Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

How much do you guys fast travel? I've only used it once. Just seems like more of a hassle and less fun than just traversing the map. The amount of stuff I've found out in the wild has made it worth it I think. It's also probably why I'm in early chapter 5 with a play time that is close to what some people have reported as being the whole game lol.

I did it once then said gently caress that cause you have to remake all your gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think it’s stupid that you can dismantle other players structures but can’t dismantle vehicles they keep leaving in the middle of roads.

Stop leaving your vehicles on the roads people.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

tweet my meat posted:

Just did the math on how much ceramics and metals I'm gonna need for completing the highway and now I need a drink. This is gonna be one hell of a grind.

If you find delivery missions for those materials you can instantly take them out after you make the delivery.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Since I’ll never find out because I don’t plan on killing anyone does killing mules/terrorists cause them to stop despawnin, but also makes it become a BT area?

No. Die Hardman warns against killing miles but nothing really happens. I’ve killed a few when I ran out of bolo rounds. They respawn eventually.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea once I finished chapter 3 no one was contributing any materials in my game.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Yeah, I figure they come back over time, but I meant in one instance or encounter or whatever. Like, can I clear the BT territory for at least a little bit of time? I ask because I used seven grenades killing em last night and there was still at least one in the area, and that at least seemed like a lot of them for as early on as I am. But, like, I dunno what their numbers are normally like or whatever. I dunno if I coulda cleared it for a bit with another 'nade or two, or if I did the prudent thing when I decided to just keep moving to the next closest distro.

Get caught. Kill boss. It clears the area for a few minutes.

I had a collect lost items for the craftsman I think in a BT area. It basically gave me enough time to get the materials then they came back as I was leaving.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Haha I just delivered a literal playstation 1, 2 and 3

Don’t forget the Vita!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That doesn't quite resolve the question adequately. The weighted cargo containers have specific labels (outside of the main UI...for some reason)

There’s probably no set volume. Cause one XL container could be varying amounts of kg. Each would take up one XL space.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raptor1033 posted:

There was a porter chilling in the shadows of the vehicle ramp at the southern distribution center and I beaned him with a trike at full speed. Lost 100 likes, his buddy got terrified and ran off, his cargo fell off, and he laid there with two orange stars above his head with some strands connecting them. I laughed my rear end off then tried to help him but I didn't get any prompts or beration, so I think I'm fine? :shrug:

The two stars just means they're knocked out.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
God drat I hate mountains.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

I walked past a truck on the way up to a particularly high point of a mountain and did not understand how on earth they managed to get it up there

Lots of jumping.

The vehicle physics on rocky and uneven surfaces are wonky af. Boost jump boost jump will get you up some rough places if you have the patience.

I think it was outside the weather station I basically jumped my way across the jagged rocks on a trike.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So for this pizza quest how do I keep it flat when every option seems to place it vertical on my back or in my hands

Edit: To be specific I loaded it on a truck to get it there, I am worried that when I pop out of this cargo menu to carry it to the bunker I'm gonna fail it

You won’t fail it if it’s vertical for a little bit.

The first pizza delivery I did I pretty much ran while it was vertical on my back the whole way and it was only like 8% damaged. The second one I threw it in a truck and it was fine.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it ever revealed who/what is in Higgs' BB pod?

Yes.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Higgs looks like Bradley Cooper and it’s hilarious.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raptor1033 posted:

The time slow down can be annoying but not in a angry making way for me. What really gets my goat is the power interruption for vehicles and other electronics, I very nearly went flying off a floating highway with a truck full of materials that way. Was legit breath catching. In the same vein, the super zoom in the camera does when you leave a BT zone, that's really hosed with my driving many times.

I fell off the road twice near Conan O’Brien cause of the slowdown. I just don’t boost through BT areas anymore, just ride at normal bike speeds.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Colonel Whitey posted:

What happens when you barrel a truck straight through a bt area

If you get caught in the tar you can boost out if you have nice flat terrain and nothing to get caught up on.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I’m at chapter 11. Roughly how many hours do I have left if I just do story stuff?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Man why do the dang roads require so many resources? I guess you have to earn that convenience but it’s quite a lot. The game seems to allow contributions from other players up to certain amount but it gets stuck there and makes me contribute the rest without online contributions ever increasing. The last time I had other players actually complete a section of road was shortly after I first arrived at the start of chapter 3. I’ve personally completed basically everything from just north of the Edgar Wright distro center to Conan’s house. The last few leading to South Knot are going to be a total pain to complete, and I still have the whole western side of the map to do. I know clearing out MULE camps is a good way to get resources but it’s not really enough, I have to wait for that stuff to respawn after I steal it and I don’t want to totally deplete the distro centers. I’m determined to finish the road network though, it’s bringing out my completionist tendencies.

