Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Khanstant posted:

I just keep at it, never quite get the timing perfect but just push the stick up and down repeatedly at some regularish pace and he'll eventually start laughing.

??????????????????

My dudes, you literally just slowly move the controller up and down at a slow pace. It's not that complicated!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Macaluso posted:

??????????????????

My dudes, you literally just slowly move the controller up and down at a slow pace. It's not that complicated!!

On PC that's not how it works by default, only if you have a PS4 controller in and change the relevant settings option. All the motion controls (rotating the map for terrain heights, rocking BB etc) were moved to the sticks by default so people with xbone/switch/steam controllers can still do them without swapping to mkb.

I can understand the confusion in how hard to rock BB if you're using the left stick, the input is a bit finnicky. Try flicking it up and back to neutral in time with Sam's arm movements instead of pushing it and keeping it held. Each "push" from neutral to the edge of the stick and back should be one rock.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 12, 2020

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I keep forgetting this game came out on PC

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Death Stranding: You should be able to shake BB more to calm him down

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Question about Mama:

She survived by drinking timefall rain? Shouldn't that, you know, age her?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Timefall rain turns into normal water after it hits something, so it was probably runoff.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Fair enough, that looked like it was coming straight from the sky but i'll give them a cinematography pass there, because I assume that looks much cooler than "stacked rubble".

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Today I’ve learned through the magic of videogames and shaking newborn/unborns is a bad idea. Thanks thread

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

buglord posted:

Today I’ve learned through the magic of videogames and shaking newborn/unborns is a bad idea. Thanks thread

Driving fast with them is good though. Don’t forget that.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Midjack posted:

Driving fast with them is good though. Don’t forget that.

Can confirm

https://i.imgur.com/5R0Eu8Z.mp4

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
BB enjoying sick jumps and stuff also checks out. My dad told me when I was fussy as a baby he'd throw me in the back of the Camaro and drive around until I fell asleep or cheered up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This game is Good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

buglord posted:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, if you're playing the game on PC, I recommend swapping the anti-aliasing from TAA to FXAA. Temporal anti aliasing is generally better for eliminating jagged pixelated edges in exchange for a slight performance hit, but the real reason to use FXAA instead is this:

Note the smearing. This is with motion blur turned off. I imagine this might be why some folks are saying the game stutters when you turn the camera fast- it isn't actually stuttering, it's just TAA causing some pretty gnarly interlacing.

After swapping to FXAA and rotating the camera full speed, smearing is gone.

edit: DLSS has its own anti aliasing solution and you can't change the normal AA setting while using it, so I don't think it has this problem. Unable to check right now though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 13, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DLSS doesn't have the motion smearing problem, definitely use it if your card supports it.

https://youtube.com/watch?t=16m&v=ggnvhFSrPGE

There's a bug with cryptobiote particles rendering weirdly with DLSS but aside from that it's both faster and higher quality than TAA.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
DLSS is what ended up causing the 30 fps cutscene bug for me unfortunately, I haven't had it happen since turning DLSS off.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Oops :O

How in the world do I get level 60 cargo condition? I just did a 300KG retrieval mission of fragile items, but got 0 cargo condition experience. Its driving me crazy because its one of the last achievements I need.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

buglord posted:

Oops :O

How in the world do I get level 60 cargo condition? I just did a 300KG retrieval mission of fragile items, but got 0 cargo condition experience. Its driving me crazy because its one of the last achievements I need.

Deliveries that specify that cargo condition is the main goal will do it. They’ll have the icon with the two hands holding a cube thats on that point of the star. Deliver with no damage for points in that category.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I had a very Death Stranding experience yesterday.
https://www.twitch.tv/shinmera/clip/EnjoyableDignifiedSnakePrimeMe

night slime
May 14, 2014
One of the best parts of the game was just sitting there fuming after a fall, admittedly maybe more in retrospect.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Would one of you folks be kind enough to send me a PC version save file? Any will do, I'm fiddling around with under the hood stuff and need a save file from someone else's game. They're located at "C:\Users\[YOUR PC-NAME]\AppData\Local\KojimaProductions\DeathStranding\[YOUR STEAM ID]". I just need a "checkpoint.dat" from any of the "manualsaveX" folders.

edit: Early game would be better, and it can't be from chapter 9 onward. Other than that there are no specific requirements.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 13, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I remember guys at Metal Gear Mondays playing Death Stranding and one of them dropped Mama accidentally in the water from a bridge and watched her float away.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

night slime posted:

One of the best parts of the game was just sitting there fuming after a fall, admittedly maybe more in retrospect.

