Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Wafflecopper posted:

how does he get through so many pacemakers anyway

Nobody really pays attention to inventory during the apocalypse and he's paying his rent through the black market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wafflecopper posted:

Sam's suit battery drains in like three minutes if you don't have any extras equipped, and all it does is enhance his locomotion. How long do you think a piece of UCA tech that powers a human's entire circulatory system is gonna last? I'm surprised he doesn't have to replace them daily.

edit: Thinking about it more, I was joking but that may be the actual in-world reason. Sam's suit battery and vehicle batteries only recharge naturally over time when you're on the UCA grid or it's sunny outside, so other electrical devices that need to maintain a charge may be unable to for very long with the Chiral Network crippled. Case in point, after you finish hooking up the UCA (post-game spoilers)you don't need to keep occasionally delivering pacemakers to keep him alive anymore. I imagine that when it's cloudy or the Timefall is coming down, electrical devices in non-connected areas just straight up die like your bike does.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 9, 2021

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

in the world of death stranding surgery is far enough advanced to replace a human heart with a fish heart, but as you can see, a fish heart needs extra help powering the human circulatory system

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wafflecopper posted:

cocaine

night slime
May 14, 2014

He does order like 50 pounds of painkillers each month

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rabidsquid posted:

in the world of death stranding surgery is far enough advanced to replace a human heart with a fish heart, but as you can see, a fish heart needs extra help powering the human circulatory system

Deadman: That's right, Sam, the pacemaker works by stimulating the small bones of your inner heart. No one can hear it but you. It can't be picked up by enemy radar, but it is affected by the weather. It's all made from currently existing technology™.

Die Hardman: Yes, it gets jammed easily I'm afraid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I finished it!

I am... mostly confused I think, also this game is the most kojima rear end poo poo I have ever seen. I got a bit frustrated towards the end. The story is... clever, I think, but I admit I may have got the feeling that it was disappearing up it's own rear end a bit by the end. The actual end. Game has more endings than return of the king.

Gameplay wise... I dunno, I really like the core gameplay loop, but I feel like the pacing is quite strange, the game keeps giving you stuff right the way through but it feels like some of the things it gives you either entirely invalidate earlier things, to the point that it kind of... destroys its own gameplay systems a bit? And also it feels like it could have used an actual third area? Like I was expecting central to be sort of where you get all the stuff and then there would be a third, much more geographically exotic and difficult area that really necessitated using all of the different tools, central is a good area but again tying back into the pacing thing it felt like the game was kind of.. missing a third act in there? It just gets really weird towards the end and I don't really know how to feel about it. I feel like I maybe missed some of the pacing because the big trip back lacked impact when I walked back across the volcanic bit and then ziplined my way apparently to the other side of the continent in about 5-10 minutes? Also I forgot to take the cryptobiote delivery from port knot so I walked all the way back to capital and rubbed my face on the terminal until I realised I forgot that and then had to run all the way back again and then back again again to do the delivery which kinda made it farcical. Also I feel like the game got too combat heavy towards the end. The combat is better than I would expect but I don't think it is really the game's strong suit compared to the fundamental exploration and pathfinding, which again I feel like the game kind of does away with with the focus on structures and skeletons that largely make it irrelevant.

I dunno, there is a lot good in the game but it really gives me MGSV vibes, like it wasn't quite finished, though narratively it does wrap up properly so I don't think that is the case, but it has a similarly extremely weird pace to it.

Also loving heartman who lives in a heart shaped lake and has a heart condition where his heart is heart shaped and has a heart attack every 20 minutes loving REALLY this is goddamn peak kojima, nothing could be more kojima than this, jesus christ. Every loving character has this dumbass naming convention but heart man with the heart superpowers from heartsville USA is loving the pinnacle of the form.

Not really relevant that last bit I was just screaming at the computer all through his entie segment. Good voice acting though, for all of the cast. Really impressive just generally how well it captures people and their performances.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think your assessment is mostly correct, except for one thing. Heartman's lake is not shaped like a heart, it is in fact shaped like balls

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Did people actually walk back? I drove to timefall farm by following the beach and then just spawned a new car from my shelter there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I drove back but I actually think you're not supposed to, since it results in the conversation with Deadman along the way being extremely sped up. "Sam, this is Deadman, I'm doing some digging on this Mads Mikkelsen guy!" *drives for one minute* "Okay Sam after a bunch of digging here's what I found!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it seems to assume that it is a difficult thing to do, rather than a thing I already did previously to carry a crate back for the hell of it. Same issue with getting mama to mountain knot city, her dialogue breaks if you just zipline over the pass. I had to wait for about five minutes just hanging off a zipline for her to finish talking, kind of made it a bit weird how she went from fine to dead in that amount of time

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I only ever used roads and ziplines for the side deliveries and always trekked everywhere for plot stuff, my favorite thing in this game was just to slowly walk around the gorgeous world in silence and if one of the songs started it immediately became a memorable moment.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how do I check where my online likes are coming from. I've gotten like 10s of thousands of them from other players since I started playing again but I have no idea what I did right lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Augus posted:

how do I check where my online likes are coming from. I've gotten like 10s of thousands of them from other players since I started playing again but I have no idea what I did right lol

