Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i loved the intensity of the snowstorm sections, and just about everything to do with the mountain section of the game. i'd play a game that was nothing but the snowy mountains of death stranding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Junk posted:

i loved the intensity of the snowstorm sections, and just about everything to do with the mountain section of the game. i'd play a game that was nothing but the snowy mountains of death stranding

I've liked the mountain sections on the whole! It encourages me to really plan ahead as to where I'm going. It's just delivering cargo through the snowstorms that gets tiresome. Maybe I need to get more aggressive with the BTs too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I like the mountain stuff and I appreciate what it's trying to do with taking away BB for a while in what's a pretty dangerous area. But it definitely goes on too long so it really starts to feel like a bit of a slog. It picks up as soon as that's done IMO and has my favorite cutscene in the game after (Heartman explaining the stuff about EEs and the umbilical cords, etc) but I was always confused when people kept saying act 3 felt like a slog when this is the chapter that actually does.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Chapter 3 only feels like a slog if you have Completionist Brain and insist on building every road out before you move the plot on

Which I did but at least I had the awareness to not complain about the pace that I'd set for myself

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It's definitely the kind of game where you set your own pace

I'm my run I would often advance the plot a lot very fast and than stop and spend some days just going around exploring and doing random deliveries and building stuff

Than I would get bored and than back to the main plot etc

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Elias_Maluco posted:

It's definitely the kind of game where you set your own pace

I'm my run I would often advance the plot a lot very fast and than stop and spend some days just going around exploring and doing random deliveries and building stuff

Than I would get bored and than back to the main plot etc

I think this is a point I should keep in mind too. At first I tried to knock out the story deliveries to the geologist and the paleontologist both at once, which turned out to be a bad idea. It was much better doing them one at a time.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've liked the mountain sections on the whole! It encourages me to really plan ahead as to where I'm going. It's just delivering cargo through the snowstorms that gets tiresome. Maybe I need to get more aggressive with the BTs too.
I made a point of setting up zip lines immediately in those areas. So it was only one or two really involved treks to each location and then a bunch of smooth deliveries after that.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Going straight to the roboticist to get the mountain stompy legs really helps, you can deliver to her immediately

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eiba posted:

I made a point of setting up zip lines immediately in those areas. So it was only one or two really involved treks to each location and then a bunch of smooth deliveries after that.

So many dramatic snowstorm areas up there and In just like wheeeeeeeee on the zips. The initial zip setup journey was amazing though. I kept not seeing the intended path and making my own over mountains and sideways angle to objectives to narrowly miss avalanches and BT valleys

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I basically didn't use the zip lines at all, since setting them up and using them felt so very inconvenient. I loved the game, but most of the building aspects felt superfluous and I either walked or Skyrim Horsed my truck/bike in most cases, and that felt way more fun.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do what's fun of course, but inconvenient I don't understand. They're the only construction that you can deliver upgrades to directly from a shelter and going in a straight line to exactly where you wanna go feels extremely convenient. If anything too convenient because it means the only thing you need to carry is packages, and forgoe all the other neat tools.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If you're just going through the story then construction stuff isn't like supremely useful. If you're planning on doing like S-rank deliveries and 5-star friendships though, then just carrying a couple PCCs and laying them down on your first trips to the shelters will make your subsequent trips back and forth extremely easy.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I thought it was funny how you’d do a delivery and get an S Tier Legend of Legends of Legends ranking and have the prepper give you a sloppy blowjob like “wow how’d you carry all that stuff so far you must be so tired wow you’re so amazing, my hero” and I’m like yeah it took me 60 seconds to get here from the distro centre on my zip line network, see you again in two minutes with the next load

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Do what's fun of course, but inconvenient I don't understand. They're the only construction that you can deliver upgrades to directly from a shelter and going in a straight line to exactly where you wanna go feels extremely convenient. If anything too convenient because it means the only thing you need to carry is packages, and forgoe all the other neat tools.

Gruckles posted:

If you're just going through the story then construction stuff isn't like supremely useful. If you're planning on doing like S-rank deliveries and 5-star friendships though, then just carrying a couple PCCs and laying them down on your first trips to the shelters will make your subsequent trips back and forth extremely easy.

You needed the PCCs and you also needed the materials to build stuff, which meant less space for delivery stuff, so I always preferred to just deliver more stuff than to bother building things. As far as actually using the zip lines, every time I tried I was carrying too much stuff, so it was almost never something that was helpful whenever I found them in the wild.

