Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
One of my absolute favorite segments in a game is the last part of Shenmue II, so all of this walking around stuff seems right up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I thought this was pretty interesting:

quote:

K: Any time you use something someone else left behind, you automatically "like" it, whether you wanted to or not. Incidentally, that's something a lot of our North American play testers pushed back on. "Quit automatically liking stuff," they told us. Their reasoning was rooted in a culture where tipping is prevalent. In America services cost a little extra on top, whereas in Japan they're just considered part of being hospitable. So we ended up blending a bit of this East and West together in DEATH STRANDING. Once the automatic "like" has been sent, you can opt to send an additional "like" if the placement of a particular item really helped you out.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Played the first couple short missions and I'm liking it a lot! Heather Alexander was right when she said that the game is full of unsubtle symbolism. In order to rebuild America, I need to burn the corpse of the last president of the old government.

Speaking of unsubtle, I also got a laugh at the digs at the gig economy. Twice now, Sam says that he doesn't want to get involved but everyone goes "Nuh uh, we have a contract with you so you gotta do it."

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Pulled an all-nighter to finish the game and it was definitely worth it. Now to re-watch Tim Roger's review and look into all the bands that had songs in the game. I really digged the music.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Now that I beat the game I watched/listened to Tim Roger and Heather Alexander's hour long spoiler chat video, and they brought up a lot of points (both positive and negative) that I agree with.

Endgame spoilers:
I agree with them that Higgs being very self-aware that he's in a game and taunting Sam about it was great. Troy Baker did a great job hamming it up as him. The fighting game life bars during the final fight was the icing on the cake.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

I need help on where to go in chapter 4. I just got through the WW1 trench. I'm back in the real world, and I'm told to go to Mama. There is no mission or delivery available though. Do it just head in a certain direction?

I think the location should be on the map.

EDIT: Beaten

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know, MULE's seem like such a silly idea, but how many of us got sucked in and hovered on Chapters 3 and 5 running standard deliveries and building Highways?... :ohdear:

MULEs are the manifestations of those completely tone-deaf Fiverr advertisements gone evil.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 17, 2019

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

One part of the game that really freaked me out was the jump scares in the private room. Especially the one where BB headbutts through the glass.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Tertius Oculum posted:

Ludvig Forsell does a pretty dank OST guys.

Heck yeah. I've been playing BB's Theme on repeat. It's so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVavFG7xJ88

Calipark posted:

Finished it. Game of the year. Hideo Kojima has done it again.

I like Tim Rogers saying "Hideo Kojima has finally done it."

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I think you need to eat the ones in your room and then poop to get the #2 grenades.

I cannot believe I typed this.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Re: Trailers (big spoilers)

It's wild how the final one has so much late game footage. Like it shows the final scene at the incinerator.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

So slightly inspired by Death Stranding, I watched Drive and Only God Forgives, and I enjoyed them. What other Refn films should I look into?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

While I do agree that Higgs could have been handled better, Troy kills it as him and his performance shows how much Mass Effect 3 wasted him on Kai Leng lol.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah Troy did a great job, but i still didn’t really like higgs as a villain, he was just kind of...there

I prefer the headcanon I established, of him as a guy who played too many video games and then got superpowers. A Gamer boss. This is lore-friendly, as video games canonically exist in death stranding

That gives level 7 DOOMS a whole new meaning. :aaa:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Haters can eat a butt. The "I'm Fragile, but not that fragile" line rules

It's a bad line, but I do like how it became an inside joke between them by the end. I liked Sam and Fragile's friendship.

By far my favorite bad line in the game was "I brought you a metaphor." Like, it's not even "so bad, it's good" it's just bad, but it still fits so I roll with it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Quinton posted:

See Also: cryptobiotes , and snacking thereupon. I smiled a couple times.

Yeah, I thought it was cute to see Sam steal a cryptobiote from her at one point and then at the very end be the one to offer her one to eat. It was a heartwarming payoff. :unsmith:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I would be totally down with Oscar Issac playing the protagonist of a sequel.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Describe Death Stranding in 3 words

Sam, it's Die-Hardman

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

ghostinmyshell posted:

Made it to Knot City in the intro and had to stop. Man it looks so good. I envy you that can run better than I can.

Pretty much stuck at 60fps at 1440p with an i5-2500k and 980TI. Minor hitches when loading new things but totally playable so far.

I have similar specs so that's good to hear that it runs well

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I jokingly made a post on Twitter about how Death Stranding does a story about America better than Hamilton, but I'm now wondering if there's some truth to it. I really need to get to my next playthrough and refresh myself with the story.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Shinmera posted:

Made some fan art today:

This is good. We need more Death Stranding fan art.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Game is absolutely gorgeous, even though I just have an i5 processor and a 1070 card. There's some slowdown during cutscenes (about the same quality as the console version), but in-game is super smooth so far.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

On the bright side, video game trends have decreed that in the next game you will play as young Lou returning to the porter life with her dad Old Man Reedus and she will have a grappling hook and bow and possibly a cyber horse. I jest, but I also do not jest because this would be really cool.

And if you want to change things up mechanically have her have a different level of DOOMS

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Now I'm thinking of Desert Bus, but it's a drive across the Death Stranding world. :allears:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Looks like we'll be getting a Kojima edited trailer
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1414500821744590851?s=19

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Kojima is right and he should say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Midjack posted:

It's the Private Room!

Distinct lack of advertisements for Ride Along with Norman Reedus. Disappointing. :(