Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Space Panda posted:

I’m hoping it is good. Im still day one. But I’m fearful this could be a disaster worse than anything that the PlayStation nation has faced since The Order 1886.

This is crazy talk you're crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Space Panda posted:

I’m doubting the game will be higher that low 80s metacritic. It sucks but that’s the way it is.

*shoots you in the head*

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I think the Hue sync box thingy would go really good with this. But then again, it’d go good with most games.

Someone give me $250.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I mean mgsv was good gameplay wise but easily the weakest plot in the series and totally failed to live up to the hype and I KNOW much of that was konami's fault but I can't help feeling a little wary about DS

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean mgsv was good gameplay wise but easily the weakest plot in the series and totally failed to live up to the hype and I KNOW much of that was konami's fault but I can't help feeling a little wary about DS

I actually like the plot end to end, it just falls to poo poo because of the game's structure and missing the final mission. Big Boss's plan laid out is cool and it would have been a lot more fun in a MGS3 kind of game with major installations or scenarios tied together with what is now de jour Dark Souls interconnected areas and branching pathways of open space. It's a real shame because I read that Kojima envisioned you sneaking through a Russian armoured column in the open world and it just never eventuated for many reasons.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Someone link those leaks

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

JBP posted:

I actually like the plot end to end, it just falls to poo poo because of the game's structure and missing the final mission. Big Boss's plan laid out is cool and it would have been a lot more fun in a MGS3 kind of game with major installations or scenarios tied together with what is now de jour Dark Souls interconnected areas and branching pathways of open space. It's a real shame because I read that Kojima envisioned you sneaking through a Russian armoured column in the open world and it just never eventuated for many reasons.

Yeah that's fair tbh. I was having a great time until chapter 2, but that was just so disappointing. What plot there was wasn't bad and had some standout moments (shining lights, even in death was incredible), but it just felt very sparse and thrown together. I was annoyed at the lack of grey fox/paramedic given they were supposed to be in the area at that time (or any returning characters really). Ocelot seems to just be there too, and they do basically nothing with him.

I also much prefer just having a full coherent plot rather than this bitesize 'pick a mission' stuff in phantom pain and peace walker, especially when lots of them and up as copy pasted versions with increased difficulty. It totally fucks the pacing.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 21, 2019

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From what I’m hearing death stranding has way more cutscenes but the general structure and mission design is MGSV like

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Space Panda posted:

I’m doubting the game will be higher that low 80s metacritic. It sucks but that’s the way it is.

i don't know what the longterm response will be, but i can guarantee that this will receive many perfect scores and accolades and rewards. this is 1) a kojima game, and i'm pretty sure he's a popular figure in industry, and 2) a kojima game, a man who's basically had a narrative built around him as an underdog who was unjustly pushed out of his own studio by dumbfuck greedy corporate overlords (for the record, i pretty much agree with this by about 85%). the critical response to this game is all but assured if past trends with metal gear solid and his own reputation ring true.

as to how good the game is, time will tell

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Space Panda posted:

From what I’m hearing death stranding has way more cutscenes but the general structure and mission design is MGSV like

Which is fine if it's finished and the structure of the narrative fits episodic missions, which it sounds like it will given the mechanics and the story.

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Someone link those leaks

I’ve been browsing the reset era spoiler thread. Just be careful because there are full on story spoilers along with some gameplay impressions.

Anyways there is already hilarious back tracking and rationalizations going on to explain the sub 90 meta critic that’s incoming. People saying things like people need to have realistic expectations that it’s just a delivery game. That Kojima should not have shown the TGS footage as it spoiled too much of the game. Pretty hilarious stuff when you consider everyone was expecting game changing revolutionary stuff a few months back.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Space Panda posted:

I'm into this because mgsv is notoriously lacking in cutscenes

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Space Panda posted:

I’ve been browsing the reset era spoiler thread. Just be careful because there are full on story spoilers along with some gameplay impressions.

