Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Qmass posted:

Been playing for 3.5 hrs now, all positive so far.

Is your gameplay looping well?

E: Ugh, top of the page. Sorry folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is your gameplay looping well?

Mine has been. I'm about 4 hours in and it's all good so far.

I know some reviews dumped on the game for the world being empty and having nothing to find while exploring but the game is gorgeous. As long as the scenery isn't the exact same three or so biomes we've seen in the trailers, it'll be worth it just for the views.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 7, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Friendly Fire posted:

I know some reviews dumped on the game for the world being empty and having nothing to find while exploring but the game is gorgeous. As long as the scenery isn't the exact same three or so biomes we've seen in the trailers, it'll be worth it just for the views.

From what I've heard pretty much the whole game is the same sort of Irish countryside greenery and rocks

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

From what I've heard pretty much the whole game is the same sort of Irish countryside greenery and rocks

In the reviews we've had at least two other landscapes mentioned rocky desert like areas and snowy mountainous areas.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’m not going to play until tomorrow so I’ll likely dip out of the thread after someone replies to this, but there’s one thing I’m not sure has been addressed. With the online aspect, do we know how they’ve ensured the game won’t be entirely trivialized by the stuff other players have left around? Like, if players have built a highway and you come across it your first time through the game, aren’t you kinda missing out on the experience if you can essentially skip the level?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

You don’t see player structures the first time you go through an area. You need to go through an area once by yourself and connect it to the chiral network to see them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I got good news and I got bad news

Good news: the levels are so vast that even with ladders and bridges and roads there’s still plenty to traverse, and each server has a population limit so it won’t get too lousy with infrastructure

Bad news: reports are that many of the missions are laughably easy with or without help

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Zikan posted:

You don’t see player structures the first time you go through an area. You need to go through an area once by yourself and connect it to the chiral network to see them.

Gotcha

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

https://twitter.com/HoggysArt/status/1192492611673763840

Edit: Also

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1192509066024800256

So pretty safe bet Sony is going to stay in the Hideo Kojima business for a fairly long time, no matter how DS does.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 7, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Very important: Could Sam do the Avalanche ice cream challenge from Astral Chain?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My personal goal is to put beautiful helpful strongholds at the game's best views. Climb that mountain? Kick off your shoes, sit down, take a breather. You earned it champ.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I was watching some stream and when Reedus went to take a poo poo a real product ad was projected on the toilet door.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the day is upon us, its kojima time. come in, mr. kojima, are you there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R0WvE8Wzec

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

Palpek posted:

I was watching some stream and when Reedus went to take a poo poo a real product ad was projected on the toilet door.
i saw one with "ride with norman reedus" on the shower door. i love kojima's games but sometimes the random product placement can be a little much

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Steve Yun posted:

I got good news and I got bad news

Good news: the levels are so vast that even with ladders and bridges and roads there’s still plenty to traverse, and each server has a population limit so it won’t get too lousy with infrastructure

Bad news: reports are that many of the missions are laughably easy with or without help

is there a european extreme mode?

gonna lol if i believe this difficulty reports so much that i slap it on the hardest setting and struggle to walk.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Chello De Don posted:

i saw one with "ride with norman reedus" on the shower door. i love kojima's games but sometimes the random product placement can be a little much

It doesn't seem very random.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Holy moly this game is amazing. gently caress the reviews, the haters. Easily goty and I’m only 6 hours in.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It doesn't seem very random.

random in the where it's placed, not because of context

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Chello De Don posted:

Having an in-game ad for a real-life show named after the actor that plays the character that is currently taking a poo poo behind the said ad is some galaxy brain Kojima thing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Random question from someone who hasn't played the game: what's the nature of the relationship between Sam and the tank baby? I remember in some old trailer there was a scene where he woke up, couldn't find the baby, started to panic, then found it and started crying in what appeared to be relief. Does he have a parental instinct to care for the baby or is it more of a self-interested "I am doomed if I lose this thing" situation?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Real world ads is a bit disappointing. It seems really inappropriate and out of place for this game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Weedle posted:

Random question from someone who hasn't played the game: what's the nature of the relationship between Sam and the tank baby? I remember in some old trailer there was a scene where he woke up, couldn't find the baby, started to panic, then found it and started crying in what appeared to be relief. Does he have a parental instinct to care for the baby or is it more of a self-interested "I am doomed if I lose this thing" situation?

Definitely the latter, since the baby is the only thing that lets you see the floating monsters. But since it's Kojima, it's probably going to be/become the former throughout the game.

edit: Since it's Kojima, the idea is for you, the player to develop a parental instinct for the baby in tandem with Sam.