I didn't 5 star rank everyone, but I did it for a fair amount of people before I was done with the game. I don't think it'd feel as satisfying if I had just zipped around everywhere with only small amounts of things.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

I thought it was funny how you’d do a delivery and get an S Tier Legend of Legends of Legends ranking and have the prepper give you a sloppy blowjob like “wow how’d you carry all that stuff so far you must be so tired wow you’re so amazing, my hero” and I’m like yeah it took me 60 seconds to get here from the distro centre on my zip line network, see you again in two minutes with the next load

Genuinely thought the next logical upgrade past ziplines and delivery robots was upgrading the robots to use ziplines.

*beep beep* "Sam! You've successfully automated yourself out of a job."

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
EE? EE! EE!

Edit: I'm British and Heartman's VA is the only person I've ever heard say Arrmelie.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 17, 2024

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Regarding the stuff about how the game not actually being that weird because Kojima explains everything, something that I think is an amazing twist is that (VERY endgame spoilers) the spooky looking bodies you see hanging up in the sky during the big reveal trailer of the game way back in the day, your first though is oh man those look ominous, those must be the villains of the game or some kind of like harbinger that shows up during some bad event. Turns out to actually be all of your friends you make during the game, who all help you escape back to reality through the power of friendship

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Momomo posted:

You needed the PCCs and you also needed the materials to build stuff, which meant less space for delivery stuff, so I always preferred to just deliver more stuff than to bother building things. As far as actually using the zip lines, every time I tried I was carrying too much stuff, so it was almost never something that was helpful whenever I found them in the wild.

The only structures that require materials to construct Level 1 are bridges and safehouses. Ziplines, timefall shelters, generators, etc can just be plopped down using only the PCC.
Ziplines also don't have a cargo limit? Besides not being able to take fragile hand-carry-only packages or vehicles, that is.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Momomo posted:

I don't think it'd feel as satisfying if I had just zipped around everywhere with only small amounts of things.

I agree so I zip around with a shitload of things. And sometimes I didn't have the PCCs I needed and had to go scrounging around the mountains to find a littered one while passing up tons of other stuff I couldn't grab because of my main order, but adding to the struggle is good. The best Zipline locations are also on mountain peaks you have no reason to go up otherwise, I have some ziplines you cannot get off of without falling to your death but connect a half dozen ziplines allowing direct traversal over mountains.

I hope the next game has higher peaks but also has us going deeper underground or underwater too. Along with waterslides we can shoot down from mountain peak to death beach.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Whenever I tried to use them it wouldn't let me get on with my carts, which I would always have two of full of crap, so they basically did have cargo limits. I couldn't just put everything on my back and get on, cause Sam himself has a cargo limit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

they'll let you get on with one cart but yeah, two is no-go

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I hate Higgs and I hate this stupid boss fight in the middle of my delivery game.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I hate Higgs and I hate this stupid boss fight in the middle of my delivery game.

all the fights involving Higgs are my favorite part of the game in a game that is very very good

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

1st AD posted:

all the fights involving Higgs are my favorite part of the game in a game that is very very good

Fair enough! I just never liked the Liquid Snake boss fights to begin with (I'm not very good at them), although I think it pitied me a bit more in this case as I think it spawned a cryptobiote plant after I died so many times.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Khanstant posted:

I agree so I zip around with a shitload of things. And sometimes I didn't have the PCCs I needed and had to go scrounging around the mountains to find a littered one while passing up tons of other stuff I couldn't grab because of my main order, but adding to the struggle is good. The best Zipline locations are also on mountain peaks you have no reason to go up otherwise, I have some ziplines you cannot get off of without falling to your death but connect a half dozen ziplines allowing direct traversal over mountains.

I have had zips that were fine if you dismounted from one side but made you eat poo poo if you dropped down from a different angle. I think my route between the veteran porter and the paleontologist had two of them :D

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like i'm losing my mind, for standard deliveries if I have done that delivery before will it always display my previous best rank on that delivery? I am trying to avoid repeating deliveries but after a bit a lot of these start to look the same.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I feel like i'm losing my mind, for standard deliveries if I have done that delivery before will it always display my previous best rank on that delivery? I am trying to avoid repeating deliveries but after a bit a lot of these start to look the same.