Don’t do the mountain roads. I’m glad I didn’t do anything past the incinerator.

I saw one that said 9000 ceramics or some poo poo and I was like nope.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think I'm right on the cusp of starting chapter 4 and I wanna chit chat about this game but want to avoid story spoilers. Gameplay/item spoilers I can live with. Should I bookmark this thread or wait until I'm done?

Edit: One thing I do want spoiled, does anyone give you a proper camera in this game to activate a real photo mode, and can I get it at this point? That was my favorite part of HZD.

Edit2: If I don't end up not staying I just want to say that as someone who loved all the MGS games, up to and including MGS4, and as someone who enjoys just walking/driving around slowly in GTA4/V and taking in the sights....this is slowly becoming my favorite game of all time.

This thread is pretty good about story spoilers. Just avoid the black bars.

I went in almost completely blind, just saw some of the trailers and a couple minutes of the Kojima gameplay footage. I wasn't spoiled by anything in this thread.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol that's crazy. I've definitely tried to max out timed deliveries by just wheelie boosting through a whole area and yeah I don't remember getting any big bonus for it either.

It's so much fun seeing all of Kojimas odd sensibilities for various parts of gaming and telling a story applied to something other than MGS. There were so many times in the beginning of this game where I was like "wtf is this" and then I remember oh right he did that in MGS too.

Like why the gently caress is this guy named Diehard Man and no one thinks it's weird enough to explain....oh wait *gestures towards every single bad guys name in any MGS game ever*.

Edit: Is it normal to have not had a big introduction to either Heartman or Mama even if you've gotten to almost the end of chapter 3? I know I've seen footage of Sam interacting with them before but I've only had them as bit players and holograms so far. I thought maybe I just didn't do whatever optional mission leads to that in the starting area but then I thought I heard mama mention she's actually south of lake knot or something?

You get introduced to them. You didn't miss anything.

And the characters in this game love explaining their names.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
So Chapter 15 this is the end where you can just finish up deliveries right? There's no more story stuff?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Avynte posted:

I don't think so? Someone correct me if I missed a line tucked away somewhere though.

My best guess is because the sky is covered in Chiral crystal infused clouds covering the world, they somehow impart their time manipulating properties to the rain. As to why the sky is a solid blanket of Chiral clouds? The death stranding? v:shobon:v

It's in an email from Heartman.

Timefall happens when chiral clouds mix with gamma radiation generated by lightning strikes.... or something like that. And it causes a distortion in space time.

American McGay posted:

It's one of those ominous looking baby dolls you see constantly around Cliff's character. It's never really explained how or why or what sort of benefits having that in his pod provided, just that it wasn't a real BB in there.

The plastic doll seems to be Amelie's "connection" item to other characters. As mentioned it's in Higgs pod as a way to channel her powers. Die Hardman uses it to get to her beach. They're also around Cliff on his beach, which is probably how he can control BT's, like Higgs.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Timefall happens because God is crying Probably because of something you did

I dropped a pizza once.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Kojima's brain is truly broke after Peace Walker MGS4.

Speaking of. There was chat earlier in the thread about the writer. And Kojima actually is one of three writers in the game according to the end credits. Just that one guys name shows up as the writer in the beginning credits.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

How do you even bring them to the incinerator? You can’t pick up bodies or anything.

What actually happens if you trigger a void out? Now I kind of want to try haha.

I only killed one guy and then reloaded my game so I haven’t actually seen any of that.

Edit:

Oh that’s not very cool then meh.

I killed some mules and deadman called me a bit after and said I need to dispose of the bodies and he marked them on the map. I eventually got a game over cause of the void out.

I’m assuming after you get that call the bodies are wrapped up for transport. I didn’t check.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

They're wrapped up but you have to carry them on your back, to the exclusion of nearly everything else.

The incinerators are kind of distant from the rest of the game's places so you have to carry a dead body for 2-3km+ and the terrain is not exactly conducive to driving

You can drop them in tar too, according to the badly acted junk dealers girlfriend.

And there’s an incinerator to the west of the craftsman, right off a road.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also just generally speaking you gotta remember how fundamentally disconnected and scattered everyone is. Just because repatriates are documented at some point doesn't mean you can find them again. There's also a lot of knowledge that was lost and exists in only partial form at best, so documented cases of other repatriates might be decades old and fragmented.

