Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

I got this game 3 days ago now and I love it; I get the same enjoyment that I do from skiing around looking for points of interest in Steep.

The problem Iím having is with the multiplayer element. Iím currently only on Chapter 3. I get the point of it - cooperation makes survival in a harsh world possible. But, at the moment it completely negates any challenge, and rather spoils the desolate world feeling. Even with signs turned off, it feels like thereís so much stuff everywhere; I can usually tell the best route to a location by the positions of ladders and bridges.

Should I stick with it? Iím really tempted to start a new offline save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What you're missing is that this is fundamentally not a lone-survivor game. It's a game about rebuilding. Having other people out and about building things you can use, and you in turn, means the world isn't as terrible and lonely a place as it was before you got the Chiral Network online.

I get that! But I havenít had to build a single thing beyond the mission-mandated things yet, and I never really need to plan a route because if thereís a tricky point I can guarantee thereíll be a ladder or climbing rope there already.

The overall world-building is great, I just want to do more exploring myself. If other playersí structures only gradually started to appear Iíd be much happier.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What you're missing is that this is fundamentally not a lone-survivor game. It's a game about rebuilding. Having other people out and about building things you can use, and you in turn, means the world isn't as terrible and lonely a place as it was before you got the Chiral Network online.

FWIW I finally ďgotĒ this. I only have around 30-60 minutes free to play at a time so Iíve just been working through the eastern region standard orders, havenít advanced chapter 3 at all. My little valley is completely crisscrossed with paths now - and I love how realistic paths develop organically, spreading out and diverging where the ground gets flat. Thereís something very zen about it, and this is the ďbadĒ part of the game!

Was nice to get used to the Wind Farm - I had basically the best possible first trip, in that I fell down the hill, got caught, and barely escaped in a full-on flail-panic.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

The Elder: can I keep him alive just by sending a robot off towards him every now and again?

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Wrong thread

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Didnít know that was a thing - but couldnít you also send some bots out on orders?

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Sitting in the private room looking around desperately for anything other than the shower to interact with before sighing to myself and thinking "Well, I guess I have no other choice but to hop in the shower with Guillermo Del Toro..."

Clearly the canon thing to do in this scene is to sink cans of Timefall Porter and make faces at BB.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Conversely I think the bit where you're in the mountains with no BB and you haven't quite gotten the exos sorted to the point of trivializing everything is probably one of the better parts of the game, because things are actually threatening and challenging still and there is quite a lot of tricky terrain to navigate there, and a couple of the deliveries I think have time limits too so you're actually pushed.

Iím really enjoying my second playthrough (Iím not really expecting to finish it, I just do one order after work to wind down before studying). Iím not Ďallowedí to manufacture anything or take from a share locker, have to either find it in the world or loot a camp, and Iíve not built any roads. It makes the world a lot tougher and makes a single standard order a nice little adventure.

Iíve left all the timed ones though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

There used to be people called ďdirectorsĒ. They would oversee a creative project and steer it towards its goal. Kind of like how Bridges steers porters towards rebuilding America, donít you think? 😊😊