Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

In my experience once something's in the world it stays until it's totally degraded. If you rebuild a road and there's another structure too close to the road's path it'll be deleted which might be what happened to you - if so there'll have been a message when you made the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The impression I get is that structures by other players that show up when connecting to the chiral network are in tip-top shape. It was not until very late game that I started mass deleting other player structures that were yellow/red, and I got new structures that were also heavily damaged.

So I think the servers save the latest condition of structures, but not necessarily spawn them in that state. That way you would still get a decent of amount of structures as a new player even if barely anyone is playing anymore (as long as the game servers stay up).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 31, 2021

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dilettante. posted:

Do the online structures other players build remain until they break? Or do they appear/disappear with new players joining and leaving?

I've connected the three preppers outside of lake knot and I only noticed one stretch of completed road that was near the southwest mule camp. Since then I've been alt-tabbed most of the day in lake knot, I came out and repaired the stretch of road directly outside, now the road is totally complete from LK down all way past the craftsman's place.

I did notice when I repaired the road that a online postbox that was adjacent had disappeared and that the stuff I had put into it was on the floor. Dunno if it was because it had deteriorated, or if the road construction or player deleted it.

if something is too close to a road it gets deleted and anything stored there gets shot out into the universe in the general vicinity. for whatever reason in my save there was a very popular safe house built near one of the later stretches of road towards mountain knot and when the road got built it disappeared. it didnt really seem that close but i guess the game doesn't like such a larger structure near the road

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

if something is too close to a road it gets deleted and anything stored there gets shot out into the universe in the general vicinity. for whatever reason in my save there was a very popular safe house built near one of the later stretches of road towards mountain knot and when the road got built it disappeared. it didnt really seem that close but i guess the game doesn't like such a larger structure near the road

I think I just encountered this very safe house which exploded when I raided everything around to build that segment of the road - and it was subsequently replaced by -another- level 3 safehouse nestled a little further back from the roads. The places people choose to build things are interesting, to say the least. I've got an online safe house up by Mountain Lodge #3 that I put a zipline by...only to find out that you may not be able to do anything with the lodge?

E: Nevermind I found out what you do with that lodge.

WebDO fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 1, 2021

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Finally 5 starred the wind farm, didn't even get anything for it. See ya Jake, you shithead.

E: Hey Lake Knot City, you're a bit stingy with the likes there, ain't ya?

Dilettante. fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 2, 2021

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

The cities and distro centers usually require a lot more than regular preppers, probably because they're hubs for most of the smaller locations. The easiest way to get enough likes for 5 stars is to look for orders large enough that they require a truck, the further away the better. If you've built roads it's easy street, if not...just plan your route well and maybe bring a PCC or two for generators if needed. Long range trucks will usually get you where you need to go.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dilettante. posted:

Finally 5 starred the wind farm, didn't even get anything for it. See ya Jake, you shithead.

You got bandwidth, resources, and a star on your leg, same as you get for 5 starring anywhere

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Don’t put a star on my leg and tell me it’s timefall.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the windfarm owns because it teaches you a lesson about not 5 starring the windfarm before getting ziplines, which is an important lesson.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I've been grabbing all the lovely stuff out of the shared lockers and recycling it all. Hopefully I'm not loving other players over.

I do deliver lost cargo and donate equaly lovely items when I can. :angel:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Dilettante. posted:

I've been grabbing all the lovely stuff out of the shared lockers and recycling it all. Hopefully I'm not loving other players over.

I do deliver lost cargo and donate equaly lovely items when I can. :angel:

Are you my wife/husband?!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

No, you’re good there. There’s a limitless supply of donated items.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Since I'm apparently the only one rebuilding the entire highway and I'm on the last segment it seems only fair that people make offerings via the shared locker

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

WebDO posted:

Since I'm apparently the only one rebuilding the entire highway and I'm on the last segment it seems only fair that people make offerings via the shared locker

:same:

I can see a stretch of road at 60% health (the rest is in the 90's or high 80's?) I hope you don't have to build the entire thing from scratch when it degrades, that's gonna suck.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Dilettante. posted:

I can see a stretch of road at 60% health (the rest is in the 90's or high 80's?) I hope you don't have to build the entire thing from scratch when it degrades, that's gonna suck.

nah you can top them off with your choice of crystal, metal, or ceramic (or a combination thereof) once they get below a certain threshold. you should be able to repair that stretch now if you want

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

And since the only thing that uses ceramics is the highway, it'll be stockpiling at nearly every settlement. It's also a good habit to claim the chiral crystals at most locations whenever they are 200+, since those are basically structure repair superglue.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mierenneuker posted:

And since the only thing that uses ceramics is the highway, it'll be stockpiling at nearly every settlement. It's also a good habit to claim the chiral crystals at most locations whenever they are 200+, since those are basically structure repair superglue.