I said come in! posted:

Real world ads is a bit disappointing. It seems really inappropriate and out of place for this game.

Yeah, I liked the fake brands instead. I think I saw some pictures of "timefall beer" which is intriguing because it means 1. there's still enough infrastructure to create a canned beer with branding and 2. people are using the timefall to do creative things.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 7, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I said come in! posted:

And Doritos, iPods, and name brand sunglasses in MGS weren't? Seems like those weren't a thing Kojima was doing to be funny specifically in the MGS universe, but just a thing he always does.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I feel like we learned about that ad months ago, if you thought that was weird just wait

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ymgve posted:

edit: Since it's Kojima, the idea is for you, the player to develop a parental instinct for the baby in tandem with Sam.

That rules. I don't think I can play this for myself though. Any media where a small child is frightened and separated from their parents is hard for me to handle. I cried at the Wikipedia article for Life Is Beautiful.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And Doritos, iPods, and name brand sunglasses in MGS weren't? Seems like those weren't a thing Kojima was doing to be funny specifically in the MGS universe, but just a thing he always does.

Remember that bit in MGS3 where Para-Medic basically recites a commercial for Calorie Mate (a real product) over your radio?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The 5 hours between now and me playing this game are gonna be excruciating. But I've got the day off tomorrow and I'm about to make a giant pile of Korean BBQ and shirk all worldly responsibilities for the rest of the weekend.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The 5 hours between now and me playing this game are gonna be excruciating. But I've got the day off tomorrow and I'm about to make a giant pile of Korean BBQ and shirk all worldly responsibilities for the rest of the weekend.

Just wait til the 5 hours between starting the game and playing the game :smug:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Just wait til the 5 hours between starting the game and playing the game :smug:

That’s going to be pure bliss

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I’m pretty blind on this game but I love me some mgs and Kojima madness. I know there’s some other world dimension poo poo and exploring and some people say it’s boring but if it’s atmospheric I’m all in.

That said I’m terrible at open world games and paralyse and think I’m missing out on anything. Anyone got some real early “before I play” style hints that are non spoilery? Or should I probably not worry too much?

Can’t loving wait!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

net cafe scandal posted:

That’s going to be pure bliss

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

teacup posted:

That said I’m terrible at open world games and paralyse and think I’m missing out on anything. Anyone got some real early “before I play” style hints that are non spoilery? Or should I probably not worry too much?

From what I've seen the only things you can miss are lost packages and they may or may not be randomly generated. The open world really isn't like the open worlds in other games.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm still gonna wander around outside the bigger bases for a bit, even though they will most definitely just be window dressing with a single entrance you can interact with.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

teacup posted:

So I’m pretty blind on this game but I love me some mgs and Kojima madness. I know there’s some other world dimension poo poo and exploring and some people say it’s boring but if it’s atmospheric I’m all in.

Can’t loving wait!

it's not an open world game in the traditional sense - there's almost nothing to find and you don't want to spend any time exploring anyway, because the longer you're putzing around the landscape the more likely it is you'll trip up and lose your cargo at the bare minimum

it's about package delivery, not exploration, and that means trying to find the shortest and most painless route from A to B

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

teacup posted:

Can’t loving wait!

There is a Kotaku tips article posted up thread that's exactly what you're looking for.

Edit:

https://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-death-stranding-1839674810

Noam Chomsky fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 7, 2019

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Holy moly this game is amazing. gently caress the reviews, the haters. Easily goty and I’m only 6 hours in.

Wow, I can't believe game reviewers who are unfathomably and notoriously bad at video games had a hard time with something even remotely different.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

ymgve posted:

I'm still gonna wander around outside the bigger bases for a bit, even though they will most definitely just be window dressing with a single entrance you can interact with.

I mean, when was the last time you let the amazon delivery person into your house for a chat?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Zikan posted:

I mean, when was the last time you let the amazon delivery person into your house for a chat?

If he had a capsule baby attached to him, I might be more inclined to.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

WarEternal posted:

Wow, I can't believe game reviewers who are unfathomably and notoriously bad at video games had a hard time with something even remotely different.

The reviews for this game are mostly very positive, so it seems like most of them did just fine with it...?

I mean I get that a few rated it extremely low, but there's still a LOT of reviews that gave it 9+. The overwhelming majority, really.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
hnnnnnngh i don’t want to work tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
In preparation for some gameplay that might be long and tedious I made sure to read every post in this thread, especially the ones about whether gameplay loop is a thing.