Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007
Nah. Offhand, I'd say I haven't learned a damned thing.

Douchebag posted:

Just finished this game and wow, I’m speechless. Felt like a Netflix series I got to interact with.

I’m also loving stupid and played it for 40+ hours without knowing there was an online part, I didn’t read much about it prior to playing it and a friend said “hey give it a shot, great story!”

I had rebuilt 25 roads with 95K+ materials before I found the login feature. By myself.

That hurts! I built the first road all by myself, but i only got about half of the materials for the next segment, came back after a couple more deliveries/rests and I had highway through both of the Mule zones outside Lake Knot City. Grabbed a trike and cruised right past those goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Lobok posted:

Love watching these serious cutscenes with Norman Reedus in a baseball cap and lime green sunglasses.

Also, kudos to me, I used the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the hypotenuse for figuring out if two ziplines were close enough to each other to connect. Haven't touched that equation in many years!

I didn't math it out but planning zipline routes has led to a surprising amount of surveying and exploring. It's impressive how far the game will let you climb up stuff, there's surprisingly few areas that block you from going crazy with ladders. I loving love how ladders and rope lines open up all of your vertical surfaces, I can't think of any other game that handles vertical exploration so well. It gives you a lot of freedom but isn't just completely silly and boring like Assassin's Creed.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Chapter 7 thoughts:

the twin thing with Lockne and Mama was weird and creepy and I wish at least one of the characters had reacted in horror like i did. My wife is a twin and hates it when media treats twins like they have a special bond or are one person and i don't think I've seen a piece of media go this far with that idea. The idea that Mama was dead and held in place by her BT-baby was neat but felt like it could've some more foreshadowing, even just some flavor text somewhere before that revelation.

Why is Deadman a weird meat-man? Do we ever get any backstory on that? Why did they generate a human from scratch and make it look like Guillermo Del Toro? Dude has become really creepy in a stalker sort of way, would not be shocked to wake up to find him staring at Sam as he slept.

I'm only midway so I assume the stuff about Die Hardman will come back to bite Sam in the rear end very hard later when it turns out he's been a badguy/is nanomachines/is a clone of Sam/cloned Sam from himself etc, and Deadman casually saying, "We won't be recorded!" is a big red flag that Deadman has somehow been compromised.

Higgs is boring as a villain. Everyone has weird personalities but they're all grounded in ways that sell that these are real people in bizarre circumstances. but Higgs is 1000% Anime Villain all the time. Mads Mikkelsen is much more compelling and so far he hasn't had basically any dialogue besides flashbacks. I'm sure there's more to Higgs than being evil and summoning BTs to mess around with Sam but I'm not very engaged with finding out what. On the other hand i am stoked to find out what the hell is going on with Mad Dad and enjoyed the WW2 segment a lot more than the forced BT encounter Higgs came with.

I saw an article talking about how ziplines ruin the core gameplay of this game, but the gameplay loop of 1)trailblaze to a new base, 2) connect base to the network, 3) set up a zipline path to make travel easier, is really rewarding and I don't think constantly having to navigate difficult terrain would hold up without the reward of eventually making travel easier.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

CJacobs posted:

What, has no one ever asked you "do you remember what it was like when you were in the womb" before? I get that question all the time.
Up until that point I'd been letting all the weirdness of this game wash over me, that was the first line that made me go, "Wait, what?"

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Beat the game last night, loved it, long and weird ending but very good. Looked up how to finish the Platinum and realized I haven't been using premium deliveries and I already 5-starred almost everybody. I'll probably go back and platinum this one for the hell of it but boy that trophy for 80 premium deliveries on hard would've been nice to know about 40 hours ago.

I was sure for a while there that Sam was Lou and there was some Ha/Ka time travel bullshit going on, in a little relieved it was just that the memories were Sam's, not Lou. IMO the decision to have solid actors like Mads for those bits helped sell the melodrama a lot. I teared up when Cliff started singing to baby Sam and realizing why Cliff and Sam both whistle the same tune. Stealth best dad game? Sam freeing Lou hit me really hard and made me want to have kids, which is not at all a reaction I expected from any game, especially not one as weird as this.