Yes the ones you've done before are marked. There are also a lot of deliveries that happen to be basically the same (lots of "deliver resource to X" ones everywhere, you can skip those unless you actually need that resource since what they do is fill up the reserves when you complete it).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I have had zips that were fine if you dismounted from one side but made you eat poo poo if you dropped down from a different angle. I think my route between the veteran porter and the paleontologist had two of them :D

Haha yeah I have a few that way too. One of them has 0 likes, I think the game knows it's a deathtrap.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Is there any benefit to fighting the big BTs that can ambush you? I've mostly just been running away from them!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Is there any benefit to fighting the big BTs that can ambush you? I've mostly just been running away from them!

Do you mean the ones that spawn after you’re grabbed and whisked away to a hosed up tar filled wasteland?

If so, then yes - you can farm a shitload of chiral crystals when you beat them

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

1st AD posted:

Do you mean the ones that spawn after you’re grabbed and whisked away to a hosed up tar filled wasteland?

I wasn't sure if they only started appearing at a certain point in the story but thanks! I'll definitely consider taking them on if I'm not carrying too much.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think I've finished the game... and by that I mean I haven't, but I had to stop partway through because it's 3am. My next stop is to incinerate BB.

I found the credits sequence distracting as I was reminded of "the blue libertarian" Stan Jones.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

1st AD posted:

It also clears the BT area you were grabbed in for a short while and stops the timefall. Usually it only lasts until you take your next order, but it helps.

Honestly my preferred method of dealing with BTs if I'm not on a time limit is dropping everything in a postbox, kicking the Catcher's rear end, and carrying on once I've cleared the area that way instead of trying to be sneaky.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I usually just bring weapons to shoot or grenade the poo poo out of any BTs when I'm out and only care about hunting the wily jellyfish when I need chiral crystals. But I kind of hate dealing with those miniboss BTs in general.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

disposablewords posted:

I usually just bring weapons to shoot or grenade the poo poo out of any BTs when I'm out and only care about hunting the wily jellyfish when I need chiral crystals. But I kind of hate dealing with those miniboss BTs in general.

Grenade launcher + nonlethal assault rifle are my preferred weapons and it’s enough ammo to kill 2 BT’s (there’s that one area in the mountains where you can fight 2 of the lion things at once)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Okay, NOW I've finished the story in full! While I wasn't always on board with where it went, I do appreciate that it actually came together quite nicely and, for the most part, the pieces of the puzzle all fit. I was curious as to how they were going to make the post-game fit in with how the story ends, and it's a bit weird all things considered, but I appreciate being able to keep delivering and that they didn't lock the final revelations behind a 100% completion or something. Maybe a lesson learned from Peace Walker (and I guess even MGSV) where apparently a load of people didn't realise that there was still some vitally important content after you beat what seems to be the final boss.

EDIT: Also, there's still quite a bit I haven't done yet. It's taken me until now to meet Geoff Keighley for one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKIacsoRIEQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELVvQjYDQ70

I had no idea you could be so safe doing so many dangerous long and far jumps using some of these tools. I never even tried because falling off a little ledge sometimes makes Sam eat poo poo. Don't think I even realized you could run off the ramps without a vehicle.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 28, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

sure if you're playing director's cut ptw baby cheat mode you can fly around with a jetpack or whatever :colbert:

this post made half in jest but i thought arduous difficult trecks were, like, the point

*hops on his zipline network to make another 60 second delivery*

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 28, 2024

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Khanstant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKIacsoRIEQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELVvQjYDQ70

I had no idea you could be so safe doing so many dangerous long and far jumps using some of these tools. I never even tried because falling off a little ledge sometimes makes Sam eat poo poo. Don't think I even realized you could run off the ramps without a vehicle.

Oh yeah. I play most of my DC deliveries on foot, with minimal tools, for the fun, but then I set up ramps and do my sicknasty jumps with my hover-backpack for the descent whenever I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I kept getting a heck of a lot of likes earlier - like, within the hundreds and thousands - the game just saying "players are pleased with you" or something to that effect. I was wondering what caused this. I've been donating chiral crystals to auto-pavers whenever I come across one in need so I was thinking maybe that was it?

I've really enjoyed making my own trails in isolated areas and helping to build zip-line networks. It was especially cool working with other people to make a network from the northern waystation to the spiritualist. I had to give up on finding a quicker route between the doctor and Heartman's lab though, too steep!