armor plates definitely cost ceramics, but not a lot.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Oh yeah, duh. Totally forgot about fabricating equipment instead just structures.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I should have guessed the BT's would get tougher, I got slapped around by a Tar Kitty outside of the weather station, no more whale walkovers. Edgar Wright ain't getting his hipster IPA's intact.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I completed this last night and loved it. The ending was cheesy and self indulgent but it's exactly what I expected from Kojima. There's just two things I wish I'd realised before I was basically at the end of the game:

1) that the awful colour banding issues were down to the FidelityFX option - disabling it instantly made the game look so much better
2) that Die Hardman's voice actor also plays a cartoon unicorn in one of my son's favourite shows

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Party Boat posted:

2) that Die Hardman's voice actor also plays a cartoon unicorn in one of my son's favourite shows

*bloo blee bloo bloop* Sam, this is Ubercorn.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

All I want is for the gear I chiral print to zoom onto Sam while he yells "Geo-hematic grenade!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, a while back I posted about how at some point during the story writing on Sam's family photo changes and asking when it happens. I had completely forgotten that Amelie totally yoinks it right from him and that's where it disappears to until it is eventually returned with the changed writing.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Just saw a dude with a safehouse outside of the film director's shelter with 1.6 billion overall likes. :staredog:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
That’s a pretty handy place to have a safe house, although at least in my game you can just cross three bridges and be back at the distribution center.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

moller posted:

That’s a pretty handy place to have a safe house, although at least in my game you can just cross three bridges and be back at the distribution center.

I'm sure I'm missing something but... Once you 5 star the guy why would you ever head back out there?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

WebDO posted:

I'm sure I'm missing something but... Once you 5 star the guy why would you ever head back out there?

I suppose because it's close-ish to collector, junk dealer, chiral artist, a mule camp, that hot springs, the lake of tar, etc that aren't on the main road. I could be remembering wrong though.

night slime
May 14, 2014
He gives you deliveries for the chiral artist for her boots, which is pretty convenient considering it's just two or three ziplines away. Pretty easy to build a zipline network from the main distro center through the mule camp to those 3.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Just unlocked the Mk.3 long range truck, I feared it would be mediocre like the mule truck, but nope. Seems faster the mule truck and Cargo storage out the rear end. :buddy:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah the Bridges trucks are better than MULE stuff in every way. Note that the lights on the back of the truck tell you how full it is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

even the base level one Bridges truck has an absolutely absurd mass & volume limit compared to the MULE trukks

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Ciaphas posted:

even the base level one Bridges truck has an absolutely absurd mass & volume limit compared to the MULE trukks

Yeah I couldn't believe what I had been missing. Fully covered at the back as well to protect cargo for an entire journey.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if you haven't loaded up the mule truck in the first mule camp with cargo then proceeded to get it stuck in terrain and trying to figure out how to get it out, you havent truly played death stranding

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

rabidsquid posted:

if you haven't loaded up the mule truck in the first mule camp with cargo then proceeded to get it stuck in terrain and trying to figure out how to get it out, you havent truly played death stranding

this except getting stuck in the cosplay expert's doorway instead

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Augus posted:

so m any ceramics, lost forever... :arghfist::(

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Augus posted:

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Back at launch I got hit by a weird quirk of the strand system where the entrance to the cosplay expert’s place was clear on my way in, but on the way out it spawned a huge truck jammed right in the entry.

This was before you could despawn jerk vehicles but I managed to scramble out over some rocks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mashing the X button hoping your truck- which is currently spinning its wheels which are wedged between many salt pillar rocks -will suddenly bounce like 10 feet in the air and get unstuck if you wish hard enough, and then it actually does, is a Death Stranding rite of passage.

edit: Also mashing the X button while boosting on your bike and doing a wheelie to send Mr Reedus like 50 feet in the air ramping off of absolutely nothing. It's okay, for some reason he lands with no damage unless you drop the wheelie in midair!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Mashing the X button hoping your truck- which is currently spinning its wheels which are wedged between many salt pillar rocks -will suddenly bounce like 10 feet in the air and get unstuck if you wish hard enough, and then it actually does, is a Death Stranding rite of passage.

I tried this for like 10 minutes straight in the cosplay canyon to no avail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also mashing the X button while boosting on your bike and doing a wheelie to send Mr Reedus like 50 feet in the air ramping off of absolutely nothing. It's okay, for some reason he lands with no damage unless you drop the wheelie in midair!

Yeah the trike jumping feels weird to me, your either doing a anemic little bunny hop or escaping orbit. I like playing roulette with the little canyons around the collector, you can do a full speed run up and hit a two inch step that will cause the trike to act like you've just slammed into a wall, or hit the sweet spot and Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX into the stratosphere.