Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

i liked it a lot more when i thought people were just weird, but no, people put those bridges over the pathway that BTs drag you across when you're caught. they have a zillion likes because getting dragged across a bridge gives it an auto like, which populates them in more games, exacerbating the issue of you having wasted objects loading in your game

MFers turning themselves into mules over pointless numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ludonarrative harmony

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

night slime posted:

I have ziplines to all the places when I was trying to do all 500 missions but I stopped at 473 or so. Would post a video of me using all of them but I hesitated for a second and realized I'm afraid of being called the zipline emperor afterwards

Line liege.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Zippity-doo-dude

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I feel bad for Sam any time I ride a zip line chain for more than a few in a row, makes me wish they'd given him an animation for shaking off his arm after hopping off one because boy that looks like it hurts. Those things yank his arm by the wrist like your mom trying to keep you from getting lost at walmart or something.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

CJacobs posted:

I feel bad for Sam any time I ride a zip line chain for more than a few in a row, makes me wish they'd given him an animation for shaking off his arm after hopping off one because boy that looks like it hurts. Those things yank his arm by the wrist like your mom trying to keep you from getting lost at walmart or something.

That made me wonder whether the ziplines being so boring and not allowing you to do anything at all during the ride is a conscious decision to simulate the pain of holding on for so long.

I mean, after MGSV's "phantom pain" poo poo I wouldn't be surprised.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
I've got the Evo-Devo, Paleontologist, and Geoloigist all unlocked now and I'm trying to link them all up with zips back to heartman's, 'tis vexing. Most of the online ziplines are next to useless, especially when I see one in the middle of nowhere with tens of thousands of likes, and I think I've hosed up somehow. I've still got to work my way to the veteran porter next. Bitch-rear end chiral network can't handle it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dilettante. posted:

I've got the Evo-Devo, Paleontologist, and Geoloigist all unlocked now and I'm trying to link them all up with zips back to heartman's, 'tis vexing. Most of the online ziplines are next to useless, especially when I see one in the middle of nowhere with tens of thousands of likes, and I think I've hosed up somehow. I've still got to work my way to the veteran porter next. Bitch-rear end chiral network can't handle it.

That one is tedious but straightforward to reach from the Timefall Farm by bike of you can’t make it work. Online zip lines can be weird if you only get one in isolation and not the rest of the network it’s hooked into, so you are probably seeing one that’s kind of stuck out by itself.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

What's the maximum number of strand contacts you can make? I got to 80 in the stat that normally increased the number but didn't get more contacts and 30 isn't enough for the zipline empire

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
And complete. it was cool as poo poo ziplining through the middle of the massive BT zones on the way back to Lake knot with Sam making GBS threads it. Less so making my way from port knot to capital. (FOUR OF THEM!) Mulling if a LLL run is worth it.

E: completed my zipline empire BTW.

Dilettante. fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 23, 2021

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Dilettante. posted:

And complete. it was cool as poo poo ziplining through the middle of the massive BT zones on the way back to Lake knot with Sam making GBS threads it. Less so making my way from port knot to capital. (FOUR OF THEM!) Mulling if a LLL run is worth it.

E: completed my zipline empire BTW.

The LLL run wasn't so hard, especially if you have a zipline empire.

I finished the game with a half dozen or so achievements left and said to myself, "I'm going to stop playing and never get those."

The next thing I knew:

night slime
May 14, 2014
Yeah, ziplines will help with all but the large haul ones.

The FF7 news made me wonder if the PS5 will get a standalone DS update, like those rumors kept saying.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

Turmoil posted:

The LLL run wasn't so hard, especially if you have a zipline empire.

I finished the game with a half dozen or so achievements left and said to myself, "I'm going to stop playing and never get those."

The next thing I knew:

I've done all of the eastern region ones bar one, which is the "collect the stuff in the BT area" outside of the wind farm. I'm sitting outside of it watching all the BT's float around, wondering how hardcore they are on V hard.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

night slime posted:

Yeah, ziplines will help with all but the large haul ones.

The FF7 news made me wonder if the PS5 will get a standalone DS update, like those rumors kept saying.

I would buy the poo poo out of that.

Man, ziplines are fun even to place. It's way more interesting than roads and it's always fun climbing crazy hills for that golden sweet spot to place the zipline for max coverage.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Thundercracker posted:

I would buy the poo poo out of that. The lack of Death Stranding clones is criminal.

Dammit. Edit, not post

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Strand Type Games will become a real genre mark my words

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Dilettante. posted:

I've done all of the eastern region ones bar one, which is the "collect the stuff in the BT area" outside of the wind farm. I'm sitting outside of it watching all the BT's float around, wondering how hardcore they are on V hard.

not. just come loaded hell for leather with several grenade launchers and an ammo pack or two on your backpack, made with the resources overflowing from your prepper friends' pockets. at this point when I run low on chiral crystals I just get grabbed and put down two or three lions using the power of blood explosions - takes forever, but if you're not weighed down with a bunch of cargo they're just not that threatening.

I'm at over 400 LLL ratings, nearly finished with the central region, and wondering what on earth is wrong with me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sam Porter Bridges is only known as The Great Deliverer because he's the only character in-universe with the ability to metagame. Everyone else has to play by the rules but Sam just drops 8 grenade launchers outside the door and then half an hour later walks back in covered in gribbly guts with 50,000 chiral crystals.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

for the record, I just faced off against a lion duo and died like a chump. first I missed two grenade shots, one point-blank, and got clawed for 900. as I lay in the tar, looking up at the sky and contemplating the mistakes I made, a bus bubbled up from below. then it promptly capsized, dumping me off and lethally conking me on the noggin. repatriated into the still-present tar field, I missed another point-blank grenade, and then got hit by a claw again, and this time it followed up by eating me. so, uh, you should be able to hit the broad side of a barn, ideally

night slime
May 14, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Strand Type Games will become a real genre mark my words

Thundercracker posted:

I would buy the poo poo out of that. The lack of Death Stranding clones is criminal.