Is there any better explanation of what it means to be an Extinction Entity or what that black skull mask was about or why Higgs gold mask made Amelie turn into a Drakengard character?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I've been collecting all of the memory chips and I'm really into how the collectables in this game aren't necessarily more bits of lore or world-class building, it's just Hideo Kojima's blog about stuff he thinks is cool.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Personally if you're going to bother five-starring the Eastern region, I recommend coming back later after you finish unlocking all of your structure options. Ziplines make that area so much easier, you can skip right past any bottlenecks stuffed with BTs.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Once you complete a road segment, the game will show you messages that other players are contributing supplies to repair them, I assume when those players are adding materials to build their own roads. I'm in the post game wrapping up an attempt at platinum and haven't had any issues with the roads I've built. The last one I checked was at like 80% damage, and it's in a later area that doesn't get much support. By the time you reach the mountains the roads are a lot more work because A) you have to connect one of the preppers who takes forever to join and his network chunk covers 3 or 4 paver, unless you want to fill all of the pavers 100% by yourself, B) there are like five segments you need to fill to cross one large but very flat meadow that is very easy to just drive through and C) all of those segments past the northern incinerator are way more expensive than the other road sections.

I do worry about my ziplines wearing out a lot. I usually carry an extra PCC just in case I ever come across one that's totally worn out, but the truth is the worst I've ever found one was at 50%. I have found other people's structures worn completely out, which was neat. Not sure why their stuff wore down but mine is still ok? I guess it depends on how much timefall that area is coded for.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah, if you have the roads built the easiest way to get the pizza delivered is to walk towards the weather station and then cross down to the highway. I had a bridge someone built a little south off the weather station that made crossing the river very easy. If you don't have the roads built... Good luck! It's not hard to steer clear of mules and you can just take your time with BT zones or put on a speed skeleton and try to run through it but it will take time to make that walk.

The pizza guy can't be completed until almost the end of the game but the rewards are pretty useful for the last stretch imo. Not necessary but useful.

I'm in the last stages of getting a platinum on this game but I'm still having a lot of other players structures show up. I'm not sure how exactly it all works but I've definite had more ziplines show up with time (sometimes making my zipline path very confusing) and I got at least some support on the roads when I connected the network in those areas. I made a conscious effort to stop and manually smash the like button on anything useful and I think that may help more stuff show up? You can also delete other players structures and the game will replace them to whatever the cap is for online structures, so if you need more online ziplines try deleting stuff you don't need, like postboxes or loving safehouses literally right outside a distribution center.
At this point (post-game) I have three zipline routes that transfer between the mountain area and the rest of the central region. My initial route to cross into the mountains was from the South Knot Distribution Center to the weather station then up some online ziplines to the roboticist, which I used to build out all over the rest of the mountains.

If I had to pick an optimal one, building one from the timefall farm into the mountains gets you to a chunk of preppers, so that's probably the most efficient if you're running into bandwidth issues. Weather station up to the roboticist is central, which is nice. The Craftsman to the mountain district center was actually the last area I ziplined and it took a lot of units because there's a lot of wide open ground there between delivery locations. I didn't bother there because I built the road instead. I only built ziplines out there because I found a bunch of ziplines scattered around when I was grabbing the last of the memory chips.

I understand why it's designed that way but I hated the first area putting BT zones in a bottle neck and I can't imagine ranking up that area without ziplines. You can climb around the BTs in the forest and the beach near Capital Knot but I never found a way around the zone in the pass to Port Knot.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I just had this happen trying to take a shortcut off a raised part of the highway. I thought I was close enough to the ground, drove off the edge and immediately got thrown out of the truck, ran back to grab my stuff as had it explode right in my face. Gave my wife a good laugh.

I've been goofing around with the speed skeleton and the stabilizer in the post game and the jump on these things is insane. You can't really take advantage of it with a full load but if you're only carrying about half your max weight (floating carriers let you cheat around that a bit) you can use the long jump to make some crazy manuevers and cross some big gaps or speed through some really rough terrain by just jumping through all of it.

