Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

just got to chapter 3. where the gently caress do I find another bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

MagicBoots posted:

There are not a lot of ways to mess with people via construction but zip-lines that are positioned with a large fall right in front might be the funniest I've run into so far. Bonus points if its also BT territory and there is a little cheering sign at the point it drops you down to.

oh no. at the craftsman mission into BT territory I put up a ladder on the wall to avoid that tight interior and didn’t think about what I’d do once I got to the end of the ladder and just felt 35 feet down onto my rear end trapped inside. so I put up a smiling face where I fell to denote my foolishness but now I’m concerned people will misinterpret that message and do a swan dive of their own

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I’m also in Truck Gang. I’ve basically turned this into Ice Road Truckers 2199 or whatever. I kind of love it though, plotting my route around trucking routes and building my own is its own unique challenge, and having a cargo bay loaded up with everything i could need presents the uniquely mundane feeling of pulling up to a construction project and sighing as i walk around to the back of my truck to haul out some building materials and lug em over to a station console. I need to just find a trucker hat for Sam.

Truck Gang for life.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

JBP posted:

gently caress yeah. I'm all about it. If you park close enough you can just select truck materials from the menu, but I like to load him up at max weight and waddle over groaning.

dude same. my sam has the energy of a tired but diligent teamster

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

honestly this game is loving brilliant. i’m very happy with my decision to avoid all pre-release coverage past the E3 trailers because it’s been a completely baffling but rewarding experience figuring this thing out so far

also I love driving my big truck. I wish it had a horn I could honk at MULE dorks while I speed by on our highway

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Gruckles posted:

If you then press square to place a marker while during that, a holographic gps line will appear in the world marking that route.

gently caress how did i not know this

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the same kind of people hating on death stranding now are the ones who slammed MGS2 and hurdur kojima spork nonsensed about its plot then

be on the right side of history folks, don’t be one of those who don’t appreciate greatness in its time. when we’re all pissing and making GBS threads in bottles to hurl at ghosts in 20 years time you won’t have to hang your head and say you never saw it coming

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

people who abandon their vehicles in da nrg z0ne on the highway deserve death, as well as people who leave their trucks crammed into a shelter door

be mindful of where you park people, i'm driving here

sorry about the truck i left helplessly jammed vertically into the Cosplayer’s door. i didn’t mean to, it slid off the cliff. i tried really hard to remove it and i thought it would have been destroyed by timefall by now but that loving thing is still hanging in there

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 15, 2019

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

man im 45 hours in and just hit chapter 8 i think

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Ixjuvin posted:

so you're the son of a bitch

I’M SORRY

I TRIED TO GET IT OUT REALLY HARD

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

just finished it, one question whats the significance of that last shot? why didn’t the rain affect sam or louise? does that mean the timefall stopped? if so, why?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

tuo posted:

The polish on this game is pretty awesome, yeah. The UI is a bit of a mess, but the game itself is very, very solid.

What I also find funny (I'll put it into spoilers, but it's actually a super weak spoiler thingy):

The announcement trailer actually shows that the whole story seemed to have been finished three years ago, and the scenes captured there also seem to indicate that mocap was done and cutscenes fully produced back then. Even the E3 trailers in the years afterwards - while mostly sticking to stuff from the first two hours - showed scenes from the endgame, which are in the final game, completely unchanged. I find that rather impressive. Kojima and his crew seem to have the actual production under very good control.

kind of throws a wrench in the whole Konami side of the story of the MGS5 debacle, that they had to take action because Kojima was just too unfocused and a bad producer and the game never would have been finished and they had to be the adults in the room

maybe it turns out the problem really was loving Konami all along

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

the game's last few acts are a solid demonstration of how confident the developers were in the gameplay itself

the battle with higgs is the climax spectacle-wise, but the real final boss is that last trek back to headquarters. the first leg of the "delivery" tests how meticulous you've been with developing infrastructure and pathways up to that point - my zipline network extended from the tar belt shore all the way to the lake knot distro center, so it was pretty much effortless. the second half instead places the responsibility on the people with whom you've connected, as you use their structures to help survive the slog through the BT-infested downpour. the whale isn't so much a proper endboss as the final obstacle between you and your destination, and like the Gold Lion boss fight, the real threat isn't to you, but to your cargo, which has probably been bashed up on the way over

so true. it’s too bad evidently i really was the only one in my shard or whatever contributing poo poo in the starter area. the trek back to lake knot was a piece of cake, i even did deliveries and finished the north-south highway along the way. the gauntlet back east was an end to end loving fight. just ladders and ziplines to loving nowhere. the only help i wound up getting was somebody left some cargo repair spray in the waypoint west of capital city, which probably did save my delivery from being destroyed by the five lions, and a truck somebody left.

thank you to those two guys specifically lmao

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's baffling to me that anyone sided with the corporation who shuffled underperforming employees into janitorial work and heavily monitored and restricted their ability to work versus the development team with a proven track record of making innovative, polished, and profitable games for more than a decade. I think it's partially people being put off by Kojima's (very real) ego and capitalism breaking people's brains into compulsively siding with management over workers.

a corporation could be shooting people up with polio in the streets and you’d still find some nerds on the internet going like “polio is back in a big way (and that’s a good thing)”

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

After I finished the game, I donated a bunch of multi-rocket launchers to the Port Knot share locker and built out and upgraded every structure I could from there to Capital Knot.

youre a good man charlie brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

i used a combo of all three strategies and it was very satisfying