Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Stuff like this is genuinely amazing to me, it's hard for me to even wrap my head around the size of these teams / the amount of time going into a game when they're talking about like multiple people spending weeks working on a single rock or some guy spending months rigging a single flapping piece of duct tape.

In animation it's known as "bumping the lamp" from a sequence in Who Framed Roger Rabbit where Roger and Eddie are flailing around and Bob Hoskins (apparently unscripted) hit a lamp. The animators spent what must have been weeks ensuring that Roger's shadow matched the moving light source throughout the scene. You didn't notice it.

But your brain did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yes, but that's part of what makes it such a big "if". The only confirmed comments about it coming to PC was before they settled on the Decima engine. Right now the biggest indicator that a PC release is planned is that there was no "only on PlayStation" branding on the latest trailer, which is a bit tenuous.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

A while back I'd have agreed with you but Journey, Heavy Rain and Detroit: Beyond Human are coming to PC this year :shrug:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Spite posted:

How could MGS2 be about someone other than solid snake?

I understand what you're saying here but I have to point out that MGS2 is 100% about Solid Snake

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'm looking forward to it coming exclusively to the Epic Games Store.

(Not even too much of a stretch given they've put out ports of Journey and Heavy Rain)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Kojima razzed Geoff Keighley by putting him in the game as a guy who's awkwardly over-eager to be friends

If you fall over the baby will cry and you have to move the sixaxis to soothe it

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Look buddy, if tactical baby soothing doesn't get you hyped up then maybe strand games is the wrong genre for you.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'm only in episode 3 but "continuing on despite it being a bad idea" feels like a defining philosophy for this game. I've never reloaded when things have gone bad or I've made a dumb decision and it's always made the game more interesting.

One thing that might be dumb: as I said I'm in episode 3, and I'm fairly sure I'm near the end as I've just been told to go to South Knot City and that Fragile is there, so it sounds like I'm about to get hit with more plot. However now that I have a bola gun and a Bridges truck I'm concentrating on rolling through Mule territory and stealing thousands of ceramics to fuel my road expansion towards South Knot. Is this a bad idea at this point in the game?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

That's fair enough, as long as I'm not two story missions away from unlocking something that synthesises ceramic from the air or whatever.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Romes128 posted:

Nah. You’re in the right track. The general strat has always been to rob mules.

I just discovered another potential resource goldmine: safehouses. Check the "claim materials" option at any near the roadside, some have nothing but some have thousands of resources. One round trip in my truck was enough to build out all roads as far as the chiral network reached. Guess I'll have to actually play the game now!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

You're pretty close to the point where you start getting anti-BT weapons (if you haven't got them already). Once you have those you can methodically take out a whole area of them if you have enough.

Other things that might help as the game isn't great at explaining them:

- you can only use an odradek pulse to see BTs if you're standing still
- if you check the map after sending out a pulse the BTs get marked as white dots
- the odradek will always face the closest BT
- when you're close to a BT the odradek light will turn orange and when you're dangerously close it will start spinning instead of flapping

They are supposed to be stressful to encounter, especially early on, but over time you'll learn how much you can push your luck around them.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I've seen people say that you can piss directly on BTs to get them to back off. Never tried it myself but it's a hell of a power move.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Preparation makes a huge difference. (Chapter 3 spoilers)

I took on the junk dealer's quest to retrieve junk from the ruined outpost and failed to realise that all my hematic grenades had been ruined in my first run to the timefall farm. Even with knowing more about how BTs acted not having any way to fight back and just having to stealth past them all was hugely stressful.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'd actually just been thinking about how Sam being mute outside of main story cutscenes was kind of disappointing when I met Conan. Having him try out his tight 5 on otters and be met with total silence completely redeemed that decision for me.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Chapter 6 spoilers

Did I miss something with Sam starting to call BB "Lou"? I'm in Chapter 8 now so I understand the choice of name but the first time I remember him using the name was in the cutscene where Deadman takes Lou and I was really confused for a moment. I feel like I missed a line in an earlier chapter where Sam said "y'know I think I'm going to call you Lou" or similar.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I like how BB gets excited and claps when you use a zipline or do a big jump with the speedylegs

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I went over a bridge made by someone with the username "VOTE TRUMP 2020" earlier. I realise conservatives are incapable of parsing messages in media but Death Stranding is intensely anti-Trump / isolationist politics, only just stopping short of calling him out by name.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah from the Elder? That's what I was thinking of about stopping just short of calling him out by name

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

World War Mammories posted:

lol is the bridge located south of the lake knot distro center? where the river and the stream from the weather station converge, north of the waterfall? that one's in my game too

Nah mine was right next to the merc camp near the distribution centre north of mountain knot. Guess our guy was busy trying to GOTV in the UCA

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It's useful to get every location to at least one star so that they join the chiral network and you can use PCCs and see other people's constructs. You also get rewards once you reach 3-5 stars, most are just cosmetic but there are useful ones such as a timefall-proof cover for your backpack.

Edited to say that on second thoughts most of this stuff is only really "useful" to do more side stuff. The story invariably pushes you into new territory where you don't have the advantage of the area being connected to the network anyway

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 31, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

In my experience once something's in the world it stays until it's totally degraded. If you rebuild a road and there's another structure too close to the road's path it'll be deleted which might be what happened to you - if so there'll have been a message when you made the road.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I completed this last night and loved it. The ending was cheesy and self indulgent but it's exactly what I expected from Kojima. There's just two things I wish I'd realised before I was basically at the end of the game:

1) that the awful colour banding issues were down to the FidelityFX option - disabling it instantly made the game look so much better
2) that Die Hardman's voice actor also plays a cartoon unicorn in one of my son's favourite shows

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

All I want is for the gear I chiral print to zoom onto Sam while he yells "Geo-hematic grenade!"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

WebDO posted:

Also I'm not sure how else to efficiently visit the Seam to connect to other players other than zipline assisted suicide

Can't you just use Strand Contracts to connect with them?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Having completed this with a ton of sidequests under my belt I'm really tempted to do a story only run through ignoring roads etc. For a lot of the sidequest orders roads and ziplines are basically required but it seems like the main story is almost all network expansion with minimal backtracking, making roads a bit pointless.