You can hover over structures on the map to see status, including number of likes.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Also you can go into the Bridge Links page from the wrist menu, select yourself to see your stats, and go to the structures tab and sort your structures by likes. Don’t recall if it’s on the same page but somewhere around there you can also see how many manual vs auto likes you’ve received

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Stare-Out posted:

I only ever used roads and ziplines for the side deliveries and always trekked everywhere for plot stuff, my favorite thing in this game was just to slowly walk around the gorgeous world in silence and if one of the songs started it immediately became a memorable moment.

drat you for making me want to start a no-road playthrough...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The funny part is that you can basically do that yourself in the snowy parts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you're willing to lose some stamina to try it, you should attempt to go up steep hills and stuff without hiking your shoulders. There are tons of animations for Sam scrambling like mad to get up hills and he really does look like a goddamn mountain goat sometimes. Making him do that with a giant heavy box stack looks especially miserable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah he basically crawls up the side of the mountain on all fours, except if he's going near vertical he's just sort of wiggling up a vertical snow face.

It's weird that snow seems to make you stick to slopes better.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Build better back
BB back
I want my BB back
:stare:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I sometimes just stand a bit outside the end location just to let the music play. Sometimes it's my fault for being speedy gonzalez with the dope roads and zip tracks, but other times they just don't time it well. There's a few spots where I can't imagine what weird circuitous route they wanted you to take to even hear half the song, I'm walking downhill towards my destination at a chill pace but it's only like 10 feet away yall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

night slime posted:

Build better back
BB back
I want my BB back
:stare:

Every time I played those sections I had this fukkin thing stuck in my head which greatly detracted from the gravity of the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhnwt81YVqQ

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CJacobs posted:

If you're willing to lose some stamina to try it, you should attempt to go up steep hills and stuff without hiking your shoulders. There are tons of animations for Sam scrambling like mad to get up hills and he really does look like a goddamn mountain goat sometimes. Making him do that with a giant heavy box stack looks especially miserable.

i've found that in almost every situation other than "i am literally going to fall over because of a tower of boxes" you're better off just not bracing yourself and just instead walking slower and making slight adjustments

i sort of get the impression that most people play the entire game holding down the brace buttons and walking at full speed and thats kind of a shame

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rabidsquid posted:

i've found that in almost every situation other than "i am literally going to fall over because of a tower of boxes" you're better off just not bracing yourself and just instead walking slower and making slight adjustments

i sort of get the impression that most people play the entire game holding down the brace buttons and walking at full speed and thats kind of a shame

Yeah I was not even remotely joking when I said there were TONS of animations that I bet most players have never seen, specifically because when you hike you shoulders there's an entirely different set. The granularity to Sam's movement is seriously insane- I tried counting once and it seems there are five 'speeds' between walking and running, and five 'breakpoints' for Sam's equip load which each have a completely different set of animations for those five 'speeds'. And then there's whether you're hiking your shoulders or not but obviously that gets less relevant as he gets more wobbly since if you turn on a dime with a high stack while not bracing he just falls over.

You can tell when you've hit one of the breakpoints from the weight limit counter getting a little more orange, it's really fun to play around with and watch his animations change over time.

edit: Did you know there's a different animation for sprinting, but holding the analog stick at walking speed??? I didn't until just now!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 12, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This is a total shot in the dark but does anyone happen to know how to make the game use more VRAM for Streaming Memory than 3.7 GB? I've got an RTX 2080 Ti and thus 11GB of VRAM to play with and the game won't use more than 4 no matter what. I've heard reports of 7+ GB showing in the menu, but setting mine to any multiple of 3072MB in 'settings.cfg' just makes the game hang when I trigger a cutscene. Viewing it in task manager before doing that shows the game maxing out at just over 4GB, which doesn't really make sense because it's 64-bit program right? Is it a DX12 thing?

edit: If this whole post makes no sense to you and sounds like a bunch of nerd poo poo jargon, don't worry, it is a bunch of nerd poo poo jargon that makes no sense! This game is really well optimized until it magically isn't and I'm trying to chip away at the Decima engine until I figure out why.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 13, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Is there any reason you think it would benefit from using more VRAM? At some point it's going to load everything in the vicinity at the maximum quality it needs and there's just nothing else to load

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Bracing also doesn't help with my number one package-mess-up, when you just kind of suddenly take a very hard drop fall from some slightly weird geometry calculation. One second you're walking just fine and the next you're a short distance from the shelter and you somehow crashed all your stuff and BB is crying and I guess that tiny rock was cursed? I've actually had something similar in Horizon Zero Dawn actually, hoping up or down some slop, then suddenly BLAM instantly dead like I just jumped from the sky.

