Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Captain Walker posted:

I beat the game a couple weeks ago For people looking to pick this up on PC: the hottest tip I can give that's not on the Before-I-Play wiki is that the chapters are not equal in length by any means; most of your travelling will occur in chapters 3, 5, and 8. At the very end of Chapter 8, once the trophy pops, doing the next objective will start chapter 9, and from there it's all linear travel, boss fights, and interminable cutscenes. You won't really be able to prepare for any of it gear-wise, either, unless you built out an extremely thorough zip-line network beforehand.

Ok, I was actually about to ask this question as I'm about 43 hours in and on chapter 8 I figured it's gotta be wrapping relatively soon. Is there a "point of no return"? Like if I want to go finish some trophy hunting is now the time to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Ok gotcha, I think I'm just coming up to that point so I'll hang back for a bit.

When I first picked up this game I remember reading the description of the MULEs where they say that they're people who "are so addicted to the oxytocin rush of making deliveries that they've gone insane" and I thought that was incredibly dumb.

I no longer think that's dumb.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Lobok posted:

Timefall resistance uses chiralium as a resource, right? All the best resistance stuff is gold because of it. So I'm guessing the answer would be that it's not plentiful or easy enough to make everything out of it. For clothes the only people really are Sam and Higgs because nobody else is really spending any time out in timefall. Could assume that the clothes are replaced but we just don't see it, assuming the stars on his thigh are reproduced.

The Chiral Artist gives you Chiral Boots as reward for some deliveries and the description mentions something about chiralium poisoning if they're worn for too long. It also mentions that some people are naturally resistant to chiralium poisoning (I'm guessing that's people with DOOMS).

Speaking of, do those boots have any actual in-game negative affect? Or is it just, "normal people couldn't wear these but Sam can handle it"?

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

I beat the game last night. I picked up my save having just crossed the tar belt at around 4 or 5pm and went to bed after reaching the post game at 1am. I loved every bit of this game from start to finish and am determined to keep delivering till I get that platinum trophy. I've only got a few facilities left to max out, the Veteran Porter and First Prepper. As well as Englert.

I should probably just spoiler the rest of this post to talk about end game stuff -

I've seen some discussion about the game being too easy and there not being enough points where you can actually fail. But I had ramped up the difficulty to Hard in Chapter 8 so that I could start working on the Legend of Legends trophy and I never turned it back down. And yeah, I died a lot in the last 6 chapters. To be fair, most of those were to the first phase of the Higgs fight before I remembered that the strand, this tool I hadn't used since Chaper 2, was the only thing I had equipped. But that last delivery was brutal too and I failed that at least 3 times. One of the funnier failed runs I was dashing through Mule territory and there were about 6 of them closing in on me. The only equipment I really had on me were a couple of assault rifles so I thought, "if ever there was a time in this game where it was necessary to kill humans, it's right now". So I blasted my way through them, only to have Lou go into autotoxemia, get caught by a BT and my cargo sink into the tar and get ruined.

I had a :aaaaa: moment during the first credit sequence as well - I kept thinking "this is dumb, why am I running around aimlessly on this beach in between spurts of exposition by Amelie? This should have been a cutscene, I'm just wasting time standing around". Then it slowly dawned me on that Sam's trapped on that beach with no escape...

Overall I found the ending to be very satisfying. It's a lot of exposition all at once but at this point I had 70+ hours logged in the game and frankly I wanted all this closure damnit! I'm sad that it's over, but glad that I still have a little post game round up to do. I think this has become my favourite game of all time, at least that I've played in my adult life. Everything I hear other people complain about or criticize, I think is great. I loved the story, the pacing, the combat, heck, even the vehicle portions. For me, it was just a perfectly awesome experience and I'm not ready to be done with it!

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Wait..the accessories do stuff?

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Death Stranding is officially the first game I've ever bothered (or was able too) platinum. God I love this game.

Toughest trophy was the grade 60 in every category. There aren't really enough timed deliveries and most of the ones that do exist give few likes. At first the biggest timed delivery I could find was transporting 600 KG from South Knot to the Geologist. Which the only way I could figure would involve driving a truck across the river, past Timefall Farm and up the snowy mountain. I never got to find out how much of a nightmare driving up the mountain would be as before I even got to Timefall farm I took a tumble down the cliff in my truck and it threw me out, and then exploded in my face, destroying my packages and blowing Sam clear of the wreckage.

Eventually I figured out there's a large delivery from Port Knot to Central Knot that requires a truck but there's no roads there so it actually is an interesting run and it gives you 1000+ likes.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I've been collecting all of the memory chips and I'm really into how the collectables in this game aren't necessarily more bits of lore or world-class building, it's just Hideo Kojima's blog about stuff he thinks is cool.

It's awesome, I listened to all the albums and have been working my way through all the movies that are mentioned (at least the ones I haven't already seen). On a side note, Nicolas Winding Refn directed/wrote a ton of my favourite movies, including the Pusher series, Bronson and Drive.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Another tip for that pizza delivery is to clear out the mule camp before you pick up the goods. I suppose you could even do the same with the BT area between the weather station and the highway. I never tried that but I'm guessing if you're quick enough after defeating the big BT you could do that whole run without encountering any enemies.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Midjack posted:

gently caress. Really?

Air conditioning bro.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Stoatbringer posted:

I love this game but really, really hate the combat. It reminds me of Deus Ex where you spend the entire time sneaking around carefully, and then the game forces you into a combat arena against a hugely overpowered enemy.
I was heading to the Chiral Relay when I got caught by a BT, and had to fight the giant squid thing. I used up all my grenades (which aren't easy to aim when you're stuck in tar on a steep mountainside), the assault rifle seems to do almost no damage at all. I eventually got it down to about 5% health when it jumped me and caused a void out. So now I'm stuck on the top of a loving mountain, next to a crater, and all my gear is ruined and I'm out of supplies. Even if I'd actually killed it I wouldn't be in a much better state, except I'd have a pile of crystals for my trouble and still need to find a private room to restock and repair in.

It's really easy to just run out of the BT zone which makes the boss disappear (and the ghosts don't come back for a while).

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Hard mode changes literally nothing except for enemy health/damage and even then it's not that hard. And you can change the difficulty at any time.

One thing to keep in mind is that you need to play on the highest difficulty to get the highest rank on deliveries. But again only enemies are affected by the difficulty rating so deliveries aren't actually any harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Maybe there's some other minute change but yeah I started on normal then ramped it up to the hardest difficulty mid way through and noticed no difference in controlling Sam. You might be right about cargo degradation but I still didn't have much trouble getting those S ranks. Hard mode is still very doable.