Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Man i sure how you can just mow some assholes down in this game with real guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Wolfsheim posted:

SMH if you ever used guns that shoot actual bullets in MGSV outside of the three missions that required it

Hey, i've done the non lethal thing in mgs5, it's not quite as fun as using all those other weapons.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

lets hang out posted:

When people die they make huge spooky ghost craters so you're probably not allowed to just shoot people to death in this one video game

Sounds pretty lame, i want to make ghost craters.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I suspect the reviews are going to nosedive once more people actually end up playing it and realizing that hideo kojima unfiltered is just not very good and it's ok to talk poo poo about it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Rad Valtar posted:

This is not the first time I’ve read this about the game and I think people who are expecting to be exploring the world finding interesting people or places are going to be disappointed. Almost everyone in the game lives in underground cities that Sam is trying to make deliveries to.

Yes, there's a plot justification- that doesn't really invalidate what they thought, though. Just because there's a plot justification for a thing in a game doesn't mean it isn't bad.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Look Sir Droids posted:

Players self-apply limitations for challenge runs in all kinds of games. It's just not a "gameplay" question. It's a question of how you want to use the tools the game gives you. You can use them or not use them. That's up to you in most if not all character action games. Just because you can get the infinity bandana in all the MGS games doesn't turn the "gameplay" bad. You simply choose not to use it.

For 3, outside of boss fights, the only challenge to non-lethal is suppressor life. It's not an open world game. If you get out of an area, it doesn't matter if a dude wakes up. And cautions don't cost you anything but time. Go take a poo poo and wait for the timer to run out.

MGS1 is the most difficult non-lethal because stealthing is (I think?) the only way to do that. But if you do it, it's the path of least resistance.

These games aren't difficult outside of a few boss fights. All of them have relied on self-imposed challenges to make them "hard". Not that it matters. Difficulty isn't "gameplay" either. The term you're probably looking for here is "balance."

Yeah, nearly every MGS game is much easier non-lethal except for bosses. After MGS1 you're given effective non-lethal weapons and then you no longer have to do things like hide bodies because guards don't react to their buddies falling asleep with a dart in their face- and this is a common element through all post-MGS1 games.

In the games before tranq guns, at least, non-lethal meant almost no interaction with guards.

MGS4's gameplay was fine, there just isn't a whole lot of it. The sneaking portion of Act V is very good, but otherwise it's very barren in terms of gameplay segments.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Look Sir Droids posted:

Ground Zeroes was definitely the best part of MGS5. It was the best map, the best designed area, and had better missions than 90% of TPP. TPP should have been several curated areas that more than one mission takes place in, not an open world.

TPP's biggest sin was having exactly one mission in your base because that's by far the best infiltration space in the game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

exquisite tea posted:

I'm about 4.5 hours into the game and I agree that the dialogue is kinda bad. Characters don't have their own personalities and identifiable motivations so much as they deliver nonstop informational exposition to the player. You could swap Die-Hardman and Deadman's lines all throughout the first three hours and nothing would be significantly different, that to me is a sign of weak characterization.

I really like the concept and the environments once you actually get out into the world, but I feel like almost all the cinematics could have been told through the gameplay. People essentially figured out everything about Death Stranding back in 2017, I think they could have been trusted more to follow the story without spelling everything out line by line.

Yeah the people speaking in infodumps and reedus going "gently caress you i do what I want" is a really grating series of interactions and shows Kojima's absolute lack of trust in a person to actually pick up on things.

There's so much exposition on stuff that's very obvious that important things seem to just get left out. It's kinda why Norman Reedus seems like such a non-character.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's totally obvious that if there wasn't a difference then you wouldn't be bothered by it. Think about the context rather than reflexively rejecting it.

In the interest of full disclosure, I find anyone saying "why couldn't this artist make their work more conventional?" to be disappointing.

Take an obvious, conventional trope. Now think of something even more stupid. Welcome to Death Stranding, and what people call "unconventional".

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I only read reviews to hear about how smart i am for playing hideo koijima's games.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm actually kinda enjoying the game now that the cutscenes are fewer and further between. The gameplay does get a bit better, though the game's been trivial so far.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Macaluso posted:

So after you get the bike, you get a job to bring a thing back to the first city in the region a thing in 30 minutes. A cool thing was that on the way there, I have come across two player made generators so my bike has gotten fuel refills on the way there. Running into player made stuff is super cool.

It's cool, though it does make the game pretty easy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I love watching Norman Reedus no-sell every emotional scene he's put in.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I like how they give you an assault rifle and then tell you 'lol you can't use it'

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Rusty posted:

The only time I have been caught by a BT is when I was forced to use the bomb to kill one. Other than that, I have never had a problem driving right by or sneaking through. I think the game would actually be better without them, but they aren't the huge hindrance I was led to believe.

