Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014

MasterBuilder posted:

if you need to be stealthy to 100% the game I'll go back and do it.

If you completed the mission, nothing is changed by how you did it, other than how long it takes you. Only thing to keep in mind is when you unlock the Legend of Legends challenge deliveries and might have trouble with them if you don't use stealth. Don't remember the junk collector BT mission, but I know it's pretty hard to make good time for the Craftsman retrieval mission if you fight the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I started another playthrough. I beat the game at launch and haven't touched it since. Then got it for PC cause I got a baller gaming rig now.

Is the Cyberpunk stuff marked differently than regular missions/deliveries?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Romes128 posted:

I started another playthrough. I beat the game at launch and haven't touched it since. Then got it for PC cause I got a baller gaming rig now.

Is the Cyberpunk stuff marked differently than regular missions/deliveries?

Yup. Cyberpunk missions are marked with a V and Half-Life missions are marked with a Lambda. You'll get an email from various folks once there's a Cyberpunk/HL item to go find and then it'll appear at the noted waystation's mission list.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Isn't 32 gigs a big update for a couple of missions and 3 items? Seems weird, maybe PC bug fixes though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

night slime posted:

Isn't 32 gigs a big update for a couple of missions and 3 items? Seems weird, maybe PC bug fixes though.

The game is compressed into big encrypted pack files like this:

so any time any content changes in one of these packs, the entire pack needs to be redownloaded. It could be one byte signed differently, it's gotta be reencrypted. Sadly, gone are the days where devs just laid out the game files in plaintext like die_hardman_introduces_himself_version_045346236.mp3.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

CJacobs posted:

The game is compressed into big encrypted pack files like this:

so any time any content changes in one of these packs, the entire pack needs to be redownloaded. It could be one byte signed differently, it's gotta be reencrypted. Sadly, gone are the days where devs just laid out the game files in plaintext like die_hardman_introduces_himself_version_045346236.mp3.

This is not strictly true as Steam does do binary patching to avoid redownloading entire binary files. Depending on how they pack the files though, far more bytes than necessary can move, forcing larger patches.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That patch also removed Denuvo so maybe they previously used that to encrypt the files, and now they're unencrypted? That would mean re-downloading nearly everything.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
First time in the snow (just after reaching Mountain Knot City) and I feel like I want to stubbornly continue despite it being a terrible loving idea

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

First time in the snow (just after reaching Mountain Knot City) and I feel like I want to stubbornly continue despite it being a terrible loving idea

I did this and... yeah it's a pretty terrible loving idea.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Stubbornly continuing on what I was pretty sure was a bad idea gave me some of my most memorable moments so I say go for it.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Found a shelter to rest and it made things a lot easier, although a pity I don't have an order to bring it into the network. Halfway there and most of the climbing is finished I think.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Are there any lost cargo for that station lying around? I was able to access one of the mountain preppers roboticist before the plot led me there because of lost cargo, but I don't know if that's possible for all of them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bedshaped posted:

real porters reach mountain knot by carrying mama over the pass from the weather station :colbert:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 30, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Johnny Truant posted:

I did this and... yeah it's a pretty terrible loving idea.

Is there a better route?

I'm about to come up to that part of the game again. First time around I think I did something similar to that and it was easily the worst part of the game for me.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm only in episode 3 but "continuing on despite it being a bad idea" feels like a defining philosophy for this game. I've never reloaded when things have gone bad or I've made a dumb decision and it's always made the game more interesting.

One thing that might be dumb: as I said I'm in episode 3, and I'm fairly sure I'm near the end as I've just been told to go to South Knot City and that Fragile is there, so it sounds like I'm about to get hit with more plot. However now that I have a bola gun and a Bridges truck I'm concentrating on rolling through Mule territory and stealing thousands of ceramics to fuel my road expansion towards South Knot. Is this a bad idea at this point in the game?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

I'm only in episode 3 but "continuing on despite it being a bad idea" feels like a defining philosophy for this game. I've never reloaded when things have gone bad or I've made a dumb decision and it's always made the game more interesting.

One thing that might be dumb: as I said I'm in episode 3, and I'm fairly sure I'm near the end as I've just been told to go to South Knot City and that Fragile is there, so it sounds like I'm about to get hit with more plot. However now that I have a bola gun and a Bridges truck I'm concentrating on rolling through Mule territory and stealing thousands of ceramics to fuel my road expansion towards South Knot. Is this a bad idea at this point in the game?

Building roads to get around easier is something most people I know did early on.

I'm also in ep 3 and just finished the road from Lake Knot down to the distro center South of Lake Knot.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

That's fair enough, as long as I'm not two story missions away from unlocking something that synthesises ceramic from the air or whatever.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nah. You’re in the right track. The general strat has always been to rob mules.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Romes128 posted:

Is there a better route?

I'm about to come up to that part of the game again. First time around I think I did something similar to that and it was easily the worst part of the game for me.