It's only been out for a little over a year...it seems like all the BOTW (2017) clones suddenly dropped within the last few months.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Breath of the Wild like games are probably the closest thing we are gonna get to Strand type games though. A big problem lots of the more normal/casual videogame audience is that Death Stranding is a boring walking/delivery simulator.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

night slime posted:

It's only been out for a little over a year...it seems like all the BOTW (2017) clones suddenly dropped within the last few months.

drat. It's really only been a year and change. Feels like it's been out forever.

So today I threw bathwater into a big BT and it turned grey so I looked up what all the ex grenades do and omg I kinda wish I hadn't.

EX Grenade No. 1+ Made from Sam's bloody urine when he uses the toilet standing. This only happens after his stamina cap has been reduced to 25% or less.

Apparently it's also an instant kill on small BTs.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 3, 2021

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Shame Boy posted:

Breath of the Wild like games are probably the closest thing we are gonna get to Strand type games though. A big problem lots of the more normal/casual videogame audience is that Death Stranding is a boring walking/delivery simulator.

i do not see a connection between breath of the wild and strand type games at all so you're going to have to explain this a little more

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

rabidsquid posted:

i do not see a connection between breath of the wild and strand type games at all so you're going to have to explain this a little more

Breath of The Wild isn't really close to Death Stranding, but it is The Closest. Both games involve player driven navigation instead of just being a bunch of waypoints, and in order to navigate you have to take the consider the terrain. While trekking you wander into enemy camps and can get supplies from the enemies in both games too. I don't really know what a "strand type game" is (I thought it was more in reference to the multiplayer aspect) but BOTW is the only recent game you can really compare Death Stranding to in terms of gameplay.

Fighting Elegy fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 3, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I assume they mean in the way that a lot of your long-term gameplay in both DS and BOTW is looking at distant scenery and asking "how do I reach that from here?" and then having a unique but similar path or experience to everyone else on the way from point A to B. There are dots all over a big rectangular map and you can put up the red string and make an ant trail to them in whatever order you find most efficient or fun.

edit: beaten by the same idea!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

that seems really broad to me, and would also apply to subnautica, and i think someone would kick me in the head if i said subnautica was like death stranding and breath of the wild.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean they're both third person action games where you spend 99% of the game outside walking and climbing manually over mountains in pretty sunrises, sunsets, and weather effects while sneaking around or dismantling enemy camps using found equipment, let's not miss the forest for the trees here. They're a little more easy to compare.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 3, 2021

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I personally agree, Death Stranding is kind of like Subnautica. I don't think the game are alike, but they do share some similarities. I remember planning out routes and setting up bases as rest stops for bigger journeys in Subnautica. Adding to that, there's definitely a bit of survival game influence in Death Stranding with the PCC stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Subnautica certainly has some similarities to death stranding, I would say the two are more alike than either one is like doom, for example.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Death Stranding is a lot like Persona because

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Death Stranding: A Sequel to Shaq-Fu? It's More Plausible Than You Think, a dissertation thesis by Smart Schoolman

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Death Stranding: A Sequel to Shaq-Fu? It's More Plausible Than You Think, a dissertation thesis by Smart Schoolman

The author is a Kojima character? So meta.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I think the strand aspect is more about the links to other players' worlds. A single player online game where the things other people do in their own game can impact your experience (roads, structures, mailboxes, likes, dropped parcels and deliveries for other players, etc). I think that Death Stranding is a little bit closer to Dark Souls where people can leave messages for each other that can be rated, and might impact decisions that people decide to make. BOTW does have large open exploration, but decisions other people make in their own game don't flow into your own session and impact yours while you play.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 4, 2021

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Yeah strand genre is specifically about the mass co-op aspect. Kojima's whole deal was he wanted a game about players working together instead of fighting each other. Rope instead of stick. It doesn't mean just an open world game with tough terrain wtf.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love that Kojima was like "I'm gonna make my own new genre" and then did it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i'm not sure it counts as a genre if there's only one game in it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wafflecopper posted:

i'm not sure it counts as a genre if there's only one game in it

Super Mario Bros 2 is also in it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

redsniper posted:

Yeah strand genre is specifically about the mass co-op aspect. Kojima's whole deal was he wanted a game about players working together instead of fighting each other. Rope instead of stick. It doesn't mean just an open world game with tough terrain wtf.

I mean... if we're talking which part I actually played more I did a lot more walking around than I did paying attention to anything other players did. It's nice to have stuff already built, I guess, but you could have achieved the same effect by just pre-seeding the world with stuff during development and then randomly loading some of it.

If anything I feel like the online element just kind of broke the pacing even more than the game already lets you do.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 10, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It was kind of nice knowing other people were out there even if I wasn't directly interacting with them, similar to Nier: Automata ending E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I found it really satisfying whenever I brought a new area onto the network and it populated with people's constructs, but it also got me into bad habits because I would rarely make my own bridges and just trust that someone else would have made what I needed in roughly the right place.

Having said that I was pretty judicious about deleting things if they weren't useful or spoiled the landscape too much. The bit I liked the most was seeing footpaths slowly form based on where people had travelled as it was more subtle than the other changes.

I still want to do a replay where I just mainline the story without roads or ziplines. They're great for optional deliveries but for me the best moments in the game are still forging into new territory on foot.