Die Hardman mentions early on Sam is the only repatriate working for Bridges. There’s definitely more out there.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

No but I at least answer the door instead of Facetiming him from the toilet.

If it's gonna be characters like the junk guys girlfriend, everyone can stay inside.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The sensation you get from setting up a complete Zipline network to the doorstep of every destination in the Easter Region should be downright illegal :fap:.

edit: Actually, the Ziplines kinda raise a big question; If they can slingshot one loner with a couple hundred kilos dangling from a handcuff across the sky, why can't they build maglev trains to do the same between the Centers and Knots?

It’s way easier to build zip lines than building a train system that’s just gonna be destroyed by time fall.

They could probably build underground trains though.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lanth posted:

So, is it normal for (CH12) boss fights to trigger instantly without warning in BT zones when delivering the cryptobiotes to Fragile? Happened twice now. Both times on a bike, driving at a walking pace, carefully maneuvering away from wherever the odradek was pointing like I've done a hundred times before. No animation or pulling Sam down, just instant oil field with the squid and later on three lions charging at me.

I guess this is to discourage the usage of vehicles, but drat, son.

Yes. I ran into the squid. Then I ran into 4 of the loving lion things and died twice. I managed to avoid the lions by going over the mountain instead of around it. Then the last one seems mandatory as it’s right outside the city

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
The quad rocket launcher is the real MVP through the last few chapters of the game.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
51 hours for me. Built a lot of roads. Only maxed out 8 delivery points.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok I'm still a bit hazy on how voidouts work in the lore. The prologue shows the dude being eating as still alive trying unsuccessfully to suicide via gun and knife. I don't understand what difference it makes if the voidout happens either way if you're dead or alive.

It doesn’t. Seemed like he just wanted to die and not be turned into a BT.

I think that’s how it works. If u get caught while still alive u turn into a BT. If your body is dead it goes necro and voids out.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I gotta read more of the emails. I thought it was mentioned that dead bodies cause void outs, and that years ago terrorists used to kill someone and hide the body.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't get the logistics of the scene where (ch4/5) Fragile is being force marched through timefall to bring a nuke...…..somewhere else? It sounds like she made a choice between two cities getting nuked but I don't understand why what she did was the better choice

She had a choice between jumping out to save herself and letting the nuke go off or carrying the nuke to the pit, saving everyone but loving herself up.

This is the second time Higgs tried to get her to nuke a city. She caught on to what was happening this time and tried to stop it. Previously she delivered the bomb and destroyed one of the knot cities. That’s why people distrust Fragile Express.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 20, 2019

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ok so the city that she DID get nuked was a completely unrelated thing to that scene? She said something about another place where a bunch of people died but I can't recall exactly what was going on. Or have all the previous conversations about her and nuking cities been referencing this scene where she almost did, but didn't?

I edited my post to include it. But yes. This was the second time.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

I don't think they every explicitly spell it out. But it probably something to do with how time works on the beach and it's leaking into the physical world along with the BTs? Seems like a good enough explanation.

Timefall is caused by chiral matter in the atmosphere and radiation combining. It’s in an interview from Heartman.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Navigating the spoiler minefield to pose a game mechanics question:

I realized today that I've never actually hovered over Sam on the map, it's cool that it shows all your stats and stuff. My question though is, why are some of the meters flashing? In this screenshot I'm wearing the power skeleton, so is it meant to show the boost I'm getting from it?

Yes. It’s the bonuses from gear.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

I'm so god drat close to having a fully-complete road network but the swamp sections need loving dummy amounts of ceramics.

Yup. That's when I stopped building roads and went to zipline life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah I've read that one before but what about the physical Amelie that went on an expedition west? The one that got kidnapped? The Amelie that everyone in the real world is talking about making president? The Amelie baby that was birthed from Bridget? In the physical world it's heavily implied that Amelie is Bridget's daughter. 2 distinct people with their own bodies. I guess they can have one soul but 2 different bodies? But the singular soul is stuck on the beach? Even though their physical forms are both doing stuff in the real world? I thought you can't do that in lore. You're either on the beach or in your body

Theres no physical form of Amelie. DieHardman starts to speculate in a recording (before going to confront her on the beach) that no one has ever met Amelie, and it’s convenient that she’s the only “survivor” of one of two teams that went out west that was sent by Bridget. The rest of the gang also never met her in person. She’s able to project herself through the chiral network. It’s presumed that’s how she would rule as president.

Amelies cover was when she was younger she was always sick and spent most of the time in the hospital. She never existed in the physical world. Sams memories of her were on the beach.