On the other hand I missed one jump in the area near the Collector, fell straight into a crevasse and immediately died. So some risks.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I definitely took the BT with Mama as a big hint to just run since picking up Mama makes you drop any cargo you were carrying, and I didn't see any equipment popping up so I figured it didn't expect me to stick around.

I carried a quad rocket launcher all the way from the paleontologist to Edge Knot City and it was fun to shoot but I could've just taken two assault rifles instead and gotten more damage out of it. I never found a better damage combo than grenade->assault rifle through the blood cloud. I tried firing plain rockets after painting the target with blood but it never seemed to do much.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Midjack posted:

I tried running from the BT near Mama and it ate me a couple of times, so I then tried fighting it while carrying Mama, but she was getting beaten up so I finally put her down in the lab building anteroom and killed the BT.

That area has those those old highway ruins, which don't get sucked into the tar when the BT spawns. I managed to climb up on one of those and then it was a clean run to the other end which was out of the tar zone. That's awesome you can still use the structure and the terminal!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Stoatbringer posted:

Are there any mule camps, preppers or distribution centres that have regular supplies of ceramics? I can find vast quantities of special alloys all over the place but struggle to build roads due to lack of ceramics. There’s a bunch of autopavers on my map which are fully loaded with metal but hardly any ceramics.

The Recycle option could do with a way of transmuting unwanted material into other substances.

I was able to finish the roads after connecting all of the network areas by loading up at the different Knot Cities and distribution centers with the required metal/ceramics/chiral crystals in a truck and driving to the next autopaver. The centers refill over time and typically have enough that you can get a huge chunk of materials and still have enough to build anything you need. I also grabbed chiral crystals at preppers shelters instead of hunting it down because it was a lot faster and they also fill up over time. I used a handwritten list to make it easier to keep track of what I needed so I could budget and I'm not sure how I feel about this game tricking me into using a spreadsheet and enjoying it.

I'm pretty sure there is a mule camp with ceramics, I thought there was one for every material. Aren't there two by the Engineer? I think the one to his East has a lot of metals and the one to his West has ceramics.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I built all of the roads and the northern/mountain roads were definitely less useful. There are a couple of spots where they let you skip around BT zones. The marshes in particular, I don't understand why the road meanders so much and has so many pavers required when I very easily drove a truck straight through the marshes to the mountains. It's the least necessary section of road. I still built it because I wanted a complete road system for the hell of it but you can easily get away with building up to the marsh and after the marsh and just slapping some charging stations down in the marsh instead of rebuilding the like 5 autopaver sections in there. IIRC there's no trophy for finishing the road system 100%.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Midjack posted:

There’s no trophy for doing it but it definitely helps to have a complete road net if you’re going for the platinum.

Absolutely! I can't imagine trying to get a truck from South Knot to Mountain Knot without the road and having it survive the journey, and those big timed trips were the only way I got enough points to level up my Time stat.

Lobok posted:

I never built it so how does that road work in practice that goes through terrorist territory to get to Distribution Center North of Mountain Knot City? Never had a problem driving vehicles on roads through MULE camps but the terrorists are more hardcore and because of the trees it doesn't seem like there's much room for the road to rise above the ground for some protection.

You're talking about the camp right next to the Waypoint North of Mountain Knot City, right, in the trees, not the one down in the marsh? Like Jolo said, the one in the marsh just has the road go up in the air so you're safe from that camp until you're past their territory.

The camp in the pine trees is different and it took me a bit to find the autopavers that build past it. The road goes up past the incinerator and then cuts west in the area north of the terrorist camp/pass. There's a path you can drive a truck up to the north of the incinerator that leads to the autopaver that makes the turn, and then it makes a bridge over some rough terrain on the side of the mountains north of the camp and slopes down into the marsh well past the edge of the terrorist area.

