Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Me and missus finally finished the game and loved it, even if the ending went Full Kojima. I'm already missing our sessions of chilling out and just laying down some infrastructure or delivering pizza. We delivered all the pizzas. We loved the easter egg.

I'm pretty sure DS is one of those games that make the top 10 lists of all Serious Game Writers in twenty years time because It Proved Games Could Be Art or something. I don't mind, Kojima succeeded in doing what he was after and I loved getting taken along for the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I would think the game would be both a lot harder and a lot more boring without the perks that raising connection levels through deliveries and building infrastructure gives. The highways are perhaps the most important quality of life improvement but also the biggest investment time and resource wise.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I found the Novelist's Son random cargo right next to his prepper hut. Just go drive around his part of the map and you should get lucky.

I finished the western roads after five starring most of Middle America's people. After you have connected everyone, you can just take a truck and drive around door to door collecting metal and ceramics and then go dump them in the autopavers. Shouldn't take that many trips!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, once you start building your silly awesome ziplines which zoom you over the mountaintops, you're gonna want that bandwidth. The new and updated gear you get is also incredibly useful.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

My wife with a STEM degree was the one who put 2 and 2 together when Peter Englert started ordering pizzas. Peter Englert is a combination of Peter Higgs and Francois Englert, the men who figured out the Higgs Boson. The reveal at the end was still really fun. Some people hate Kojima for this stuff, I adore him for it.

Not every story has to be an imitation of lovely 2010s prestige tv, you can explore concepts that are meaningful to you in other ways and, god forbid, even have fun while doing so!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Also during the endgame there are areas where the BTs will respawn instantly after you turn your back at them after killing the midboss. I guess it is to make a strategic cleaning of certain choke points impossible. That one made me a bit angry.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I felt like the whole point of the game was to feel that sense of camaraderie-at-a-distance when the at first desolate and barren landscapes slowly start being filled with signs of human habitation and engineering. It's a completely unique experience. When it dawned on me what was going on I felt a real sense of joy in my discovery, the kind I haven't felt in front of a video game in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I really like the steady progression from being scared as hell IRL and being under constant mortal danger during the first BT encounters to being able to go toe-to-toe with them in the endgame, without losing the sense that they are an otherworldly danger which Should Not Be and any mistakes spell certain doom. Few games manage to create an adversary which does not lost its feeling of dangerousness during.