Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Like am I wrong to assume that Death Stranding probably has all of Silent Hills original ideas likely adapted for it, or does the timeline not support that possibility, I forget the whens of everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

You’d wrong to assume that because there’s no way you could possibly know whether or not it’s true

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

There's probably an inspiration there, because many of the Silent Hill games had a distinct theme to their hell dimensions. Rust in 2, flesh in 3, ice in Shattered Memories, water in Downpour; Death Stranding appears to have war.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I think Kojima adapted his planned ideas for Silent Hill to this game, but I don't think it's going to be recognizable that this was in any way a Silent Hill game. For instance, probably no joke jar babies or piss mushrooms in Silent Hill. They might be in there, but it wouldn't be whimsy.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

net cafe scandal posted:

You’d wrong to assume that because there’s no way you could possibly know whether or not it’s true

It could be an educated guess based on the director's previous history :shrug:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Death Stranding: Norman Reedus pees and carries fetus

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Norman......Peedus

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

bear is driving! posted:

The fact that they refer to a "chrial network" and "chiral allergy" may have something to do with the worlds being mirrors, maybe? Chirality is a real thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirality_(chemistry)

I guarantee you kojima understand chirality just enough to get it all wrong in the most entertaining ways. Lookin' forward to these ghost babies.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Just saw someone in a completely unrelated thread melting down about this game so good job Kojima.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Norman "Fetus Piss" Reedus

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

marktheando posted:

Just saw someone in a completely unrelated thread melting down about this game so good job Kojima.

Link?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

bear is driving! posted:

The fact that they refer to a "chrial network" and "chiral allergy" may have something to do with the worlds being mirrors, maybe? Chirality is a real thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirality_(chemistry)

yeah he's definitely going for something like that. but i dunno if it's going to be more than "hey this word sounds cool and has something to do with mirrors."
though your two hands are chiral objects. which might be why there's 'hand' imagery everywhere.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Chiral is going to be the new wolbachia which was the new nanomachines.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Chiral copulation

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

marktheando posted:

You can't post this without a link.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I just want to be able to hit someone with the ladder and I'll be satisfied.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Black August posted:

Like am I wrong to assume that Death Stranding probably has all of Silent Hills original ideas likely adapted for it, or does the timeline not support that possibility, I forget the whens of everything

:actually: This is a spiritual sequel to the most recent Metal Gear game, Metal Gear Survive. In Survive, the protagonist is cast into a parallel universe and must find ways to make connections to the people and objects from the original universe in order to bridge the worlds and find a way home

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Spite posted:

yeah he's definitely going for something like that. but i dunno if it's going to be more than "hey this word sounds cool and has something to do with mirrors."
though your two hands are chiral objects. which might be why there's 'hand' imagery everywhere.

In physics chiral objects are things that either have left handedness or right handedness... to describe this type of symmetry

but actually 'handedness' was the concept that came first as chiral comes from Chir, the greek word for 'hand'

There are some particles which don't exhibit chirality, and some where their right handed variants either fundamentally cannot exist or do not interact with other particles in our universe, meaning there could be a literal mirror universe that they do exist in superimposed on ours albiet with different physics which is inaccessible to us

You can think of it like, if I spin this top to the left it spins just fine, but if I spin it to the right it blips out of existence, or blips into a mirror universe

Interestingly a woman from near Shanghai who was married to Yuan Shikai's grandson was the first to prove this but experimentalists rarely get the fame of theoreticians, especially women of color

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 23, 2019

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I watched this and while most Kojima theory crafting videos are dumb, this one makes some compelling arguments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr4RvdREwl8

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Look Sir Droids posted:

Chiral is going to be the new wolbachia which was the new nanomachines.
you got the superior left-handed genes, I got the inferior right-handed ones

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
We know that Norman Peedus, but what about Mads' Mikkelshlong?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
And lest we forget our pal Guillermo del Dicko

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Nicopiss Windong Refn

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Modest Mao posted:

There are some particles which don't exhibit chirality, and some where their right handed variants either fundamentally cannot exist or do not interact with other particles in our universe, meaning there could be a literal mirror universe that they do exist in superimposed on ours albiet with different physics which is inaccessible to us

That's very interesting. In biochemistry chirality applies to any complex asymmetrical molecule. Chiral organic molecules only function properly with other appropriately chiral molecules, in the same way that you can easily shake someone's hand right-to-right, but if you try to shake someone's left hand with your right hand they don't line up properly and you have to do a weird different sort of grip.