I thought that was some slick environmental design. When I first made my way to that area I saw the pass and drove right into a hail of gunfire. Somehow I made it in a non-defensive truck through those woods (I tried to drive through the trees and have no idea how I didn't get stuck) and then avoided that area as much as possible unless I was hunting terrorists. But there's nothing except rougher terrain stopping you from just going around the terrorists, so if you wanted to you could completely avoid that entire pass.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

It sure is! You can see the crater on the map and if you're very sneaky or look it up on YouTube you can literally climb over the invisible wall blocking it off and go walk around it.

I'd like to see how the PC version handles zipline travel. That was by far the jankiest time I had with the game, I had some slow down or freezes as the game loaded areas because I was ziplining too fast.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

The other strategy for BTs is to build a post box before their area, put your stuff in it except for blood weapons, and intentionally get caught. Then kill the big one. It clears the area for a while and you get a lot of crystals.

This isn't really viable until later in the game when you get access to more anti-BT tools, but you can also get caught and then just run away from the big one until you're clear of the tar and it'll clear BTs out of the area for a bit. They will come back, so don't hang around.

I don't think the scanner ping actually highlights BTs. If you stand still for a few seconds, the BTs nearby will become more visible. Keeping an eye on where your scanner is pointing is, as was said, absolutely vital as it always points at the nearest BT.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Lost cargo also helps if you need just a few more points to bump up your level with a preppers. It's not really worth it for the big distribution centers since they require many more likes but it can really help with people like the Elder or the First Prepper who just don't have as many deliveries and are a pain to reach even with a robust zipline network.

One thing I found helped with building a better zipline network was deleting structures from other players that were useless. There's a cap on how many structures you can see from other players so removing useless postboxes or bridges opens up space fort more ziplines. I definitely noticed an increase in ziplines once I started that.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I started playing a bit late on the PC release and I'm having a... Weird problem? I'm not out of the first zone yet so maybe it gets better later but... People have already built everything everywhere that's relevant. I was looking forward to the whole cooperative building stuff but it uh... Feels like it's done before I could get to do anything with it. Although even my totally superfluous bridge has been getting likes so I dunno maybe its fine?

Count yourself lucky and get to the central region. That's the meat of the game and I guarantee you won't have every structure you want already built, though there will be a lot of useful ones.

Also some lovely ones. A lot of bridges to nowhere. I had one bridge between the main road and the Waystation near Mountain Knot that was a trap, it looked convenient but it always got my truck stuck or tipped me over the side because of the angle it was at between the road and a pass in the mountain. I ended up making signs you remind me to go around it. In hindsight I should've just deleted it but I forgot I could do that.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Did you locate the roboticist? Raise your rating with her first, she gives you gear that's practically mandatory for hiking in the mountains. It won't help avoid BTs but it will save a lot of grief.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Krazyface posted:

Are there any critical normal orders? I.e. once you've maxed out a station's stars, is there any point in delivering more stuff there? (beyond getting likes and so on)

No, the only orders that you can't skip are the ones under "orders for Sam" that move the plot forward.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I snatched up guns and wasted any skeletons I ran into. Your odradek will point towards the Combat Veteran, I didn't run into skeletons unless I went towards him but I played on normal and have no idea if they get more strategic or aggressive on hard. Other people have said you can use your strand to insta-kill them if you can get behind them.

Combat veteran spoiler: I wasn't a fan of the first combat zone but I actually really liked the WW2 and Vietnam era levels. It helped that I knew what I was supposed to do, I spent like 5 minutes trying to exit the first area and looking for any kind of trigger/button prompt before I decided to try using the guns lying around to shoot things. I liked how each environment was very different. The trenches are narrow and claustrophobic, the bombed city is open with random bits of cover or buildings to work around, and the forest in Vietnam is full of grass and trees to try and hide in. By the third combat nightmare I was pumped to go beat up Mads Mikkelsen.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I didn't read a lot of the emails and stuff, so I missed out on some of the worldbuilding (I end up seeing it in here summarizing it luckily). Does anything in the game mention or hint about anything with the world outside of America? Also is the entire ocean tar now?

they just mention that no one knows what's going on outside America, because of the chiral matter in the clouds space and air travel are both unfeasible, all satellites are lost so there's really no way to find out.