On the subject of sidequests I never managed to get the First Prepper to join the UCA. Do I just need to keep an eye out for lost cargo to fill in that first star or is there somewhere that will give me deliveries for there?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Cool, I'll do a bit of mountaineering with a sticky gun

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

CJacobs posted:

gently caress I forgot about Cliff explaining in firm detail to Sam how he, Cliff, is similar to a cliff, while on his death bed. Never mind.

I loved this bit. Peak Kojima nonsense.

Most of the distro centre / outpost heads have appropriate names, don't they? William Lake, Thomas Sutherland, Alex Weatherstone, Aaron Hill etc. I assumed that after the Stranding many people took new surnames from the places they operated

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

CJacobs posted:

Kojima historically has been really staunch about not changing that stuff for the translation even dating back to MGS

MGS1 was the only game that didn't get a pass to make English script sound more natural, and according to the guy who did it Kojima was not best pleased when he found out:

The bizarre, true story of Metal Gear Solid’s English translation

quote:

Here’s what happened, as best I can piece it together. The voice-over work was done in Los Angeles, and, as script writer, I sat next to the director and had one of the three microphones that let us speak to the actors. The director and the sound tech had the other two.

I went home when the recording was finished, and the audio went to Japan, where Kojima heard it. It was my understanding that he loved it. He enjoyed it so much that he decided he wanted to create a release called Metal Gear Solid: Integral so players could play the Japanese audio with English subtitles, or vice versa.

That’s not a small job. Every single English line had to be “aligned” with the Japanese dialogue so everything flowed smoothly while it was being played. Whoever was assigned this job began to see the differences between the original Japanese writing and dialogue, and the work I had turned in.

I should mention how rare it is for the texts for two markets to ever be in the same game, especially at that time. Until then, North American releases were for North America, Japan’s voice acting and writing was for Japan, and so on. There was never a feeling that they needed to line up exactly, only that each had to offer a good experience for its particular market.

From what I heard at the time, Kojima began to hear that his work had been “tinkered” with. I’d argue there might have been a lack of appreciation for the needs of localization due to his not being bilingual, but he was not happy. As a result, all future Metal Gear games would be closely monitored for fidelity to the original Japanese script.

I feel it's kind of a shame that Kojima reacted that way. While some of the goofier lines in the later series have become part of its charm, Blaustein's localisation was a big part of setting the tone of MGS1 for western players. I'm curious, at the very least, about what we might have gotten if he'd continued to work on the rest of the series.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Is that with everyone five starred as well? I'd considered doing a zipline empire (at least to connect the areas not well served by roads) but it sounds like you need to min-max it pretty hard.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I found it really satisfying whenever I brought a new area onto the network and it populated with people's constructs, but it also got me into bad habits because I would rarely make my own bridges and just trust that someone else would have made what I needed in roughly the right place.

Having said that I was pretty judicious about deleting things if they weren't useful or spoiled the landscape too much. The bit I liked the most was seeing footpaths slowly form based on where people had travelled as it was more subtle than the other changes.

I still want to do a replay where I just mainline the story without roads or ziplines. They're great for optional deliveries but for me the best moments in the game are still forging into new territory on foot.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I just started a replay of Death Stranding and something from an early cutscene stuck out to me: when you first meet Igor his truck's body is raised extremely high above the wheels and has to lower itself so he can get out. Is there a type of truck Sam can get that can do that? If so I completely missed it on my first time through.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

350 is the max so you need some careful planning if you're planning on building a zipline network across America

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I think it's possible to link every location in Central with ziplines although you have to plan it carefully to have enough bandwidth. Weather Station to Mountain Knot should be no problem.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

You can definitely get lost in some kind of logistics strategy game doing mid-game sidequests where you're planning out a route and balancing how many parcels you're going to bring against how much equipment you're going to bring to help you on your way. I really enjoyed that aspect so (without providing spoilers) the lean towards shooty shooty in the later chapters felt a little less engaging.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

OwlFancier posted:

I mostly just didn't like the reduced focus on terrain navigation.

While I really enjoyed the increased efficiency that my road / zipline network brought, I kind of feel it ruined the game for me by letting me ignore so many mechanics.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Didn't he want you to be able to seamlessly walk coast to coast across America? That sounds very Kojima.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

All I can think of is the guy interviewed in the making of MGS2 saying "At first I thought he was joking, but I soon realised Mr Kojima was quite serious". Have to wonder how many times the team had that feeling.

It also can't be understated how talented the devs at KojiPro are. Basically every game they've put out has been an incredible technical showcase.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

This being marketed as a "director's cut" is pretty funny, as though Death Stranding (2019) was in some way not Kojima's vision.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

We have a blu ray of Alien that boasts a "DIRECTOR'S CUT" and it's introduced by Ridley Scott saying that the original release was his cut and that the only reason he did an alternative cut was because Fox asked him to so the blu ray would sell better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I like a cover, extra battery and tons of grenade pouches for BT encounters. If I'm heading into new territory I'll generally take a ladder and set of climbing anchors but not more than one of each unless I have good reason. Almost everything else is on a needs basis. The stabiliser does make it impossible to fall over (with some great animations) but it isn't worth the space it takes up for me, keeping your footing is rarely difficult.