I cannot relate to this experience as I am such a Pro-Strat Gamer that I simply do not fall down.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

night slime posted:

My successful deliveries were not nearly as memorable as my gently caress-ups. The feeling of "...well, poo poo" in both Sam and I here comes through perfectly and really made me relate to the early cinematic where he loses the trike over the cliff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zub0rtymn8

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly the only gently caress up i really remember is when i said "ah it'll be fine, i'll leave this here (truck full of goods for the film guy) and sprint over to the chiral artists mother using this speed suit. That way i'll avoid all the bt's as well!

My truck didn't despawn, but all deliveries did. I was kinda pissed. Especially as it despawned as i hit the menu to deliver the mothers stuff.

night slime
May 14, 2014

dogstile posted:

Honestly the only gently caress up i really remember is when i said "ah it'll be fine, i'll leave this here (truck full of goods for the film guy) and sprint over to the chiral artists mother using this speed suit. That way i'll avoid all the bt's as well!

My truck didn't despawn, but all deliveries did. I was kinda pissed. Especially as it despawned as i hit the menu to deliver the mothers stuff.

Yeah I remember a bunch of times early on I would leave stuff outside and see the warning that I'm too far away, then try to turn around only to be going the wrong direction away from it and helplessly watch as the other world notification shows up.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
im like at 99% achievement completion, just need 7 more memory chip collectables to nab. I was kinda guilty at first that I had to use the interactive map on IGN.com, but more than a handful of these were in places I would have never run into otherwise. Some of them dont show up on your UI until you're actually looking directly at them from like 5 feet away, oddly. Its why I missed one that I passed by at ground level countless times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can ping collectible chips with the odradek or a watchtower but even that's kinda unreliable if they're blocked from the scan by a wall or debris. I really recommend anyone looking to find them all just use a map, they are teeny tiny and some of em don't show up until you raise your connection level with various facilities.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Observation Towers are good for ferreting out some of those little chips. I usually ignore them but in the mountains I used one and found like 5 or 6 in this one tower field of view. Havent grabbed em yet, lot of em seem pretty tricky and trudging around the snow wears your stuff down so fast

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I beat it 100% what do I do now

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Congratulations, you have completed your training! While you will certainly continue to learn on the job, you are now ready to work in a self-directed capacity!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

buglord posted:

become a MULE, never stop playing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

buglord posted:

See the sunset, the day is ending........

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Loading this up after being away for half the year. Wonder if everything I’ve built has decayed away?

night slime
May 14, 2014

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Loading this up after being away for half the year. Wonder if everything I’ve built has decayed away?

Time only passes when you're in game. It's possible or even likely that people would have donated to you and gotten things even more pristine, actually.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just got this game and I love it already. I hope I just deliver poo poo or something besides getting into shootouts all the time. I’m too old and lazy for that kind of game anymore. So far this is slow and weird, and that’s perfect.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Snowy posted:

I just got this game and I love it already. I hope I just deliver poo poo or something besides getting into shootouts all the time. I’m too old and lazy for that kind of game anymore. So far this is slow and weird, and that’s perfect.

Get to episode 3 as soon as possible.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Snowy posted:

There's a handful of combat setpieces. As soon as those start, pause the game and dial down the difficult to Very Easy. Idk what your goals for the game are but you can still 100% the game even if you cheese those with minimal difficulty.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

buglord posted:

There's a handful of combat setpieces. As soon as those start, pause the game and dial down the difficult to Very Easy. Idk what your goals for the game are but you can still 100% the game even if you cheese those with minimal difficulty.

Good to know, I can put up with a little but I’m pretty happy it’s not another metal gear so far at least. I’m sad to see it might be a flop because this appears to be quite my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Combat is far between. There's a couple of "shooty" sections and all you're really doing in those is walking forward and shooting the guy in front of you, no twitch reflexes required. They move slow.