs, both the ones in BT-detection use by porters and the ones stuck being a Knot node, came from "we're stealing your kid and killing you if you complain" kinds of situations, you'd think there'd be more vengeful parent chiral supercells floating around.

There's a lot of really bad places you can go with it but since the implication in-game is there's more than one stillmother and they're effectively interchangable when it comes to "syncing up" whatever BBs with in-womb conditions, I'm going to just pretend they're growing BBs in vats and using people who happen to be brain dead as pseudo-VR goggles for BBs.

I kinda figured Cliff powered up cause of his direct connections to Sam/Bridget/Amelie/Deadman. Alternatively they have a BB shortage because after Cliff they are trying to source them somewhat ethically?

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I’m trying to play God of War and it pisses me off that I can’t climb over anything I want.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I got angry that there were four or five bullshit invisible walls in Death Stranding I encountered.

Now I’m playing Nier Automata and it’s 90% bullshit invisible walls

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think I only ever encountered one legitimate invisible wall, but there are a few 'soft' invisible walls that Sam clearly could climb up but just chooses not to- probably most obvious is the small mountain on the way to the Musician near Port Knot City, he just won't do it no matter how long you rub his face against the Sam-height cliff near the top. You can get up there very easily if you come at it from the Port Knot side, but you can't put ladders and stuff on the cliff so you can't do it from the Musician side. Probably trying to keep people from being able to dodge the BT zone in the way until they pass through it at least once and can drop a rope down from the top.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 2, 2020

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I tried to go South around the South Knot tar pit (to avoid the BT zone up north), and that's an invisible wall.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah that whole area along the cliffs near the Chiral Artist's Mother is one big "Sam just will not climb this" zone but eventually it feeds out into normal gently caress-you-turn-back videogame land as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, speaking of dev-intended routes, has anyone received songs that never played during the relevant mission? The first Mountain Knot Waystation visit that takes you past the abandoned factory claims to play "Breathe In", but no matter how much I wander around after exiting the BT zone I can't find where it triggers.

edit: The final mission of chapter 3 also claims to play "Gosia" and I haven't heard either one I don't think. Perhaps you have to stash the supplies in the private locker and go back for them after doing the more urgent part? I also missed "Rolling Over" on the way to the Photographer during Chapter 6 even though you have to walk by the area where it plays as far as I know.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 2, 2020

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Death Stranding deep into Chapter 15 makes the ending more sensible to me. I, too, am basically done with this and moving on. The obligatory post-game fuckaround retroactively informing Sam's decision feels too weird to be intentional but it's a weird game so idk.

It's hosed up that ammonites have souls but dogs don't.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BBQ Dave posted:

I’m trying to play God of War and it pisses me off that I can’t climb over anything I want.

I was playing Breath of the Wild yesterday on my GIRLFRIEND's switch and genuinely wishing I had the odradek to tell me where stuff was.

Seriously I even pressed RB out of habit. It's me, I'm homo ludens.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

I was playing Breath of the Wild yesterday on my GIRLFRIEND's switch and genuinely wishing I had the odradek to tell me where stuff was.

Seriously I even pressed RB out of habit. It's me, I'm homo ludens.

I had the exact same experience replaying BotW recently. Link doesn't even need to see the rough terrain but I couldn't stop pressing RB from time to time.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

I had the exact same experience replaying BotW recently. Link doesn't even need to see the rough terrain but I couldn't stop pressing RB from time to time.

Same but Monster Hunter World and theres tons of collectible stuff littered around the world I'd just love to scan and grab.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
In Chapter 8 and deciding to get everyone up to 5 stars before doing the Heartman missions that apparently take you towards endgame.

Who is this pizza wanker, why is he such a twat, and why aren't his stars moving? Is it possible to get him up to 5 stars?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pizza guy is special, you have to complete all his missions to 5* him and the last one won't come until later.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The best way to “cheese” 5-stars is:
- Get a bunch of poo poo for a person
- Get to them
- Dump all but one order’s worth of stuff into their private locker, turn just that one in, and see what happens

If you end up at “all but a fraction of a star” levels it’s probably bound by either a specific quest (which usually means check their terminal for an order that has you going out to find cargo and come back), you sleeping and reading their followup email, or sometimes even just “The game can’t handle giving you a backpack dongle and a star at the same time”— in which case you can literally just immediately turn in another order as a seperate transaction and keep gaining rep

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I couldn't figure out how to cross the tar belt so Die-Hardman had to tell me, then when I did that he's all "Wow I never would've thought of that!".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If only he said it in a really sarcastic tone of voice.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I saw a stream where someone got a voidout in the tar belt and I was blown away at the game going "well, I guess you can walk around the crater to get to the next side"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So (ending spoilers) why all the secrecy at the end with Sam going off the grid to remove Lou from the pod? He saved the world, president Die Hardman would probably let him do whatever he wanted. Lou couldn't be used as a BB anymore anyway so it's not like Sam was taking valuable hardware.

Also why was Sam special as a BB?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

RatHat posted:

So (ending spoilers) why all the secrecy at the end with Sam going off the grid to remove Lou from the pod? He saved the world, president Die Hardman would probably let him do whatever he wanted. Lou couldn't be used as a BB anymore anyway so it's not like Sam was taking valuable hardware.