Because BTs sit still and don't respond to being attacked, every BT encounter is absolutely trivial once you get any weapon that works on them.

Then again, the more i play, the easier it is.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Macaluso posted:

Having to hold X to confirm instead of hitting circle to get out of the cargo screen is really annoying

Having to menu to skip the samey cutscene of Reedus putting boxes on a conveyor belt is also annoying.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
"heh, you're not looking for unique experiences, obviously that's the only reason someone might not like my game"

hideo kojima, not being smug as gently caress

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pigbottom posted:

True.

The reason I think the game is so divisive is that is not trying to be all things to all kinds of people like most AAA games. It does what it does well, but if this it's not your kind of thing you're going to hate it.

I think i'd like the gameplay a lot more if Kojima actually tried to make it difficult. He sort of feels afraid to commit to it, and very few deliveries are any kind of challenge.

He also doesn't really stick to the delivery gameplay The hunt the Mads sections are extremely tedious.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tei posted:

The most common experience on this game is getting to chapter 3 then grinding to build roads to cross the area it seems the area have that effect on most people.

TIPS:

When you unlock a new destination, check the service available and fill the holes. Do this destination have a generator?, maybe a anti-timefall protection?..a place to sleep?. Building one of these seems to give a lot of like.

Also don't sleep on zip lines you can connect two destinations using zip lines, and is the faster way to travel. Make the mountain section of the map super easy to travel, connecting Mountain Knot, Engineer and Mountainer. .

Yeah I decided to just build the highway all the way to South Knot City and get the level 3 truck and play Kojima Truck Simulator.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

0 rows returned posted:

its because its so surface level that there isnt anything to comment on

yeah lol almost every AAA game does this, they just call it 'xp' or something else and have it actually do something, it's not really commentary if you just do the thing

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Macaluso posted:

Higgs is great because Troy Baker is just having a great time

Most of the writing/voice acting is very mediocre, but Troy Baker/Higgs definitely fit what Kojima was trying to write for him.

I ended up enjoying the gameplay a lot more than i enjoyed the story.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Triarii posted:

BTs are like 80% spooky atmosphere and only 20% actually challenging game mechanics. If you can work through the atmosphere and experiment a bit with the mechanics, it's not too hard to "solve" the way they work and really minimize their threat, especially once you get hematic grenades. But still, I think the way they're set up does a good job of communicating how hosed this world is and how terrifying it must be to the average person - like, imagine if you didn't have a bridge baby with you so you couldn't see or detect BTs at all.

Most things in this game are about 80% atmosphere, 20% challenge, be they BTs, mules, rules about killing people, even movement.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Die-Hardman is actually pretty well-acted when he gets to be a character. Too bad that's very seldom.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Modest Mao posted:

I think punishing you mechanically for killing is a stronger message than just not including it or not allowing it

It really isn't much punishment. The only time bodies you make turn into BTs is if you stand there staring. Otherwise you just get yelled at by Die-Hardman and nothing really happens. Kojima's lack of commitment to the game's premise is one of its huge weaknesses.

Presenting Nipples posted:

It is 100% this. They are also apparently pissed at the kinda big spoiler dialog mario and princess peach line.

Giant bomb spent 3 minutes on a podcast saying how dumb it was and there are tons of YouTube videos showing that scene where people berate the story.

I personally loved that line and that the writing is very aware you are in a video game. The constant references to continued, game overs, etc. are fantastic in context and it makes that line a funny albeit corny culmination of that theme.

I don’t get why people are trying desperately to hate on the game - hell even this thread is 2/5 despite nearly everyone posting loving it.

The writing is really, really spotty imo- there's some really good stuff in the last stretch but it's very hard to take seriously if you weren't hooked early on, and if you're not down for loredumps and Reedus no-selling every emotional line he gets delivered, you're probably going to be soured on the game before you get to the better writing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Wait can I actually just go on a killing spree and so long as I leave nothing happens?

Yep. Kojima's more bark than bite in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chello De Don posted:

i don't think this is actually the case. i left a few dead bodies lying around and several hours later in my playthrough die hardman called me and said they were about to go BT and i needed to move the bodies to the incinerator. i wasn't able to do so, and the drat things voided out and caused me to have to redo the mission where you carry mama. so yeah, they absolutely are a gameplay element.

My experience was mowing down a terrorist camp and then die hardman getting really mad at me but then he tells me some other porters took care of it so it's actually fine.