Not sure about the oceans. I thought the crater lake you cross and the one above the Craftsman were regular water? Even with modern boating equipment ocean travel would be significantly harder without radar or radio or GPS. It's clear the chiral network has a very limited range compared to even traditional radio.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

The BB-removal period is done once you connect those the requested shelters, so just speed through it and you'll get your BB back.
Meanwhile, yeah, go slow and use your cord cutter. I think someone mentioned that cutting a BT cord refills your breath meter, so you can just go from cord to cord until you're clear of the area.
Alternatively, just rush through the BT zone w/ the speed skeleton and if you get caught run away from the big fish that pops up. Your cargo will get a little messed up but it shouldn't stop you form completing the required deliveries.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

You don't need materials to build ziplines, just to upgrade them. A level 2 zipline has an extra 50 feet of range but that's all, so if you plan ahead you can stretch out a network with a few carefully selected upgrades.

You don't have to build ziplines at all but making the grand zipline network from coast to coast was one of the big highlights of the game for me! Not all at once, of course. I'd build out, go raise levels with some preppers to get more bandwidth, and build some more. I'd love more open world/action games that let you build your own infrastructure!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Assassin's Creed Odyssey makes me want to deliver packages all over Greece. It's a beautiful game but the controls are so slick that you're totally detached from the environment at all times. You can climb everything, everywhere, except in certain plot areas that are all fancy corridors. There's no engagement with the environment and I often find myself wishing that there was because some of the locations are gorgeous and would be fun to travel through, just not in this game engine.

I don't need to deliver mail in every game ever but I hope future games take notes from how Death Stranding makes the environment itself the main obstacle. The environmental design means so much more when it actually affects your character instead of just being basically wallpaper.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

thumper57 posted:

Sam's mother's name was Lisa Bridges.

I don't think he took on a company name, he took on his biological mother's name. Which is definitely something a person who knows they were adopted might do if they were trying to distance themselves from their adopted parents. This isn't one of Kojima's insane plot twists, he just changed his last name. The game isn't super clear on it but I do believe Sam knows he's adopted, he just doesn't know the circumstances or his dad.

People have weird names because Kojima subscribes to the Thomas Pynchon school of naming, where character names are often used as short hand to tell the reader who they are and sometimes make really dumb puns like Die Hardman.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of kojima things, here's a neat little detail I haven't seen anyone mention which I just coincidentally got some footage of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_1C50Iyihg

If you manage to trigger a radio dialogue while one is already in progress, the caller will stop and clear their throat to make the transition between them sound a bit more natural. Other than this specific spot I honestly can't recall any other times where this could potentially happen!

This is such a simple idea! I had no clue this was a thing, but it's such a good solution to switch voice clips like that.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Honestly I found the quad-rocket launcher wasn't worth the space it took up. Throw a grenade and then shoot through the blood cloud/stain on the BT and you get way better DPS. The quad-launcher can target multiple targets but there are no BT battles where that would actually help. It can target multiple spots on the big boss BTs but I still didn't see a major increase in damage over just the ol' paint and shoot. Kind of disappointing. I feel like it's almost a vestigial left-over from Kojima designing all of the MGS games, it never has a clear use-case.

I don't remember if I tried but can it be used in the Veteran's Nightmare? The Vietnam one has open spaces with foliage providing cover, it might be useful there. If I recall, the soldiers following the Combat Veteran will take damage from blood weapons just as well as normal ones.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

They're all classics but the gameplay is pretty different. MGSV was the only one that had an open world setting, everything else is a linear structure or episodic missions. As with any older game, expect to miss some of the QOL design decisions modern games have standardized to be missing.

That said they all have Kojima's incredible attention to detail and bizarre ideas. MGS3 is one of my GOAT and it includes enemy soldiers who: are a ghost, an old man who used photosynthesis to survive, a guy full of bees? It gets wacky as hell but there's also a poignant story in the middle of all the insanity.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Ooh gently caress, more interviews might have me jump into this sooner than I anticipated, those were probably my favourite part of the game.