I think there was a very real risk BB would die right there, meaning it would trigger an instant voidout with Sam and possibly taking the entire capital with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RatHat posted:

Yeah this kinda confused me as well. Deadman is like "we both know you can't disobey an executive order" but... an executive order from who??? Die Hardman just called him a hero like five minutes prior.

WaltherFeng posted:

I think there was a very real risk BB would die right there, meaning it would trigger an instant voidout with Sam and possibly taking the entire capital with it.

There's no reason for a voidout to happen though. No BTs around.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Yeah this kinda confused me as well. Deadman is like "we both know you can't disobey an executive order" but... an executive order from who??? Die Hardman just called him a hero like five minutes prior.

There's no reason for a voidout to happen though. No BTs around.

but what if BB dies?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Hypothetically, voiding out the incinerator that serves half the entire country would be a real bad scene.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WaltherFeng posted:

but what if BB dies?

Why would that cause a voidout? The only time voidouts happen is when a BT eats a living person. Unless you mean BB would become a BT, but that would take several hours if it happens at all, which it might not. A person dying just releases chiral energy into the air that attracts BTs, they don't come back as a BT automatically.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 3, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Sam does void out, it's just much smaller.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Why would that cause a voidout? The only time voidouts happen is when a BT eats a living person.

somehow in my mind some things like BBs turn into BTs instantly after dying. At first it made sense in my head. Maybe because they have such a strong connection to the beach.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

WaltherFeng posted:

somehow in my mind some things like BBs turn into BTs instantly after dying. At first it made sense in my head.

I was going to say “surely it wouldn’t” but it does make sense given the first voidout on record happened immediately because of what would eventually be known as a BB. The whole point is that they’re half on one side, half on the other; if they die there’s probably a pretty instantaneous oh-poo poo situation that potentially happens there

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Zushio posted:

Sam does void out, it's just much smaller.

But it's still when a BT gets ahold of him, if he repatriates from like falling off a cliff or some poo poo there's no voidout.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Was Sam the first BB? Or just the first Repatriate?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Was Sam the first BB? Or just the first Repatriate?

First repatriate because him being one caused the death stranding in the first place; not the first "baby born under a situation that would cause them to be half on the beach" but probably the first one in a pod and made use of

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

First repatriate because him being one caused the death stranding in the first place; not the first "baby born under a situation that would cause them to be half on the beach" but probably the first one in a pod and made use of

I did not get that Sam caused the Death Stranding. Or was that his wife/kid? I thought it occurred before then.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

thehoodie posted:

I did not get that Sam caused the Death Stranding. Or was that his wife/kid? I thought it occurred before then.

Bridget dicking around with the cross-over between life and death by bringing Sam back to life is what caused the Death Stranding. His wifes situation had to be at some point afterwards because there were BT's around. uhhh and also he was not a fetus with a wife lol.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

thehoodie posted:

Amelie spends a bunch of time monologuing about how the universe abhors life and it was all a mistake that the universe as a whole has been trying to revert back since, I initially took that as bunch of melodramatic monologuing but apparently there's at least some grain of truth to it because Sam being brought back from the dead directly resulted in the Real World and the Seam/Beaches overlapping enough that else anyone who died could just cross back over as a BT looking for their body, if their body wasn't incinerated

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Bridget dicking around with the cross-over between life and death by bringing Sam back to life is what caused the Death Stranding. His wifes situation had to be at some point afterwards because there were BT's around. uhhh and also he was not a fetus with a wife lol.

OK that kind of makes sense. But obviously there wasn't a voidout at that initial stage of repatriation. I guess it just created the opportunity for the voidouts?

Though, what caused the previous 5 extinction events, then? Some dinosaur loving around and bringing a baby Dino back to life? Or I guess the EEs have some sentience even though life then did not, and humans are some exception and therefore were able to resist the extinction event in part? I suppose that meshes with the game's theme of social connectivity and human love being the way to resist extinction.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

RatHat posted:

I took it more that Bridges and UCA has been treating BBs as equipment, rather than being human beings.

Taking BB out and having her grow up kind of exposes that. (Does anyone besides DHM and Sam know a BB can be removed and survive?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

thehoodie posted:

OK that kind of makes sense. But obviously there wasn't a voidout at that initial stage of repatriation. I guess it just created the opportunity for the voidouts?

Though, what caused the previous 5 extinction events, then? Some dinosaur loving around and bringing a baby Dino back to life? Or I guess the EEs have some sentience even though life then did not, and humans are some exception and therefore were able to resist the extinction event in part? I suppose that meshes with the game's theme of social connectivity and human love being the way to resist extinction.

Previous Events' BTs probably just killed everything or nearly everything. They start coming over to the living world as soon as the Extinction Entity connects the two worlds by ending up on the Beach. Amelie directly causing the Death Stranding is more like firing a cannon at a sinking ship that's already got a bunch of holes in it. As soon as she was yanked from Bridget's body and sent to the Beach as the Extinction Entity, the BTs could come over and start gobbling people up. With the Death Stranding, now there's no barrier and the two worlds are basically one until the Extinction Event is over.

Amelie's choice is to either let this Extinction Event play out and pray that humans survive it, or unleash BT hell and just wipe everything in the living world out. She tells you directly (in so many words) that, yes, as silly as it sounds the dinosaur and trilobite EEs and all that stuff did also have this choice but they went with the former out of compassion.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 3, 2020