Best way to travel on foot is hilariously overburdened while constantly nearly falling over and crouching to reset before facing consequences.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

repiv posted:

Is there any reason you think it would benefit from using more VRAM? At some point it's going to load everything in the vicinity at the maximum quality it needs and there's just nothing else to load

Even going from 4GB to 6GB would be very useful. The game seems pretty bad at deciding what to dump and keep, when your allotted VRAM gets filled the game will start super noticeably hitching when you pan the camera until you pause or alt-tab. You can watch nearby grass and rocks disappear and reappear by spinning the camera around. Since it's so bad about dumping things that have only just recently been used, giving it more wiggle room to work within its weird sorta busted Decima magic would alleviate the problem at least a little.

edit: It ain't pretty, but I figured out a solution that jukes around the problem because I don't think there's a way to resolve it. The two relevant settings to change for Death Stranding in NVidia Control Panel were Low Latency Mode and Shader Cache. These two options don't control the GPU at all, instead they make your CPU chew through whatever the game asks of it as it arrives. Basically I'm not allowing it to queue up ANYTHING because the one thing Decima seems to be bad at on PC is prioritizing what to remember and what to forget.

Ultra Low Latency Mode forces the game to spit out frames as they're rendered instead of rendering them in batches and queueing them to display in the right order, and turning Shader Cache usage off forces the game to store several bits of related information on-hand instead of reaching for it as needed using a scratch disk. By default it doesn't build shaders until they're needed, which causes the hitching, but through these settings you can make it kinda sorta work like Horizon and load everything relevant during... y'know, loading. The result is a game that is way, way more resource intensive and also loads a little slower unless you've got it on an SSD, but one that is completely smooth and hasn't had a single 30 FPS cutscene so far.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 13, 2021

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

This is a total shot in the dark but does anyone happen to know how to make the game use more VRAM for Streaming Memory than 3.7 GB? I've got an RTX 2080 Ti and thus 11GB of VRAM to play with and the game won't use more than 4 no matter what. I've heard reports of 7+ GB showing in the menu, but setting mine to any multiple of 3072MB in 'settings.cfg' just makes the game hang when I trigger a cutscene. Viewing it in task manager before doing that shows the game maxing out at just over 4GB, which doesn't really make sense because it's 64-bit program right? Is it a DX12 thing?

edit: If this whole post makes no sense to you and sounds like a bunch of nerd poo poo jargon, don't worry, it is a bunch of nerd poo poo jargon that makes no sense! This game is really well optimized until it magically isn't and I'm trying to chip away at the Decima engine until I figure out why.

fwiw i have a 2080 and have not once had a single framedrop at 3440x1440 (using dlss)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well how about you share some of that luck with the rest of us instead of hoarding it all huh :mad:

I think the problem is that there are only a few major issues which manifest in several different ways, instead of a ton of small issues that are too numerous to ever be fixed. From poking at it with several different sticks over the past few days, it seems the problem specifically is that if your GPU's render rate falls under 60 fps at any point while playing, all kinds of issues suddenly just appear out of nowhere and don't go away until you restart. But only for some people. And for those people only on some occasions. What makes it go away? Depends on your individual combination of hardware. PC gaming!

edit: For reference, your GPU's render rate is different from the framerate you experience ingame. You can set Death Stranding to whatever framerate you want, your GPU can still render more all the way up to your monitor's refresh rate, it just doesn't attempt to show them to you.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 14, 2021

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I have a 2080 Ti and been playing it in 4K 60fps with DLSS. Cutscenes are weirdly low FPS for me as well, and especially when the bike rumbles the controller, poo poo chugs like crazy.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Well how about you share some of that luck with the rest of us instead of hoarding it all huh :mad:

I think the problem is that there are only a few major issues which manifest in several different ways, instead of a ton of small issues that are too numerous to ever be fixed. From poking at it with several different sticks over the past few days, it seems the problem specifically is that if your GPU's render rate falls under 60 fps at any point while playing, all kinds of issues suddenly just appear out of nowhere and don't go away until you restart. But only for some people. And for those people only on some occasions. What makes it go away? Depends on your individual combination of hardware. PC gaming!

edit: For reference, your GPU's render rate is different from the framerate you experience ingame. You can set Death Stranding to whatever framerate you want, your GPU can still render more all the way up to your monitor's refresh rate, it just doesn't attempt to show them to you.

joy of joys. have you tried forcing vsync in the control panel?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Generic Monk posted:

fwiw i have a 2080 and have not once had a single framedrop at 3440x1440 (using dlss)

I played through on a 2080super and it was smooth for the most part when on foot but traveling quickly via roads on a bike would make the FPS freak out.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

That reverse trike gets really sketchy in the air and the FPS goes all over the place. My game runs great on foot as well, but the other night I jumped a crevasse with the bike and it was well on course to clear it. Then it's like it hit an invisible wall and put Norm right in the cabbage.

e:typo

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I can't be the only person who thought this was the solution...

(chapter 8 spoiler)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually managed that fine, but I had a bit of trouble with the earlier bit where the game expects you to figure things out for yourself.

I did actually get the idea right but not the specific implementation it wanted.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can you actually do it that way and bypass the entire segment or will it stop you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe if you stand in deep tar for too long you sink in it, I have not seen if you will die that way but I assume so. Sam says "yep I'm sinking" basically and you're supposed to get out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Sam literally said "I'm sinking" when I got the clue about the email and then I figured it out when I realized why all the other player's stuff was lying around inside a BT area.