I must've absolutely missed any deliveries for Higgs, but the Elder in my game is still alive and kicking I'm pretty sure.

Thanks for the answers, y'all.

Major spoiler on Higgs: Peter Englart, the jerk who keeps ordering pizza and not being there when you deliver it, is Higgs using a pseudonym.

You can complete the final delivery during the Aurora Borealis sequence and it gives you some nice gun upgrades.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Eventually the body will void out and you'll get a game over screen. You need to grab the body and deliver it to the incinerator to be able to continue freely.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

MGSV has really good gameplay, but it is a stealth game, not a traversal game, and the open world concept in it feels under baked. The plot gets sparse/hard to follow about halfway through and had much less of the kind of humor you see in the other MGS games and DS. Personally I think it's much grimmer and depressing than DS. One of the big themes of DS is the good of bringing people together even in the face of inevitable death, versus MGSV is all about people turning against each other and growing increasingly callous. But that stealth gameplay is rock solid and is a fun sandbox to play in.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Snowy posted:

I thought the double jump only showed up in that last long beach scene, was that seriously in the game the whole time?

You can use it with the power and all-terrain skeletons as long as you're not super loaded down. The speed skeleton has a long jump instead that gets an amazing amount of distance.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

CJacobs posted:

If Sam Porter Bridges could port Bridget's bridges, how many Bridges bridges could Sam Porter port?

Sam! Diehardman here. Sam, imagine four Sam Porter Bridges on the edge of a Cliff. Say a direct copy of the Sam Porter Bridges nearest the Cliff is sent to the back of the line of Sam Bridges and takes the place of the first Sam Bridges. The formerly first Sam Bridges becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth fights off the Cliff. Porting works the same way.
I know it's a challenge, but we're all counting on you, Sam!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Floating carriers consume crystals pretty slowly. I'm not sure of the exact rate but even when I was low on crystals I never ran out from using one. Did you figure out how to ride it like a skateboard?

Cryptobiotes in the room don't do anything afaik except help make it so Sam can produce poop grenades. Gotta eat solids to make solids. Eating regular cryptobiotes in the field will also do this so it's not something special to the ones in the room.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I did find it annoying that the Eastern region has that pass with no alternate path around it. You can get to the windfarm or from Capital Knot to the first waystation without encountering BTs if you're willing to do some mountain climbing but you have absolutely no way of getting through that pass without having to wade through the BTs there. Getting a zipline set up there was a pain but made leveling up that region so much easier.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Dominoes posted:

The character names on the level of Hiro Protagonist.

https://youtu.be/t-3i6GBYvdw

Kojima just does that kind of thing all the time. Subtlety is not his style. MGS at least justified it most of the time as a code name, Death Stranding just says gently caress it and names the main characters after important groups and concepts in the game. It's almost a shock when Higg's real name is something normal.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

barbecue at the folks posted:

My wife with a STEM degree was the one who put 2 and 2 together when Peter Englert started ordering pizzas. Peter Englert is a combination of Peter Higgs and Francois Englert, the men who figured out the Higgs Boson. The reveal at the end was still really fun. Some people hate Kojima for this stuff, I adore him for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Midjack posted:

That one is probably the most annoying because of the BTs though there is a later pepper that is a complete pain in the rear end to get to without zip lines and is reluctant to join the network.

All of the preppers who take some deliveries before joining up are in remote/hard to reach areas. The ones that are hard to reach because of being on a mountain side or in a canyon, you can at least open up the network as close as possible, set up a zipline station as near as you can get it, and use ladders/rope to make the rest of the trip a little easier. There's one who's out on the edge of one of the big flat areas, that one's not so bad if you take a long-distance truck and make yourself a charging station (or just drive to the nearest garage, which isn't too bad).
The First Porter is the only one who is too far from the borders of other prepper's network areas to really do this. You can't get a zipline close enough to overcome the terrible steep slope that dork lives on, and it makes him IMO the biggest pain.