One of the bigger implications of this is how literally every amino acid in every organism on the planet is left handed, if you were to eat food from the mirror universe where all the proteins were made out of right-handed amino acids, even though the food would have identical chemical properties; it would cook the same, look the same, feel the same, have the same melting points, flash points, etc, you would still starve to death because your ribosomes are built to use left-handed only, and just couldn't use the right-handed amino acids to build your proteins.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Death Stranding: Norman Reedus pees and carries fetus

My name is Norman Reedus and I'm in town with my fetus

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Holy poo poo I just realized this is a retelling of Lone Wolf and Cub. Kojima does it again!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Have we actually seen Norman in the nightmare/other world? We've seen Guillermo del Pisso and mads dickleson there but not Norman Fetus

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Donovan Trip posted:

Have we actually seen Norman in the nightmare/other world? We've seen Guillermo del Pisso and mads dickleson there but not Norman Fetus

One of the trailers had him crouch walking next to a WWI tank and I think another showed him in a dark void, which I think is what happens when you die.

Gonna pee on a tank.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

november seems like an eternity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMEg6mfTfF4&t=420s

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Donovan Trip posted:

I think the very first trailer where Sam's naked and the trailer where there's a tall weird alien thing in the distance and then an explosion that plunges Sam underwater, that those were both in the alternate world

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
we've seen him shooting dudes in a ww1 trench

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

acksplode posted:

I think the very first trailer where Sam's naked and the trailer where there's a tall weird alien thing in the distance and then an explosion that plunges Sam underwater, that those were both in the alternate world

those two trailers both had BT's present, and they only manifest like that in our world

the WW1 re-enactment though is definitely on the other side. did any other games besides The Darkness use the trenches as a Hell analogue?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Oxxidation posted:

at some point before the game's events a Bad Thing happened that somehow smashed together the real world and the afterlife, which resulted in such fun phenomena as the "timefall" (raindrops are now literally full of time, which results in rapid aging of anything that gets caught in the rain without proper protection), the BT's or "Beached Things" (refugees/phantoms from the afterlife that act aggressively towards anyone in our world and can't be detected without extremely specialized equipment), and predicaments like those for Heartman (who's routinely yanked into the afterlife and back) or Mama (her baby was somehow born into the other side, resulting in her being literally tied down by its umbilical cord if she wants it to go on living). people caught by the BT's are dragged down to the other side and generate massive explosions, which might be related to the theory of relativity in some vague way. thanks to all this stuff, the world is in pieces, humanity's hanging on by a thread, and civilization has broken down. several courier groups such as BRIDGES and FRAGILE exist to maintain some semblance of connection and cooperation between the isolated outposts of mankind, while terrorist groups like Homo Demens are gleefully trying to cut everyone off from each other for good

it's basic speculative fiction with kojima's usual socio-political schtick tacked on, it's only been confusing because we've been getting information drip-fed to us and most of the imagery involved is unconventionally weird

This is good however theres a few things you are missing. For a start the Bad Thing that happened is the titular Death Stranding. Sam I'm guessing was physically affected by that by his body developing a chiral allergy which I"m guessing means he is literally allergic to other people (hence why I suspect why Deadman and Goeff Keighley are shown communicating to him through holograms) and also the ability to sense BTs he shares this condition with Fragile and Higgs. I Also suspect that his pregnant wife also died during the Death Stranding as well as Heartman's family. Lnidsay Wagner's character is the former president of the united states and after the Death Stranding has been working to bring the country back together through the delivery company Bridges as well as connecting pockets of civilization up to the chiral network. In the Pre-Death Stranding days a similar network to the chiral network was established and used by Mads' Cliff to cause the Death Stranding. On her deathbed she asks Sam to continue her work seeing as how nobody else in Birdges is capable of doing the work (Heartman literally dies every twenty one minutes, Mama has her BT baby, Deadman is some kind of scientist and isn't able to do the task, Die-Hardman I'm guessing is some kind of bureaucrat in charge of running Bridges or has some other kind of deal going on with him.)

I got a lot of this stuff just by watching a video of all the trailers played back to back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xURNe6Svd68

Oxxidation posted:

the WW1 re-enactment though is definitely on the other side. did any other games besides The Darkness use the trenches as a Hell analogue?

I think there was Necrovision, but I'm not sure.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 26, 2019

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Oxxidation posted:

those two trailers both had BT's present, and they only manifest like that in our world

Clive Barkers Jericho had a level that was hell WW2.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Leaked cellphone footage of some behind the curtains death stranding stuff- 7 minutes from the start of the game. https://streamable.com/mjddp

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Donovan Trip posted:

Leaked cellphone footage of some behind the curtains death stranding stuff- 7 minutes from the start of the game. https://streamable.com/mjddp

Exciting stuff, I wonder what gets Sam on board with everyone else?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
lol the handcuffs they wear are just "symbols of their carnal bonds". There goes my theory they were some kind of connection to another world person

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1165761470694445056?s=20

🤔

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Lol it's gonna be a straight walking sim where all the weird stuff we've seen in trailers so far is just poo poo Norman Reedus thinks about while he pees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That boy needs therapy. He's crazy in the coconut!