As far as I can remember, nope. That's just a fuckin slog. I never really set up ziplines, so I really just.. didn't enjoy a lot of snow trekking.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Wafflecopper posted:

real porters reach mountain knot by carrying mama's body over the pass from the weather station :colbert:

I love that this game gives me the freedom to gamify my worst instincts. I've got 2x ladders, 2x climbing anchors and 4x PCC level 2 for the ziplines

edit: well poo poo, you can't build ziplines outside of the chiral network... that sucks

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 30, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bedshaped posted:

edit: well poo poo, you can't build ziplines outside of the chiral network... that sucks

Gotta get there the hard way once.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Romes128 posted:

Nah. You’re in the right track. The general strat has always been to rob mules.

I just discovered another potential resource goldmine: safehouses. Check the "claim materials" option at any near the roadside, some have nothing but some have thousands of resources. One round trip in my truck was enough to build out all roads as far as the chiral network reached. Guess I'll have to actually play the game now!

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Party Boat posted:

I just discovered another potential resource goldmine: safehouses. Check the "claim materials" option at any near the roadside, some have nothing but some have thousands of resources. One round trip in my truck was enough to build out all roads as far as the chiral network reached. Guess I'll have to actually play the game now!

I'm trying to play this game as blindly as I can and just built my first section of road as well as a post box next to a paver next to a mule camp and can confirm: this is a good strategy and people are generous and when I rested to quit last night magically three or so other sections of road completed.

This is a good game.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

They gotta patch ziplines and roads out of the game :colbert:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Snowy posted:

BTs and Mules too. :haw:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
On Christmas I saw a penguin documentary and was thinking Death Stranding would make for a very good game about being a penguin.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

I will fight u.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

elf help book posted:

On Christmas I saw a penguin documentary and was thinking Death Stranding would make for a very good game about being a penguin.

It would make a good Lemmings game.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I started this a couple days ago and am in chapter 2. Does their come a point where the BTs aren't loving terrifying? I don't deal well with tense situations in games. I was just chased up a valley wall by a giant black squid thing and was screaming irl

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I started this a couple days ago and am in chapter 2. Does their come a point where the BTs aren't loving terrifying? I don't deal well with tense situations in games. I was just chased up a valley wall by a giant black squid thing and was screaming irl

Yes, around chapter 4 or 5 you’ll get things that will make BTs much less stressful to manage.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Proper Uppercut posted:

You will get tools and weapons to deal with them.

Unless it’s a forced fight you can sneak by them. When your odradek turns orange and goes crazy that’s means you’re right next to one. Hold your breath and crouch walk away and you’ll be fine. Actually always be crouching when your odradek pops out.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

You're pretty close to the point where you start getting anti-BT weapons (if you haven't got them already). Once you have those you can methodically take out a whole area of them if you have enough.

Other things that might help as the game isn't great at explaining them:

- you can only use an odradek pulse to see BTs if you're standing still
- if you check the map after sending out a pulse the BTs get marked as white dots
- the odradek will always face the closest BT
- when you're close to a BT the odradek light will turn orange and when you're dangerously close it will start spinning instead of flapping

They are supposed to be stressful to encounter, especially early on, but over time you'll learn how much you can push your luck around them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Romes128 posted:

You will get tools and weapons to deal with them.

Unless it’s a forced fight you can sneak by them. When your odradek turns orange and goes crazy that’s means you’re right next to one. Hold your breath and crouch walk away and you’ll be fine. Actually always be crouching when your odradek pops out.

Yeah it doesn't get pointed out enough that you can absolutely stealth through a BT area if you don't rush it. It's tense as hell but not absurdly hard if you're not pressed for time.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
By the near end of the game on my first playthru I was such a badass fedex guy I was purposely getting trapped by bt’s just so I could fight the mini boss and get chiral crystals.

But yea those beginning chapters where you have little to nothing are tense.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I've seen people say that you can piss directly on BTs to get them to back off. Never tried it myself but it's a hell of a power move.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sadly you can't make Norman pull out his reedus once you get caught and are actually in a boss fight, but in stealth gameplay you can in fact whip it out and arc the piss at nearby grabbers to make them flee.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

I've seen people say that you can piss directly on BTs to get them to back off. Never tried it myself but it's a hell of a power move.

Makes sense. You can use nades to make the grabby black goo people gently caress off.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Sadly you can't make Norman pull out his reedus once you get caught and are actually in a boss fight, but in stealth gameplay you can in fact whip it out and arc the piss at nearby grabbers to make them flee.

amazing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

boring game: your character can piss
boring zany game: your character can piss anywhere
boring zany AAA game: your character can piss anywhere and the piss has modeled physics

kojima: your character's physics-modeled piss action has a specific use in combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

boring game: your character can piss
boring zany game: your character can piss anywhere
boring zany AAA game: your character can piss anywhere and the piss has modeled physics

kojima: your character's physics-modeled piss action has a specific use in combat

My favorite kojima pee mechanic is the wolf dogs in mgs 1 where they won’t attack you later in the game if you get peed on earlier in the game.