Anyways there is already hilarious back tracking and rationalizations going on to explain the sub 90 meta critic that’s incoming. People saying things like people need to have realistic expectations that it’s just a delivery game. That Kojima should not have shown the TGS footage as it spoiled too much of the game. Pretty hilarious stuff when you consider everyone was expecting game changing revolutionary stuff a few months back.

net cafe scandal posted:

*shoots you in the head*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Space Panda posted:

It's a stealth action game.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Deadman? We've managed to avoid stranding.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
No matter what happens with this game it's gonna be a spicy release

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
If this will be as dividing as MGS2 then I am happy.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This is going to be one of those games I play till 6 am, go to work, come back home and repeat.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
It you are a delivery man carrying a fetus through a wasteland...
Then it is a 11/10.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Adaptabullshit posted:

If this will be as dividing as MGS2 then I am happy.

This is my dream. I believe in you, Kojima! I believe you can make me both proud and angry I bought a shirt and a fetus lamp!

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do
Space Panda, what were your specific concerns with the game?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Space Panda posted:

Link the leak

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Space Panda posted:

Unfortunately the metacritic score for your posting just came in and it's not looking good.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do
the internet is stupid and an enormous echo chamber, and people literally attach their egos to whether or not a game has a good enough metacritic score. someone mentions the game is bad, and then suddenly people think that every single reviewer is saying the game is bad. it's insane and it's best to just ignore it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Sounds to me like people think reading about the game is same as actually playing it.

I want to know what these predicted Sekiro's metacritic score as because it has no Souls RPG or online features and therefore it must be bad because it's clearly a lesser game.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do
i think some people hear an opinion contrary to theirs, and instead of acknowledging it like a mature adult, internalize it and see it as an attack against them.

also i pre-ordered the baby lamp so if anyone tells me this game is boring i will punch them and cry

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
End of the day, Sony paid for this game. Having early reviews is a calculated decision that no one makes unless you know the scores are gonna be awesome.

Now maybe they hosed up but having reviews out early is a beancounter decision, so if this game completely misfires then Sony's decision to do that will have been hilariously self indulgent.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Donovan Trip posted:

End of the day, Sony paid for this game. Having early reviews is a calculated decision that no one makes unless you know the scores are gonna be awesome.

Now maybe they hosed up but having reviews out early is a beancounter decision, so if this game completely misfires then Sony's decision to do that will have been hilariously self indulgent.

sony also paid for Street Fighter 5 but I think death stranding will be good

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WaltherFeng posted:

Sounds to me like people think reading about the game is same as actually playing it.

I want to know what these predicted Sekiro's metacritic score as because it has no Souls RPG or online features and therefore it must be bad because it's clearly a lesser game.

I bought dark souls remaster in the sale and this game is the same boring dogshit I played when it came out. Sekiro 2 when

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Imo it was a lesser game.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

AstroWhale posted:

It you are a delivery man carrying a fetus through a wasteland...
Then it is a 11/10.

Apparently, you can also carry a corpse on your back, while carrying a fetus. And if that's too hard, you can pee to create a mushroom. And if you don't change boots enough, you have to rip out a toenail. And if you die, you have to fight hentai-tanks to come back to life. If this ain't GOTY I don't know...

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

mysterious frankie posted:

Imo it was a lesser game.

And it's fine to think that way but predicting metacritic score based on someone else's experience or reading a list of features is insane.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WaltherFeng posted:

And it's fine to think that way but predicting metacritic score based on someone else's experience or reading a list of features is insane.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm just so tired of all these Death Strandings.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

It's miserable behavior to be sure. A life poorly led

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Space Panda posted:

it’s ‘just’ a delivery game.

Yes. Good. That was my expectation. This is exactly what I want.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Oldstench posted:

I'm just so tired of all these Death Strandings.

God, this sounds so familiar-- you wouldn't happen to be the guy who had the titular line in Star Wars, would you?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

No, that is crazy but Sekiro not being Bloodborne 2 broke me like 9/11 broke Dennis Miller tho, so I am driven to comment that it is not as good as Dark Souls.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

mysterious frankie posted:

No, that is crazy but Sekiro not being Bloodborne 2 broke me like 9/11 broke Dennis Miller tho, so I am driven to comment that it is not as good as Dark Souls.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chello De Don posted:

Space Panda, what were your specific concerns with the game?

Basically a beautiful but boring open world and copy and paste mission design.

I don’t want to go overboard being negative on the game but I was hoping Kojima had learned to avoid the negative pitfalls of MGSV which imo had these problems.

I’m still buying day one but believe me nov. 1st when the embargo lifts will be entertaining. Like someone else has said all signs point to this being spicy.